Stroller for 5 1/2 years old

We are locals, so we usually don’t to full days or multiple days at parks. However, my 3 yo son still uses a stroller at Disney. It’s a must for us since it allows him to snack and sleep on the go, which means a happy child. :) For contrast, we did a week long Disney cruise in August and took a 3 week trip to visit my in-laws at Christmas, both with no stroller.

anyone giving you grief about a stroller for a 5yo at WDW is an idiot.

our next trip we will have a double stroller for our 9yo and 7yo (granted, they're short).
I can see where my 8 and 7 year old grandsons would need a stroller at Disney but OMG my boys were monsters by that age. They couldn’t have fit in one if they wanted to. (In my profile picture, my youngest had just turned 8)

Good disciple is the key. Make kids walk in the mornings. Maybe in the afternoons when the kid is really tired (and not just lazy) allow use of stroller.

If you allow kid to use stroller in the mornings, by lunchtime you will be dead tired, and the kid will want to run around instead of eating lunch.

-Paul

I’m bringing my big 23 foot double decker wagon and going to run everyone over with it on the way to SDD who needs rules I will just run over the CM when then stop me. 🤣

Good disciple is the key. Make kids walk in the mornings. Maybe in the afternoons when the kid is really tired (and not just lazy) allow use of stroller.

If you allow kid to use stroller in the mornings, by lunchtime you will be dead tired, and the kid will want to run around instead of eating lunch.

-Paul
Wow. I never thought of it like that. Interesting take and you could be right....!

I wasn't Bringing one for my 6 year old but now I am second guessing. I was considering renting the hard one in the parks.

Hi !

I am an experienced Disney goer but this upcoming March will be my kids first trip to Disney World (3 1/2 and 5 1/2). Everyone I talk to things I am crazy to bring a stroller for my 5 1/2 son saying he is wayyyyy to old for a stroller and I should encourage him to walk. We are planning 8 park days (with resting period back to hotel). I do not see how I can make it through if I don't allow my son to sit to rest or for long walk.

I just needed to vent a bit. I WILL BRING A STROLLER FOR MY 5 1/2 SON!!!

haha :)
Yup- Bring the stroller. You do what you need to do to make your family comfortable and enjoy your trip. It’s a lot of walking. It won’t be as enjoyable if your kid is complaining about the walking. Most 5 year olds aren’t walking 10 miles a day at home. Our last trip we averaged 8-10 miles a day according to my Apple Watch. Now that mine are older, I miss the stroller for holding all our extra stuff too lol.

-Paul
This has never been our experience. If kids need to burn energy they get out and walk and then sit when they’re tired. Kind of like adults who have the autonomy to stop and rest when they feel like it. Intentionally making life harder is not the same thing as discipline. Life is already going to be hard, no need to add extra misery.

Parents don't get a medal for dragging a kid around WDW without a stroller.

I miss the stroller days; now that our kids don't use them it means I schlep more stuff around instead of having a place to hang/put everything!
Yes! I love having a place to put everything! I’m attempting my first trip without a stroller and I’m panicked! Lol My daughter hasn’t used a stroller at home in years but WDW is huge and it saves her legs so we use one.

Yes! I love having a place to put everything! I’m attempting my first trip without a stroller and I’m panicked! Lol My daughter hasn’t used a stroller at home in years but WDW is huge and it saves her legs so we use one.
I remember almost begging our youngest “are you SURE you don’t want me to rent a stroller? Are you REALLY sure?” hoping she would agree just so I didn’t have to carry the backpack all day.

I have a 7 and 10 year old... so June will be our first trip sans a stroller (most likely) however the debate to get one comes down to possibilities like this: We open Magic Kingdom for early entry, stay until lunchtime, get a bite to eat and head back to the resort (Boardwalk) where (since it's June) the pool beckons for 1.5 hours (mommy but mostly daddy starts consuming adult beverages from Boardwalk Joes then at Leaping Horse Libations).

Around 3p its possibly nap time but Epcot is within walking distance so we hop on over. We walk around the World Showcase, the kids are playing that Spike the Bee game, we eat dinner (probably quick service or booth but daddy might head to Biergarten lol) and then boom!! the kids hit the wall!

First it's the 10 year old, who is tall for her age and whose legs would probably tire first. The 7 year would hang on a little longer before his initial complaint, but it will come. All of the running to the water slide earlier catches us to both of them.

Mommy and daddy have just had their first frozen Grand Marnier in France. It is on, but both kids are way too big now to be carried around for too long so:

1. We head back to the resort.
2. We drop them off in the Beauty and the Beast Singalong to sleep (which would get us thrown out of the park and arrested).
3. Oh look, a double stroller!

Only 2 years ago this happened in the middle of Germany... adults rejoice!

This is why we might still rent one.
Gary.jpg

Last edited:
So we rented a double for our 2.5 and 6.5 year old....but apparently the older one got taller than I realized, and she didn't fit into the double...we made do with just our single.

I couldn't imagine Disney without a stroller! DD will be 6 on our next trip and even if she walks the whole time I like having the ability to store a small cooler and our popcorn bucket. No sense in torturing yourself and feel like a pack mule!

Back in 1992 we took our first 'kids' trip to WDW: 9, 7, 4. We did practice trips to local amusement parks in PA and decided we didn't need a stroller for the 4y. JOKE!! The first day I gave thanks for the then fashion fanny pack accessory because it became a seat. After the first day of constantly holding my 4yo I gave in and rented a stroller. When we returned 2 years later I again rented a stroller after the first day. Both vacations the younger two were sharing a single stroller - older one (7 & two years later, 9) sat on the bottom with the younger one (4 & then 6) in his lap. At one point, around the WS the 11yo was balancing on the back and the stroller was making so much noise we were afraid the metal was gonna fail. LOL

Bring your stroller!!

Definitely a stroller! My daughter is 9 and this is the first year we are not bringing a double for her. Even with her barely using it last year, it was good for those long hauls to the parking lot or at the end of the day after walking. We have the MacClaren quest

My oldest DD is 6 and she had a stroller for MK and AK. But didn’t seem to need one at HS. We rented through Disney for hers and she was fine.

My oldest DD is 6 and she had a stroller for MK and AK. But didn’t seem to need one at HS. We rented through Disney for hers and she was fine.
So you rented one in the parks ? Was it easy to push? Did she complain it was hard? Do you recall if a child could possibly fall asleep in the park ones or are they just not set up for that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter