Tables in Wonderland or DDP?

BLTSam

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide between getting the dining plan (1 quick service, 1 sit down and 1 snack per day) or the tables in wonderland. Has anyone ever figured out what the better way to go is. We are annual passholders, and will be going to this time for 4 nights. Total for the dining plan is aout $330.

I know that, on our last trip, we LOVED the DDP. My boyfriend and I had breakfast or dinner every day at a sit-down restaurant and then a quick service breakfast or lunch (we had quick service dinner one night, at Pecos Bill's). The snack was always popcorn or a Mickey Premium Bar! I'm not sure about the Tables in Wonderland thing. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. I'd love to hear more!

I did an in-depth analysis for our upcoming trip. We made our ADRs then I looked at the menues on allears.net and picked what we would order. It was cheaper to use TIW for us. However I didn't add the cost of the card into my analysis because we are definately getting it for an upcoming trip where we are staying off property. So it was not an additional expense for this trip. If you have to add in the price of the card, I think it will come out pretty close, but DDP will win out in your scenario.

Here is a link to my pre-trip report with how it worked out for us. I calculated the cost of what we would order normally (I drink water, we share one dessert) and what we would order with DDP (comes with drink, dessert for each person.)

I did an in-depth analysis for our upcoming trip. We made our ADRs then I looked at the menues on allears.net and picked what we would order. It was cheaper to use TIW for us. However I didn't add the cost of the card into my analysis because we are definately getting it for an upcoming trip where we are staying off property. So it was not an additional expense for this trip. If you have to add in the price of the card, I think it will come out pretty close, but DDP will win out in your scenario.

Here is a link to my pre-trip report with how it worked out for us. I calculated the cost of what we would order normally (I drink water, we share one dessert) and what we would order with DDP (comes with drink, dessert for each person.)

Thanks! Any other opinions?

Well, the TIW card will cost you $75.00. To break even, you need to spend at least $375 in food (which is more than the value of the DDP).

If you enjoy appetizers and adult drinks with your meals that are not part of the plan and intend to be back at WDW for another stay when you can continue to use the card, than TIW is probably a better deal.

However, if you will only be using it for this one trip, I am not sure it is worth it if you would not be ordering things on top of the DDP.

We are not big TS meal people so I am not sure it would ever make sense for us.

Good luck!

We use TIW. I want to eat what I want, not what Disney thinks I should. I enjoy appetizers, but rarely eat dessert. If I want two appetizers instead of an entree, that's what I order. If I only want an entree, that's what I order. If I want a glass of wine with dinner, that's what I order. Anything I order, is discounted with TIW, including that glass of wine. With DDP, you must order an entree and a dessert. If you order an appetizer, you pay extra. If you order a glass of wine, you pay extra.

I called today to make dining reservations and was told a number of times that a certain reservation was either good or no good for Tables In Wonderland. I don't understand that - I thought if a place took it, it took it, not just at certain times of the day.

As an example, the Whispering Canyon reservation options I had were something like 6:20pm for no TIW, and 8:30 for TIW. Also, she made it sound like the reservations I had made online previously would not allow me to use the TIW card.

Does anyone know about this?

Depends entirely on where you will eat and what you prefer to order. I have given up on the dining plan, but it's usually me paying for my own meals, not paying for a group or family. I order alcoholic beverages more often than not and I do not always prefer to order entree and dessert - I like to mix things up a bit and maybe order two appetizers.

Most TS restaurants accept Tables in Wonderland. A number of DTD and Swan/Dolphin restaurants were just added to TIW this year and I am enthusiatic about going to them. You can't get those restaurants on the dining plan.

No one should be told that TIW is good or not good for certain times of day. A restaurant either accepts it or doesn't accept it and if it is not a blackout day, if they are a participating restaurant they accept it. (The only exception I have seen is that Marrakesh won't accept ANY discounts for its lunch special). What the previous poster was told (that WCC accepts TIW only at certain times of day) is totally ridiculous and they must have gotten a phone agent who doesn't know what they're doing. I don't trust WDW-DINE to do anything but actually book reservations, personally.

I called today to make dining reservations and was told a number of times that a certain reservation was either good or no good for Tables In Wonderland. I don't understand that - I thought if a place took it, it took it, not just at certain times of the day.

As an example, the Whispering Canyon reservation options I had were something like 6:20pm for no TIW, and 8:30 for TIW. Also, she made it sound like the reservations I had made online previously would not allow me to use the TIW card.

Does anyone know about this?

I've been using TIW for years and have never heard of such nonsense. Sounds like you have a new CM who's probably been listening to some bus driver. ;) Either that, or they've changed the program recently. Call back and talk to someone else.

I have a TiW card and honestly it didn't save me anything. We got it last year and we went to Disney 3 times and I don't know that I even saved the $75 that it cost. We ate at Yak and Yeti, last May, they don't take it, but they did discount for my AP. We were there over the 4th of July, and of course you can't use it on a holiday. Then we were back in September, and from what I was told, you could use it for appetizers and adult beverages, even if on the free dining. I was allowed to do that at Kona, but not GFC.

When running the numbers for my upcoming trip I came out about the same using the TiW card (not including the $75 to renew it), and going on the DDP. We are going with the DDP and save the $75, we can use that for the tips.

Funny -- it was the GFC that was my final straw for not renewing TiW (then it was DDE). We were at breakfast and the server and manager refused a discount on any beverage, except alcoholic. :confused3
Just got tired of arguing with servers when trying to get a lousy discount on ice teas and sodas. With DDE I was always pulling the letter from my pouch and showing it to the servers to get correct discounts.
Could be they are more familiar now. But it was a hassle.
That being said, like other pp I sometimes like two appetizers and no entree.
There is some freedom with TiW. But we have done the quick service and regular dine plan a few times each. And we both really like them and have always walked away satisfied. I can't say that with DDE (now TiW).
I think which to use just depends on what the guest wants to book (room only or travel co package) and their dining habits.
Another thing I did not like about DDE was them changing rules mid stream with no warning. They did it once to us (when they removed discounts on holidays). So I would not trust them not to make more restrictions mid stream without notifying the members. Pretty bad for an over priced (IMO) paid membership. I could understand if it was free, or good until you stopped using it. (Like RFC and their Safari Club membership.)

We have used both. For a short trip, if you do not plan to be back within the year, as OP said, DDP is better. You simply can't get the 20% benefit of TIW if you only use it a few times. SInce we prefer TS to QS, TIW usually works out better for us since the DDP only gives you so many TS credits and there are restrictions on how they may be used. With TIW, you have flexibility. But again, it really only starts to offer benefits after you use it for a while.

I plan on staying for 7 days, and doing alot of table service and signature dinning. I figured up what we would get if we were on the DxDP and the regular, what the savings was with the TIW along with the regular plan and I found it would be cheaper to do the DxDP with no TIW. Savings depends on what restaurants you go to and what you would eat. We're doing 6, 2 credit meals and 2 meals that aren't on the plan. You just kind of have to figure your numbers up for your family, if you plan on alot of counter service then the DxDP wouldn't save alot. I figured we would save about $300 by doing the DxDP.

I have two related questions: Would you ever get the DDP if you already had a TiW card, and Can you use your TiW card for adult beverage discounts if you are using DDP credits towards your meal? :confused3

Thanks for your feedback!

I have two related questions: Would you ever get the DDP if you already had a TiW card, and Can you use your TiW card for adult beverage discounts if you are using DDP credits towards your meal? :confused3

Thanks for your feedback!

Short and simple answer: YES!!

Longer explanation :goodvibes We usually get Free Dining as we have to go with our official school holiday and get the TiW for any extras like adult beverages, appetizers, extra sides.
We have never had a problem using it, but then we did research on which restaurant would take it and which would not.
BTW - The GFC DOES accept it! Plus Guest services have a sheet of paper with ALL the restaurants and you could bring it with you if you thought you need it to show it to a server.

Is TIW only for TS Dining? I saw a list of restaurants that accept TIW and it seems like some QS locations do accept it - like at the value resorts. Is it only specific QS locations or none at all? It seems confusing...

like PP's, sometimes we have 2 or 3 appetizers instead of an entree. We are just two adults, I don't eat a whole meal, ever. We generally get one appetizer, one entree and one dessert to share. The only time we did the DDP is when they had no AP room discounts left when I called and did have free dining available for us. It was ok using the DDP. It just would not EVER save us a penny if we purchased it.

This our next trip we will do the Premium for 2 days then pay OOP for the rest of the trip. We will buy a new TIW card as well as new APs. We'll go for two more weeks before the 365 days are over so I think we get value for the TIW. I might be fooling myself but it's what I think. We also like to sit down and give our dogs a rest while eating so we do less CS than some might.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter