Talk to me about September

There is the chance of hurricane and I don't know when it has ever been "cool" in the evenings in early September. Early September is hot and it showers almost every afternoon. That being said, it is one of my favorite times to go in recent years. The crowds are manageable and if an afternoon shower lasts more than 20 minutes it clears the parks.

Would late October be any better weather wise? I know the crowds are a bit thicker, but how much so?

October is the new busy season. You still have warm temps pretty much the whole month. There might be a cool front in there, but no way of knowing. Weather is crazy down here at the bottom of the U.S. :)

I went this past September. It was my first time going in any month other than January and I was not prepared for the heat/humidity. You can read about it and understand that it will be humid, but I was still surprised. The back of my shirt was drenched at bag check. Of course, I've never been over the summer and it's not fair to compare September weather to January weather. Also, it did rain every day we were there but it was a short storm in the middle of the day and didn't get in the way of any of our activities.

I think it just depends what you're accustomed to. Even though the weather posed a bit of a challenge for us, I would still be willing to go in September again.

Would you ever plan a short trip during September, if you're only going to have 2 or 3 days in park?

That's what we did this year. We had two-day base tickets and then also had tickets to MNSSHP. Crowds were very light. But it was as hot as Hades.

I was SO hot and sweaty on the night of the party. We rode Splash around 5 pm and I never completely dried. I smelled pretty ripe! I couldn't wait to shower!

We've been the last two septembers - both were hotter than I had expected, but we don't mind the heat and just plan our day with plenty of indoor breaks and water stops. Joffrey's cold brew coffee is the cure for what ails you when it's super toasty outside :)

My problem with “hot” is I am never sure what is hot. When I talk to my Minnesota colleagues, they talk about hot for temps I would view as gorgeous. I live in Phoenix so hot here is pretty intolerable (if the planes can’t land, is it really fair to expect me to go outside?). I wouldn’t do a theme park in phx in September (water park yes). I want to go end of September to Disney but I worry about how hot is too hot.

My problem with “hot” is I am never sure what is hot. When I talk to my Minnesota colleagues, they talk about hot for temps I would view as gorgeous. I live in Phoenix so hot here is pretty intolerable (if the planes can’t land, is it really fair to expect me to go outside?). I wouldn’t do a theme park in phx in September (water park yes). I want to go end of September to Disney but I worry about how hot is too hot.

As they say on the east coast "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". I grew up in Colorado and midwest heat is a very different thing from east coast heat. We adjusted, but that's something to prepare for too. I can handle REALLY hot temps when it's dry heat, my tolerance goes down when you add in humid heavy air. September was a fair mix of both the last 2 years (one trip at the end of the month and one mid month) - temps got up in the 90's but with humidity the "real feel" was up around 100 or so.

We went at the end of September and were not prepared for it. Being Seattle residents, we're cold weather people and it was way too hot. Granted, it was hot and dry for the time but it did us in. 90+ with the humidity was bad for us. We had a much better time in the evening (the Halloween party and EMH nights were the best). We're going to try it again at the end of February to see if that is better for us and avoid the summer sweat as best we can.

As they say on the east coast "It's not the heat, it's the humidity".

Yes, this is so true. We're from east coast Canada, which most people don't exactly think of as hot, but where we are, we actually have days of higher humidity in the summer, than Disney. When we went in June/July, my husband and I actually found the humidity more tolerable in Florida, than home. I mean, it was definitely hotter temperatures, but the humidity wasn't as bad. Most days were 90-95, with real feels of 110-115. We had showers (downpours, lol) every day, but they normally only lasted about 30ish minutes, except for one night which had horrible storms run through for about 2.5 hours.

As they say on the east coast "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". I grew up in Colorado and midwest heat is a very different thing from east coast heat. We adjusted, but that's something to prepare for too. I can handle REALLY hot temps when it's dry heat, my tolerance goes down when you add in humid heavy air. September was a fair mix of both the last 2 years (one trip at the end of the month and one mid month) - temps got up in the 90's but with humidity the "real feel" was up around 100 or so.

Before moving to Phoenix, I lived in Houston and I found that more tolerable than Phoenix. Part of me now wonders if I just misremember things or if it I just do better with humidity. In Phoenix, I feel like I am a dried husk- like my lips are always chapped, I am always thirsty (I carry a plastic Brita bottle everywhere) and i swear the sun is brighter and fiercer.

I now associate Orlando with heat and humidity and the occasional dramatic downpour so much that I actually kind of missed it when I last visited in late November. I know that sounds weird... it just feels like a WDW vacation.

I now associate Orlando with heat and humidity and the occasional dramatic downpour so much that I actually kind of missed it when I last visited in late November. I know that sounds weird... it just feels like a WDW vacation.

Totally get where you are coming from there. For me the hallmarks of an Orlando trip are the humidity, heat, torrential downpours for 20 minutes and themeparks. In that order.

Been twice in September now, 2017 and 2018. Hurricanes both times but neither an issue save for 2 days forced relaxation in hotel room in 2017. The weather this year was blazing hot compared to last year I felt, a bit of an outlier. AFAIK the hurricane that passed by this year sucked a lot of the rain north (but not moisture in the air) so left it pretty hot without many of the typical rainstorms we'd see before. Still we managed, and I will not contemplate ever going somewhere that is the same temp or colder as my native North-East England as that would be depressing for me to say the least. I spend a lot of money to go somewhere with more sunshine and warmth and any chance it might be cold or overcast is not worth it - I'll take the odd heatwave over that any day of the week.

In summary, crowds OK, weather pretty nice compared to summer especially, costs of trip lower than at other times of the year. Not to mention Food and Wine, which I really enjoyed last year especially. Would 100% go again in September.

So if we book through Disney they allow cancellation up to 24 hours in advance, correct? So it would then just be the flights we would have to worry about?

We rent points thru a site and so our trip is not a package. We get insurance that covers airfare and resort. Living in the northeast the hurricane issue is always a concern. Orlando may be fine but the weather here could mean our airports are closed. Depends on where you live I guess but if we can't fly the weather in Orlando doesn't matter:flower1:

We are thinking about going Labor Day week next year. Fingers crossed for no hurricane.

We’ve gone the last two septembers. 2017 we had Hurricane Irma bearing down on us. We left 4am the morning of the day she hit. We drove. My sister lucked out and her plane was already scheduled before the airports shut down.

Last year we left at out planned time but ended up having to get a room in Tallahassee for an extra night cause TS Gordon was blocking our path home

Just echoing everyone else--the threat of hurricanes (either while you're there or affecting getting down there), and then it's HOT AND HUMID. I read everywhere that it was hot and humid but wow, it was another thing entirely to experience. Still a great trip though, with low crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter