Talk me down :)!

2vets

Addicted since 1971
I am seriously sweating our upcoming stay. Poly LV CL - we can afford it, got a great deal through our TA, and we'll be in the area already for a conference. Checking in Sat afternoon, and checking out early Wed morning to head home (I know we could save $ on check-in and especially check-out days - if I was money smart, I'd check out and then go stay close to the airport that night, but I wanted to be able to relax, and having to pack up and vacate the day before I fly always makes me sad). TS reservations for Kona, CG, Narcoosees, and Citricos for the nights we're there.

it's just - it's only DH and I. No kids. Just us, 40/50 yrs old. Planning on some FWF, and no other big agendas than just to ride some stuff in the mornings and hang out. Sounds great - and I was brought up in Florida, so being at WDW always gives me such a sense of childhood nostalgia. DH can take it or leave it - he enjoys it, but he's really going to be sweet to me. I keep pricing out USO, since it's more "adult" in a lot of ways, has far more new-to-us stuff, and is less $$, but I just can't get into the whole Marvel thing, and DH despises Harry Potter.

In short, I feel weird about it. Guilty about time off of work, and feeling weird for wanting to go there with no kids (it's not bothered me before, but this time, it is bugging me).

Am I nuts? I mean, obviously, I'm here asking all of you, and you guys are probably a wee bit biased, but what do you think??? Argh.

Yes you're nuts. For feeling guilty. If you can afford it, and got a great deal, why are you feeling guilty? Life is too short to not enjoy it. This Oct, we're going without kids for the first time and I'm super excited. We're going to enjoy food & wine. I did book art of animation the first night because we're flying in so late (after midnight) but then we're staying at boardwalk and grand floridian. And we booked a late return flight so we can enjoy the day. No guilt, just excitement. Enjoy!!

I agree with Bela. Heck enjoy your trip and "Hakuna Matata" no worries. You have an awesome resort and some great reservations. Enjoy It!!!

Sounds lovely. Relaxing, just you and your sweetie. Not only should you not feel guilty for not having kids along, but IMO time together with your partner is an essential part of a strong relationship and a strong relationship is good for the kids. And time off from work is even more essential to ensure staff do not stress out and burn out and come back to work far more productive than if they'd worked through and not taken vacation.

Let me tell you about a conversation my wife and I had in 2013. First time we had ever been to WDW without children or grandchildren. It really felt weird while planning for the trip. It was our second trip of the year and the main purpose was to attend a destination wedding in Jacksonville so we used the excuse to get 7 more days at Disney. The third day we were relaxing at pool side and my wife turned to me and said, "Best vacation EVER" She was right. It was. So much so that we now travel down every year without anyone but the two of us. We are in our 60's and boy, let me tell ya something, once you go alone as a pair you'll never do it any other way. 98 more days and we're back.

Disney without kids is Disney done right!

Don't feel bad for taking time off of work. If your work had their way you would never get time off.

Don't feel guilty. Feel relaxed lounging on the Poly beach and feel tipsy drinking at Trader Sam's... but don't feel guilty at all!

I am seriously sweating our upcoming stay. Poly LV CL - we can afford it, got a great deal through our TA, and we'll be in the area already for a conference. Checking in Sat afternoon, and checking out early Wed morning to head home (I know we could save $ on check-in and especially check-out days - if I was money smart, I'd check out and then go stay close to the airport that night, but I wanted to be able to relax, and having to pack up and vacate the day before I fly always makes me sad). TS reservations for Kona, CG, Narcoosees, and Citricos for the nights we're there.

it's just - it's only DH and I. No kids. Just us, 40/50 yrs old. Planning on some FWF, and no other big agendas than just to ride some stuff in the mornings and hang out. Sounds great - and I was brought up in Florida, so being at WDW always gives me such a sense of childhood nostalgia. DH can take it or leave it - he enjoys it, but he's really going to be sweet to me. I keep pricing out USO, since it's more "adult" in a lot of ways, has far more new-to-us stuff, and is less $$, but I just can't get into the whole Marvel thing, and DH despises Harry Potter.

In short, I feel weird about it. Guilty about time off of work, and feeling weird for wanting to go there with no kids (it's not bothered me before, but this time, it is bugging me).

Am I nuts? I mean, obviously, I'm here asking all of you, and you guys are probably a wee bit biased, but what do you think??? Argh.

A wee bit biased?! HA!!! Seriously - it sounds like HEAVEN! And I get the nostalgia part. Along with other things, childhood nostalgia definitely draws me back to WDW year after year. Don't feel guilty - enjoy it! I do love going to WDW with my son, but DH and I did an adults only trip about 10 years ago (stayed at BWI) and had the BEST time. Personally, I wouldn't switch to US. We are doing a split stay this year (to celebrate DS reading all of the Harry Potter books), but WWOHP is the only reason we are going. We've stayed there before and enjoyed it, but it definitely doesn't have the same magical vibe as WDW (IMHO). And if you aren't that interested in the attractions, I don't think it's worth it. Go and enjoy!

OMG, you guys are making me feel so much better!!!!! Thank you!!!

We've gone twice without the kids (they are adults now) in the last 3 years. Trying to figure out when we are going again-without them! It's great to not have to try to please anyone other than the 2 of you. Relax by the pool or a lounge, eat where, when and how you want-try the things the kids won't eat, etc. Sleep in or get up late. Commando tour or stroll along. The world (DIsney World)is your oyster when it's just you and your other!

Simple. If you are sweating your choice then don't do it. You should never feel guilty doing something you love unless you know you are stretching yourself thin.

One more vote for life is short. You should try to include as many different kinds of experiences as you can, including and especially time alone with your DH on a magical vacation :)

I LOVE our couple only trips to WDW. My DH and I have been five times in the past four years, and are planning our sixth this November. You need to have fun as a couple!

I have my eye on doing a solo trip someday but not sure how to bring that up to the hubby. I don't think he will be as amenable as when I told him I wanted to visit my parents on my own. LOL!

Why would anyone feel guilty about taking time off work? You might love your job but it does not love you back.

I think I am going to put this on a t-shirt. You know, you're right!

I do take every bit of my vacation, and we travel a lot - it's just that autumn is a tough time to be gone. I might have to do an hour's worth of work every day to keep current. I suppose that's OK.

I've been to WDW adults only several times now and have loved it! The last time was in February with just my mom. We had a blast. Before that was with my husband on our honeymoon. Loved that time too, especially since it was his first time at WDW. Our next trip will probably be with kids, and I'm a little apprehensive.

But don't feel guilty. Disney is about enjoying the time there, so enjoy it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter