Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

Also, he was a generally healthy man:

"One of them was Mitchell Wiener, the assistant principal who died. His family told NYT he’d suffered from gout but that it was under control with medication."

But isn't gout a type of immune system disorder? If so, that could explain why he was unable to battle the H1N1 adequately, especially if he was on an immune system suppressant? I would bet this flu can be very dangerous for those taking Rheumatoid Arthritis meds, as well.

You know, I'm really trying to keep a rational perspective about this. So far, all the cases in the U.S. have been mild, with the exception of the vice principal in NY, God rest his soul. Swine flu appears to respond to antiviral flu meds. In the U.S., the regular seasonal flu kills thousands, and the swine flu has killed four (although, any death from this is a tragedy). And, as has been reported, those people had underlying health conditions. I've discussed the situation with our doctor, and he said to take the necessary precautions, but to continue to live our lives.

As a rule, I do not put alot of stock in what is reported by the national news media. Or even our local news, for that matter. If there is something I need or want to know the truth about, I go to other trusted sources to find the answer. I know, without question, the media is hyping the swine flu for all it's worth. For example, we were watching television one night and a trailer came on for the local news. The newscaster said a two year old boy in a neighboring county had the swine flu and to tune in later for the details. So, despite our better judgement, we tuned in when the news came on. Seems the true story was that it was a probable case (that turned out not to be) and the little boy was already recovered. Why even report it when the case is probable? Because irresponsible fear mongering = increased ratings. I'll bet a whole lot of people with children, like us, were scared out of their minds when that trailer ran and watched the news to find out the story, again, despite subconsiously knowing it was most likely a ratings grab.

Yet, despite all of this, I am sometimes gripped by this terrible fear, whether rational or not, that the swine flu is somehow more lethal than the regular flu (despite current evidence to the contrary). My rational self says this is due to the endless fear mongering by the media, yet, the emotional side of me can't help it sometimes. But then I think, we can't stop living our lives, right? We just have to take all the necessary precautions and hope for the best, I guess. Sorry for rambling. Good health and sanity to all.

For example, we were watching television one night and a trailer came on for the local news. The newscaster said a two year old boy in a neighboring county had the swine flu and to tune in later for the details. So, despite our better judgement, we tuned in when the news came on. Seems the true story was that it was a probable case (that turned out not to be) and the little boy was already recovered. Why even report it when the case is probable? Because irresponsible fear mongering = increased ratings.

Our local news in Philly is just as bad. Last night they were running promos all night claiming, "Swine Flu has killed a man just hours outside of Center City." Really? Okay, New York is 2 hours up I-95, but it's a different City in a different State, with no connection to Philadelphia!!! They make it sound like it's right next door. Drives me nuts.

Not that it will change what is going on here...but Japan is now reporting over a hundred cases (from 7). This could cause the pandemic level to be raised to 6, since Japan is in a different WHO region. The confirmed cases certainly jumped over the weekend in Japan.

It won't change much in the US. But it will certainly increase the media hype.

Not that it will change what is going on here...but Japan is now reporting over a hundred cases (from 7). This could cause the pandemic level to be raised to 6, since Japan is in a different WHO region. The confirmed cases certainly jumped over the weekend in Japan.

It won't change much in the US. But it will certainly increase the media hype.

Did you see that a coalition of countries are petitioning the WHO to change their alert levels to include a severity index? They are afraid that a lot of people will misconstrue that the level means something more sinister than it is, and cause a global panic that will ruin a lot of economies.

The WHO response is that they cannot guarantee a "severity" index because a mild flu, like we have here in the USA, can still kill a lot of people in an underdeveloped country.

The debate is rather interesting. Another example of the industrialized world trying to save their economies, while not realizing how a large portion of the world still lives.

ETA: I've decided since I've been saying from Day 1 that I'm not canceling and that everything will be okay, that I will, in fact, come home with the Swine Flu...it's just the luck that I have. Arrive at the World on Saturday...so I'm thinking good thoughts!

Interesting article about how many people really die from the "regular" flu each year:

A Pandemic of Confusion About Flu's Death Rates The CDC's Figure of 100 Influenza Deaths a Day Is Flawed, but That Doesn't Stop People From Spreading It

By CARL BIALIK
MAY 13, 2009
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124217724145913411.html

Though the swine flu captured the world's attention, its total confirmed death toll of fewer than 100 people so far provided a point of comparison that many health experts couldn't resist: Garden-variety seasonal flu kills that many people each day in the U.S. alone.

That's according to Ted Epperly, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, which is among many groups that cite an estimate from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention scientists that flu causes or contributes to an average of 36,000 deaths each year. "This is no little deal," Dr. Epperly says. "I don't want people to think, 'Oh my gosh, we just avoided this bullet with swine flu,' when every day influenza kills 100 people."

But a bullet, it turns out, may never have left the barrel. According to the CDC's own numbers, influenza was listed as the underlying cause on just 849 death certificates in 2006, the most recent year available -- half as many as hernias and a quarter the number killed by peptic ulcers. This number has been flat in recent decades even as the CDC's much larger estimates of annual flu deaths have been increasing.

This discrepancy in death counts highlights a fundamental, and possibly unavoidable, flaw in national health surveillance. The CDC tallies the toll of diseases and injuries using death certificates, but these often are filled out by harried physicians with incomplete information. "Sometimes they're not going to know," says Robert Anderson, the chief of mortality statistics for the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. "Sometimes they may need to guess. Sometimes they're not willing to guess."

The resulting death counts are often unreliable. Even if they were accurate, though, some public-health officials prefer measures that take into account age at death and survivors' quality of life. Such alternate measures might de-emphasize influenza. According to the CDC's estimates, 91% of all flu victims in the decade through 2003 -- the latest available data -- were 65 or older.

"It's a quick way to get policy makers and the lay public to understand the potential impact," David Shay, a CDC flu researcher, says of the 36,000-death figure he helped estimate, "but it shouldn't be the only measure."

These measurement problems are particularly acute with influenza, because it can exacerbate underlying conditions such as heart disease or precipitate pneumonia or other respiratory illness. The doctors, coroners or medical examiners who fill out death certificates are supposed to list an underlying cause of death, but Dr. Anderson says many who die from the flu never see a doctor. If they do, flu tests are rare because the doctor is focusing on the complication caused by flu.

Dr. Shay and colleagues attempted to compensate for this perceived underreporting of flu deaths by looking for clues in seasonal mortality patterns. If flu's human toll is uniquely resistant to measurement, it is also uniquely measurable by statistical sleuthing, according to Dr. Shay. That's because flu's activity varies each year, in time of onset, duration and severity.

More interactive graphics and photos In a paper earlier this year, he and his co-authors unveiled four different statistical models for measuring flu deaths. Some of these models made use of lab tests from around the country, correlating the fluctuation in positive flu-test results with the waxing and waning in respiratory and circulatory deaths. All four models came up with similar estimates: Tens of thousands of people dying each year from the flu. One of the models produced a 10-year average through the 2002-2003 flu season of 36,171, the basis for the 36,000 figure now ubiquitous in public-health campaigns and media coverage.

This estimate has its skeptics. It's based on lab testing of people who primarily are ill, and not a representative sample of the population, Jimmy Efird, a statistician with the University of North Carolina's Center for the Health of Vulnerable Populations, points out. And it makes use of the same death-certificate data whose flaws necessitated the research, potentially replicating the errors.

Peter Doshi, a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has gone further in his critique. In a 2005 article in the British journal BMJ provocatively titled "Are US flu death figures more PR than science?" Mr. Doshi criticized the CDC for sometimes confusing deaths caused by the flu with those where the infection was one contributing factor. In an article last year, Mr. Doshi compiled recorded deaths from the flu for the past century and found that the numbers in years of notable outbreaks within the past 60 years weren't that different from years just before and after them.

Dr. Shay defends his measurements but acknowledges they aren't exact, noting, for instance, that his models don't take into account temperature and air pollution, which themselves can affect the incidence of respiratory illness.

If people make decisions based on faulty information, says Mr. Doshi, "then this is important and needs fixing."

Improving the understanding of global disease burden has been a priority in public health for several decades, and part of that effort is finding a better tool than body counts to measure diseases. To decide on priorities and measure progress, groups such as the World Health Organization have begun to contemplate a measure called disability adjusted life years. DALYs take into account both the number of years lost -- so deaths of children count more than those of the elderly -- and the quality of life lost when sickness or injury doesn't kill but leaves lasting effects.

Calculating the relative burden of, say, blindness (about a 60% diminution of quality of life) may seem cold calculus, but in allocating limited public-health resources, that's how decisions sometimes are made.

More troubling is just how hard it is to come up with DALYs, which add nuance to death tolls but also devilish complexity. Dozens of countries lack reliable death-registration systems, and assigning weights to disabilities is subjective.

The fundamental premise behind DALYs is also problematic. Someone who dies in middle age, for example, may have fewer years of life remaining than a newborn, but he or she likely has more financial responsibilities, including keeping family members healthy.

Should DALYs be embraced at the CDC, they might lead to a de-emphasis on the flu. Many people who die of flu-related causes are old and sick and may not have lived much longer. Colin D. Mathers, coordinator of the WHO's mortality and burden of disease unit, compares flu's yearly toll to the tens of thousands of deaths attributed to the 2003 heat wave in Europe. Many were quite ill already. "If the heat wave hadn't occurred, they probably would have been dead in six months, anyway," he said.

Dr. Shay says he'd like to find more sophisticated ways of expressing the burden of flu even though he recognizes this might mean the waning of the flu's relative prominence. "We need to express the impact in a variety of different ways," Dr. Shay says, "so people can make the best decisions."

What I dont get is since its warmed up most places why is is this thing still in full swing? Flu season is over by now isnt it?

I don't know much about Gout, but this is what I found with some quick research. It doesn't look like the meds would affect ones immune system:

Unlike other arthritic diseases, gout is a result of body metabolism rather than the immune system.

Gout Medications

Medication treatment of gout includes:

Acetaminophen ( brand name - Tylenol) or other analgesic painkillers - for pain.
NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), more specifically indomethacin (brand name - Indocin) - for inflammation.
Colchicine - prevents or relieves gout attacks by reducing inflammation.
Corticosteroids - for anti-inflammatory response.
Probenecid (brand names - Benemid, Probalan) - to decrease uric acid blood levels by increasing the excretion of uric acid into the urine.
ColBenemid (other brand names are Col-Probenecid and Proben-C) - contains Probenecid, a uricosuric agent, and Colchicine, has anti-gout properties.
Allopurinol (brand name - Zyloprim) - to lower blood uric acid by preventing uric acid production. Allopurinol blocks the conversion of purine in foods to uric acid.
Losartan (brand names - Cozaar and Hyzaar) - not specifically a gout medication but is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist, antihypertensive drug that may help control uric acid levels.
Fenofibrate (brand name - Tricor) - not a specific gout medication but it a lipid-lowering drug that may help uric acid levels.

Gout has the distinction of being one of the most frequently recorded medical illnesses throughout history. Research is currently working toward the development of more effective gout medications.

Just back from Disney May 16th. We took antibacterial hand sanitizer and used it constently. Saw quite a few people doing that. Also saw quite a few sick kids. We didn't come home with the swine flu which is good but we did come home with Strep Throat. We still had a wonderful time though!!

The report I have read states that a representative from the hospital said the man had underlying issues. I believe that the son said his father was in good health soon after he was hospitalized. It could be that he had an unknown health problem that had been previously undetected and was brought to light after he fell ill. The family may have believed he had no health problems other than gout at the time they made that statement, but that doesn't mean they didn't discover some at a later point.
My otherwise healthy uncle had a fatal heart attack a few years ago after he became ill with influenza, it was discovered after his death that he had a heart defect that was aggravated by the virus. If you had asked anyone in my family at the time they most certainly would have said that he had no health issues.

Gawsh... What did we do, maybe 10 or so years ago, before there was a flu shot and there was no hand sanitizer?

Everyone stay home? Was the flu constantly in the news? :sick:

Did I hear it correctly that he waited to get care though?.

According to initial reports, yes.. He hadn't been feeling well for a few days before he sought out medical care..

But isn't gout a type of immune system disorder?.

Can't answer that, but my stepdaughter's DH has severe gout - has been hospitalized numerous times and had to be treated with a morphine drip.. He was told by his doctor to take extra precautions..

I have serious underlying health conditions myself.. I'm not avoiding people or going crazy with sterilizing everything I come in contact with - but - if I develop any symptoms of any type of "flu" (or anything else that doesn't feel quite right), I will see my doctor immediately.. I won't take the chance of waiting around to see if things get better on their own.. Other than that, it's business as usual - washing my hands well, not touching my face, etc..

He was sick for two days, then went to the hospital. Four days later he died.

"A beloved Queens assistant principal became the city's first swine flu death Sunday night - and health officials warned to expect new severe cases.

Mitchell Wiener, 55, died at 6:17 p.m. at Flushing Hospital Medical Center, six days after he got sick and four days after he was hospitalized with a temperature of 103."

2 confirmed cases from our middle school (two blocks from my house). Am I worried? Hell no i'm going to Disney World!

Let's please not start a panic thread again.

Stay healthy, and have a great trip those who'll be there soon.

Have fun,

Mx

Let's please not start a panic thread again.

Stay healthy, and have a great trip those who'll be there soon.

Have fun,

Mx

First of all...no one has "started" a new thread...this thread has been going days before the "panic" even started.

However, I think instead of a "panic thread," I am going to start a "PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST thread!"

I am so sick of this type of response to this thread. :headache: :faint:

Everyone I know, at this point, is still going to Disney.

No one is freaking out. No one is panicing. We are discussing.

And if you don't want to read about or discuss the flu, then read one of the other million threads on this board!!!!! And leave those of us alone that would like to discuss this interesting topic. :mad:

Besides...every time someone posts with this type of response...it just bumps the thread right back up to the top...if you don't want to read about or discuss it, then stop responding. :confused3

Sorry...but I am a little tired of this response to this thread. We have asked over and over - please respect us. I even posted a nice reminder on post #1 as well...and it is continually ignored. :headache:

In regards to the post above. I agree. I am a insane worrier with stuff like this. With good reason I have a compromised immune system . What I have is similar to lupus and I am sick as we speak. But I am somehow reacting strangely calmly to this. I am not freaking out at all. IN fact have a trip planned ( many) .

Some people feel like they have a better control on things when they stay informed. Some people freak when they read stuff . And then there are those that choose to not think of it at all. Whatever works for you is fine. But some of us feel more aware by reading and discussing.

What I would like to learn about unfortunatly the CDC either doesnt know or hasnt released. :confused3 Information is so limited that its pretty useless at this point.

I did want to come on and post though that in regard to the VP that passed away in NYC . While gout itself is " generally" not a aggressive type immune affecting disease I think there might be a few things that could have affected his health.

Usually gout would be treated with non steroidel type drugs like motrin and so forth. But in some cases of a severe flare steroids are used and this ( particularly oral prednisone) can lower your immune response. So he could have been on a med that affected his ability to fight it. Although didnt they use some steriods to treat some people as well?

And last of all I thought that it reminded me of my (step)grandfather who is diabetic . Maybe he had a undignosed case. I did find it odd that on my yahoo news they said something about those with comprimised immune systems and conditions like diabetis (spelling?) . Diabetis is not a immune disorder in any way to my knowledge. But I found it odd they said that.

And then they started out saying older kids and young adults that were MOST healthy were at risk . Now its only immune compromised people. Well what is it? lol

Please excuse my typos I am typing with one hand and while talking on the phone! :laughing: BTW is there spell check on this thing? hmmm diabetes? diabetis? diabeties ? lol

And last of all I thought that it reminded me of my (step)grandfather who is diabetic . Maybe he had a undignosed case. I did find it odd that on my yahoo news they said something about those with comprimised immune systems and conditions like diabetis (spelling?) . Diabetis is not a immune disorder in any way to my knowledge. But I found it odd they said that.

And then they started out saying older kids and young adults that were MOST healthy were at risk . Now its only immune compromised people. Well what is it? lol

Please excuse my typos I am typing with one hand and while talking on the phone! :laughing: BTW is there spell check on this thing? hmmm diabetes? diabetis? diabeties ? lol

LOL at the spelling :goodvibes

Diabetes Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, I don't think type 2 is though, but type 1 definitely is (I'm a type 1 of 30+ years), that's why we need flu shots (been having them for 20+ years), also with type 1 you are prone to other immune problems such as thyroid disease (and that's just to start with). My immune system is virtually non existant, every little cold develops into something more serious and I've lost count of my visits to hospital - I'm on first name terms with my local hospital ER :rolleyes:

LOL at the spelling :goodvibes

Diabetes Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, I don't think type 2 is though, but type 1 definitely is (I'm a type 1 of 30+ years), that's why we need flu shots (been having them for 20+ years), also with type 1 you are prone to other immune problems such as thyroid disease (and that's just to start with). My immune system is virtually non existant, every little cold develops into something more serious and I've lost count of my visits to hospital - I'm on first name terms with my local hospital ER :rolleyes:

It's interesting how people react differently. I'm a Type I, also, albeit you're a pro compared to me, as I'm only in my 12th year of battling. I've yet to have a flu shot, and rarely do I get very sick. Diabetics as a rule, though, are more prone to infections. From what I'm reading with this Flu, and most strains of influenza, it is the secondary infections that cause the most problems, so you can see the concern for diabetics.

That being said. I'm packed and ready to go for Saturday! I'll do the same things I do year round to avoid illness, and, hopefully, the Disney magic will keep me healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter