Swept-wear medal?

CynthiaC925

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Hi,
I read on blogs that Disney gives medals to race participants who have been swept (didn't finish race due to injury, not meeting pace requirements and so forth).

Just wondering-accept the medal since at least the race participant tried-and paid the fee?

If medal is accepted, wear the medal and accept congratulations since the participant tried?

Thoughts?

This is a contentious issue with strong beliefs on both sides! The best answer is probably to say that the individual competitor should do whatever feels right to them.

I, personally, would never wear a medal I didn't earn by completing the event. People who are swept after giving it their best chance don't have to be ashamed of anything! But the medal indicates successful accomplishment, in my opinion.

You just opened one heck of a can of worms! I was swept at mile 21 of the WDW marathon last year (I had a training-related injury and was kind of shocked I made it that far). In the fog I was in when I got off the sweeper bus it didn't even occur to me to refuse the medal. Now it sits in a drawer. Someday I'll use it to make a shadow box for my husband, who did finish.

To each their own! There are very strong opinions on either side of this issue. Do what makes you happy.

Uh-oh...super messy topic.

My personal opinion - it's called a "finisher" medal, thus I wouldn't wear it or accept congratulations if I didn't finish the race. Otherwise why not give it out at the expo with the race shirt? :confused3

Uh-oh...super messy topic. My personal opinion - it's called a "finisher" medal, thus I wouldn't wear it or accept congratulations if I didn't finish the race. Otherwise why not give it out at the expo with the race shirt? :confused3
I completely agree. The medals are tokens of completion and hard work.
I understand medical issues come up during training that might impede your running goals but I'm sorry. No finish line = No medal.
This gives you something to work for the following year.

Very touchy subject in the runner world.

I personally wouldn't accept a medal for not finishing. I realize that it is my own standard because I am old school. (Back in the days when only the top 3 or 5 finishers received medals) I think the point of the race/finisher's medal is to complete the distance within the set parameters - distance and pace. I agree with a previous poster who said that there is nothing to be ashamed of for not finishing, if you gave it your best shot. Keep working at it. You'll get it next time. :flower3:

At this point, it is between the race director and the individual runner. I just hope everyone has a great race.:thumbsup2

What ever floats the boat. :)

Personally, I don't need the bling.

McFlurry John

I've not ever failed to complete a race, but I have liked the idea I've read from other people of accepting the medal to then put black tape or something around it to provide motivation for the next training cycle while still communicating that it was not a successful race.

Ultimately, it's for each runner to decide if they feel comfortable accepting and/or wearing a medal that communicates invalid information. From the outside looking in, I'll say that I don't trouble myself with what other people do; I'm running the race for myself and I'm only going to concern myself with accomplishing my goals.

I'm in the "wouldn't accept it in the first place" camp.

Yes, things happen - injuries, illness, etc. - but that's part of running. (Heck, it's part of life.) Is it disappointing? Of course. Yes, I've got a couple of DNS races and a DNF race in my history. Those in particular didn't give medals (wait, one did...I forget the NYRR Women's Mini 10K gives a medal), but I certainly wouldn't have demanded one for the races I didn't start, and I wouldn't have accepted one for the race I didn't finish.

To be sure, Disney is not the only place where this comes up. At least they don't drive you closer to the finish and let you out to run across the line (looking at you Rock'n'Roll series). I think a lot of it IS that people miss the word "finisher" in the "what's included" section and someone started pitching a fit that "I paid for my medal!" and someone gave in, so someone else saw it and demanded their own medal, and now the race companies just think it's easier to give it to everyone.

I DO wish that if they were going to give them out to everyone, they had a different lanyard for non-finishers (they know the average percentage of non-finishers, so start there, but have extra of each type of lanyard so that changes can be made if necessary. Otherwise it does seem like they should just put them in the bag with your shirt and stuff.

The best answer is probably to say that the individual competitor should do whatever feels right to them.

I agree.

Each person knows their own situation. Maybe it was a HUGE accomplishment for them to have started, and they feel incredible about that. Maybe wearing the medal for them doesn't mean "I'm pretending to have finished", but something else. We don't know that from just looking at them.

If I say congratulations to someone who didn't happen to finish, it doesn't hurt me. Maybe if I'm not a runner and I see someone with that medal, maybe it will inspire me to try it and train. How cool would THAT be?

Having finished the WDW Half in an amount of time that I personally was ashamed of for me, knowing the training I put into it, I now feel very differently. I finished it, I got the medal, and I was so sick I couldn't go to any parks to wear it. I was ashamed AND sick, and it has sparked many other feelings in me. Should I even wear it, since I was so far under what I thought I would do? etc etc. After healing up and having many months between then and now, uh, heck yes, I should wear it. I worked hard, I tried hard. If I had been a touch sicker I couldn't have finished. If that dancing lady at the switchback had danced a little harder I would have been hit in the face and knocked out and wouldn't have finished (and that was in sight of epcot). By chance I was able to finish when most of my non-running relatives didn't even think I should start.

Heck, I don't even have ANY medals displayed. I still feel like a poser. So I'm obviously very conflicted.

I would hate to put any rules on anyone but me.

And I also feel VERY strongly that when you're spending as much money as we do on Disney races, we deserve to get everything that money was spent on.

Including the reflective blankets, which I have been told are just handed out willy nilly, but I have never seen handed out (despite needing them because 15 minutes after I stop running I get bone-chillingly cold). Asked for one at the Retreat, and was told they are only for those getting massages. Harumph.

I agree.

Including the reflective blankets, which I have been told are just handed out willy nilly, but I have never seen handed out (despite needing them because 15 minutes after I stop running I get bone-chillingly cold). Asked for one at the Retreat, and was told they are only for those getting massages. Harumph.

Still strange about those blankets. I know for a fact they used to hand them out to everyone at the end because I have several that I reused. They definitely did not want to give them out at the Princess unless you paid the $10 for the massage. I wonder if they thought it was too warm, so they didn't stock them:confused3

One of the things I love about runDisney is it includes runners of all shapes, sizes, ages, athletic abilities, and disabilities.

As a healthy person, in pretty good shape, with a lot of free time to train I would have a problem accepting a medal if I didn't finish but that's because I would know it was due to me not doing the work. Most Americans don't fall into that category and for that reason I don't have a problem with them giving medals to non finishers, at least at the 5k & 10k level, I'm undecided on the half and full level. By just signing up, getting off the couch, training, and giving it their best I think a lot of people have earned their medal whether they finish or not.

I think runDisney is better off leaving it up to each individual to determine if they've done the work to deserve it. It doesn't make my medal or feeling of accomplishment mean any less to me so I don't really care who gets a medal.

I have very mixed feelings about this matter. I signed up for my first runDisney event because I wanted the medal. So I put in the training and less than half a mile into the race, I experienced very sharp shooting pains in my legs that felt like shin splints. I strongly considered pulling up right then and there. Honestly, if you had told me that I could have stopped right then and there and still would have received a medal, I'm afraid that I would accepted such an offer and never tried another runDisney event again.

But I wanted that medal, so I kept going. There were still challenges ahead, but there were also special memories to go with those challenges. And in the end, I finished and earned that medal the hard way. If runDisney had simply given me the medal for signing up and showing up, I would still have it either way. But it means so much more to me because I had to fight for it. And I certainly wouldn't have tried for the Coast to Coast the following year or signed up for the Rebel Challenge this coming January.

At the same time, I have also read stories from people who tried and didn't succeed, but returned to fight again. That first "failed" medal served as motivation to fight again. In the end, only the individual knows whether they truly earned that medal.

But I will say that I like that runDisney is very strict about finishing all events in order to earn the special Challenge medals (Coast to Coast, Dopey, Rebel Challenge, et all).

I don't care how bad this sounds, but I don't think you should get a medal if you didn't finish. Even if you make it to mile 25 of the marathon and collapse, you didn't finish. I don't believe you should be able to "buy" the medals, which is essentially what you are doing if you sign up for the race and get a medal no matter what. I have heard rumors that people have pulled up "injured" right after the start, collected their medal, and went on their merry way.

Handing out a medal to everyone that starts the race lessens my accomplishment, IMO. I worked extremely hard to complete the designated race distance in the time allowed. I consider the medal my prize for doing so. I understand that most people work just as hard and injury or illness prevents them from actually going the distance on race day. That's life, people! Try again next time, work harder if it's necessary. I'm trying not to go off on a tangent about what our society has turned into (everyone expecting a handout, too afraid to offend people, etc...)

This topic is also the reason I don't sign up for virtual races (with one exception so far). Even though I know I can complete the distance, I still feel like I bought the medal. I have no way to prove that I accomplished what the medal represents.

Ok, done. :flower3:

I am always so impressed by the posts in the Events/Competition - and the posts on the questions I asked are so thoughtful and considerate of others. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts - you have given me a lot to think about.

I continue to be dazzled by what a supportive group athletes are - you are all amazing!:love:

Handing out a medal to everyone that starts the race lessens my accomplishment, IMO.
I disagree.

I've never failed to finish a race. In our little circle of running friends, I don't know anyone who has. I know a few who have DNS, but that's different; they never had a chance to get the medal.

But to the point, my race is my race and my medal is my medal. I don't feel a sense of pride because I'm part of an exclusive club: "the finishers". No one who congratulates me immediately whispers "well, it wasn't that great because people who didn't finish have that medal, too" as I walk away. I feel pride because of my accomplishment (whatever that may be) and the medal represents that. It's a personal thing, IMO. I don't concern myself with the failures and accomplishments of others or what the medal means to them.

That being said, would I want a medal if I didn't finish? No. Because, to me, the medal does represent that I completed the race.

P.S. Sure enough, my wife has the exact opposite view as me. :p She strongly feels that the medal (and even the race shirt!) is solely for finishers.

I would never wear a medal of a race in which I did not place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

;)

P.S. Sure enough, my wife has the exact opposite view as me. :p She strongly feels that the medal (and even the race shirt!) is solely for finishers.

I already said each person should choose what is right for them - but I actually agree with your wife about the race shirt too! I never wear them until I've finished the event. I think it's bad luck to wear the event shirt in the actual event too, although I see that at every race I run. :rotfl:

Handing out a medal to everyone that starts the race lessens my accomplishment, IMO.
Anyone else feeling the same way can respond, but I'm curious how you view other people receiving medals as lessening your accomplishment?:confused3
I sort of feel the same way. I guess because others assume the medals are for finishing the race...but then they're given to non-finishers. :confused3 Not that I'm kept up at night worrying about what others think of me.

It's sort of hard to put into words...it just doesn't seem right to me somehow. If runDisney called it a "participation medal" I think I'd be more on-board with it, but they call it a "finisher" medal, so to me, I should only get that medal if I finish.

Of course, when they explain it on their webpage they contradict themselves within the same sentence:
"Finisher medals will be distributed to finishers during the race."

Am I still a finisher if it is during the race? ;)
I would never wear a medal of a race in which I did not place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

;)
:rotfl: I'd never get to wear a medal if I had this philosophy!
I already said each person should choose what is right for them - but I actually agree with your wife about the race shirt too! I never wear them until I've finished the event. I think it's bad luck to wear the event shirt in the actual event too, although I see that at every race I run. :rotfl:
I'm another one that doesn't wear the race shirt until after I've finished the event. It's sort of become a weird superstition for me...

My brother signed up for Goofy in 2013 but ended up not being able to put the training in, and wound up running the half and not starting the marathon - his marathon and Goofy shirts went to my mom, who wears them while doing yardwork and whatnot. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter