Streaming From AppleTV Box at Aulani?

My Pro is eight months old, so I don't think that's the issue. I saw the casting icon, but it would not connect, and the TV setup screen said something about having to have a Comcast-compatible something-or-other.
I think the TV said you need a Chromecast compatible app - not Comcast...

I think the TV said you need a Chromecast compatible app - not Comcast...
Yes, it’s Chromecast. At least with my iPad, almost all of the apps are compatible other than AppleTV+. Its a lot easier than trying to rewire the system to attach a streaming box, which I’m not even sure the hotel allows.

I use my iPad at aulani with all my streaming services Hulu, Apple, Amazon prime and Netflix. And play recorded shows on xfinity on the xfinity stream app. Ive never minded Just watching on the iPad.

I use my iPad at aulani with all my streaming services Hulu, Apple, Amazon prime and Netflix. And play recorded shows on xfinity on the xfinity stream app. Ive never minded Just watching on the iPad.

At Aulani now in a 2 bedroom villa. Here's what I tried and my success.

I connected my Roku stick into HDMI 2 on the back of the living room TV. Using the 'func' button on the bottom right of the Aulani remote (specific to hotel, it is not the Samsung TV remote) - you can switch to HDMI1 (note it is HDMI1, even though you are plugged into HDMI2) and my Roku menu pops up. (General->Input->HDMI1). I can then connect to Netflix. I unplugged my Roku and the TV says no device plugged into HDMI2. Odd.

However - you cannot control the volume. The TV volume is set to 100% and the Disney appliance controlling the TV is how the volume is controlled.

The HDMI cable for the Disney appliance is connected into HDMI1 on the back. When you turn on the TV it says HDMI 1 and the TV volume is 100.

I have also tried using the control button on the bottom middle of the TV under the Samsung logo, slightly to the right of the "SAMSUNG" letters. It does not bring up any sort of OSD, you can only turn the TV off/on.

I then noticed the Disney Appliance mounted on the wall (that is plugged into HDMI IN 1 on the TV) has an open HDMI 2 port. I plugged my Roku Stick into that, selected HDMI2 via the Func->General-Input-HDMI2 on the Disney remote and viola! Roku is working, volume is working. So the "func" button is controlling the Disney appliance (that makes sense) - I have idea why it also let the TV change HDMI ports when my Roku stick was plugged into the TV HDMI inputs.

I have now successfully streamed Disney+, Netflix, and Britbox - the Roku remote controls the Roku selections and the Disney remote controls the volume correctly. We can now have our Pirates of the Caribbean night marathon ((yeah, I know we're in Hawaii).

I also connected my JBL Flip5 bluetooth portable speaker via the bluetooth option on the FUNC menu. It can pair and then I can select it and it says it is connected for audio, but then something overrides the selection and we're back to TV audio.

The living room chest of drawers has an electronics panel that has a bunch of connectivity listed, including an HDMI Input listed as Digital Video In. But if you pull the furniture piece away from the wall, you will find it is not hooked up/powered up (at least in the unit I'm in). However, in the bedrooms, it has wiring and is hooked up and the Digital Video In is connected to HDMI2 of the Disney Appliance. Well, the master bedroom was hooked up, the second bedroom had the HDMI cable dangling. I had to plug it into HDMI2 on the Disney Appliance, but then things worked.

Extra credit: I also downloaded the Samsung Smart Things app in order to control the TV volume with the app, but I could never get the app to find the TV. Nor does the app have the TV model available to select. The TV is a Samsung HG55NT690UF - a specialty model for the hospitality industry - that's why it is probably not in the Samsung SmartThings app. I downloaded the manual and glanced through it. The hotel can disable many functions, including the volume and other controls that you would normally have access to with the button under the TV. So that satisfies my curiosity on the TV.
Thanks for sharing! Currently at Aulani and the kids wanted to hook up their Nintendo Switch for family play on the big TV and this solved our connection issues.

If I bring my AppleTV box, can I use it on the TV in the living room in the Aulani villas?We are hehusband tried in the livin

If I bring my AppleTV box, can I use it on the TV in the living room in the Aulani villas?
We are here now. My husband was unsuccessful in the living. In the bedroom, there are inputs in the front of the dresser. Plug in HDMI and the power cord. On TV remote. Press function until Apple TV page comes up. Then go to settings in Apple TV and connect to wifi. Continue. 4 digit on phone. Trust me, it’s working, we have sports!!!!!IMG_0552.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter