Tables in Wonderland discussion- Dis dining show

woodleygrrl

Lawyer to the Stars
Hey DIS Disney Dining Show Crew: Thanks for taking up the topic of Tables in Wonderland Card and when in makes sense to purchase it for your family. I have been thinking of purchasing it for myself and I think I will on my next upcoming trip. Your discussion made me look up what Disney says about the card, because I think you may have been a little unclear about who can purchase the card . According to the website, FL Residents, AP holders and DVC owners can purchase the card. See here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/

Also, according to the website the card is good for up to ten additional guests with each card as long as they are on the same check. I don't think that was made explicitly clear on the show.

One more thing about the AP discussion you had on the same show that I think is important to point out is that there is a significant discount to DVC owners for annual passes. Its called the Gold Pass and has a few block-out dates so its worth looking to make sure your plans for vacation don't fall into those dates. My husband and I just purchased ours and the math worked out that once we hit 12 days on a park-hopper we reached the price of the Gold Pass. But I think that varies by season as well.

Thanks again for covering this topic. I have heard you all talk about the TIW card before but never in this much detail.

The math they used on the show was a little wonky. But here’s a simple rule of thumb:

You need to spend $1,000 to break even on a couple’s membership.

$200 membership = 20% of $1,000

If you spend more than $1,000 then it’s a no-brainer. Anything less is giving away extra money to Disney.

The math they used on the show was a little wonky. But here’s a simple rule of thumb:

You need to spend $1,000 to break even on a couple’s membership.

$200 membership = 20% of $1,000

If you spend more than $1,000 then it’s a no-brainer. Anything less is giving away extra money to Disney.

Just remember if you already have an AP you already get 10% off at most of the same place a so really only getting and extra 10% off (plus 20% on alcohol)

Just remember if you already have an AP you already get 10% off at most of the same place a so really only getting and extra 10% off (plus 20% on alcohol)

Great point! And it further proves you have to spend A LOT of money on food and drink to make it pay off. It’s sort of a sucker deal unless 1) you’re wealthy and can afford a couple grand in meals at Disney or 2) you’re not wealthy but you just spend every last penny at Disney World restaurants.

Great point! And it further proves you have to spend A LOT of money on food and drink to make it pay off. It’s sort of a sucker deal unless 1) you’re wealthy and can afford a couple grand in meals at Disney or 2) you’re not wealthy but you just spend every last penny at Disney World restaurants.

Well, also depends how many in your group as you can use it for groups up to 10.

We had a large group one trip and made it work. Also if you are a local or have several trips in one year it can make sense

But a good thing to consider is that the AP or DVC discount only allows for a discount on the member and 3 guests so if you travel with a larger party then the TiW is a better route. If you are a smaller party the savings can still add up if you have a long trip or multiple trips throughout the year.

So for my situation we are usually a family of 5, but had a trip in April with my in laws so we are now a party of 7 - it was a no brainier with having 1-2 TS meals a day and another trip coming up in November. It was amazing to see the bill and each meal TiW was taking off $70-80 because most of our bills were in the $350-400 range. So in just 2 meals it paid for itself. That is also not with any alcohol. I think there was only 1 beer bought our whole trip so if you are someone who drinks or just enjoys a glass of wine, for what they charge for alcohol it is worth it.

But a good thing to consider is that the AP or DVC discount only allows for a discount on the member and 3 guests so if you travel with a larger party then the TiW is a better route. If you are a smaller party the savings can still add up if you have a long trip or multiple trips throughout the year.

So for my situation we are usually a family of 5, but had a trip in April with my in laws so we are now a party of 7 - it was a no brainier with having 1-2 TS meals a day and another trip coming up in November. It was amazing to see the bill and each meal TiW was taking off $70-80 because most of our bills were in the $350-400 range. So in just 2 meals it paid for itself. That is also not with any alcohol. I think there was only 1 beer bought our whole trip so if you are someone who drinks or just enjoys a glass of wine, for what they charge for alcohol it is worth it.

Size of party is a huge factor (and, while not impacting you for those that do have a few adult beverages that plays a role too)

I jus think it is like a lot of things with disney in that there isn’t one set rule of it “always makes sense” or “it never makes sense” - very dependent on you specific party and how you will vacation

There are a few AP "dining" discounts that are >10%. I think lunch at the House of Blues is well worth the 20% off.

DW and I have always bought just one pass because we are always together. The break even is $750 at this point, which we always get to easily. V&As used to be a member restaurant which was usually worth it by itself, but they have dropped off.

Size of party is a huge factor (and, while not impacting you for those that do have a few adult beverages that plays a role too)

I jus think it is like a lot of things with disney in that there isn’t one set rule of it “always makes sense” or “it never makes sense” - very dependent on you specific party and how you will vacation

Agreed. Some years it makes sense for us, others not so much. There are usually only two of us, and we are also AP/DVC, but we enjoy cocktails, lounges, and the occasional bottle of wine with our meals. We also frequently meet up with friends we have met at WDW over the years, so it is nice to save some money while treating a group of seven to food and drinks. We will be able to get five trips out of our most recent TIW card which makes it worth it for us, once it expires we will need to look at our plans to see if it make sense to purchase again.

We had am AP and TIW in 2010, we went summer and Christmas that year. At that time, TIW was $75 I believe and it was definitely worth it. I can't see where it's worth $200 unless you're a local and go out to dinner at the more expensive spots. I'm sure Pete has some pretty big bills when they do restaurant reviews, so it's beyond worth it for him. I can't see the value for a visitor, but definitely for a local, especially if you don't need to be an AP holder if you're a FL resident.

I can't see the value for a visitor,
It really is a matter of doing your home work as a visitor. Knowing where you want to eat and figuring out the potential savings for your party size. It doesn't necessarily make sense for the family of 4 (2 adults/2kids) who are visiting once for a week, but if that same family will be returning within the next 13 months then another week of TS meals could potentially provide savings.

Cast members get anywhere from 20-35% on food and merchandise. Plus a few vouchers each year for up to 50% off a meal.

If you spend 2 full weeks or more in Disney each year and regularly eat table service meals with alcohol, it's probably worth the investment. It would take a while to do math for every scenario, but just figure out yours with how many people you have, where you intend to eat, and how often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter