Surprise, Honey! You're Taking Me to WDW! (6/10) Coming Soon, to a DISboard Near You!

KathyRN137

DIS Veteran
Chapter One:

May 2, 2010

Hello, and :welcome: to my little conspiracy. Okay, okay... so it’s actually a pretty BIG conspiracy!
I promise to share all the plotting and planning with you but if you wish to continue reading any further, you must swear an oath of secrecy...

First, place your left hand on your Planning Binder (or PassPorter, or Unofficial Guide, etc.) Now, please raise your right hand and promise that you will, to the best of your ability, endeavor to keep the details of this surprise trip a secret from the OP’s husband. :ssst:

Here is The Husband:

disneytrip2009tricia1384.jpg

And here is the OP (wearing the pink shirt):

IMGP2865-1.jpg

I’m Kathy.
nurse.gif
You may know me from past trip reports... I usually refer to them as the “Adventures in Autism” series. That’s because Billy, our autistic DS(12), makes every day an adventure... especially when we visit WDW! Our DD(14) is Tricia… or “Trish” as she now wants to be called. They are not part of the Cast for this covert trip plan, but I will certainly be referring to them throughout the report.

Tricia and Billy:

disneytrip2009kathy1689.jpg

My DH is Ed.
cop.gif
Although he deserves 100% the credit for introducing me to The Magic, he has not fallen as completely head over heels for Walt Disney World as I have. To him, it’s a great place to go on vacation. To me, it has practically become an obsession!

Case in point: We were sitting on the couch the other day and something about theme park enthusiasts and Universal Studios came on the television. I sighed and told Ed how much I missed Walt Disney World. His response? “You were just there in November!” :rolleyes:

“Yes, but we’re not going this November!” I replied, pitifully. “We won’t be going back for over a year!” He rolled his eyes as I continued, “I really hate not having a trip to plan!” He just shook his head. Ah well, it’s much more than that, really. It may be difficult for him to understand, but I’m guessing it will be easier for you.

I’ve been feeling rather blue lately and have developed a vague sort of emptiness inside. It’s a longing... dare I say a need... to return to my Happy Place, even if only for a brief visit. I need something to tide me over, if you will, until our big family vacation that is tentatively planned for June of 2011. Notice that I said “tentatively.” That’s been a big part of why I’ve been feeling so blue lately.

Since we became Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members in 2005, I have become quite spoiled… I’ve come to expect a trip to WDW every year. I’m often reminded of the opening scene in the movie, A Chistmas Story. Humorist Jean Shepherd reminisces about Christmas as “the center of the kid year”... the event around which all other events revolved.

In essence, that’s how I’ve come to view our annual family vacation to Walt Disney World… as the center of my year. The months leading up to it were spent planning and preparing for it and the months immediately after were spent recounting our adventures through trip reports. Then it would be time to start planning the next trip.

We were blessed and life was good.

Life has a habit of changing, however, and that change is not always for the good. Without getting too caught up in all the details, let me just say that things have been tight for us financially for the past couple of years. Several variables in our lives have joined together to form a “perfect storm” of additional and unforeseen expenses. By rights I should have cancelled our November, 2009 trip, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. We were pretty much sucking wind financially for a couple of months after that and Ed declared that we would have to forgo our vacation this November so we could get a chance to catch our breath. We would probably not be returning until 2011. I understood, but was heartbroken.

As the reality of our financial situation set in, I became somewhat depressed. Just before our last trip I had announced that I planned to write a book about our WDW adventures, which grew to include the adventures of other DIS families with kids on the autistic spectrum. I had been very excited about the project and had wild dreams of traveling down to Orlando with some of the families to really get close to my subjects.

Then came reality: No Money = No Travel = No Book. :sad2:

I have yet to write a single word.

I slipped ever deeper into my Disney Deprivation Depression. I had no energy. I let my housework go. I let myself go and added ten more pounds to my already ample frame. I found it hard to write. (Here it is, May, and I’m still trying to finish our Halloween trip report!)

I tried to find a full-time job in my field (dermatology nursing) but have had no luck. Doctors would rather use cheaper labor. Meanwhile, Ed has taken on as much extra work as he possibly can. Between that and him going back to school part-time, I rarely see him anymore. Spring is here and I’m in the doldrums.

Something had to be done!

I started toying with the idea of a quick solo trip to perk myself up. Disney’s offering a lot of discounts lately… perhaps just a few nights at Pop Century and couple of days basking in the magic of the parks would help lift my spirits. But, between Ed and the kids’ packed schedules, there just didn’t seem to be a convenient time for me to take off for a few days. And, of course, there was the obvious guilt-factor... so many other things we could spend the money on, etc.

I took the bull by the horns and declared that we would not be waiting until December, 2011, to take our family vacation... we would move it up six months and go in June. That did make me feel better. Somewhat. June of 2011 is still over a year away and I really, really need my Disney fix!

Slowly and surely, the seeds of my plan were sown. Looking ahead on the 2010 calendar I saw that my birthday this year falls on a Friday… a built-in three-day celebration weekend! Just “for fun,” I started looking at airfares, resorts, park hours, etc. I began planning an “imaginary” couple’s trip for Ed and me. I considered options for child-care, park tickets, and ADRs. I gradually dreamed up an entire romantic weekend trip. Surprisingly, just creating the fantasy made me feel a little better.

Over the next few weeks I began squirreling away a little money wherever I could. I increased my vacation club deduction in my paycheck. I was happy when the doctor increased my hours half a day per week. (Every little bit helps.) I bagged the plans we had made for a Memorial Day Weekend Bed & Breakfast trip with the kids... more precious dollars that could be put toward Disney instead

Two weeks ago, I finally took the plunge... I made a DVC reservation for September 30th – October 3rd... the first weekend of the Epcot Food & Wine Festival and My Birthday! :cake: It was easy enough... it wasn’t as though I needed to put any money down and I can cancel up to a week before check-in without any penalty.

Who knows how this will turn out? Perhaps I’ll change my mind and wind up canceling... perhaps I’ll have to go solo... perhaps, if all goes well, Ed and I will be able to enjoy a much-deserved weekend getaway... I really can’t say for sure! Eventually, I’ll have to let him in on my plans but not just yet.

For now, let’s just keep it our little secret! That’s why I’m not posting a link to this PTR in my signature… Ed sometimes pops in to read my current trip report.

Next Up: DVC Resorts and Waitlists... where will we rest our heads?

Kathy

KATHY!!!!!

I am so excited for you!!! :dance3::dance3:

I am really hoping and praying that everything will work out and you can take your secret surprise trip! You deserve it!! :hug:

I understand those Disney blues so much....I never thought it would affect me the way it has but I find myself trying to figure out how I can get back there....by whatever means necessary! :laughing:

Can't wait to read along on your super secret planning journey!! :rolleyes1

Sara

:yay: YAY Kathy!! I am so happy for you, I hope all of this works out the way you want it too. I know you will have a great birthday in Disney.

I'm in :) This sounds like it would be a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more about it - thanks for including me :)

I'm in! Thanks for PM'ing me the link, I never would've found this w/o a link in your siggy or the personal invitation. :)

What a nice surprise to come home to!! I have't even stopped in to my own PTR yet, but had to stop by to say hello! I think your plans are terrific... funny thing is I may be planning a little adults only weekend getaway (with a good friend) for that same time period... maybe that same weekend... :banana:

Can't wait to see how this all unfolds!

Okay, I am along for the ride... MrsK told me about it so I followed her over...

Can't wait to see how your plans turn out...

:goodvibes

Yaaaaay! :yay:

How fun! A trip to WDW! THIS year! And for your birthday!

Are you planning on telling Billy? Poor thing; he has to wait another whole year.

Well I certainly know first hand about needing to get away to Disney! If it comes down to it and Ed doesn't want to go/can't go, I strong suggest you go solo for your mental health. And I don't mean that as a joke, my trip really helped me get out of a funk (a funk I find myself falling back into 7 months later.....)

This is so exciting, Kathy! :yay: I hope this trip works out for you guys and I can't wait to follow along as everything unfolds. :goodvibes

KATHY!!!!!

I am so excited for you!!! :dance3::dance3:

I am really hoping and praying that everything will work out and you can take your secret surprise trip! You deserve it!! :hug:

I understand those Disney blues so much....I never thought it would affect me the way it has but I find myself trying to figure out how I can get back there....by whatever means necessary! :laughing:

The Disney Blues are definitely what is fueling this plot!
I'm so happy to have you along as a co-conspiritor!

:yay: YAY Kathy!! I am so happy for you, I hope all of this works out the way you want it too. I know you will have a great birthday in Disney.

Hey, Tracy! It wouldn't be the same without you here! :goodvibes

I'm in :) This sounds like it would be a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more about it - thanks for including me :)

Thanks for dropping in! Planning is so much more fun when you can share it with your friends!

Kathy

What a nice surprise to come home to!! I have't even stopped in to my own PTR yet, but had to stop by to say hello! I think your plans are terrific... funny thing is I may be planning a little adults only weekend getaway (with a good friend) for that same time period... maybe that same weekend... :banana:

Can't wait to see how this all unfolds!

Oh my goodness, Amy... you're home already!! (Yay and Boo, right?!) ;)
I'm hoping you can get things squared away quickly so you can begin telling us all about your trip!!

I'm in! Thanks for PM'ing me the link, I never would've found this w/o a link in your siggy or the personal invitation. :)

It's my attempt at stealth... :tiptoe:

Okay, I am along for the ride... MrsK told me about it so I followed her over...

Can't wait to see how your plans turn out...

:goodvibes

Oh, that was sweet of her! :goodvibes I'm so glad to have you along!
Planning is so much fun, isn't it?!

Kathy

Yaaaaay! :yay:

How fun! A trip to WDW! THIS year! And for your birthday!

Are you planning on telling Billy? Poor thing; he has to wait another whole year.

Ed and I have actually been to WDW twice before on a "couple's weekend." Billy usually does quite well, although I must admit that I don't make a big fuss and try not to talk about the trip too much when he's around.

Thankfully, he's usually very excited about his aunt and cousin sleeping over!

Well I certainly know first hand about needing to get away to Disney! If it comes down to it and Ed doesn't want to go/can't go, I strong suggest you go solo for your mental health. And I don't mean that as a joke, my trip really helped me get out of a funk (a funk I find myself falling back into 7 months later.....)

Honestly, I believe you! This is truly going to be a therapeutic trip for me, mental health-wise. My "Plan B" in case I can't save enough $$ is to do a solo weekend. (Although I admit I would love to get away with hubby!)

We haven't been away together since we went to Disney for Marathon Weekend in January of 2007! :eek:

This is so exciting, Kathy! :yay: I hope this trip works out for you guys and I can't wait to follow along as everything unfolds. :goodvibes

Thanks, Carissa! I'm so glad you're here! :)

Kathy

I am so so excited for you!! Whooooo Hooooooo-now back to read!
:banana::banana::banana::yay::yay:
Ohhhh I think you should go no matter what!!

Oh, you know I am all about a surprise Food and Wine couples trip!!! I hope it all pans out, Kathy!!!

I love your Christmas Story reference -- you are so right -- that Disney vacation is the event around which all other events revolve is so true in my life! ::yes::

Whew! I'm glad he'll be okay :)

Updated my PTR with a mini-TR of Boston! It's good for a laugh.

I really hope this all comes together for you. I can completely relate to how you feel.

I would love to surprise my DH with a weekend like that (we have similar circumstances, DH enjoys WDW, but I am the fanatic!). I occasionally check out airfares on JetBlue for 2 passengers (instead of the usual 5) but we've never taken the plunge and left the kids for a trip like that (we've gone away for the weekend without them but it's always within driving distance). Aaahh, maybe someday...

Anyway, thanks for including me, for now I will just live vicariously through you!!!;)

Can't wait to hear which resort you've booked....

Oh, Kathy, I'm so excited for you! :yay: I really, really hope it all comes together for you! :goodvibes

Thanks, Denise! I'm excited just sharing my dreams with you all!

I am so so excited for you!! Whooooo Hooooooo-now back to read!
:banana::banana::banana::yay::yay:
Ohhhh I think you should go no matter what!!

:laughing: Can you say, "enabler?"

Oh, you know I am all about a surprise Food and Wine couples trip!!! I hope it all pans out, Kathy!!!

I love your Christmas Story reference -- you are so right -- that Disney vacation is the event around which all other events revolve is so true in my life! ::yes::

It's opening weekend for the festival, so I'm a bit nervous about crowds, but...

...who cares, really?! I'll be in DISNEY!!! :lovestruc

Kathy

I really hope this all comes together for you. I can completely relate to how you feel.

I would love to surprise my DH with a weekend like that (we have similar circumstances, DH enjoys WDW, but I am the fanatic!). I occasionally check out airfares on JetBlue for 2 passengers (instead of the usual 5) but we've never taken the plunge and left the kids for a trip like that (we've gone away for the weekend without them but it's always within driving distance). Aaahh, maybe someday...

Anyway, thanks for including me, for now I will just live vicariously through you!!!;)

Can't wait to hear which resort you've booked....

You'll love it, I just know! ;)

Welcome aboard!

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter