Taking Friends

Here's a good one for you! My niece is getting married in September and they are going to DW for their honeymoon. So I offered them a free week's stay at a DVC resort as a present! they turned me down! My niece told me they would rather stay at Port Orleans. My wife and I both told her that the rooms would be nicer, but still no go! They don't have much money and I thought was a nice gesture! A free week at DVC or an expensive stay at Port Orleans! I don't get it! :headache:

I think you can get PO as part of the Disney Collection. If that's where they really want to stay why not pay some nights at PO on points for them?

In Oct, my dd and I traveled to WDW with another mom and her dd...both girls were turning 13 and we were celebrating with a ladies trip to WDW. I booked a two bedroom villa at BWV....I would take the master bedroom, and the other mom would take the studio. I told her I didn't want anything for the room. She told me she wouldn't go if she didn't pay her fair share. So, I think it came to about $8 a point for her studio. I would much rather not have taken any money and had her pick up some meals, but she really believes in the old 50/50 rule.

We have only taken others twice so far, and both times we were the ones inviting them. The first was family over New Years some years ago - we got a Grand Villa for 6 nights at OKW. Everyone drove down and they paid for their admission and helped on groceries. The other time we invited my daughters best friend and booked a 2 bedroom instead of our usual 1 bedroom. Again we only asked that the admission ticket be covered.

I guess we've been lucky. A few experiences, none bad. I don't know if we would rent points - we've always used all that we have and usually don't have any extra. If someone "asked" me for use of my points I would have to look at the situation - some family members I would give usage to for free whereas others I would really have to think about ;) .

I've been consistant - i.e. no one has paid, but I frankly don't think that what I do for one friend/relative is any other friend/relative's business.

When we took my mother in law on vacation, we picked up everything. A few years later, we took my parents. Because they are better off, they were intending on covering their own airfare. Turns out they had some unanticipated expenses and we picked that up, too - but they completely understood that my mother-in-laws situation was different from theirs. We are taking friends this year, and will just pay for the room - they are on their own for park tickets/airfare and food.

A rule of thumb for me is that if we extend the invitation, we are picking up at least the room. If they ask to go along or use our points - that opens up the possibility that we'd charge.

Now what we'd charge (in the hypothetical) would depend on a lot of things - mostly how important it is to us that they go and how reasonable the price seems to be within their budget - and how much our points are worth to us at the moment. Someplace between free and $8 a point - if I were going to charge the "going rate" of $10-12, I'd send someone to the DIS.

I don't charge friends and family either. I enjoy treating them and they enoy treating me to a dinner at Jiko.

Just beware if you give it away, it may be expected from you on a regular bases.

I have taken friends about half the time I've gone down there and have never asked them for anything. I always looked at it this way: if I enjoy their company and if I invite them to come down, how can I charge? After all, I've had friends over for holidays for years and have never charged them for the meal. :)

Besides, I have found that the vast majority of them, once seeing what Disney and, especially DVC, has to offer, they are soon new members and going down on their own points -- and sometimes even inviting me to return the favor.:3dglasses

We haven't charged any of our guests that we brought - friends or family. It's our treat for the lodging.

Same here. The idea of inviting friends to come to WDW and then expecting to make money off of them rubs me the wrong way - I wouldn't do it. If I wasn't willing to use my dvc points (at MY expense), then I wouldn't make the offer - I'd recommend a nice value/moderate/deluxe resort they can book at, depending on their trip budget.

Like the others who don't charge invited guests have said - it's not uncommon for my guests to treat me to dinner/lunch some day. That's a nice touch, and it's something they can do to reciprocate.

The exception in my case was the Disney cruises. I had a friend who enjoyed cruising, so I'd use my points to book the cruises for us and in return she'd pay the parking fee at the port and pay my tips on the cruise. So, for about $225 she got a 7-night cruise, and I didn't have to shell out that cash - I only had to pay for Palo, drinks, etc.

I think you can get PO as part of the Disney Collection. If that's where they really want to stay why not pay some nights at PO on points for them?

Point wise it is not a smart way to use my points. A week at Port Orleans would run about 140 points. For 80 or 90 points they could stay at either OKW or SSR and enjoy much better accommodations! I think I'll give cash and forget I offered! I only have 160 points so 140 would kill my vaction.

Here's a question? If family members go down on your points but, you stay home do you charge them? As in like your brother's or sister's families or other relatives.

Here's a question? If family members go down on your points but, you stay home do you charge them? As in like your brother's or sister's families or other relatives.

If I offer it to them ahead of time, I would gift them the points (if we weren't able to go). But if they asked to use the points and we couldn't go, I might ask them to pay a portion of the cost. But if they keep asking to go with us and nagging us about it, they don't go. We invite, they accept. That's it.

Last year my sister asked to use my points for her family DH DS DS I charged her maybe 6 dollars a point. Came out to about 500 dollars for a week. After the fact I felt really bad about it! The good news is it almost covered my annual fees.

well we really didnt "invite them" ...they wanted to go to disney for their anniversary and we go all the time so they asked if we'd go down with them as a help us to see everything and not miss anything good guide...and of course any oppurtunity to go back to disney is a good one so we decided to go together and thats when dh suggested getting 2 studios at BWV and they said its all up to us make the reservations and the plans and they'll go along with whatever we chose...so we didnt want to charge them the full amount because they are our friends so thats why i asked what a fair rate would be..everyone had good suggestions and we decided $700.00 for the week was pretty fair- compared to what it actually is! we are all paying for the dinner package and they need to get their passes(we have annual) so now all thats left is to try and get a good rate on airfare...thanks for all your help!

Same here. The idea of inviting friends to come to WDW and then expecting to make money off of them rubs me the wrong way - I wouldn't do it.

Totally agreed, if we're inviting them to come with us as we are with dh's friend. If someone just asked me to use some points because they wanted to go on vacation, then I could see charging some reduced rate. Seems to me that what korzmom decided was fair. Sounds likea good deal for all! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter