Taking Friends

korzmom

<font color=deeppink>Special DIS Cast Member<br><f
we are making plans with our neighbors to go together in feb 08 dh and i are offering to get 2 studios at bwv for the week. we are good buddies and hang out alot , what do you think a fair asking price is ?

I have never rented my DVC points, but with my other timeshares we charge what the market bears. If its a good friend we only ask for enough to cover maintenance fees. Either way its a great deal for them. Just beware if you give it away, it may be expected from you on a regular bases.

Well... if you are trying to get your friends to experience DVC and buy in, then you should give them your cost rate. And if you really want them to buy in then you should give them a little better rate than cost. It really comes down to what you want to accomplish. We all have these potential buyer/friends that we want to introduce. What do you want to give up to get them in... I think just getting them there is half the task. Good Luck. :thumbsup2

I don't charge friends. I have them buy us dinner or something like that.

DH and I have discussed this issue before, but haven't done it.

To me, it would probably depend on the friends' financial situation. Assuming that they do well and could afford their own hotel room, I would do one of two things... either assume $8-9/pt and charge them the rent, or if we were adding the DDP, to ask them to pay for our portion of it and call it equal.

I don't charge friends. I have them buy us dinner or something like that.

Same here. Spending time with good friends is worth it.

Maybe do something like you'll cover the room (with DVC) and they can cover a rental car, and a nice dinner at Jiko.

johno

We are planning a trip with friends and I want to charge our maintence fee for 1 year of 160 points, While it is going to take 2 years of points to go. DW wants them to just buy a dinner or 2. I feel $700 for a week in Disney is pretty good.

I agree, past practice is hard to change....

We haven't charged any of our guests that we brought - friends or family. It's our treat for the lodging.

I don't charge my friends, either. If they can afford it, they buy us dinner. I have some friends that can barely afford their airfare and park admission, I just enjoy having them along.

We feel the same way about taking friends and family. We enjoy their company and don't ask for anything in return. That being said they have always paid for a meal or something. Last trip my SIL paid for our airport parking so when we came home we just drove off ... that was very nice too. :goodvibes

Since they are not DVC members, did you invite them to vacation with you? Are they the only good friends you have? If not, remember you are setting a precedent and if you do one good friend a great favor, the other better get the same great favor. Plus, someone else may be looking at you as being their good friend, but you may not feel the same towards them. Now you are in the situation of alienating some friends and rating how good your good friends really are. Just be consistent in whatever you decide.

Since they are not DVC members, did you invite them to vacation with you? Are they the only good friends you have? If not, remember you are setting a precedent and if you do one good friend a great favor, the other better get the same great favor. Plus, someone else may be looking at you as being their good friend, but you may not feel the same towards them. Now you are in the situation of alienating some friends and rating how good your good friends really are. Just be consistent in whatever you decide.

Yep... be careful of how you treat friends. Excellent response vandy.

I'm consistent...We've taken, over the last 10 years, about a dozen different sets of friends. We haven't charged any of them, but all have made their appreciation known....with food or dinners out and/or free babysitting.

I must have great friends.....not one has taken advantage or expects anything.

In general...

Extra close friends and family pay nothing. Extended family and good friends pay maintenance. More casual friends pay rental prices ($10/pt).

It works for us, and we feel it's our business what we "charge". If any friends or family were uncouth enough to reveal what they paid, take offense at any disparity, or ever expect free/discounted accomodations from us then they have "wronged" us much more than they could imagine we wronged them. No one needs "friends" like that!

In general...

Extra close friends and family pay nothing. Extended family and good friends pay maintenance. More casual friends pay rental prices ($10/pt).

That sounds right to me, too. We're new DVC members (as of Jul06!!), and treating DH's very close childhood friend and his family to VWL next Sept. I could see charging this way down the road for good friends and more casual friends.

Here's a good one for you! My niece is getting married in September and they are going to DW for their honeymoon. So I offered them a free week's stay at a DVC resort as a present! they turned me down! My niece told me they would rather stay at Port Orleans. My wife and I both told her that the rooms would be nicer, but still no go! They don't have much money and I thought was a nice gesture! A free week at DVC or an expensive stay at Port Orleans! I don't get it! :headache:

Here's a good one for you! My niece is getting married in September and they are going to DW for their honeymoon. So I offered them a free week's stay at a DVC resort as a present! they turned me down! My niece told me they would rather stay at Port Orleans. My wife and I both told her that the rooms would be nicer, but still no go! They don't have much money and I thought was a nice gesture! A free week at DVC or an expensive stay at Port Orleans! I don't get it! :headache:

Wow, Port Orleans is nice, but not THAT nice! I'll just put it down to their being young, and clueless. What a nice present you offered!

We're sort of in the same boat, but "our" newlyweds are going to Italy. It's been a dream of hers, and I'm glad they're able to go. I know that down the line, we'll invite the couple again, maybe with their children of the future.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. We do not charge family or friends whom we have invited. One couple who came for free, told me that she would love to come to another of our family's gathering sometime, but they would want to pay their way. As our family gets larger, there just isn't the extra points for friends, so they just may be steered to Disney reservations.

We did this same thing 3 years ago. We booked a two bedroom and we did not charge anything. They took us out to dinner and that was enough for us. Hanging out with your friends is worth it. It usually works out that friends always take care of each other. KARMA!

Good luck and have fun!!::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo :earsboy: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter