• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for 80 lb 49” tall child

Orlando stroller rentals has a stroller that accommodates up to 75 lbs and 48 inches tall. We rented that stroller when my youngest was in kindergarten. It's called the summit x3. https://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/OurStrollers#

We owned a bob stroller and took it when she was 4. I can't remember why we didn't take it the 2nd trip. Maybe we had sold it or didn't want to mess with it in the airport again. Kingdom strollers rents the bob. I didn't like the x3 we rented as much as I liked the bob that we owned. Bob stroller says 70 lb max but a little over shouldn't be a problem.

These 2 strollers are bulky for the bus but doable. My dh always just stood toward the back door and held the stroller.

I second contacting Orlando Strollers. My DS used a stroller at WDW until he was about 5 1/2 and they always had strollers available that accommodated heavier, taller children.

I would suggest renting either the bob or citi mini gt. It will be so nice to push her to the busses and/to the room!!! And you'll have it if you go to Disney Springs!! Have a great trip!!!

That’s helpful to know your DS doesn’t hit the top of the stroller. We could always do a double wide if we needed to. My main concern was that she’s fit underneath the top.

I rented a stroller for my seven year old 50 inch child last spring when he was recovering from being sick. I got a double one and his head did hit the top. He had to slouch. It was fine for a day, but he wouldn’t have been comfortable in it all week.

There are special needs strollers that are designed for larger and taller kids. Check out the disAbilities forum here on the DIS for a link to a few dealers in Orlando.

We rented a jogging stoller ( well technically we rented 2 singles but used the one only for our Sea World Day after discovering the difficulty the 1st night at our resort of handling 2 strollers and 2 kids ages 5 and 27.5 months) so we only took a single stroller for our younger child who is multiple disabled including having hypotonia ( low muscle tone) that is agrivated by extreme tempatures and extreme tiredness. We tried going back to the resort the 1st day on the oh they will be a lot more active than normal plus up earlier so they will nap. No dice. Youngest who gave up naps at 18 months old absolutely did not take a nap during the break at the resort. Swimming forget it with that particular child of mine who has perfected the death grip on the nearest adult's neck for any water deeper than a tub. I can not recall height and weight at the time of the trip but I did pack 4 and 5T outfits as a number of the 3T items were getting too small. Almost 8 years later ( in January) this same child is just under 5 ft tall, weighs about 60 lbs dripping wet, and wears a size 10/12 clothing size for length only ( finally in a size 5/6 around). We had an older style stroller at home that only went to around 40 pounds for the weight limit and would bottom out the frame starting to bend it over 45 lbs. Due to being in a very rural area getting a larger weight capacity stroller was not the best option for my family on spending money especially since we could use a wagon in most areas in our local community. This past summer at over 9.5 years old is the 1st year that my child has been able to handle the low 90s to mid 100 degree temps of our local fair without constantly indicating to be carried by someone or having a melt down from exhaustion. We have spent the past 3 years prior only bringing our youngest when it was absolutely necessary for the various competitions that we have, making sure that my husband was along when work schedule permitted in order to carry ( while 60 lbs does not seem that heavy kids with hypotonia are not able to control their muscles and due to their weak tone feel like they weight twice as much or more) and using the gator transportation provided for those who are exhibitors in the various competitions in order to get from the parking area to the location where we were 90% of the time.
At this time for a Disney vacation we would try touring at a slower pace taking breaks throughout the day in the parks as we ended up doing back in 2010 ( We loved sitting and enjoying various fountains, street shows, and other free entertainment) while making sure that if we notice any problems we have contact information for a special needs push chair or stroller from an outside vendor available and will use that as needed. I have found a few places that rent stroller brands for special needs children the main ones being special tomato and liberty.

Now our older child for the most part was able to go without a stroller though did take a few short breaks either while our younger child would walk for 10-15 minutes at a time a few times a day, or was carried by my husband. The cousins who were not quite 7 and 4.5 years at the time also did fine though a single stroller was rented for use at Magic Kingdom and Epcot along with a double stroller for Sea World. It was easier to make the runs from one side of the park to other quickly in order to not miss any shows having all the kids in the stollers. At least they were not slower than the slowest adult.

One size does not fit all in the stroller situation be it age or physical size though it is harder to find ones that will work for a larger child short of going to ones designed for those with special needs. While it is not fun listening to people making comments about being a lazy parent and they should make that child walk it is even more heart breaking watching your child falling down because their muscles are not working the way that they should and seeing your child frustrated that he or she can not keep up with others the same age. As long as people are not in my face about the choice to have used a stroller long than the acceptable age of 3 to maybe 4 if they are small for age for non Disney extended to up to 6-7 for Disney tops I will ignore them. Choose to get in my face about it and you had better hope my more mild mannered husband is around because I have a tendency to get quite verbal and will call you out for being insensitive when you don't know the facts. Ask me in a non accusatory tone nicely about why my child is in a stroller and most of the time if I am not in a rush I will give you a short explanation as to the reasons.

obligitory photo of child in stroller. Note the leaning to one side even using harness in stroller

nlOOOrI.jpg

Thank you. I’m a little surprised I’m having to explain the reasons I want a stroller?? I thought that would be a fairly normal thing. Disney is a lot of walking! And you raise a great point about kids still having energy at the end of the day. I know we we will have long days and she’ll be able to get through it a lot happier (and in turn we will be a lot happier) if she’s not exhausted.
You probably would have had less questioning if have shared that your child was 5 years old in your OP. Like you said, MOST kids your DDs side are 3-4 years older.

She'll fit just fine in a BOB Revolution Single or a Summit X3 Single. We had a great experience renting from Kingdom strollers. We just got back and traveled with a 5 & 7 yo. Our 5 yo is 45" and about 46 lbs. Our 7 yo is 51-52" tall and around 60 lbs. We rented a Summit X3 single for our 5 yo, but our 7 yo took a couple of quick turns riding in the stroller and was able to fit. Their heads touch the top of the canopy and their legs stretch beyond the footrest, but they are still comfy.

I know Bob has been mentioned a lot, but the single strollers have a weight limit of 75lbs. I think she would probably touch the canopy if it was open, it’s only 23 inches from the seat to the top of the canopy (a common complaint among runners who have tall children).

Your best bet is probably a company that rents bigger strollers for children with disabilities.

I’m a fellow mom of a chart topper. I understand your frustration. He’s the size of a two year old and just turned one. He has maxed out the growth chart for height. I was in Home Depot the other day, and people kept asking how old he was and then giving me shocked looks.

You probably would have had less questioning if have shared that your child was 5 years old in your OP. Like you said, MOST kids your DDs side are 3-4 years older.
True, ds19 was a big kid, and tall, when he weighed 80 pounds, he was 8 (always off the chart for weight until puberty, 9 and 90, 10 and 100...). Fortunately he topped out at 6’2”, my only tall kid.

True, ds19 was a big kid, and tall, when he weighed 80 pounds, he was 8 (always off the chart for weight until puberty, 9 and 90, 10 and 100...). Fortunately he topped out at 6’2”, my only tall kid.

This. I just googled 49 inches is an average 8 or 9 year old (depending on boy or girl) and 80 pounds is an average 11 or 12 year old. Based on the original post I was guessing you were looking for a stroller for a 7-9 year old. (Personally, I would expect a child that is past Kindergarten to keep up unless there is a reason (disability, illness, etc.) that they can't and adjust the touring pace to their speed. We've talked about this for bringing our niece and nephew some time. The niece could keep up now at almost 5 if we took a couple of extra breaks, but her twin brother probably needs another year.)

As others have said, look into the companies that rent special needs strollers. Many of these have a 100 pound weight limit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter