Swept-wear medal?

I see 2 issues here. What do you do if given a medal for a race you didn't complete? What should Disney's policy be about giving medals to people who don't finish?

[snip]

Actually the second issue is: do you participate in a race in which the organizer gives "finisher" medals to those who do not finish?
-- Suzanne

Actually the second issue is: do you participate in a race in which the organizer gives "finisher" medals to those who do not finish?

It's not clear why you think that is the relevant issue as opposed to what Disney's policy about finishing medals should be, but I'll bite.

Yes, I would still participate. On the whole, I enjoy the runDisney experience. I like the organization, the course entertainment, the excuse to visit Disney, the motivation to train, etc. Are there things I would change? Definitely. The finisher medal is one of them, but I wouldn't boycott the race because of it. Some people want better food; some want more swag; some don't want spinner medals. I suspect that most people continue to participate in runDisney events because they value the overall product, even if there are certain aspects they don't like.

How awkward would a conversation with a fellow Disney runner be if the person being asked didn't finish:

**P1 sees P2 wearing finishers medal**

P1 (Finisher) = "Hey great job! Is this your first runDisney race?"

P2 (Nonfinisher) = "Thanks. Yes it was my first race. Great course!!"

P1 = "I know right. If I may ask how'd you do time-wise?"

P2 = "Oh well I didn't quite finish. But I had fun"

P1 = "Great."

I know it wouldn't go like that but what a awkward spot to be put in, in both cases honestly.

Is there a less polarizing topic we can discuss?

For instance, what is the one true religion? :rolleyes1

It's not clear why you think that is the relevant issue as opposed to what Disney's policy about finishing medals should be, but I'll bite.

Yes, I would still participate.

You comparison to diplomas in your prior post made me think that the issue could be reframed. I would certainly try to avoid attending a school that gave diplomas whether or not you completed the requirements for graduation.

That, and basic message of the Serenity Prayer. -- Suzanne

As Disney's policy becomes more widely known, people (including fellow runners) may question whether someone displaying a medal actually finished a race. I am not a born runner. I truly earned all of the medals that I display. I don't want there to be a doubt from anyone that I did.

To those of you who believe that it doesn't diminish your accomplishment, you're right. You finished the race; no one can take that away. But, if the public perception of a medal is that you started a race as opposed to finished a race, the value of wearing that medal proudly to the parks is diminished.

This is true, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

First and foremost the races are quite expensive. The offhand stories of people barely starting a race and quitting just to get a medal seem apocryphal to me; as much as runners balk at the price for the experience and swag, people believe there are people jumping to pay that just for the medal? Even with the race appealing to more 'recreational' runners and non-runners, most of the people in those camps sign up planning to start and finish the race, and the majority of runners do finish the races.

Secondly, there's also a disappointment/embarrassment factor at play. The medals are a conversation starter among other runners and non-runners alike. People who failed to finish their goal typically aren't looking to re-live that for the rest of their vacation; it's probably hard enough seeing all the smiling, happy finishers afterward without wearing a medal and prompting questions about their experience.

I'm sure there are others we could think of, but these seem like two pretty solid reasons why people assume those wearing their medals afterward are in fact finishers and why they're likely to continue making that assumption in spite of the runDisney practice of giving medals to those who DNF. In only the rarest instance is that assumption likely to be wrong.

For a time I wasn't sure it was right... now I am on the other side. :confused3 My husband broke his big toe the evening of August 14th around 9pm and can't run. The last day for deferral was August 14th, so we could not defer him (we confirmed it was broken the next day with an xray). Disney does not allow you to give away your bib to someone else - if you try to sell it you could be banned from all future RunDisney events. So, he is going to be getting absolutely nothing for his money and can't be rid of his entry. I could see why someone would at least want the medal - for the record he can't even walk well on his foot so no, he will not be coming with me Saturday. Not even a hope to be swept under the circumstances. :sad1:

For a time I wasn't sure it was right... now I am on the other side. :confused3 My husband broke his big toe the evening of August 14th around 9pm and can't run. The last day for deferral was August 14th, so we could not defer him (we confirmed it was broken the next day with an xray). Disney does not allow you to give away your bib to someone else - if you try to sell it you could be banned from all future RunDisney events. So, he is going to be getting absolutely nothing for his money and can't be rid of his entry. I could see why someone would at least want the medal - for the record he can't even walk well on his foot so no, he will not be coming with me Saturday. Not even a hope to be swept under the circumstances. :sad1:

Though it is sad he wont be able to run, the medal is still advertised as a finisher medal and should be such. Injuries happen, life gets in the way, that still doesn't mean you finished the race or are still entitled to the medal. And when registering, you agree to the terms that registration is non refundable and non transferrable. At least there is a deferral in place, though it may not be the best, it isn't something that they need to do.

Though it is sad he wont be able to run, the medal is still advertised as a finisher medal and should be such. Injuries happen, life gets in the way, that still doesn't mean you finished the race or are still entitled to the medal. And when registering, you agree to the terms that registration is non refundable and non transferrable. At least there is a deferral in place, though it may not be the best, it isn't something that they need to do.

I'm in the camp of all the hard work and training leading up to the race is just as important as the race itself - may you never have this happen to you. To each their own! :wave2:

I'm in the camp of all the hard work and training leading up to the race is just as important as the race itself - may you never have this happen to you. To each their own! :wave2:

And if it did happen to me, I would not expect to be handed a medal. I did not grow up getting trophies or medals handed out. In our little league, only the team that won the championship got trophies, the other teams got nothing because it was a reward, not an expectation.

And if it did happen to me, I would not expect to be handed a medal. I did not grow up getting trophies or medals handed out. In our little league, only the team that won the championship got trophies, the other teams got nothing because it was a reward, not an expectation.

So sit down on the bus, don't take the darn medal, but don't tell the guy next to you what he should do.

Well honestly none of us are winning the thing, so why are we getting medals at all? If you start going down that road then only two people (no, 4, because we will include first female and male wheelchair and on-foot winners) will get medals.

Alllllll the rest of us are getting participant medals. That's all. Your little league comparison doesn't fit the situation.

Companies want recognition. So more races include participant medals. Kid competitions involve participant trophies. It's probably cheaper to order a gabillion instead of four. Etc.

Like the other person said, if it happens to you, do what feels right to you.

Gotta say that it's easy to have umpteen different opinions on this! I felt fine personally with them then two days before the DL half I thought I did Very Bad Things to my knee. Could barely walk! And I was crying, for many reasons, not the least of which was not wanting a medal just for starting then sitting down immediately. And at the same time wanting the medal because I wanted the medal!

My brother mentioned the concept of phantom injuries just before a race. Hmm. That thought and quite a lot of icing, along with salve from my acupuncturist as well as arnica, saved me. And I received the medal at the finish. Whew. More complicated feelings were averted.

I can see the point of it lessening your accomplishment when the medals are given to everyone. Here is why: Several people in my company participated in a RnR half last year. One was swept (and driven close to the finish, so she could cross the finish line). To this day she says she did a half marathon. She has a medal to prove it, so it must be true. Everyone who did finish now has to wonder if people think they "finished" in the same manner as the person who was swept. I shouldn't have to explain that I really did finish any race if I have a finishers medal. The medal should speak for itself.

I can see the point of it lessening your accomplishment when the medals are given to everyone. Here is why: Several people in my company participated in a RnR half last year. One was swept (and driven close to the finish, so she could cross the finish line). To this day she says she did a half marathon. She has a medal to prove it, so it must be true. Everyone who did finish now has to wonder if people think they "finished" in the same manner as the person who was swept. I shouldn't have to explain that I really did finish any race if I have a finishers medal. The medal should speak for itself.

I disagree. Nothing anyone else says or does can lessen my accomplishment.

As that great philosopher Taylor Swift sings: "fakers gonna fake ...I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake it off ...."

--Suzanne

Alllllll the rest of us are getting participant medals. That's all. Your little league comparison doesn't fit the situation.

Actually, as it is stated in their own documentation, and advertised, we are getting finisher medals. That is not a participant medal. If you want to call it that, hand the medal out at package pickup. That way those that are in it for the medal can get it without overcrowded the race course and not even starting the race. :sad2:

I may not win the race, but I finished the race. In finishing the race, it is advertised you will receive a medal for finishing. It does not say you shall receive a medal for doing half the race. It may not be the same award the winners get, but it's still an award. And if everyone is getting a finisher medal, even those who don't finish, why doesn't everyone get the winner award too?

And to expect anything from them for something you did not fully accomplish is setting a horrible example for your children. It's the same as if one expects to get a job, expects to get paid x amount and get rewarded to do a portion of the work expected.

Can we close this thread? There are two very different, very clear opinions and at this point I don't think anyone's minds can be changed. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter