Take connecting resort dining break from MK?

samsonjs

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Coronado but have a couple days planned for MK. If we wanted to take a break from the crowds and heat at MK but not go back to our resort is it possible to go dine at a MK connecting resort? Is that a bad idea because it would be too time consuming? Are tables at at non character restaurants too hard to get last minute? We would have a stroller with our two kids.

If that would work which restaurants do you recommend?

I think it is a good idea but it is time consuming.

Take a look at menus for the Wave at the Contemporary and the GF Café for 2 good options. Or maybe Gasparilla at the GF for a QS option. Kona Café at the poly tends to be busier in my experience but probably also worth a look.

Yes you can do that. if you go to one of the monorail resorts, it doesn't take forever. I don't know about getting an ADR or a table at the last minute, you'll have to look in the app to see what's available that day. Keep in mind that if you can't get a table at a ts restaurant, the resorts also have quick service locations that you could eat at (we liked the one at the Contemporary that is close to Chef Mickey's). And you can just go and hang out in the lobby or outside areas at those resorts (but not the pool, obviously) even if you aren't staying there. DH went and sat in the lobby at the contemporary one day for a couple hours to people watch, have a coffee and DH cat napped a little bit, too.

Take the boat to WL and try the Geyser Point Bar & Grill. Or Roaring Fork I know these are considered Counter Service but could be a good choice.

Kae

If we wanted to take a break from the crowds and heat at MK but not go back to our resort is it possible to go dine at a MK connecting resort?
Yes.

Is that a bad idea because it would be too time consuming?
It can be time consuming. Figure 20 mins travel from mk to a resort, another 20 mins back (plus hastle of bag check).

Are tables at at non character restaurants too hard to get last minute?
Depends on party size, time of year, and weather. 4 or less people makes it easier. During free dining promotional times it can be artificially busy. If it’s raining too will have to compete with others having similar ideas for different reasons. Check out the ap and see what’s available day of for a few days to get a better sense. I find if you look 1 day out you can usually find some good gems as people cancel before the cutoff all the time.

We would have a stroller with our two kids.
More hastle but my biggest caution would be your kids may fall asleep while traveling and then be crabby being awakened for table service meals.

If that would work which restaurants do you recommend?
Kona cafe in poly is always yummy and low key. Cool shops and unique atmosphere.

We enjoy taking the boat over to the fort. They serve brunch on Sat and Sundays til 2 at Trails end. Good food and there is a park/ grass for the kids to run and play with rocking chairs on the porch for adults after eating. It is a refreshing break after having to keep a close eye/strapped in a stroller at the MK.

Take the boat to WL and try the Geyser Point Bar & Grill. Or Roaring Fork I know these are considered Counter Service but could be a good choice. Kae

With 2 kids in a stroller, I wouldn't recommend the boat trip to anywhere.

I'd recommend taking the walking path from the MK to the Contemporary (it's a 10 minute walk, ask a CM to point you to the path). At the Contemporary, you have the Wave (TS), Chef Mickeys (AYCTE), and Contempo Cafe (CS).

Alternatively, you could take the monorail to the Poly (Kona Cafe TS, 'Ohana TS, and Captain Cook's CS) or to the Grand Floridian (Grand Floridian Cafe TS, 1900 Park Faire AYCTE, and Gasparilla Grill CS).

Yes it's possible, and if it's a lunch I'd walk over to the Contemporary and go to the wave.

It's possible to boat to the GF and Polynesian but not with kids in a stroller. Unless you take the big ferryboat to TTC and walk over to Poly, you can just roll the stroller onto the ferryboat.

With 2 kids in a stroller, I wouldn't recommend the boat trip to anywhere.

I'd recommend taking the walking path from the MK to the Contemporary (it's a 10 minute walk, ask a CM to point you to the path). At the Contemporary, you have the Wave (TS), Chef Mickeys (AYCTE), and Contempo Cafe (CS).

Alternatively, you could take the monorail to the Poly (Kona Cafe TS, 'Ohana TS, and Captain Cook's CS) or to the Grand Floridian (Grand Floridian Cafe TS, 1900 Park Faire AYCTE, and Gasparilla Grill CS).

I second this comment, great suggestion!! If you have a double stroller and not a single easy to maneuver umbrella, this is the way we'd go. Just from experience, a single wide stroller on the monorail is much more manageable than the double. It's not impossible if you have a double to get on there, just a pain if it's full since it takes up so much space.

It's a quick walk from MK to the contemporary and all three are good lunch options (Chef Mickeys is a character meal) and likely hardest ADR to get but if all else fails Contempo would be good for a QS option. Also if you walk back to MK from CR, you will have security too but it's usually pretty slow since it's just CR walkers.

Get the restaurant finder app at touringplans.com first and then for food Whipering Canyon Café for lunch or dinner, Kona Café for lunch or dinner and if you can scaore an ADR at Ohana's jump on it.

We’ve done it a few times. We go to MK the full day, so it is nice to sit down in a restaurant for an hour and refresh.

Just got back and we did just that. MK was really crowded the day we were there so it was a nice break to get away. We took the monorail to the Grand Floridian and had dinner in the cafe.

It would take up a few hours of time, but it is also fun to do the monorail resort tour. Make stops at each - plan an early dinner at Ohana or Kona and then make your way back to MK for the evening. If hitting all the resorts, looking at shops and getting dinner i would assume not less than 5 hours - if you want to just go to one resort and get dinner then maybe 3 hours.

I have taken a break from the heat to relax in the lobby of the GF. At around 4pm they have Cinderella and Prince Charming lead little kiddos down the staircase and they dance with them. Then see if you can get a last minute ADR at 1900 PF or the GFC

From my view a monorail restaurant is a great idea. Calmer, cooler, and better food to collect your thoughts.
Great chance at least one of the children will be able to nap in the restorative surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter