Summer 2023 release date?

Inflation (8.5% so far in the US year over year, not sure what other countries are seeing) + pent up demand + gas increases + ships in new to them location = ouch!

Edit: I keep waiting/hoping DCL will make it to Glacier Bay in Alaska some year... oh well.
what I heard about this is that the cruise lines who have been sailing Alaska the longest get first choice to go to Glacier Bay. Disney is relatively the new kid on the block for cruises.

I’m pretty shocked at the prices for some of the humdrum cruises they’ve been doing for years. I was going to change my February (President’s week) cruise to early June to avoid flying across the country in winter, but not at these prices!

I guess an upside is that I don’t have to spend all day on hold with Costco while they call DCL.

5 guests in one stateroom - 2 adults, 3 kids over 10:
$20,061 for the 10 night Iceland/Norway/France
$22,779 for 11 night Rome to Barcelona

If splitting my family into two rooms:
$9,881 + $12,552 = $22,433 for the 10 night Iceland/Norway/France
$11,158 + $14,218 = $25,376 for the 11 night Rome to Barcelona

Yikes!

edit: just did a quick pricing on Princess. 14 nights Rome to Barcelona. Two inside rooms for my family prices out at $15,384 and that includes drink packages, coffee, soda (the thing everyone says is 'free' on DCL lol), and crew gratuities. Oh my.

Last edited:
I would love to do one of the magic itineraries out of Puerto Rico! Alas this teacher can never take a week off in May!

Ooh... I'm tempted by the 7 nt Norwegian fjords in late August--Norway is DD22s dream itinerary. DD18 just picked a college that starts Fall semesters in September, so it's actually doable for us, and priced better than July cruises. Lol, now to convince DH... We won't have an OBB until after our June cruise...so do we book now...on silver day (and then cancel/rebook when we have the OBB)...or just wait 2 months until we have the OBB. How popular will an 8/19-8/26 Europe cruise be?

Ooh... I'm tempted by the 7 nt Norwegian fjords in late August--Norway is DD22s dream itinerary. DD18 just picked a college that starts Fall semesters in September, so it's actually doable for us, and priced better than July cruises. Lol, now to convince DH... We won't have an OBB until after our June cruise...so do we book now...on silver day (and then cancel/rebook when we have the OBB)...or just wait 2 months until we have the OBB. How popular will an 8/19-8/26 Europe cruise be?
This is also our #1 pick right now and we were thinking of going over a week before and doing a "land" trip in England first. We will be on the Wonder in July but I'm thinking of booking opening day and then if it's cheaper with a placeholder I'll call to rebook once we are back. I'm hoping for one of those bigger OV split rooms on deck 5 or 6 so I don't want to chance those all being gone before our July cruise.

We are eyeing that one too, but that stop in France looks not that interesting and one of the Iceland stops is a little strange, Isafjordur? Also, I wish there weren't 4 sea days. I normally like sea days, but if I'm going to trek all the way over to Europe, I want to get the most port time for my buck! I wish there were more Norway ports, like a straight up Norway/Iceland like the beforetimes.

I also wish it ended in Southhampton instead of Copenhagen. It's much easier to find direct flights to London than Denmark these days. Flights are so much more expensive now than they were when we last cruised in 2019.

We are booked on this year's Norway cruise on Magic in concierge with just 2 of us (cat 3A). The Dream Norway cruise next year with most of the same ports is 11.98% more expensive. Sign of the times.

I like how we can see the prices to get an idea. I’m looking at the 7 nights on fantasy in July and august. The prices hurt but we are limited to traveling on school breaks.

Inflation (8.5% so far in the US year over year, not sure what other countries are seeing) + pent up demand + gas increases + ships in new to them location = ouch!

Edit: I keep waiting/hoping DCL will make it to Glacier Bay in Alaska some year... oh well.
Inflation is not 8.5% year over year. Prior to 2021 it was under 2% for years. The real inflation rate is much higher than the 8.5% number. They are fudging the numbers. What were-experiencing is cost-push inflation which is bad and hard to control. There may be some pent-up demand for travel, but I don't think it's going to last long. Cruising is a great bargain right now. Take advantage of it.

Yikes!

edit: just did a quick pricing on Princess. 14 nights Rome to Barcelona. Two inside rooms for my family prices out at $15,384 and that includes drink packages, coffee, soda (the thing everyone says is 'free' on DCL lol), and crew gratuities. Oh my.
I think you need to keep shopping around.

Yikes!

Which Princess ship if you don't mind me asking...

For other cruise lines? Yes, agreed, that's why I referenced Princess. DCL pricing is getting very difficult to justify.
Princess has some great itineraries. I would shop all the cruise lines. Agree with you about DCL.

I also wish it ended in Southhampton instead of Copenhagen. It's much easier to find direct flights to London than Denmark these days. Flights are so much more expensive now than they were when we last cruised in 2019.
This Summer I'm flying CPH to BNA on BA with AA miles and then BNA to home with SW miles. I'm hoping that all works out. It's not how I prefer to do it, but it was the least amount of miles. As prices go up so do mileage redemptions.

what I heard about this is that the cruise lines who have been sailing Alaska the longest get first choice to go to Glacier Bay. Disney is relatively the new kid on the block for cruises.
That's not how Glacier Bay works, actually. DCL will not be able to go to GB any time before the next round of awarded concession.

Glacier Bay award 10 year contracts to cruise lines based on defined RFP periods. The last one was in 2019: https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

The earliest DCL could acquire a Glacier Bay contract is 2029.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter