Student Records Teacher Making Abusive Remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Cake

DIS Veteran
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/05/03/student-records-minnesota-teacher-pkg-vpx.wcco

"Dan Gotz, a teacher at Hibbing High School in Minneapolis, was secretly recorded sneering: ‘She might tell you she loves you, but deep in her soul she does not for having a son like you. ‘She is crying on the inside'."

He said the above and other things. Yet many are defending him online:sad2: Could you imagine if that kid was struggling with life and was told that?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/05/03/student-records-minnesota-teacher-pkg-vpx.wcco

"Dan Gotz, a teacher at Hibbing High School in Minneapolis, was secretly recorded sneering: ‘She might tell you she loves you, but deep in her soul she does not for having a son like you. ‘She is crying on the inside'."

He said the above and other things. Yet many are defending him online:sad2: Could you imagine if that kid was struggling with life and was told that?
I have zero respect for any adult that feels they need to beat kids down verbally/emotionally. This being a teacher makes it even worse.

When I was a kid this kind of thing was accepted and the norm but it was never okay.

I agree that it is not OK...but neither is secretly recording someone, so I'm also going with "both parties are in the wrong".

However, I really wonder how other teachers (next door or across the hall) didn't hear this sooner? It should have been stopped a long time ago!

It’s not Ok for a teacher to make those comments and I’m fine with the kid recording the teacher. The kid has absolutely no credibility unless he has proof. The guy probably shouldn’t be a teacher. He seems to really dislike the kids. If he’s that burnt out, he should leave the profession.

While in most cases I don't believe in secretly recording people, in this case I'll give the kid a pass.
Kids are often not believed on the simple fact that they are kids. Also to me since schools are publicly funded what goes on in the classroom is our business. This recording shows the ugly truth of what sometimes happens in them. Good for the kid for exposing it, and hopefully that teacher loses his job.

I’ve got no problem with the teacher being recorded. Firstly, he’s a public employee paid with taxpayer funds; there should be full transparency in his job. Secondly, abuse situations, in this case verbal, are difficult to prove and reporting any single incident is unlikely to get you anywhere. (Another article said the teacher had been reported months ago. That resulted in the vice principal observing him for a day and concluding he was “a great teacher.”) To be believed, it’s far more effective for the accuser to come forward armed with a mountain of undeniable evidence that shows a repeated and ongoing pattern of abuse. It’s sad that the burden of proof often lies on the victims in these situations, but that’s the reality. Kudos to that student.

Perhaps it's not "nice" to record someone without their knowledge, but I am willing to bet this teacher says vile crap like this often and that is why he was being recorded. He was emotionally and verbally abusing this student and it's no better than if he reached out and slapped him across the face. Wonder how many other students he has abused during his career. He should be fired immediately.

I'm glad the kid recorded him. He is a vile teacher who needs to get out of the classroom and away from kids. He may have started teaching with the best of intentions, but he is burnt out now and it doesn't seem like he likes it anymore.

Here's to hoping he never sees the inside of a classroom again. :drinking1

I’ve got no problem with the teacher being recorded. Firstly, he’s a public employee paid with taxpayer funds; there should be full transparency in his job. Secondly, abuse situations, in this case verbal, are difficult to prove and reporting any single incident is unlikely to get you anywhere. (Another article said the teacher had been reported months ago. That resulted in the vice principal observing him for a day and concluding he was “a great teacher.”) To be believed, it’s far more effective for the accuser to come forward armed with a mountain of undeniable evidence that shows a repeated and ongoing pattern of abuse. It’s sad that the burden of proof often lies on the victims in these situations, but that’s the reality. Kudos to that student.
Those observations are such a joke. Who’s not going to be on their best behavior when the boss is in the room? Of course he’s going to come off as a great teacher when he knows he has eyes on him. Who wouldn’t?

I 100% agree with your thoughts on the recordings. Do teachers have an expectation of privacy when they’re verbally abusing kids in a public space? In today’s modern world you have to be all kinds of arrogant to think someone wouldn’t eventually record you to call out that kind of behavior.

Perhaps it's not "nice" to record someone without their knowledge, but I am willing to bet this teacher says vile crap like this often and that is why he was being recorded. He was emotionally and verbally abusing this student and it's no better than if he reached out and slapped him across the face. Wonder how many other students he has abused during his career. He should be fired immediately.
My understanding is that these are recordings of this guy speaking this way to multiple students. The kid who recorded them wasn’t actually on the receiving end of the abuse. He just thought it was wrong.

I think it's very telling that the child who recorded the insults, wasn't even the target of the insults. The comments were obviously so offensive that even a kid who was NOT getting in trouble thought they needed to be recorded and reported on. I'm glad he spoke up for other students who he felt were being bullied by the teacher (I say "felt" because it's all "alleged" at this point, we are only hearing one side of the comments, but it certainly does seem like this teacher was way out of line)

Disgusting. He shouldn’t be allowed near children.

I can't imagine any context where the teacher's word would be acceptable.

There have been instances where teachers have been baited into saying something they have later regretted. I'm not in any way defending the teacher. I'm a retired teacher. Recording of every word, every action, can create a false impression if not handled within the proper context.

Early in my career, I had lunch duty. Two boys were fighting. I grabbed the one to stop the fight, but before my colleague could grab the other, he was able to get a shot at the boy I was trying to control. Out of context, it would have appeared that I was holding one boy defenseless while the other boy was hitting him.

I guess my issue is with constant recording of everything without people's knowledge. But I guess this is the world we live in.

I'm glad this teacher is suspended. I hope he loses his job! There is no place in education for teachers who demean students in this fashion.

am I missing something? Exactly what did he say that was so Bad? Too many snowflakes these days.

There have been instances where teachers have been baited into saying something they have later regretted. I'm not in any way defending the teacher. I'm a retired teacher. Recording of every word, every action, can create a false impression if not handled within the proper context.

Early in my career, I had lunch duty. Two boys were fighting. I grabbed the one to stop the fight, but before my colleague could grab the other, he was able to get a shot at the boy I was trying to control. Out of context, it would have appeared that I was holding one boy defenseless while the other boy was hitting him.

I guess my issue is with constant recording of everything without people's knowledge. But I guess this is the world we live in.

I'm glad this teacher is suspended. I hope he loses his job! There is no place in education for teachers who demean students in this fashion.
I get what you’re saying but even if this guy was being baited the things he said are inexcusable in any context.

Just about everyone has the means to record/video these days. Heck, I don’t even need my phone, I can do it from my watch. As stated above, it’s probably best to always behave as if you’re on the record. Is it right? I think that’s a blurry line. IMO in this case I think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter