Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now the Disneyland closing videos are coming in. Oh man.

Thank goodness it’s just temporary! We’ll all be back before we know it :)
I almost went to the park today after work....almost...but the rain stopped me. Plus I knew I would be sad the whole day knowing it was going to be closed.

I just want all of this to be over already so we can get back to our normal lives.

Welp, here's a good one! SMH

We had reservations at Dockweiler RV Park (on the beach) in about 10 days and we have been notified that our reservations have been cancelled as they will be using the RV park for 'temporary emergency shelter due to the coronavirus'. We're going down for my nDH (non-Disney Husband) to take part in his sports hobby so we had to find another place to park the trailer

So we have booked to stay instead at....wait for it....Anaheim RV Park, where we usually stay if going to DL with the trailer. Normally it would have KILLED me to stay there and not go to DL (because we'll be busy). I mean, it still IS, but that's because it's closed.
Yeah I live near Dockweiler and heard about this. I think it's because Dockweiler is right next to LAX, so if anyone comes into the country with a presumptive cases, they can put them there.

Be fortunate your biggest concern is that of Disneyland closing; for millions of Americans, it'll take years before we return to our normal lives...
A few days ago, DL closing was my concern.Not my only one, but it was one. But It's more now. I just want everyday functions to go back to normal. I'm also still not necessarily scared or panicking, but I am being very vigilant and cautious. And just to give more realistic insight for me:
1. My job I work around small children and visit them in their homes; right now we can still do that, but we must call all parents and are mandated to give them the option to switch to over the phone meetings. Next week they are potentially moving all of us to telecommute to be safe.
2. Schools are closed. So the kids we have to transfer to school districts, their process is going to be delayed.
3. Some smaller stores and restaurants where I live are having limited hours.
4. I live about a mile from my grandparents, who are in their 80's. I'm still trying to figure out if I should go over to their house this weekend. Although they don't seem to be scared they were at the mall yesterday getting lunch lol. But since I've been around multiple people and in different homes throughout town, I don't want to pass anything to them. This also is what stopped me from going to DL tonight.
5. The whole social distancing thing is hard. My church sent an email saying that service will be streamed online. If we want to meet for bible study they are recommending groups of 10 or smaller. Concerts are cancelled. Events are cancelled. In CA you can't have more than 250 people in one space, so anything that has that, has gotten cancelled.

So yeah...I just want everything to go back to normal lol. I'm wondering if more restrictions will be placed.

A few days ago, DL closing was my concern.Not my only one, but it was one. But It's more now. I just want everyday functions to go back to normal. I'm also still not necessarily scared or panicking, but I am being very vigilant and cautious. And just to give more realistic insight for me:
1. My job I work around small children and visit them in their homes; right now we can still do that, but we must call all parents and are mandated to give them the option to switch to over the phone meetings. Next week they are potentially moving all of us to telecommute to be safe.
2. Schools are closed. So the kids we have to transfer to school districts, their process is going to be delayed.
3. Some smaller stores and restaurants where I live are having limited hours.
4. I live about a mile from my grandparents, who are in their 80's. I'm still trying to figure out if I should go over to their house this weekend. Although they don't seem to be scared they were at the mall yesterday getting lunch lol. But since I've been around multiple people and in different homes throughout town, I don't want to pass anything to them. This also is what stopped me from going to DL tonight.
5. The whole social distancing thing is hard. My church sent an email saying that service will be streamed online. If we want to meet for bible study they are recommending groups of 10 or smaller. Concerts are cancelled. Events are cancelled. In CA you can't have more than 250 people in one space, so anything that has that, has gotten cancelled.

So yeah...I just want everything to go back to normal lol. I'm wondering if more restrictions will be placed.

I abbreviated my previous response, so my intent didn't come across well :). But what's troubling to me, is that in reading these forums, most people are naive toward reality -- they think that this will pass over, life will quickly get back to normal and hopefully Disney's spending this time upgrading their parks for our enjoyment!!! In reality, life will not quickly get back to normal -- at this point, it's just a matter of how big and how long the fall out will be. And it's getting worse by the day. Billions and billions of dollars aren't being spent, and many people who count of those dollars -- and even spend money in preparation for them (think airlines flying empty planes, restaurants by Disneyland, etc.) will be pushed toward financial brink. Ultimately, we're talking about millions of jobs that will be lost.

I'm going to be impact by this: I provide accounting services for many types of clients. I have clients who own various businesses (restaurants, photography studios, etc.) and business is free falling. We've performed year-end services for most of these clients , and now we're going to struggle to collect on our bills. We've already paid our employees for the work, and we have other expenses to meet -- e.g. office space here in Southern Orange County, office equipment, etc. Cash flow will be tight and ultimately I'm going to have to lay off multiple employees -- and it's been extremely hard and extremely cost to attract talent in recent years.

My point is... the impact on this hysteria is going to be devastating, with a huge reach. And that's what's really sickening.

Its crazy how many times I've heard the news say that DL was closed in 94 for the earthquake.

according to this link (which seems to have accurate data):
"DL has only closed 4 times since beginning its 7-day-a-week operation in 1985, twice from weather (12/16/1987 (Wed) and 12/7/1992 (Mon)), 9/11, and the scheduled closure on 5/4/2005, as a media event for the 50th. "
I got the closure information directly from MousePlanet's twitter page -- which also had a a retweet from Jason Schultz, ironically. I just checked again and notice that the original tweet that I used has been removed. I've edited my earlier post for accuracy.

I almost went to the park today after work....almost...but the rain stopped me. Plus I knew I would be sad the whole day knowing it was going to be closed.

I just want all of this to be over already so we can get back to our normal lives.
I also wanted to go to the parks tonight, but DH said no, it would be too emotional. And risky. And our church announced it will be doing only streamed services for the rest of the month, too. So strange...

Did you book thru Dapper Days ? Disney has rescinded the non-refundable policy for that event

I still can't get confirmation on this. We were going for Dapper Days. We were told we'd get a full refund (I paid the hotel in full). My question is, if the resort remains closed, what happens to the discounted rate we got at GCH? Will Disney honor it when the resort reopens? Not interested in a refund. We just want the rate we got.

I also wanted to go to the parks tonight, but DH said no, it would be too emotional. And risky. And our church announced it will be doing only streamed services for the rest of the month, too. So strange...

My church has added services so that smaller groups and proper distances can be maintained, but they are also monitoring and making plans in case streaming services are needed.

Yeah I live near Dockweiler and heard about this. I think it's because Dockweiler is right next to LAX, so if anyone comes into the country with a presumptive cases, they can put them there.

Oh! I hadn't thought about that! You're probably right.

Still bummed though. Not bummed in a "Waaaahhh, poor me!!" way. Bummed that these steps are necessary in the first place.

I still can't get confirmation on this. We were going for Dapper Days. We were told we'd get a full refund (I paid the hotel in full). My question is, if the resort remains closed, what happens to the discounted rate we got at GCH? Will Disney honor it when the resort reopens? Not interested in a refund. We just want the rate we got.

You'll need to confirm with Disney once things have settled, of course, but I read elsewhere that (apparently) keeping your same rate is not (yet) guaranteed. A person had booked at a discounted rate and was trying to rebook for later. The CM they were working with couldn't get an answer from their management team. And that was a 'Disney direct' discount, not one due to an 'outside' convention or event.

My daughter knows we are going to WDW, but as she is 4, she doesn’t have a good grasp of time. If we can’t go in May, I’ll move it to another time. This is already a rescheduled trip from the fall due to my Mom’s rapid decline in health.

Fingers crossed everything is back up and running by mid-May. Doesn’t look too likely based on the length of closures abroad, but we’ll see. For now, I’m not mentioning anything about a delay to DD.

God Speed all of lives get back to normal and soon. I sending my prayers you get to vacation at WDW with your mom as planned!!

I’m afraid that we won’t be getting back to normal for a while. I’m in Washington state. I’m lucky that I starting stocking my pantry with extra food when we had the first case and the state immediately stated creating quarantine space across the state. I’m not panicking, but I think being prepared is a good thing. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the parks open up the first of April since my trip is scheduled for April 5. I’m not canceling my trip until I hear they do. Wash your hands! :)

I was in the parks last night but left a little before 9PM. Part of me wanted to stay for Fantasmic & the fireworks but I knew it would be too emotional. Stopped by the ticket booth on my way out to see what they would do about my unused 3 days on my ticket. Good news was they gave me 3 comp 1 day parkhopper tickets that will need to be used within 2 years. Very generous and praying I will be able to use them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter