Talk dishwashers to me

Right now ours sounds like a rocket taking off, so anything new will probably be quiet in comparison. This is a lot of info! Who knew dishwashers were so captivating?! :rotfl2:
I definitely know what I like and don’t like in a dishwasher. With a family of 4-5 (one away at college most of the time) who prepare a lot of meals at home, the dishwasher is probably our most used appliance (other than something like a refrigerator that is always in use). Rarely does a day go by that I don’t use it, many days I run it twice and in the days leading up to a holiday meal I may run it 4-5 times in one day.

What the PP said! I think we ran it 4 times yesterday!

I will say, a cycle on our Bosch take north of 2 hours (depends on the setting--2:15, 2:25, etc.). Yesterday, it seemed like it was running all day. Not because we could hear it--because of the dishes piled up, waiting for the next round. Normally we have 4 living here--DD18 is at a local college. But, she's home for break, so I made a turkey and some sides--one of her favorites. And her brother made cookies.

We bought a Whirlpool over Labor Day weekend when our Samsung stopped working for the 4th time (same issue, over and over again for 8 years and I was done paying for a service call when I could put that $ toward a new and hopefully reliable dishwasher). I've been very pleased, does a great job, has the top (3rd) rack for knives and utensils. The only thing I wish is that the cycle was faster; the normal cycle is 3 hours, the sensor cycle is 3 hours 23 minutes and the heavy duty cycle is 4 hours. But it is quiet and so far dependable so I'll deal with the long cycle.

We have 2 Bosch dishwashers on order because our current dishwasher is useless and we generate a lot of dirty dishes. Our previous homes had Bosch dishwashers which we loved, so we ordered Bosch dishwashers this time around too.

What the PP said! I think we ran it 4 times yesterday!

I will say, a cycle on our Bosch take north of 2 hours (depends on the setting--2:15, 2:25, etc.). Yesterday, it seemed like it was running all day. Not because we could hear it--because of the dishes piled up, waiting for the next round. Normally we have 4 living here--DD18 is at a local college. But, she's home for break, so I made a turkey and some sides--one of her favorites. And her brother made cookies.

we've found that if the dishes are even so much as just scraped we do fine just using the 60 minute express cycle for most all of our loads. if i've got something that's dried on a bit i just spray it with some 'awsome orange' spray from the dollar store (works great on cutting grease as well). i LOVE that all the spindles can be folded down to accommodate different sizes and shapes of items. i also maximized the space on the bottom by just removing the utensil holder b/c the top rack utensil holder does us just fine.

Right now ours sounds like a rocket taking off, so anything new will probably be quiet in comparison. This is a lot of info! Who knew dishwashers were so captivating?! :rotfl2:

WOW, timely thread here!!! There's no "sounds like a rocket taking off" but more like "taking forever to complete the cleaning/drying cycles" that DW is complaining about so she is looking into a replacement since the dishwasher came with the house and checking the "manufactured date" indicates it's approaching its 72nd Birthday. :love1:

When I was looking at dishwashers two years ago, by far the most important feature to me was the one hour wash. Our last dishwasher (Kenmore) took forever. So I got a Whirlpool that has that feature and I love it! Simple features, easy to use, not overly loud. I read lots of reviews before I bought and so far, so good. 🤞🏻 It is so nice to have one I like.

This might be helpful for anyone considering a Whirlpool:

https://www.designerappliances.com/blog/best-whirlpool-dishwashers/

Hmm...if my dishwasher will now take 3 hours but is super quiet, I have to figure out which ones will work faster, but possibly slightly louder.

We have patched this thing up and kept it going for 11 years and I have no idea how long the owners had it before us. The house was empty for a while before us.

It used to be nice when appliances lasted 20 years. Nowadays it's like 5 years and you need a new dryer or fridge.

I find the heated drying cycle adds a lot of extra time to the total cycle and don't use it. Dishes are hot enough from the normal wash cycle to dry on their own. Just open the door for a few minutes after the wash cycle is complete and then dishes are dry enough to put away.

We recently replaced our dishwasher that died. We had a choice between the one with a curved handle and one with a different handle, ie that was all that was in stock in our small town. It is a Whirlpool and is so quiet we have to look at the buttons to see if it is running. Cleans well and love the shallow, top, third shelf—great for lids, utensils, etc. We have a Whirlpool at our second home that has been working well for about 5 years now. It replaced the noisiest-ever Kenmore that cleaned like a dream.

We got a Bosch several years ago, and it's been great. I do only use it about 60-70% of the time, I dont' mind handwashing sometimes. Also, only use the express/quick clean cycle, never tried the longer ones, and it does a great job. I do wish the prongs were spaced out a little more. Until recently, used Fiestaware dishes, and was tricky to find the best way to load the bowls. Otherwise, great dishwasher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter