Taking a stroller as extra carry-on?

Lora

DIS Veteran
We're flying w/ Delta next weekend and I've been checking out their policy on strollers/carry-ons. We are trying to NOT have check-in luggage. From what I can see, their policy states that

"A fare-paying passenger may carry one item on the plane. The following infant items may be brought in addition to this one bag carry-on allowance:
Car Seats or other FAA Approved Child Restraint Devices
Booster Seats or other infant seats
Strollers
Bassinets
Diaper Bags"

Here's my question: Has anyone used this policy for taking a stroller for a 4 or 5 year old? Do you think they really mean "infant" - or that these items are okay even if the child is older and can walk?

Our 4 yo doesn't use a stroller anywhere else these days except amusement parks. I just don't want to get up to the desk and have a problem.

Thanks!

I've tried this on 2 occasions, for both we had even purchased a seat for our child, and that was supposed to be the carry on. On both Delta, and American. Was my DW ever PO'd when they sent our couple hundred $$ stroller careening down a chute crashing down onto the tarmac - both times. My guess is with all of the tightened security and reduced carry-on 1per person your stroller will become intimately familiar with "the chute". BUT this is not considered "checked" luggage, you should be able to retrieve it at the gate upon arrival, not via the luggage merry-go-round.

They have always gate checked strollers. Where would you put it if you were allowed to carry it on? It exceeds any carry on size and you definitely cannot fit it under the seat.

OP here....For me, gate checking is fine...I think that's what they mean when they list it under "extra carry-on". My stroller is well used and not an expensive one. I'm certainly not expecting it to be under my seat! ;) I just didn't want to have to go through the regular baggage check line just for it and don't want to cause extra stress at the gate.

We always gate check a stroller....my youngest DD is 5 and we still would do it...

We gate checked ours last year and will be doing the same next month. My DD is 4 and it really helps to have her in it while in lines at the airport.

Also enjoy having the extra storage to keep our carry on stuff in the basket.

Just make sure that when you get to your gate you go up to the counter and get a claim ticket for it. We didn't realize we needed on until we had already gotten in line to board and had to turn back and wait for someone else to get taken care of at the counter first.

Nice to have it waiting for you outside the door of the plane when you land so you can put your stuff back in it!

Lora,
Not sure how long you are going, but, you are going to perform a miracle if you can get all your stuff into bags that will be allowed on board. They are pretty stringent about carry on sizes.
MCO has the baggage at the baggage pick up almost faster than you can get there. You can curb the bags at the airport on your departure end, get your boarding passes and walk without bags to the gate. Just a suggestion and JMHO and experience. I like NOT being a pack mule on vacation.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
They have always gate checked strollers. Where would you put it if you were allowed to carry it on? It exceeds any carry on size and you definitely cannot fit it under the seat.

I 'snuck' our larger umbrella style on one out of 4 flights last July and it did fit in the overhead compartment of a DC-9. They gate checked it on the other 3 flights and it was waiting for us on 2 of them when we dis-embarked. On the single flight that it wasn't ready, we had to wait about 3 minutes for it.

Gail,

We somehow manage to pack our stuff into 4 carry-ons plus the "extras" they allow...purses, camera bag, etc. We'll be there for 11 nights, but will have laundry facilities in the BW 1BR.
My DH is highly motivated to skip the baggage area. I tried to convince him to check our luggage on our last big trip last spring...but no go. We'll have to change planes also, which will be a hassle. Oh well...it's better than driving. ;)

I want your packing secrets!! We're going for 5 days, 4 nights and each bring a huge rolling suitcase. Actually, my daughter brings two, one for her clothes, one for her shoes!!!!

Have fun!!

Jeanny,
Me too, Lora sounds like the packing queen!!!!! Of course, I am not sure I would want the stares that she is going to get taking 4 bags etc. on the plane. Most especially throught the security lines. ;)

Okay Ladies......here's how I pack..

My husband and I each get one small rolling carry-on size suitcase. (Our girls are little so they share one). In those cases go all of the clothes (6-7 outfits rolled up, pajamas and extras like bathing suits and water shoes stuck in here and there). Each person takes one extra pair of shoes (usually dress shoes for church). I have a fourth rolling jeep backpack (smaller than the suitcases) that I put all of our toiletries in...using travel-sized containers as much as possible. That leaves extra room for ponchos or other misc. items. My aim is to be prepared without taking the kitchen sink. (We'll be there 11 nights, and I'll do laundry half-way though our stay.)

My husband and his computer are attached at the handle...so that's his extra bag according to the carry-on rules. I take a canvas bag w/ my travel info., snacks, camera, wallet and maybe jackets. The girls each have a VERY small backpack w/ activities for the plane ride and lollipops for take off and landing.

Our only issue was the stroller....and I have my answer on that.

As for the stares I'll get...no problem for me. I don't worry about what other people think as long as I'm following the rules and not hurting them. We usually hold back and let others exit or board the plane since it takes us an extra minute to get our things down. But really, we're not taking anything more than half of the people on the plane. Many business travellers go with just their carry-on and computer and never check a thing.

So, if you see an almost 7-year old and an almost 5 year old schlepping through the airport next weekend with their gear, you'll know it's me!

We usually hold back and let others exit or board the plane since it takes us an extra minute to get our things down.

That is a wonderful thing to do, as a frequent traveler, I personally thank you. :)

And.....not to start a fight or insult you, carry on bags are getting less and less. Many don't want the hassle of being inspected.
The random checks alone are encouraging checking the bags.
On our latest flight, there were 6 people selected, they only had small carry ons and it delayed the flight take off approx. 25 mins.
They unpacked and checked EVERYTHING. I felt bad for these folks. I am glad they checked and had more than one person doing the checking.

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time. :)

Originally posted by Lora
Gail,

We somehow manage to pack our stuff into 4 carry-ons plus the "extras" they allow...purses, camera bag, etc. We'll be there for 11 nights, but will have laundry facilities in the BW 1BR.
My DH is highly motivated to skip the baggage area. I tried to convince him to check our luggage on our last big trip last spring...but no go. We'll have to change planes also, which will be a hassle. Oh well...it's better than driving. ;)

UGH! It is more of a hastle to carry all those carry ons changing planes, let alone keeping tabs of little ones and possibly carrying one of the kids because the plane was late and you don't have a lot of time between connections! Having done the pack rat thing with my three kids and not doing it on our last trip this summer (did not want the hastle with all the security stuff), I much preferred having less to carry on the plane. It was absolutely wonderful on plane connections without the hastle of tons of carryons and three kids!

Good luck with whatever you do! Have a wonderful trip! Say Hi to Mickey for me! I still have over 200 days left! :D

There have been reports that the random gate boarding checks are being discontinued. That being said, we have always found gate checking a stroller to be one of the most convenient services that the airlines provide. There is nothing like changing planes in Atlanta and having your double stroller waiting on you as you deboard the plane.

As for managing to put everything into carry-ons for a trip of 11 days with kids....way too much trouble for us, we are on vacation, not crossing the Andes with pack mules. I think that it would be a real hassle to do this during the winter months with the variables on what type of clothing to bring. Glad that it works for your family. We fly way too much to not take advantage of the airlines service to handle our luggage for us. If everyone did used only carry-ons there would not be enough room inside the cabin for the passengers imho. I hope that you only take the bins above your seats and stuff alot of it under the seat in front of you. Not trying to be judgemental, but it just seems like way too much work with the way that Orlando gets your stuff to the carousel so quickly. Have a very safe trip.

Well, I am impressed. I wasn't even thinking the girls could share a suitcase. Actually, it doesn't sound like all that much more than I've seen people bring aboard planes. I've seen some men going on business trips, who think they can take their office and their closet onto the plane!!

I purchased rolling backpacks for Christmas presents and will be using those. I usually bring a tote bag for all my "plane stuff/entertainment" and my wallet stuck in there, but thought the rolling backpack may be easier and it can fit under the seat too.

I hope you have a great time and hope security doesn't pick you to be searched!!

lora,
Just an FYI, you cannot bring even manicure scissors on board the plane. Please, check the prohibited items before you go.
Personally, I would be dead without my manicure scissors, I always need them. LOL

Thanks Gail, but I prefer an emory board. :) I'm pretty sure they won't consider that a threat.

I will miss my nice kitchen knife that I always take when I travel by car. I never can seem to find a good one in the BWV unit. :D

Hi everyone. This thread has been VERY helpful for me! I am going to be traveling with my 6 month old the first week in December and I am going nuts trying to figure out how to pack him up (well...NOT HIM, his stuff LOL!) and be tidy/efficient. I think of checking all our stuff (me, DH) and just carrying my purse and my son's diaper bag on the plane will work best. We aren't even taking his large travel stroller to WDW--simply the umbrella stroller. Am I nuts for that? He seems to like that one more.

Also...I was going to carry him around in his carrier (Baby Bjorn)on to the plane--that's not considered "luggage" or a "carry on" right? Because he stays in that when it's on me. I don't know if anyone knows this...

Because of the endless amount of gear that comes from traveling with an infant, I am trying to reduce my stress (and eveyone else's on the plane! LOL!)

I just wanted to thank everyone for all this good info!
:)

And now I know why security checkpoint is backed up. I know it's your choice, but I think it's more convenient at this point to check your luggage. Even if they suspend gate checks, which who knows, I keep hearing different things every day from the TSA, there is still random checking at the checkpoint and of course regular checks if something looks suspicious. And ewww I hope you wash your clothes before you come home, I wouldn't want to poke through someone's dirty laundry. lol ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter