Student Records Teacher Making Abusive Remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The school year should only be 160 days, 165 days tops.

Teachers reach their breaking point around that point every year. Not an excuse, just a fact.

am I missing something? Exactly what did he say that was so Bad? Too many snowflakes these days.

I have read this comment many times on Facebook. People that think this way scare me. I cringe at what happens in their own homes, behind closed doors.

If it must be spelled out to you, he made fun of a child's body (scrawny). He shamed a child for having to go to summer school. He told a child that his mother might tell him that he loves him, but she doesn't.

Do you follow the news? Do you see how many children commit suicide? Self harm? Do you actually believe a child is a "snowflake" because they cannot withstand verbal abuse from someone they should be able to trust?

am I missing something? Exactly what did he say that was so Bad? Too many snowflakes these days.
Did you watch/listen to the video? I’m pretty sure demeaning twelve and thirteen year olds and basically telling them they’re worthless is not in the guy’s job description. Would you speak to your own kids that way?

Teachers reach their breaking point around that point every year. Not an excuse, just a fact.
This man speaks like this often, and has been doing it for years.

And nobody ever deserves a "breaking point" when it comes to abuse. Never. You walk away. You get help. You find another job. You do not make fun of a child's body or tell them their mother doesn't love them.

It was an ongoing situation not reaching a breaking point.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/05/03/student-records-minnesota-teacher-pkg-vpx.wcco

"Dan Gotz, a teacher at Hibbing High School in Minneapolis, was secretly recorded sneering: ‘She might tell you she loves you, but deep in her soul she does not for having a son like you. ‘She is crying on the inside'."

He said the above and other things. Yet many are defending him online:sad2: Could you imagine if that kid was struggling with life and was told that?

If I were Dan's boss.
Buh bye Dan. Time to find a new line of work. Pack up your things and go. The hounds will be released in 15 minutes. And don't let my foot hit you in the rear on the way out. No no no no. You're just suspended for now. That is until we get your last pay check.

So you think this teacher is a model teacher the first 160 days of the year? Give me a break. If they can't handle 180 days a year maybe it's time to reevaluate their career choice.

This man speaks like this often, and has been doing it for years.

And nobody ever deserves a "breaking point" when it comes to abuse. Never. You walk away. You get help. You find another job. You do not make fun of a child's body or tell them their mother doesn't love them.

It was an ongoing situation not reaching a breaking point.

I was speaking in general and I did not say I condoned the teachers actions. In fact I said that my opinion that the year should be shortened is not an excuse for the behavior.

A teachers job has become a horrible job. In the past teaching was thought of as a noble profession. Not anymore. The teachers get no respect from the students or the parents. Teachers are under pressure to raise test scores, grades, and graduation rates, things they do not necessarily have absolute control over yet are finding their pay based on the outcomes.

I believe there will be an extreme shortage of teachers in the near future as people do abandon teaching as a profession.

I'd be one of the first (well, maybe not quite one of the first :p ) to call the kid a snowflake, but sorry, this one is unacceptable. Adults should not and cannot degrade a kid, regardless of the situation.

Yes I think you're missing something.....the teacher was wayyyyyy out of line to tell a 7th grader this, or a high schooler this, or a college student, grad student.....basically another human being. One of the first things ya learn in preschool or kindergarten is how to address another person.....this teacher definitely failed that one lesson.

This isn't a lesson in "can my snowflake take this or not".
Just my honest opinion........:hug:

I agree with most people here, the teacher crossed the line and went to far. Insulting the child about his appearance and relationship with his parent. Minnesota is a 1 party consent state from what I can find. However, I aggree with kdonnel, that teaching is becoming unbearable because they get no respect from many students and their parents. Teachers are there to TEACH your kids, not babysit them. Many parents fail to ensure that they have prepared their children to be able to learn. If you kid doesn't do the work they won't understand the material. I'm sure many parent would be shocked to see how "their perfect angel act" towards the teacher when they are in a group with their friends day in and day out.

I don't care how stressful teaching is, there is absolutely no excuse for talking to a CHILD like that. I also think it's worth pointing out that not only was it hurtful to the child being verbally abused, but it was hurtful to the other kids too, if it weren't the child who recorded it wouldn't have done so. I shudder to think what kind of damage this "educator" has done to the hundreds, possibly thousands of kids that have gone through his classroom. If this were my child I would probably see a lawyer about my options. I would want his retirement income- put it towards my child's further education.

This is unacceptable.

However, I struggle with the idea that students are recording classroom teachers without their knowledge. The last year and the situations we've seen reported in the media should clearly demonstrate how situations can be taken out of context.

I agree that it is not OK...but neither is secretly recording someone, so I'm also going with "both parties are in the wrong".

However, I really wonder how other teachers (next door or across the hall) didn't hear this sooner? It should have been stopped a long time ago!
Minnesota is a single party consent to record state. Nothing illegal about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter