Talked husband into split staying DL/DCA and Universal...please help with MUST sees!

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
We're looking at arriving mid-afternoon on a Friday or Saturday and departing mid-morning either on a Saturday or Sunday (either end of August/into Labor Day Weekend or early November for the teachers convention break). Traveling will be 4 adults, 2 girls age 13, and a boy age 16.

Plan is to stop first at Disneyland/DCA area then after a few days Uber over to a hotel close to Universal/Hollywood area. Note: We will NOT have cars so we'll be dependent on Uber and I'm already twisting DH's arm to go, so this likely will be a "one and done" so I'll really like to limit our time to things that we shouldn't miss out on doing.

Thoughts are:

Disneyland/DCA area from Saturday-Tuesday: Disneyland and DCA. Anything else around that area that's a MUST do/see other than DCA and DL?

Universal area from Tuesday-Saturday: Definitely Univeral for a day. Thinking we'll also want to book a Hollywood tour for the day that would include the Santa Monica Pier (unless this is really a waste and won't be missing much?), Griffith Observatory, the Hollywood sign, and the Chinese Theater. Not sure what else we can do/go see?

Thanks for any advice/tips!

As an FYI and you may want to check for yourself but I don't think taking Uber's will work for you unless you get 2 as it looks like you have 7 people. From everything I have seen the max is 6 and that does not include luggage. There are some (Suburban's and Escalades ) that can fit 7 passengers but it sounds like those could be few and far between and the driver can decline service for 7 people.

For your Hollywood Tour, IMO I would put Santa Monica Pier on the bottom of the list of things to see. If you can get to it great but if not I would not loose any sleep over it. I would see if there are any YouTube Go-Pro type video's of the pier and watch a couple and see if you think you would like it and plan form there.

Was just there a few days ago for a work trip, The Santa Monica Pier is a bit of a tourist trap...fun to stroll down there if you are in the neighborhood, but certainly does not warrant a trip just to see that IMO.

The boardwalk along Venice Beach is much more of the quintessential California Beach experience if that is what you are seeking but there are certainly more iconic LA destinations to see than SM Pier.

If you decide to do your August dates, just know that the Star Wars Celebration convention is being held at the Anaheim Convention Center from Aug. 27-30. You may want to start at Universal and end at Disneyland. I've heard hotels are already pretty expensive for that time period, and no one is really sure how it will affect park crowds.

Some threads with very good information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- SO much helpful information found here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a treasure trove of helpful threads for you!
From the above link:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it's not about on site or off site (both have their pros and cons) -- it's all about location, location, location! You want to be close walking distance to the gates (and this is totally possible!) -- what you invest to be close walking distance will save your sanity, wear and tear on your feet and legs, and give you major convenience as you can keep things at the hotel instead of lugging things with you all day, allow you to take breaks during the day because your hotel room is so close by, etc. -- look for the best deal you can find online with a no penalty cancellation policy, then book it! -- keep checking back to see if the rate goes down -- if it does, re-book and cancel the first reservation -- rates can go down closer to your dates
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- DLR doesn't have FP+, we have MP -- read through this very helpful superthread, then ask all your questions there -- you'll get great help! Almost all WDW vets love MP the first time they use it and prefer it strongly over FP+
Eating in the parks on a budget -- lot of good tips here! -- instead of a dining plan, lots of people use Disneyland gift cards to budget for meals at DLR -- that way you know exactly how much you have to spend and how much you're spending each day and how much you have left
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- ask all your airport and transportation questions here.
DAY SIX Podcasts of Things to Do Around Disneyland -- look through this thread to see what else there is to do when visiting DLR
Regarding your dates:
For end of August-Labor Day Weekend, most likely: around the third week of August, HM should go down for the installation of the Halloween overlay, the lower AP blockout should begin to lift (this has a big effect on crowds), and the parks should go back to the non-peak/low season schedule (which means shorter hours, less staffing, more refurbs/fewer ride vehicles running, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc.). Also, as a pp noted, Star Wars Celebration will be held in Anaheim at the end of August. By Labor Day Weekend, Space Mt. will go down sometime around then/right after that for the installation of the Halloween overlay (if it happens this year).
For early November: IASW should be down for the installation of the Holiday overlay, the parks will be getting ready for Holiday Time, some parts of the park might be blocked off for the taping of the Holiday Parade (there isn't a set date for this), nighttime entertainment might be on weekends only.
The Hollywood Sign, the Chinese Theatre, the Walk of Fame, the Dolby Theater (site of the Oscars Ceremony), etc. can all be seen from one location: the Hollywood & Highland shopping center. You can get bus tours there, too, like the Hop On/Hop Off tours and others. Have you looked into doing the WB Studio tour? That gets very good reviews on this board.

Let us know if you have any questions -- we're here to help! You're going to have a great trip! :)

Sounds like they've managed to ruin the week leading up to Labour Day. Bummer! Went at that time around 11 years ago and it was fantastic. Such light crowds.

Thank you all - California is just so overwhelming I've been tempted more than once to just say eh forget it and go back to WDW but even the kid is tiring of it. As for our group of 7, we're 2 families traveling together, so I'm sure they wont mind taking separate Ubers, it'll just be a matter of making sure we let the 2 teenager girls (BFFs) ride together as they're attached at the hip. LOL.

Sounds like they've managed to ruin the week leading up to Labour Day. Bummer! Went at that time around 11 years ago and it was fantastic. Such light crowds.
11 Years ago "Light Crowds" in the park were pretty common during certain times of the year.

Santa Monica Pier is nice for like an hour. Griffith Observatory is a must (and you can see the Hollywood sign from there). Also look at WB tour. It was fun when we went a few years ago. A lyft/Uber from Disneyland to Universal costs like $75 - $100. I would look at possibly renting a car for a day or two. If your looking at tours then you can skip those costly tours and do most of the stuff on your own. Between the tours and the Uber you would pay about the same renting a car. We enjoyed having a car instead of doing those tours because sometimes you get stuck somewhere lot longer than you may want. Plus you can then wing it or even add on more stuff to do.

Also, if you can do Universal for 2 days y’all may enjoy it more. Not a lot to do there but lines can get crazy (like 1-2 hours each). We found tickets last year for buy 1 day get the 2nd day free so it didn’t cost any extra. Made it to where we could really enjoy some areas and didn’t have to choose which rides were the most important to do.

We're looking at arriving mid-afternoon on a Friday or Saturday and departing mid-morning either on a Saturday or Sunday (either end of August/into Labor Day Weekend or early November for the teachers convention break). Traveling will be 4 adults, 2 girls age 13, and a boy age 16.

Plan is to stop first at Disneyland/DCA area then after a few days Uber over to a hotel close to Universal/Hollywood area. Note: We will NOT have cars so we'll be dependent on Uber and I'm already twisting DH's arm to go, so this likely will be a "one and done" so I'll really like to limit our time to things that we shouldn't miss out on doing.

Thoughts are:

Disneyland/DCA area from Saturday-Tuesday: Disneyland and DCA. Anything else around that area that's a MUST do/see other than DCA and DL?

Universal area from Tuesday-Saturday: Definitely Univeral for a day. Thinking we'll also want to book a Hollywood tour for the day that would include the Santa Monica Pier (unless this is really a waste and won't be missing much?), Griffith Observatory, the Hollywood sign, and the Chinese Theater. Not sure what else we can do/go see?

Thanks for any advice/tips!

• Maybe a baseball game at Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium.
  • The Original Pantry restaurant at 9th and Figueroa is open 24/7, as is Original Tommy's (counter service chili-burgers) at Beverly and Rampart.
  • The Metro subway line can take you in a lot of different directions, including down to Long Beach.
  • Walt's Carolwood Barn is open generally open every 3rd Sunday of the month from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM, and is located just east of Universal Studios.

Last edited:
For a family for whom "California is just so overwhelming I've been tempted more than once to just say eh forget it and go back to WDW", I can't see why you're not just spending a week at DLR. Given your signature block, you like to stay club level at Disney hotels. Do the same thing at the Grand Californian. You can easily spend 4-5 days enjoying the parks, still giving you a couple of days to chill at the hotel pool, enjoy Downtown Disney, etc.

For a family for whom "California is just so overwhelming I've been tempted more than once to just say eh forget it and go back to WDW", I can't see why you're not just spending a week at DLR. Given your signature block, you like to stay club level at Disney hotels. Do the same thing at the Grand Californian. You can easily spend 4-5 days enjoying the parks, still giving you a couple of days to chill at the hotel pool, enjoy Downtown Disney, etc.
This would be totally doable, using DLR as your home base. Then you could do USH (which really can be a one day park -- much smaller than USO -- and a working studio first and foremost, so the theme park is not the main priority) and your other day trip separately from DLR. Using 2 separate Ubers would really make things easier -- just decide where to meet up. Do one day at USH, one day touring Hollywood and Santa Monica/Venice, and the rest DLR. Very doable -- lots of other families here have done the same kind of trip.

Because California is likely a "one and done" for us so while there, we would like to see as much as possible. And for us, the "bubble" isn't at DL and we can just as easy save quite a bit by staying in a non-Disney resort and have just as easy access to DL.

This would be totally doable, using DLR as your home base. Then you could do USH (which really can be a one day park -- much smaller than USO -- and a working studio first and foremost, so the theme park is not the main priority) and your other day trip separately from DLR. Using 2 separate Ubers would really make things easier -- just decide where to meet up. Do one day at USH, one day touring Hollywood and Santa Monica/Venice, and the rest DLR. Very doable -- lots of other families here have done the same kind of trip.

I'm sorry, what is USH and USO? And my impression of the Hollywood area, is to save the cost of ubering back and forth on multiple days, it would be much more convenient to just stay for several days in a DLR hotel, see what we want in that area, then change hotels to be in a more centralized Hollywood Hotel to do Universal Hollywood and the surrounding area.

Is the WB Studio Tour different than Universal Studios?

Yes. Warner Brothers will get you the Gilmore Girls set and the Friends set and it's walking so it's more intimate. Universal Studios is a theme park so their tour (unless you pony up the cash for the VIP tour) is on trams. You see the Back to the Future town square and some other neat things but I would say the WB tour is the better tour for sure.

Personally unless you love Harry Potter I don't think USH is worth the trip. Especially if you've already been to USO.

Santa Monica pier is pretty far from Hollywood and I think it's kind of gross. The Orange County beaches or the South Bay beaches are much nicer.

Yes. Warner Brothers will get you the Gilmore Girls set and the Friends set and it's walking so it's more intimate. Universal Studios is a theme park so their tour (unless you pony up the cash for the VIP tour) is on trams. You see the Back to the Future town square and some other neat things but I would say the WB tour is the better tour for sure.

Personally unless you love Harry Potter I don't think USH is worth the trip. Especially if you've already been to USO.

Santa Monica pier is pretty far from Hollywood and I think it's kind of gross. The Orange County beaches or the South Bay beaches are much nicer.

What is the difference between USO and USH? Other than Harry Potter at one (the kids and adults both dont have much interest in Harry Potter at all).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter