• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Super Bowl Predictions?

It's arrogant, but truth be told, of the 4 major sports in the US/Canada, what team would be able to compete with the American/Canadian champion? The majority of the best players from other countries in those sports end up with a US/Canadian team.

The only true "world champion" in a sport would have to be those which have teams from countries competing, like the World Cup in soccer (football).

It definitely is arrogant on our end but for football - does any other football (American football, not soccer) league really compete with NFL? It will never even qualify as an Olympic sport. Speaking of which, that's where we'll see some World Champions coming up. Olympics are very enjoyable to watch. But why do we only watch these events when Olympics are on and not all the time? (Apologies to those who do watch all the time)

American football is the only sport of the major sports that doesn't hold some form of world championship.

Imagine how lopsided a World Cup of American Football would be? Heck, the basketball one has just started to become a little more competitive now that it's become more of a global sport.

The only true "world champion" in a sport would have to be those which have teams from countries competing, like the World Cup in soccer (football).

I like the way it is done in soccer. Manchester City will likely be the Champions of England, PSG the Champions of France, Barcelona the Champions of Spain, and so on. The Eagles, likewise, are the champions of America (using it as an incorrect general term for the USA).

I can't think of many domestic leagues that span borders with a very few exceptions and even those champions don't call themselves the "Champions of the World". It's a pretty asinine term to use in my opinion.

It definitely is arrogant on our end but for football - does any other football (American football, not soccer) league really compete with NFL? It will never even qualify as an Olympic sport. Speaking of which, that's where we'll see some World Champions coming up. Olympics are very enjoyable to watch. But why do we only watch these events when Olympics are on and not all the time? (Apologies to those who do watch all the time)

That isn't really how it works with team/club competitions. If there was another American Football League, like NFL Europe, they would have their own championship to crown the "Champions of Europe" while the Super Bowl would still crown the "Champion of America". If the Champion of America then went on to play the Champion of Europe that would be a separate competition, like the Champions League, but unless the world is competing, and two continents do not make the world, you are not the Champion of the World.

Outside of the Club World Cup I can't really think of another team/club competition that crowns a World Champion. Even the Olympics aren't really a league which is why they are "Olympic Champions".

I like the way it is done in soccer. Manchester City will likely be the Champions of England, PSG the Champions of France, Barcelona the Champions of Spain, and so on. The Eagles, likewise, are the champions of America (using it as an incorrect general term for the USA).

I agree - and the best tournament of all is the "Champions League" (all European soccer champions involved).

To put this bed to rest. If the Philly Special was , check the tape. Brady tried the same exact play earlier. Oh, and he didn't catch the ball.
The Eagles succeeded, the Patriots didn't. Three of the same play in one game? Sounds legal to me.
So McDaniels jilted the Colts at the last minute... what does everyone think of that?? Is BB going to retire in the next couple of years? I can totally see them winning the SuperBowl next year and Bill and Tom retiring.
Belichek, and maybe in less than a couple of years. Brady was recently reporter as wanting to play into his forties. I read that as no immediate plans.a

McDaniel has four kids and doesn't want them to change schools (according to local news, yesterday.)
can agree that we don't know, in a philosophical sense, what the PSI of any of the balls were. Only God knows that.
She doesn't know, or maybe She doesn't care. Bigger things to worry about and all that, y'know :)
Either way ...the win will be forever tainted!
I
:confused3 No? And I don't like any team not based in New England.

I can't think of many domestic leagues that span borders with a very few exceptions and even those champions don't call themselves the "Champions of the World". It's a pretty asinine term to use in my opinion.

That isn't really how it works with team/club competitions. If there was another American Football League, like NFL Europe, they would have their own championship to crown the "Champions of Europe" while the Super Bowl would still crown the "Champion of America". If the Champion of America then went on to play the Champion of Europe that would be a separate competition, like the Champions League, but unless the world is competing, and two continents do not make the world, you are not the Champion of the World.

Outside of the Club World Cup I can't really think of another team/club competition that crowns a World Champion. Even the Olympics aren't really a league which is why they are "Olympic Champions".

I completely get what you are saying and generally on board for it, but what I'm saying is there isn't another professional football (american football) league so technically speaking they can be considered World Champions. CFL has different field lengths and rules. Arena football is different as well. So this technically is the only league since European league folded. Probably should just use Super Bowl Champions to avoid debate. Baseball has the most guts to use World Champion b/c they have the World Baseball Classic, Japanese leagues and tons of other leagues all over the World. NFL at least there aren't any other comparative leagues. Does MLS use World Champions? I really hope not.

To put this bed to rest. If the Philly Special was illegal, check the tape. Brady tried the same exact play earlier. Oh, and he didn't catch the ball.

It was a similar play but not the same. I do agree with you though, there was nothing wrong with either play.

So McDaniels jilted the Colts at the last minute... what does everyone think of that?? Is BB going to retire in the next couple of years? I can totally see them winning the SuperBowl next year and Bill and Tom retiring.

Crap move by McDaniels. Signed agreement or not he had committed to the Colts, in fact even had them hire 3 assistants.

Personally, I think the Patriots did deflate the footballs and Tom Brady knew. One of the biggest red flags was his "phone was broken and had a new one." excuse.

However, I don't think they needed to do it nor did it really give them any real advantage. Just superstitious thing that Brady wanted because he thought it allowed him to play better.

So PATCO will stop selling tickets at 7 pm tonight or sooner if they sell out. I can't get there to buy my tickets that soon. The city is recommending to walk the BFB. I don't think that's a good idea for me because then I'll have to walk back!! UGH now to figure out what to do. This is insane!

So PATCO will stop selling tickets at 7 pm tonight or sooner if they sell out. I can't get there to buy my tickets that soon. The city is recommending to walk the BFB. I don't think that's a good idea for me because then I'll have to walk back!! UGH now to figure out what to do. This is insane!

I feel for ya. Maybe you can get someone else to go stand in line and get them for ya? Ugh. I would not like to walk the bridge, then have to walk all those city blocks and back again. My DH works in the city, so he's staying overnight. I don't blame him. All the trains and subway will be filled to the gills from early morning.

Lucky, from soccer, we have hand and body warmers left over, as we bought a huge box of them last year. Many will be used tomorrow. Squeal, it's tomorrow.

I feel for ya. Maybe you can get someone else to go stand in line and get them for ya? Ugh. I would not like to walk the bridge, then have to walk all those city blocks and back again. My DH works in the city, so he's staying overnight. I don't blame him. All the trains and subway will be filled to the gills from early morning.

Lucky, from soccer, we have hand and body warmers left over, as we bought a huge box of them last year. Many will be used tomorrow. Squeal, it's tomorrow.

At this point I might just send my kids with their father. He lives in Philadelphia so I would drop them off to him tonight and he would take them with him. I'll watch on the TV.

I mean it's insane that they would actually stop selling tickets right? Make sure you check which locations will be open and which ones will be closed. Worst comes to worst I'll Uber over I guess, but I'm sure those rates will be jacked up high. It's crazy, but good/fun crazy. I gotta figure out a good time to leave. thinking 7 am.

I mean it's insane that they would actually stop selling tickets right? Make sure you check which locations will be open and which ones will be closed. Worst comes to worst I'll Uber over I guess, but I'm sure those rates will be jacked up high. It's crazy, but good/fun crazy. I gotta figure out a good time to leave. thinking 7 am.

Someone is going to go and try to get us PATCO tickets. Hopefully they get it for us!

Personally, I think the Patriots did deflate the footballs and Tom Brady knew. One of the biggest red flags was his "phone was broken and had a new one." excuse.
So, again (sorry, dead horse) the player who supposedly reported a ball as underinflated claims he never said that, and who was never ever interviewed or questioned about the claim, combined with the scientific explanation for why a football would be properly inflated then deflate naturally, combined with each phone owned by anyone else on the planet can reasonably be expected to break and be discarded except Tom Brady's - makes you think he knew?

I'm not a criminal, but please don't ever sit on a jury of I'm on trial.

TV News announced that PATCO passes have sold out.

DH and a friend are planning to drive to the airport and park, then take the Airport line into Center City (or 30th Street). I believe SEPTA announced the airport line will be running a normal schedule.

Ooops, looks like we were posting at the same time. Glad you got your transit pass.

Disney Ron, I love you!!! In all seriousness, you make the world a more interesting place!!

Otherwise, we wouldn't have the myths of Elvis being alive, the faked moon landing, and that the earth is actually flat.

I can agree that we don't know, in a philosophical sense, what the PSI of any of the balls were. Only God knows that.

While we're discussing ignoring facts:

God also knows what McNally did in that bathroom, why he went there instead of the bathroom in the officials' locker room, what's the scandalous story he might tell ESPN, and why he called himself the deflator.

God also knows why TB and Jastremski chose the hours after the AFC championship game to re-kindle their phone friendship.

GrnMtnMan should be believed instead of D'Quell Jackson. So let me get this straight. You believe what the NFL says when they've been proven liars in rapes, assaults and concussions. But you poo poo what the actual player who intercepted the ball has to say. And you think I make the world a more interesting place.

I'm not posting anymore because we should agree to disagree. I take nothing away from the Eagles and congratulate them on their championship.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter