Talk dishwashers to me

We currently have a Frigidaire. It's on the medium noise range, does what we want and cleans well. We had a Bosch before that. Didn't work out well for us but was very quiet, sometimes so quiet that we had to check to see if it was really running and sometimes it wasn't. We had issues with it all the time after a couple of years. We just decided that the extra money wasn't always worth it.

We have Bosch, 5 1/2 years now. It is so quiet you have NO idea it's on, unless you see the red light on the floor. Ours does not have a heating element, so to dry the plastic stuff, we do open the door and leave it partially open, after it runs. I love it though, cleans fantastic.

We have a Whirlpool Gold Series, and up until a couple of days ago, I would have recommended it. It was cleaning well and is much quieter than whatever what we had before (that came with the house.) I love that the silverware basket is long and thin and clicks into the door, so it doesn't take up a large chunk of space from the rack!

But the other day, the soap seemed not to be dissolving, so I've been hand-washing things for a couple of days until I decide it's worth calling a repair person:

In general, though, back when we were shopping for it, I remember looking for something that was efficient, quiet, and had a delay timer (which I ended up hardly ever using). I also remember some of them having the controls only accessible with the door open, which I didn't like.

Every brand is quiet now. We have had a Frigidare, Maytag, Bosch and now a Whirlpool in the 39 years we have been in our house.
Maytag leaked at the point where the racks attach to the dishwasher doing $2,000 damage to our kitchen flooring.
Bosch, expensive, but if you ever needs parts, forget it. You can't get them.
We have had the Whirlpool for almost 8 years now, no issues.
I strongly suggest before buying at a big box store like Home Depot that you seek out an Appliance only store. When we remodeled our kitchen our contractor sent us to an Appliance only store, and they had every Dishwasher they sold set up in the store so you could hear them, and see the different features. Really anything above $450 is probably going to do everything you need. Expect to spend $100 for a stainless steel tub, which the salesman says is just a matter of personal preference since most makers warranty the plastic tub for life.

Bosch with the 3rd drawer on top which really is an extra pull out shelf that is great for long knives, spatulas, large spoons etc.
Yes, I forgot to add, look at how the racks are laid out. Different brands are set up differently. None seemed better than the others to us, just a matter of which rack layout you prefer.

We've been very pleased with our quiet Kitchen aid that we bought at Home Depot a few years ago. I did a lot of research and this was the one that came out best for us.

Our kitchen is open to the family room and we can't hear the dishwasher run unless we are right in top of it. And then it's still very quiet.
That’s what we have. Love it.

We have an LG and it's been fine for our needs. I feel like it has gotten noisier over time but I guess we have just learned to deal with it - I remember when we got it (replaced a GE) we thought it was so amazingly quiet.

We bought a kitchenaid last summer. I wanted a Bosch, but they were completely out of stock. I’ve really come to like my kitchenaid, especially the third shelf. You can put mugs and glasses, as well as silverware on it. It allows for a lot of flexibility in how the dishwasher is loaded, which is important to me. It cleans very well-no need to prerinse. My husband ended up putting a lower end Bosch at his office and it does not clean well and ends up smelling if you don’t run it daily. I’d be careful with the cheaper Bosch dishwashers.

Kitchenaid here as well. Had ours about 2 years and super quiet, which is nice as we have an open concept house. When I was looking there were alot of dishwashers with 3 racks. Decided against that as the main bottom rack lost some height then. I'm not sure it would have ever been an issue but just wanted the olden day layout with the 2 racks.

Bosch with the 3rd drawer on top which really is an extra pull out shelf that is great for long knives, spatulas, large spoons etc.

This is on my list for the next dishwasher. The big utensils don’t all fit in the utensil rack so I’ll stick them on the top rack.

I have a whirlpool gold and it’s 18yo. It cleans well.

Our Whirlpool is just a few months old, and it works great with Cascade Platinum. You can hear it working and you can have a conversation while it works. Not too loud. Not silent. Fits where the old one was without any trouble. No complaints.

Another vote for Bosch. The only "problem" we've had with cleanliness is my DH over-stuffing the dishwasher. Our dishwasher is so quiet that everyone forgets that it's on, and accidently opens the door. We've had it about 4 years, and this has happened as recently as last week.

We're a family of 5 that cooks most meals at home--plus, my teens love to cook and bake. So, we generate a lot of dishes, and DH is the dish washer--he re-loads the dishwasher (because we never do it right :rolleyes: ) and does any hand washing. He picked the dishwasher when we re-did the kitchen. He's an engineer--worse, he's the guy in meetings who asks a gazillion questions and won't sign off until they're all answered. It can be annoying, but he's the guy you want running a nuclear power plant. Anyway, he did a ton of research, and inspected every model to see about features (stainless interior? adjustable racks?) Needless to say, the dishwasher and the faucet were the only things I let him pick out in the entire kitchen.

We have a Maytag we got in 2019. It’s super quiet - we have an open floor plan - and it has the third drawer on top. It also has a garbage disposal so there’s no filter to clean.

Looking for something reliable, QUIET, and efficient.

bosch-their slogan should be 'you'll never know how quiet we are until you don't hear us running'. seriously-any dishwasher that has to have a visual indicator to remind you it's running is about as quiet as you can get. ours is in a kitchen/great room combo-no need to raise voices/increase tv volume when it's running. side note-if you have hard water and no water softener system consider getting the bosch that has it's own built in water softener. it will greatly increase the lifespan of the dishwasher.

Ours is from 2014 and it's a GE I don't know the model. It's not really all that quiet but that's not a deal breaker for us.

The utensil rack can be placed either on the door or hung on the outside of the bottom rack either way you want it's never going to take up space in the bottom rack itself. However there was an additional holder provided that does slot in on the bottom rack that will take up a bit of space if you'll use it (It's about half the length of the normal rack but has different slots than the main one).

I do wish we had a 3rd rack though but we make due with the larger utensils (like spatulas, plastic spoons, tongs, etc) on the top rack and just make sure to put stuff on the outer edges so a spoon doesn't fall down below.

We did just have to replace the top blade mechanism (fairly inexpensive) be that was more a freak thing of one of the blades breaking. Unfortunately it touched the heating element and started to melt (as it's plastic) which created a burning smell which is how we found out something was wrong. We got all the melted plastic off the heating element, got the new top blade mechanism and it's fine now.

My thoughts on dishwasher design. There should be some velcro straps on the upper rack that you can use to hold down plastic containers or bowls to keep them from flying around during the cycle. They always end up upside down and full of water. Need better places for bowls. Most racks are only designed for shallow bowls and not the ones that most of have. While many brands have a silverware holder on the door, they need a power sprayer that sprays into the holder directly to get some of the gunk off of your forks and spoons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter