Sweet Tomatoes and Souplantation permanently closing down

I am sad, but at least we ate there right before the shutdown.

Sweet Tomatoes was somewhere we ate off site most trips to WDW.

Sweet Tomato was my daughter's favorite restaurant. They closed in Chicago several years ago. We always visited Souplantation when we go out to California - she'll be said to hear it is closed too.

My grandma LOVED Sweet Tomatoes. I personally wasn’t a fan but I dutifully took her every time she came to visit. They did have some great veggie chowder that I managed to recreate and perfect on my own. I feel bad for all the businesses that will never come back.

We loved this place and don't have one locally so only got to have it at Disney. So sad. :(

I can’t see buffets working in this environment.

I used to go to Sweet Tomatoes outside of flu season.
:scratchin That's an interesting point and one I hadn't though of, although there's no reason to believe the virus is food-borne. I wonder how this will affect the cruse ships that are theoretically planning to sail again in late summer? (Not that I actually believe that will happen.)

:scratchin That's an interesting point and one I hadn't though of, although there's no reason to believe the virus is food-borne. I wonder how this will affect the cruse ships that are theoretically planning to sail again in late summer? (Not that I actually believe that will happen.)
My guess is that crew members will serve the food & the drinks. Guests won't be allowed to touch anything. All condiments will be provided in individual serving sizes. The silverware will be wrapped & handed to the guests as they go through the line or at the table.

While I haven't lived near either in a few years, it saddens me that they are closing. I loved them when I lived in San Diego.

It's not about the food being contaminated, it's all the people who handle the same set of spoons, tongs, etc. There is no way to serve yourself at a buffet without spreading whatever germs are on your hands to every single serving implement you pick up.

This is so sad for me. We used to eat at Souplantation at least once a month here. It is such a great place and has always been the cleanest buffet restaurant I've ever been to. The chain has never been the site of any sort of illness outbreak, which says a lot. Meanwhile, Chipotle is still open...

My understanding is that cooked food isn’t affected, but uncooked food could be contaminated with the virus. Thus, I’m avoiding sushi and salads.

My guess is that crew members will serve the food & the drinks. Guests won't be allowed to touch anything. All condiments will be provided in individual serving sizes. The silverware will be wrapped & handed to the guests as they go through the line or at the table.
:confused3That will be awkward to the point of unfeasible on all those ships that have renovated over the years and gone to island-type stations instead of the cafeteria-type lines. Oh well, but the time I think ships will actually be sailing again, maybe it won't be much of an issue.

Noooo!!! It was my favorite place to eat near WDW. I had wondered how they were going to be able to reopen given all of “touch” areas, but I didn’t expect them to close.

A local family-owned buffet (not sweet tomatoes or souplantation) is doing there’s “cafeteria style”. Have all the same items, but there are workers stationed there to serve you. Tables are moved out to meet 6-foot requirements. They also said they will be enforcing their own “eat and scoot” rule so people aren’t just lingering/visiting and taking up table space.

The big worry is still going to be about potentially infected people contaminating the environment and hard surfaces where the virus might survive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter