Staying at POP vs. Port Orleans RS

zstyles

Mouseketeer
Hey All! Looking for a little guidance. We are looking to stay in November and have pricing for both Pop and Port Orleans RS. This is a birthday trip for one adult and one child (7) and I wanted the full in disney look and was wondering if Port Orleans was a little more hotelish with disney thrown in?

Its just one adult and one child and the pricing isn't really an issue but more of an experience. We were going for a priness themed room at PORS vs. a standard room at Pop..the one thing I like about POP is the skyliner...

I am going back and forth because we don't really don't mind the value resort, but would like some thoughts....

Thank you all!

Port Orleans is much nicer. But the Skyliner can be a game changer. Which parks are you visiting? Will the Skyliner be an issue on many of your days?

Depending on how much you would be saving, I could make a case for staying at Pop and using the savings to have a nice meal at the castle for a princess fix.

Pop doesn't exactly have great Disney theming. Never stayed at PORS but it's pretty popular, maybe the most popular, of the moderates. If theme is important for you, have you considered AoA instead? Much more kid friendly theming than Pop.

I think it boils down to what sort of trip you're taking. If you're looking to be at the parks a lot - especially EP and HS - I think Pop/AoA is the better choice just because of the Skyliner. It really is a game changer. If not and Resort is more important - or if you plan to spend more time at MK - then PORS makes more sense.

Port Orleans is much nicer. But the Skyliner can be a game changer. Which parks are you visiting? Will the Skyliner be an issue on many of your days?

Depending on how much you would be saving, I could make a case for staying at Pop and using the savings to have a nice meal at the castle for a princess fix.

Its about 1k difference for the time staying, I was thinking the same thing just do more "stuff" and maybe add a day to go to a waterpark or something....its a tough call!

We are going to go to all the parks but MK for two days and Epcot and HS for one day also but its probably going to be it. (staying 6 days total with 5 at parks...one day at the resort or someplace else)...

Hey All! Looking for a little guidance. We are looking to stay in November and have pricing for both Pop and Port Orleans RS. This is a birthday trip for one adult and one child (7) and I wanted the full in disney look and was wondering if Port Orleans was a little more hotelish with disney thrown in?

Its just one adult and one child and the pricing isn't really an issue but more of an experience. We were going for a priness themed room at PORS vs. a standard room at Pop..the one thing I like about POP is the skyliner...

I am going back and forth because we don't really don't mind the value resort, but would like some thoughts....

Thank you all!
You definitely want Pop Century or Art of Animation for that.

AoA would be best-you could go Little Mermaid at AoA.

For Pop Century I would go 1950s-it has Lady and The Tramp.

If you do stay at Pop Century be sure to spend some time at AoA-especially the CARS section at night.

Personally I would go Pop Century or AoA,enjoy the amazing Disney Skyliner and use the Grand for some awesome FUN MONEY!

1687449730969.png

Last edited:
So while the skyliner is a nice perk for your epcot and dhs days, you have to consider if you're ok with taking the bus all your park days at POR, or 2 days for MK only at POP. You also can run the risk of the skyliner being down which is common in the rainy/summer months but likely not an issue in November, but it does and can happen so the skyliner is not guaranteed to be running all the time.

Both resorts have some good and bad imo. POP's bus is easier since it's only one bus stop, POR has 4 + POFQ on occasion so could be 5 stops. POP's food court is meh, nothing special, kind of loud/chaotic, but if wanted other dining options, you can hit up AofA or skyliner over to the boardwalk area resorts, CBR, Riviera. POR has a sit down dining and a food court. The rooms and bathrooms are a teeny bit smaller at POP. The pool at POR has a slide and hot tub, POP is just the pool.

I enjoy the skyliner, but for me, I'd stick with POR especially if you'll have a resort day and a child into princesses. The royal rooms are really cute and the resort is beautiful. The fireworks on the headboard are something my girls, now teenagers, still really love and always talk about.

We have a trip coming up to POFQ and it's only 3 park days but we usually only do the bus for MK and I will usually uber to DHS/Ep, especially since we do midday breaks. It can get old waiting on a bus or missing a bus since it's full. Ultimately, what it comes down to is that you need to decide if it's more important to have a nicer room/resort, (worth more $$) or have skyliner access.

Ok my opinion, we stayed at POR when my daughter was around your daughter's age. It is a lovely resort but honestly within 10 minutes or so the "princess" room theme was no longer a "big deal". Also, POR is large and has internal buses within it, so depending where your room is located you may have a few stops before you are off to your destination and the same when returning from the parks. POP is just easy, no matter which building you are in, it is not a bad walk to the busses/food or skyliner. The skyliner is wonderful and so convenient. We have been multiple times even in August and had only 1 issue with rain/skyliner in August. All the other months were fine. $1000 difference I would definitely do POP IMHO. AoA is ADORABLE but..if you stay in the Little Mermaid rooms it is a bit of a walk to food/busses/skyliner, not terrible POP is a little easier. You will be going in a much cooler month than August so that would be an easier walk. Put it this way we choose POP over any of the moderates lately. August we will be at POP/POLY that is how much we like POP :)

My opinion has always been that you should make the adult happy. The kids get overwhelmed at WDW and they mostly just want to go to the hotel pool. ;)

We love POR. We had a free upgrade to a royal room and you can't get more Disney than that. The main pool at POR has a really nice slide. And the boat to Disney Springs is a big plus. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel pools or plan to go to Disney Springs, then POR would be a good choice. We have had great bus luck at POR during our last four trips there and the food court is nice.

But I can see the appeal of Pop and the Skyliner. The price is good, too. You just need to choose how you want to spend your vacation. The 7-year-old will love the entire experience, so I wouldn't worry too much about what the hotel looks like. :)

Can you show the child pictures or videos of the resorts and see what she says?

That can build the excitement too!
Unless this is a surprise.

If money is tight though, I would stay at Pop and that $1000 saved would pay for all your meals and souvenirs.
Maybe even BBB if she would like that.

We stayed in a Royal room at POR for my daughter’s 7th birthday. It was a nice experience, but honestly a Pop standard room, which is our usual go to, would have been just as fun.

I've stayed at both and hands down would go POP-I don't think POR is worth 1,000 more.

I've stayed at these two resorts, and only these two resorts. One trip each.

POP was cheaper, but it was LOUD! So loud. Everything about it was loud. The dining hall, the music outside, the decor. I felt like I wasn't on a vacation at all.

POR is more expensive, and more spread out. However we all found it so much more relaxing. The pool is surrounded by trees so that there is more of a secluded feel instead of being out in the open hot sun. I didn't find the bus issue to be that big of a deal. We had to wait out full buses way more at POP.

In the end, I think it depends on your style.

Glad you picked POR. My kids have always loved it there---plus POR has a slide at the pool where as value resorts do not. The boat to DS is nice too---and to kids feels like another ride in itself. We never waited long for buses at POR and we've stayed there several times over the years. Busses in the morning can develop lines, but if one fills to a specific park usually there is another one right behind it a few minutes later. Enjoy your trip!

Glad you picked POR. My kids have always loved it there---plus POR has a slide at the pool where as value resorts do not. The boat to DS is nice too---and to kids feels like another ride in itself. We never waited long for buses at POR and we've stayed there several times over the years. Busses in the morning can develop lines, but if one fills to a specific park usually there is another one right behind it a few minutes later. Enjoy your trip!
And to Adults too-especially at Sunset! :)

1687880892010.png

I know you already chose but I would choose POP or AoA. My experience with my twin girls..... walk into POR room, girl immediately throws herself on the bed and starts crying....... she says POR doesn't feel like Disney. She's right. I heard about it the entire stay.

I've stayed at both and would always pick POR. I LOVED the theming of the resort and the food court was great. POP was too big and overhwelming for me. And I just don't care for value resorts in general. We stayed in the Royal rooms when my girls were small and they loved them. It was a great trip.

Hands down POP! We love it and never had an issue with crazy noise like some have stated. Yep, pools everywhere are going to have noise but we have never had any issues with it from a room standpoint. The skyliner is a game changer from our point of view. We also like walking over to the AoA to checkout what kinds of desserts they have to offer.

These are the exact two resorts we have been considering for our next visit (next August). We'll have a hire car and prefer to drive to the parks.

We may use the Skyliner occasionally if staying at POP, but in August there's an almost daily afternoon thunderstorm meaning it doesn't run and we're left with the bus (shudder!) for our return from the parks. Last year the pool was shut several times and also the monorail when we were dining at the Grand Floridian because of the weather.

Money IS a factor for us as it'll be a 12 night stay, but the comments on here about noise have swayed me more towards POR. I need to start saving.

I'm not a fan of the rooms at POR. I adore the exterior theming but the rooms are nothing special and still have the motel vibe. It would absolutely not be worth the extra money to me. Plus, Skyliner is a HUGE perk to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter