Taking walk ups at Skippers Canteen today?

Can't wait to hear some food reviews - especially the desserts :)

We did not get the Coconut Bar as my DS (1) does not like coconut and (2) said it looked like a bar of butter. Will for sure try next time.

Bertha's Banh Bong Lan Cake with Mango-Lime Sorbet (Vanilla Chiffon Cake soaked with Lemon-Grass Ginger Syrup)

The name is way longer and bigger than the dessert. It is literally a cake the size of half a mini muffin with not much more than a tablespoon of sorbet on top. The rest of the plate was decorations of mango bits, a sliver of I think chocolate, not sure what the green stuff was maybe the lemon-grass evolved and three what looked like white morsels but they were more a meringue that tasted very herbal (perfume like). It was different but good but surely not worth the $8 charge. I could have eaten the cake w/ice cream in one bite it was so small. I think we all thought it was good but it had those flavors that you had to mull.

6228920E-AA4F-4F26-8137-DE0FD3398436_3.jpg

Kungaloosh! (An African inspired Chocolate Cake with Caramelized Bananas served with Cashew-Caramel Ice Cream topped with Coffee Dust)

Interesting that they call it African inspired because I found this one to be the most like you would get in any variety of restaurants. That is not to negate that it was delicious. The chocolate cake was more like a fudge cake and rich. The ice cream was amazing and I would have ordered just a bowl of that. Add the caramelized bananas with the dusting this was one of those desserts that any one component could have stood on it's own. We all loved this one.

D76EB754-2EA0-4C3C-B6AC-82F7D89782EC.jpg

Sugar-Crusted Congee Pudding (Caramelized Custard with Millet, Almost, Apricot, Dates and Honey-Almond Tuile)

This is the most creative presentation overall with a variety of texture, color and ingredients. I feel like there is more to this that the description. We all stared at it, really not sure what it was or what to think. The bottom looks like a crab cake or bread pudding so hard to process it as custard and millet. I really enjoyed it, lots of different flavors in your mouth. The tuile was yummy. Was not a favorite for the others but I really enjoyed all the flavors and textures.

350A1132-13BF-4475-A6DA-24CD0BC35695_1.jpg

Last edited:
1) No breakfast.
2) Lots of people have a mid-morning meal instead of breakfast AND lunch.
3) Plus, many people grab an early bite at their resort before starting out.
4) It's standard DISboards advice to eat outside "standard" meal times for the best experience.

The restaurant is now on Disney World website. It shows that reservations are accepted. The reservations just haven't opened yet.

We went yesterday and walked right up. Here's my review and just the video of us eating the Kungaloosh dessert. It was so good I didn't get to take a picture, just people devouring it.

http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/skipper-canteen-now-open-at-magic-kingdom/

The whole place looked very open and they said the soft opening was going well so I doubt it'll close again, if so maybe just for a day for more training. We walked up at 11:47 am and had 4 minute wait.

I am going to have to eat vicariously through you all. My guys have requested that we keep the "back up" ADR I made for LTT because they think it looks better. Booooring.

Trying to understand the system, as we're arriving on 1/20, and it sounds increasingly like there will be no reservations for that date.

Once the guest receives their "table ready" text, how long do they have to get to the desk? Suppose I'm on the Jungle Cruise or at the top of the treehouse - it's going to be 10-12 minutes before we can get back. And if we were in a longer-than-expected line at Haunted Mansion based on a "45 minute wait", it might be longer.

I understand everything will be in flux for a couple weeks, and subject to change, but maybe one of our current visitors has some insight.

The prices are WAY too high as well. Especially the kids meals. $23 for a bowl of pho? $10.50 for a kids meal of chicken noodle soup and fruit???? $23 for a chicken breast with rice and stir fried veggies? Just nuts.

Am I the only one who thinks everything is priced at least $5 too high? I know it is MK but come on.

Quite simply supply and demand

I don't think Disney could possibly provide menu options to serve the entire population of people with developmental disorders. ...My nephew, who is on the spectrum, has a very limited list of things he will eat - most of which would never be on any restaurant menu. My sister does not expect any restaurant we go to to have those items on hand. She packs them with her and everyone is happy.

Sounds like your Sister knows how to keep her family happy, as well as probably enjoy the day.

Maybe the photos and videos don't do it justice, but the place doesn't feel jungly at all.

What do you mean "jungly"?

We toured all rooms with CM and while we were eating I said if it weren't for the banner that said Jungle Cruise and a few low key items, I would have made no connection to the ride.

My daughter stopped by there today but didn't eat (we already had reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern). We did talk to a cast member though and she said they are only taking walk ups as of right now using the text notification system. They were also still out of cups as of this morning and had actually printed up new menus that don't show pictures of the cups, so there are less disappointed guests.

What do you mean "jungly"?
Jungle-ly. :)

We toured all rooms with CM and while we were eating I said if it weren't for the banner that said Jungle Cruise and a few low key items, I would have made no connection to the ride.
That's what it seems like to me. It almost seems like they could turn the place around in a day or so, open the doors to it from Frontierland (of course, they'd have to build the entry), as much in theme with that part of the park as Adventurland.

Jungle-ly. :)

That's what it seems like to me. It almost seems like they could turn the place around in a day or so, open the doors to it from Frontierland (of course, they'd have to build the entry), as much in theme with that part of the park as Adventurland.
Its good to have a backup plan. That way if this version bombs, they can try out the Tiana/Cajun theme

I'm hoping they start taking ADRs by the time we are there... We like to have a sit-down lunch and I won't go to the MK without an ADR. I'd prefer this restaurant, but the no-ADRs would be a deal breaker for my family. I can see how it could be a great opportunity for others, though.

JSC is actually not going to be participating in ADR... ever. I haven't been to work since Tuesday but as of then, we were accepting TIW. unless something changed from then until now, we definitely accept it and i helped out 2 guests that day with it :-)

Never! :eek:
Off the list for me then. I will not wait in a line to eat. I want to have an ADR at MK.
We will go to LTT then or over to one of the resorts. So disappointing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter