"Talk to me, Goose..." TOP GUN: MAVERICK trailer drops

Back in '85 when they made the movie, my friend's uncle was one of the Navy Pilots that filmed the action scenes. He was very proud of the work they did. Remember, this was back in the day before they had all the special effects they can do now.

Also, my dh was a military pilot (29 years, retired) and is still an active pilot with a major airline. He loves this movie! In fact, his least favorite part is Kelly McGillis. He said she ruined it with the romance part ... get back to the flying! :rotfl2: It is funny, he will rip apart other military movies, but not this one. Other pilots in his unit love it too. Top Gun managed to be mentioned in lots of discussions over the years with other "military nerds" but was never ripped apart. They knew the story line was fantasy, but they loved the flying!
I have the 25th anniversary Blu-Ray version. It came with a bunch of documentaries including a piece on the new school at NAS Fallon. Also interviews with several of the pilots who flew for the movie.

I’ve heard that call signs aren’t chosen but given. Sometimes due to an embarrassing incident in flight school. Tom Cruise had his own personal pilot called Bozo. Apparently his embarrassing incident was when he closed a canopy on his flight suit and got stuck. During a flight taking up Tom, he apparently flew too rough and Cruise had lost his lunch into his mask. Bozo also got to buzz the tower. He said other pilots were coming up to him asking him to make them proud doing something they all wanted to do but wouldn’t because it might end their careers.

And an AP article from 1986:
https://www.apnews.com/2949391c83faab3881c909e3e70e80bd

Yes, all the pilots I know have their nickname given to them. No one gets to chose. And yes, many of the names I know are not due to the most flattering circumstances.

"Two Chins" is my personal favorite name. I love that guy, but he had a few pounds on him. Great pilot, so they couldn't get him on anything other than that. Hearing the pilots just talk normally and say Two Chins like it is a regular name cracks me up.

Yes, all the pilots I know have their nickname given to them. No one gets to chose. And yes, many of the names I know are not due to the most flattering circumstances.

"Two Chins" is my personal favorite name. I love that guy, but he had a few pounds on him. Great pilot, so they couldn't get him on anything other than that. Hearing the pilots just talk normally and say Two Chins like it is a regular name cracks me up.
At least they didn't name him Pooh Pilot. :)

There’s a list of them. Quite a few are at least tangentially related to bodily functions. A couple are Bambi and Bambi Killer after striking or shooting deer.

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

I love the last scene in Top Gun and since the lead actress doesn’t appear to be in the new one it concerns me.

The movie takes place some 30+ years after the original. As with most relationships, they probably couldn't make it work. Enter the younger Jennifer Connelly, as seen in the trailer.

Also, in real life, Kelly McGillis may have some health problems. She is rather pooh sized & matronly looking. So, even if she wanted to be in the movie, she doesn't quite fit the image of how most people would like to think has happened to the character, Charlie.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kelly+McGillis

She was in a Hallmark movie a couple years ago about an Amish community. Interesting how she keeps being drawn to that. She was good in it. But, I didn't recognize her at all.

The movie takes place some 30+ years after the original. As with most relationships, they probably couldn't make it work. Enter the younger Jennifer Connelly, as seen in the trailer.

Also, in real life, Kelly McGillis may have some health problems. She is rather pooh sized & matronly looking. So, even if she wanted to be in the movie, she doesn't quite fit the image of how most people would like to think has happened to the character, Charlie.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kelly+McGillis

She was in a Hallmark movie a couple years ago about an Amish community. Interesting how she keeps being drawn to that. She was good in it. But, I didn't recognize her at all.
In real life people get old. In this discussion we were talking about how Val Kilmer got old.

I think she's semi-retired now. You don't really see too much work from actresses who gained weight, like Kathleen Turner.

Just the opening "bong" music note got me pumped to see this!

Now that this is stuck in my head. . . :music:

For everyone else too, who saw the new trailer. The movie clips below are from the original movie, before all the CGI. And it apparently was when big haired musicians were still in. :lmao:

Now that this is stuck in my head. . . :music:

For everyone else too, who saw the new trailer. The movie clips below are from the original movie, before all the CGI. And it apparently was when big haired musicians were still in. :lmao:

Bwahahahaha!! :rotfl2:

That is some serious BIG HAIR and some SERIOUS silver lame. He was working it! :laughing:

Just confirms how much I ❤ the 80's!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter