Streaming From AppleTV Box at Aulani?

gmi3804

Gonna ruin Maw’s birthday
DVC Silver
If I bring my AppleTV box, can I use it on the TV in the living room in the Aulani villas?

So… no?
I’ve never tried bringing a portable streaming box to Aulani because casting from my iPad accomplishes the same thing and for me is easier, so I’m not 100% sure. I’ve tried a fire stick at other hotels, and it’s usually impossible. A lot of hotels don’t like you mucking around with the inputs of their tvs, and many times the ports are blocked or inaccessible.

If I bring my AppleTV box, can I use it on the TV in the living room in the Aulani villas?
No - You cannot. You used to be able to (and we did for many years), but they updated the TVs during covid and now Apple TV no longer connects. As mentioned above, you can cast from your phone though.

No - You cannot. You used to be able to (and we did for many years), but they updated the TVs during covid and now Apple TV no longer connects. As mentioned above, you can cast from your phone though.
Thanks!

The TVs use Chromecast as the underlying method to do streaming. You can cast from your iPhone or iPad as long as the app you are using supports that method. The Disney+ app, of course, has it and works.

At Aulani now in a 2 bedroom villa. Here's what I tried and my success.

I connected my Roku stick into HDMI 2 on the back of the living room TV. Using the 'func' button on the bottom right of the Aulani remote (specific to hotel, it is not the Samsung TV remote) - you can switch to HDMI1 (note it is HDMI1, even though you are plugged into HDMI2) and my Roku menu pops up. (General->Input->HDMI1). I can then connect to Netflix. I unplugged my Roku and the TV says no device plugged into HDMI2. Odd.

However - you cannot control the volume. The TV volume is set to 100% and the Disney appliance controlling the TV is how the volume is controlled.

The HDMI cable for the Disney appliance is connected into HDMI1 on the back. When you turn on the TV it says HDMI 1 and the TV volume is 100.

I have also tried using the control button on the bottom middle of the TV under the Samsung logo, slightly to the right of the "SAMSUNG" letters. It does not bring up any sort of OSD, you can only turn the TV off/on.

I then noticed the Disney Appliance mounted on the wall (that is plugged into HDMI IN 1 on the TV) has an open HDMI 2 port. I plugged my Roku Stick into that, selected HDMI2 via the Func->General-Input-HDMI2 on the Disney remote and viola! Roku is working, volume is working. So the "func" button is controlling the Disney appliance (that makes sense) - I have idea why it also let the TV change HDMI ports when my Roku stick was plugged into the TV HDMI inputs.

I have now successfully streamed Disney+, Netflix, and Britbox - the Roku remote controls the Roku selections and the Disney remote controls the volume correctly. We can now have our Pirates of the Caribbean night marathon ((yeah, I know we're in Hawaii).

I also connected my JBL Flip5 bluetooth portable speaker via the bluetooth option on the FUNC menu. It can pair and then I can select it and it says it is connected for audio, but then something overrides the selection and we're back to TV audio.

The living room chest of drawers has an electronics panel that has a bunch of connectivity listed, including an HDMI Input listed as Digital Video In. But if you pull the furniture piece away from the wall, you will find it is not hooked up/powered up (at least in the unit I'm in). However, in the bedrooms, it has wiring and is hooked up and the Digital Video In is connected to HDMI2 of the Disney Appliance. Well, the master bedroom was hooked up, the second bedroom had the HDMI cable dangling. I had to plug it into HDMI2 on the Disney Appliance, but then things worked.

Extra credit: I also downloaded the Samsung Smart Things app in order to control the TV volume with the app, but I could never get the app to find the TV. Nor does the app have the TV model available to select. The TV is a Samsung HG55NT690UF - a specialty model for the hospitality industry - that's why it is probably not in the Samsung SmartThings app. I downloaded the manual and glanced through it. The hotel can disable many functions, including the volume and other controls that you would normally have access to with the button under the TV. So that satisfies my curiosity on the TV.

Last edited:
At Aulani now in a 2 bedroom villa. Here's what I tried and my success.

I connected my Roku stick into HDMI 2 on the back of the living room TV. Using the 'func' button on the bottom right of the Aulani remote (specific to hotel, it is not the Samsung TV remote) - you can switch to HDMI1 (note it is HDMI1, even though you are plugged into HDMI2) and my Roku menu pops up. (General->Input->HDMI1). I can then connect to Netflix. I unplugged my Roku and the TV says no device plugged into HDMI2. Odd.

However - you cannot control the volume. The TV volume is set to 100% and the Disney appliance controlling the TV is how the volume is controlled.

The HDMI cable for the Disney appliance is connected into HDMI1 on the back. When you turn on the TV it says HDMI 1 and the TV volume is 100.

I have also tried using the control button on the bottom middle of the TV under the Samsung logo, slightly to the right of the "SAMSUNG" letters. It does not bring up any sort of OSD, you can only turn the TV off/on.

I then noticed the Disney Appliance mounted on the wall (that is plugged into HDMI IN 1 on the TV) has an open HDMI 2 port. I plugged my Roku Stick into that, selected HDMI2 via the Func->General-Input-HDMI2 on the Disney remote and viola! Roku is working, volume is working. So the "func" button is controlling the Disney appliance (that makes sense) - I have idea why it also let the TV change HDMI ports when my Roku stick was plugged into the TV HDMI inputs.

I have now successfully streamed Disney+, Netflix, and Britbox - the Roku remote controls the Roku selections and the Disney remote controls the volume correctly. We can now have our Pirates of the Caribbean night marathon ((yeah, I know we're in Hawaii).

I also connected my JBL Flip5 bluetooth portable speaker via the bluetooth option on the FUNC menu. It can pair and then I can select it and it says it is connected for audio, but then something overrides the selection and we're back to TV audio.

The living room chest of drawers has an electronics panel that has a bunch of connectivity listed, including an HDMI Input listed as Digital Video In. But if you pull the furniture piece away from the wall, you will find it is not hooked up/powered up (at least in the unit I'm in). However, in the bedrooms, it has wiring and is hooked up and the Digital Video In is connected to HDMI2 of the Disney Appliance. Well, the master bedroom was hooked up, the second bedroom had the HDMI cable dangling. I had to plug it into HDMI2 on the Disney Appliance, but then things worked.

Extra credit: I also downloaded the Samsung Smart Things app in order to control the TV volume with the app, but I could never get the app to find the TV. Nor does the app have the TV model available to select. The TV is a Samsung HG55NT690UF - a specialty model for the hospitality industry - that's why it is probably not in the Samsung SmartThings app. I downloaded the manual and glanced through it. The hotel can disable many functions, including the volume and other controls that you would normally have access to with the button under the TV. So that satisfies my curiosity on the TV.
Wow! Impressive! But if you have the individual apps of the streaming services on an ipad or iPhone, isn’t it much easier to just chromecast everything from your device, and use the tv remote to control volume? What’s the advantage of using Roku? Why go through all that monumental complexity, and risk diminishing some of the hotel services available through the tv? Am I missing something?

I carry around a programable remote control for just this reason. I leave it set on Samsung, since that is what I usually find. I use it to directly control the tv. You do have to disconnect the RJ cable from the back of the TV. Just remember to plug it back in before you leave.

Wow! Impressive! But if you have the individual apps of the streaming services on an ipad or iPhone, isn’t it much easier to just chromecast everything from your device, and use the tv remote to control volume? What’s the advantage of using Roku? Why go through all that monumental complexity, and risk diminishing some of the hotel services available through the tv? Am I missing something?
If you have the individual apps and you don't mind having to enter the streaming code whenever you want to connect, and the apps all behave well with Chromecast, and you don't mind tying up your iPad/device, the casting is probably the way to go.

I didn't have Brtibox on my phone last night, had to get the app, login, and then it didn't behave as I expected. I played with the app some more today and I've figured out how to make it behave as I expect while casting.

The Roku setup is just something we're comfortable with. And it's just there so no one has to get their device, etc.

I carry around a programable remote control for just this reason. I leave it set on Samsung, since that is what I usually find. I use it to directly control the tv. You do have to disconnect the RJ cable from the back of the TV. Just remember to plug it back in before you leave.
Have you tried your programmable remote on the Aulani TVs? They just seem locked down with their hospitality features...

Have you tried your programmable remote on the Aulani TVs? They just seem locked down with their hospitality features...
That is why you pull out the RJ cable (like a phone chord) from the back of the TV. That is what enables the hotel mode.

That is why you pull out the RJ cable (like a phone chord) from the back of the TV. That is what enables the hotel mode.
Gotcha. To clarify for others, then you do lose the hotel television features until you plug it back in.
I prefer my method - easier for the family to deal with and don't need the universal remote.
Thanks for sharing!

Gotcha. To clarify for others, then you do lose the hotel television features until you plug it back in.
I prefer my method - easier for the family to deal with and don't need the universal remote.
Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I prefer my chrome cast method. You don’t even have to enter the code manually if you scan the QR symbol, so it takes about 5 seconds.

OP here. I tried to cast from my iPad, but didn't have "Chromecast" (whatever that means), so it wouldn't work. I'm all streaming at home, so I don't have cable.

OP here. I tried to cast from my iPad, but didn't have "Chromecast" (whatever that means), so it wouldn't work. I'm all streaming at home, so I don't have cable.
Maybe it only works with newer iPads. Whenever I open a streaming app on my iPad , a small square icon with three curved lines automatically appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen, right by the search icon. I think all you have to do is tap it.

I’m sure Aulani installed it on their televisions to discourage guests from attempting to rewire and mess with their video system to attach a streaming device.

Last edited:
Maybe it only works with newer iPads. Whenever I open a streaming app on my iPad , a small square icon with three curved lines automatically appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen, right by the search icon. I think all you have to do is tap it.

I’m sure Aulani installed it on their televisions to discourage guests from attempting to rewire their video system to attach a streaming device.
My Pro is eight months old, so I don't think that's the issue. I saw the casting icon, but it would not connect, and the TV setup screen said something about having to have a Comcast-compatible something-or-other.

My Pro is eight months old, so I don't think that's the issue. I saw the casting icon, but it would not connect, and the TV setup screen said something about having to have a Comcast-compatible something-or-other.
No need to keep dwelling on this, but did you enter the code on the Aulani screen when prompted? It’s really pretty easy. Also, am sure someone from IT at Aulani would have been happy to help out. Oh well. Maybe next time!

No need to keep dwelling on this, but did you enter the code on the Aulani screen when prompted? It’s really pretty easy. Also, am sure someone from IT at Aulani would have been happy to help out. Oh well. Maybe next time!
I did, and I got a successful connection, but wasn't able to cast because of the "Comcast" issue. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal. But thanks for helping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter