Tan and rested and alone (Almost!) – An August 2015 Solo TR - UPDATE 11/14 WRAP UP - TR COMPLETE

Chapter 21.jpg

After the ice cream interlude it was for a show. The fast past that I’d grabbed earlier was for the Beauty and the Beast live on stage spectacular. As I entered the park I turned right and made my way up towards the Tower of Terror and then turned off to see dancing cutlery instead. It was super hot and the theatre needed about a thousand more fans to try and cool the audience down. Metal bench seats are not fun in a Floridian summer. The show was ok – I understand that they can’t show all the parts from the movie but the story just wasn’t the same with everything cut out. Belle was a good singer and the person playing Gaston had the right level of swagger for the role but it’s a show that is a one and done for me.

Optimized-20150819_151006.jpg

On my way out of the show I grabbed another FP (that’s number 6 of the day if you’re keeping count). I’d done all the rides that I’d wanted to experience (and of course there were no FPs left for the good ones like Toy Story or Rock’N’Roller anyway). Instead I grabbed one for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! (their emphasis not mine). It was just starting to rain really lightly when I got there so thankfully it was inside. I grabbed a seat right on the aisle I could make a quick getaway after the show. After the audience participation section of the show (some people really do love being the centre of attention don’t they?) it was time for Indie to come on out. And he swung in on his rope. And that was it. The show’s “director” came out and cancelled the show as there was apparently lightning in the area and Indie can’t act when there is lightning.

Optimized-20150819_160433.jpg

So I didn’t get to see any stunts. But it turns out the director was probably doing the right thing because as soon as he said it the rain turned apocalyptic. Like Noah level rain. Within 2 minutes the rain was over ankle deep. Well I didn’t want to have to wait out the rain so I put on my poncho and waded out of the theatre to see what else I could do. I made it to the FP kiosk outside the Muppets and saw a massive queue. Thankfully they were only standing there to get out of the rain so I walked straight up to see what else I could get – there was one for the Frozen sing-a-long about an hour later so I grabbed that and headed off in search of something that would fit in well with the rain.

And that would be an undersea adventure where a little water doesn’t matter. There was a little wait until the next showing of the voyage of the little mermaid so I used my time in line to dry off my poncho. Eventually we made it inside and I grabbed a seat for the show. I actually had no idea what to expect here but I don’t think I expected the combination of live action singing and puppets. It was pretty enjoyable – I mean how can you not have a good time when there is Under the Sea involved?

Optimized-20150819_170536.jpg

On my way out I noticed that I’d been given an anytime FP for the Indiana Jones debacle. Of course this couldn’t be used on TSMM, ToT or RNRC so I headed for back towards my next favourite ride Star Tours. After another adventure (unfortunately with Jar Jar again!) I made my out and across to my next FP – the Frozen Sing-A-Long. This was actually much better than expected and it was all to do with two historians who are your hosts for the show. They were hilarious – I’d go back again just to see them not Anna & Elsa. It was also great seeing all the little girls so excited at seeing their favourite princesses – they’re not my kids obviously but it was adorable to see how much this was making their vacations!

Optimized-20150819_175140.jpg

I headed off to grab on last FP and saw that they still had some left for Fantasmic. I decided to grab one as I’d done pretty much everything else in the park and thought it might come in handy to have a guaranteed seat for the show. I still had some time before my dinner ADR (45 mins) so I decided to go see a couple of my favourite toys - Woody & Buzz. I got in line and waited. And waited. And waited. This was one of the slowest lines I was in all week. It took 40 minutes to get to the characters so by then I was stressing I would be late for dinner. Luckily Buzz and Woody were amazing characters to meet – I got fought over (Buzz won, Woody got upset and walked off) and got what I thought would be a nice photo (nope – blurry :worried:). I then hurried off to make my way towards my dinner reservation.

Optimized-DSCF0242.JPG

Optimized-DSCF0247.JPG

There was one place that I knew I had to eat at Hollywood Studios and that was 50s Prime Time Diner. I love 50s/60s theming and have a lot of original furniture and replicas at home. I often think I was born in the wrong decade and would have loved to be a teen/young adult in the 50s/60s. I checked in and this was the first time that my table wasn’t ready so I headed across to the Tune in Lounge to grab a drink while waiting. Eventually I was called to dinner where I proceeded to have a great meal (fried chicken and a pb+j milkshake :thumbsup2) and a really good experience. I’d definitely recommend it and would happily go back again.

Optimized-DSCF0250.JPG

Optimized-DSCF0251.JPG

After dinner I made my way towards Fantasmic as it was due to start in about 10 minutes. It was pretty full when I got there but thankfully one of the advantages of travelling by yourself is that you can squeeze into the single spots bigger parties leave between themselves so I ended up quite close to the front even if it was a little off to the side. Although it was dark by now you could tell it was still overcast and it felt like it was going to rain any minute. Fantasmic started and about half way through it started to drizzle. As soon as I saw Sorcerer Mickey come out I knew the show was almost over so I ducked out to try and beat the hordes to the buses. The show finished just as I got to the top of the stairs so it was a good decision. I didn’t love Fantasmic and it was probably my least favourite behind Illuminations and Wishes.

Optimized-DSCF0262.JPG

I made it back to the Pop bus stop and was second in line for the bus. It took about 10 minutes for a bus to show up and when it arrived the line behind me was more than enough to fill the bus twice over. 20 short minutes later we arrived back at Pop and I prepared for my last night at Disney.

Last edited:
After the ice cream interlude it was for a show.

It was an interlude?
Dang, I didn't even notice.

As I entered the park I turned right and made my way up towards the Tower of Terror and then turned off to see dancing cutlery instead.

Keep going! Keep going!.... too late!

It was super hot and the theatre needed about a thousand more fans to try and cool the audience down.

"Jeeves! I just read we need about 1,000 more fans in the BATB theatre! Get on it!"
"But sir, the theatre already holds about 1,000 people and they're all fans."
"Good! Glad that's taken care of!"

Metal bench seats are not fun in a Floridian summer.

If only you had brought some eggs to cook on them!

but it’s a show that is a one and done for me.

Last saw it 10 years ago.
Still have zero interest in seeing it again.

On my way out of the show I grabbed another FP (that’s number 6 of the day if you’re keeping count).

Not bad.
So including the anytime one, you got 9 for the day?

Instead I grabbed one for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!

Nice. I've been trying to see that show for years.
I last saw it in 1992 and haven't had another chance yet.

After the audience participation section of the show (some people really do love being the centre of attention don’t they?)

I know! What's with those people!
I would never do that....

:rolleyes1

And he swung in on his rope. And that was it. The show’s “director” came out and cancelled the show as there was apparently lightning in the area and Indie can’t act when there is lightning.

Crap! And here I'm waiting for a bunch of photos and an unbiased opinion of it.

Within 2 minutes the rain was over ankle deep.

Whoa.
(does not rhyme with Noah.)

There was a little wait until the next showing of the voyage of the little mermaid so I used my time in line to dry off my poncho.

I do that too!
I get in line with everyone else then take it off and shake it vigorously.
People seem to enjoy being cooled off with the water droplets. I often see people waving their fists at me and leaving to make room for others to enjoy it.

optimized-20150819_170536-jpg.130354

What the! She's wearing a blouse? No seashells???

Disgusting.

On my way out I noticed that I’d been given an anytime FP for the Indiana Jones debacle. Of course this couldn’t be used on TSMM, ToT or RNRC

So... sort of nice.
"So sorry for your inconvenience. As a show of good faith, we're giving you this FP that you can't use for anything you'd actually like to do."

I made my out and across to my next FP – the Frozen Sing-A-Long. This was actually much better than expected and it was all to do with two historians who are your hosts for the show. They were hilarious – I’d go back again just to see them not Anna & Elsa.

Interesting. Hadn't heard that before.
It's always about the cast from the movie.
Might have to see this one, then.

I headed off to grab on last FP and saw that they still had some left for Fantasmic.

So did it make a difference for you?
In my last chapter, it looked like it had no effect at all.

Luckily Buzz and Woody were amazing characters to meet – I got fought over (Buzz won, Woody got upset and walked off)

:laughing:

I love 50s/60s theming and have a lot of original furniture and replicas at home. I often think I was born in the wrong decade and would have loved to be a teen/young adult in the 50s/60s.

But then you'd be in your 60s or 70s now.

Eventually I was called to dinner where I proceeded to have a great meal (fried chicken and a pb+j milkshake :thumbsup2)

Perfect.

I’d definitely recommend it and would happily go back again.

::yes::

I didn’t love Fantasmic and it was probably my least favourite behind Illuminations and Wishes.

Huh. I saw it with the family in '05 and had the same reaction.
When I took Kay back in August (she didn't remember it) I enjoyed it more.
I think it gets so built up and can't match its expectations.
But going in not expecting much made it seem more enjoyable.

Of course this couldn’t be used on TSMM, ToT or RNRC so I headed for back towards my next favourite ride Star Tours. After another adventure (unfortunately with Jar Jar again!)
So, either I've been fortunate enough to never ride Star Tours with Jar Jar OR it was so horrible I've completely blocked it from memory. :rotfl2:

I love 50s/60s theming and have a lot of original furniture and replicas at home. I often think I was born in the wrong decade and would have loved to be a teen/young adult in the 50s/60s.

The next time you go to Universal, you should check out staying at Cabana Bay. I stayed there last month, and it was a really fun "value" resort. I felt like I was staying in an episode of Mad Men because of the 50's theme (I know Mad Men is 60's, but you get the idea :))

Hopefully the rain eventually stopped!

"Jeeves! I just read we need about 1,000 more fans in the BATB theatre! Get on it!"
"But sir, the theatre already holds about 1,000 people and they're all fans."
"Good! Glad that's taken care of!"

:laughing:

Last saw it 10 years ago.
Still have zero interest in seeing it again.

Definitely the right attitude to have. I'm wondering if it will become super popular again though when the live action remake is released next year?

Not bad.
So including the anytime one, you got 9 for the day?

Correct. One less than the 10 I'd gotten the day before but still pretty good I thought.

Crap! And here I'm waiting for a bunch of photos and an unbiased opinion of it.

If it's still there next year when I'm there I promise to report back with a super honest unbiased opinion for you!

I do that too!
I get in line with everyone else then take it off and shake it vigorously.
People seem to enjoy being cooled off with the water droplets. I often see people waving their fists at me and leaving to make room for others to enjoy it.

:rotfl:. Now why didn't I think of that? I let the poor water pool on the ground by hanging the poncho over the lane rope :worried:

What the! She's wearing a blouse? No seashells???

Disgusting.

And here I was thinking that she could do no wrong in your eyes...

Interesting. Hadn't heard that before.
It's always about the cast from the movie.
Might have to see this one, then.

The cast from the movie were blah but these two were definitely worth the price of admission ;)

So did it make a difference for you?
In my last chapter, it looked like it had no effect at all.

It did in the fact that I could take my time at dinner and not have to line up for ages before the show just to get a seat.

But then you'd be in your 60s or 70s now.

True - but I reckon I'd be a pretty awesome septuagenarian so I'm not worried!

Huh. I saw it with the family in '05 and had the same reaction.
When I took Kay back in August (she didn't remember it) I enjoyed it more.
I think it gets so built up and can't match its expectations.
But going in not expecting much made it seem more enjoyable.

Interesting idea. I'll test it out next time and see if whether having seen it once and been disappointed makes it more enjoyable the next time round seeing it with no expectations.

So, either I've been fortunate enough to never ride Star Tours with Jar Jar OR it was so horrible I've completely blocked it from memory. :rotfl2:

He's actually not that big a part (like 10 seconds worth) but it was more than enough :rotfl:

The next time you go to Universal, you should check out staying at Cabana Bay. I stayed there last month, and it was a really fun "value" resort. I felt like I was staying in an episode of Mad Men because of the 50's theme (I know Mad Men is 60's, but you get the idea :))

Hopefully the rain eventually stopped!

I've been looking at Cabana Bay for my trip next year but have ended up going for Royal Pacific just because I've heard Cabana Bay is a lot noisier! But I'm tempted to at least go for a visit to check out the theming.

Great trip report - thanks for sharing!

BTW, you have the best avatar, ever!

Thanks for following along - and for the compliment. :thumbsup2

Day 6 Wrap Up
Parks visited: 1
FPs used: 9
Favourite Ride: Rock’n’Roller Coaster
Favourite Show: Frozen Sing-a-long
Characters met: 4
Steps taken: 23,031
Miles/Kilometres walked: 17.72km
Calories burned: 2,374
Calories consumed: 2,327

Chapter 22.jpg

I woke up bright and early for my last day in the Disney bubble. I was going to spend the morning at Magic Kingdom before being picked up by the DME at 2pm. Thankfully MK had EMH that morning so I was able to wrangle an extra hour in the parks. It also meant I had to get up extra early to check out and head on over to the park. I was up at 6:45 and checked out and onto my flight by 7:15 (the airline check in service was really handy although DME drops you off so early at the airport that it is not really necessary). I was on a bus to MK just after 7:30 and was at the gates right on opening at 8am.

Optimized-20150820_074738.jpg

I had no desire to ride 7DMT again or two meet the frosty princess so I went in a slightly different direction to the rest of the crowds and made my way into Tomorrowland. First up was Buzz to see if I could beat my score from earlier in the week. I managed to double my score but it still wasn’t good enough :sad2:.

Optimized-20150820_082401.jpg

After Buzz I decided to use EMH really wisely by riding a super popular ride. That’s right – I went on the People Mover. I pushed my way through the crowds (alright, the elderly couple in front of me) and boarded the people mover. It’s interesting going through all the attractions but think I would have enjoyed it more if I’d been walking all day and my feet needed the rest.

Optimized-20150820_082701.jpg

I then left Tomorrowland and made my way towards the hub with the intention of going into Frontierland. There was a CM blocking my way with some rope. Of course the one thing I missed during my planning was the fact that only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open during EMH –oops! :blush: So I made my way back in Fantasyland to ride a classic – the tea cups! I definitely prefer riding this solo as I can control the spinning and the potential for motion sickness ::yes::

Optimized-20150820_084829.jpg

After tea cups I made my way back towards Frontierland so that I could be one of the first in line for the 9am open. And it turns out that hundreds of my friends had the same idea. This was the line for Splash at 9am.

Optimized-20150820_090005.jpg

Optimized-20150820_090708.jpg

And before opening it was already a 15 minute stand-by time. There was an equally long line next door for BTMRR as well. Thankfully by the time they opened it up it was really only a 5 or so minute wait once you walked your way though the queue. I managed to get only a teensy bit wet this time and it was already warm enough to dry off really quickly.

I made my way past the long queue at BTMRR as I had a FP for it. I was able to ride my favourite one more time. I really wanted to ride it again but it was a 40 minute stand by at 9:30 L. So I only ended up riding this three times during the trip – next time it’s going to be at least five.

Optimized-DSCF0268.JPG

Optimized-DSCF0266.JPG

Optimized-DSCF0267.JPG

Next - Eat my dust Emperor...

Last edited:
I woke up bright and early for my last day in the Disney bubble.

Lucky!!! I can never manage the bright part, just the early.

Thankfully MK had EMH that morning so I was able to wrangle an extra hour in the parks.

I like the way you're squeezing every second out of this trip.
Reminds me of... well... me.

I managed to double my score but it still wasn’t good enough :sad2:.

Don't you be shaking your head at me, young lady!
I can assure you that you more than quadrupled my score.

I majorly suck at Buzz.

I pushed my way through the crowds (alright, the elderly couple in front of me)

You knocked down an elderly couple!?!?!? :eek:

It’s interesting going through all the attractions but think I would have enjoyed it more if I’d been walking all day and my feet needed the rest.

::yes::

While you're very pretty and I appreciate that picture, I would be remiss if I did not point out that it is traditional to take a photo of one's feet on WEDway Peoplemover.

There was a CM blocking my way with some rope. Of course the one thing I missed during my planning was the fact that only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland open during EMH –oops! :blush:

:laughing: I did the exact same thing on my solo trip!

So I made my way back in Fantasyland to ride a classic – the tea cups!

Erk! See my latest post in my TR for explanation.

I definitely prefer riding this solo as I can control the spinning and the potential for motion sickness ::yes::

See previous comment.

This was the line for Splash at 9am.

optimized-20150820_090005-jpg.131044

Holy crap!

Thankfully by the time they opened it up it was really only a 5 or so minute wait once you walked your way though the queue.

Not too bad then.
Was that line maybe for both BTMRR and Splash?

I really wanted to ride it again but it was a 40 minute stand by at 9:30

Wow. That escalated quickly!

Bonus post for @pkondz

As promised - here is a Halloween inspired video of the souvenir from Memento Mori

Dang it!
I actually saw this post about 13 hours ago, but I'm at work still (another 3.5 hours to go) and can't see it until I'm home.

I like the way you're squeezing every second out of this trip.
Reminds me of... well... me.

Well at the time it was going to be a once in a lifetime trip :rolleyes1

Don't you be shaking your head at me, young lady!
I can assure you that you more than quadrupled my score.

I majorly suck at Buzz.

You might want to look away when I ride it again later that day.....

You knocked down an elderly couple!?!?!? :eek:

You say knocked down I say repositioned.

While you're very pretty and I appreciate that picture, I would be remiss if I did not point out that it is traditional to take a photo of one's feet on WEDway Peoplemover.

I did not know that. I will make sure I've had a pedicure before I ride it again.

Erk! See my latest post in my TR for explanation.

But you enjoyed yourself in the end!

Not too bad then.
Was that line maybe for both BTMRR and Splash?

Nope - there was a completely separate line for BTMRR than ran along the river bank.

Dang it!
I actually saw this post about 13 hours ago, but I'm at work still (another 3.5 hours to go) and can't see it until I'm home.

I'll forgive you - I too used to work at a location that blocked youtube videos so I understand the struggle.

Well at the time it was going to be a once in a lifetime trip :rolleyes1

That's what everyone says!

You might want to look away when I ride it again later that day.....

Stop reading this TR.
Check.

You say knocked down I say repositioned.

You say repositioned, I say requisitioned. Tomato, tomahto.

I did not know that. I will make sure I've had a pedicure before I ride it again.

No shots of talons?

But you enjoyed yourself in the end!

Yep. But I wouldn't willingly risk it.

Nope - there was a completely separate line for BTMRR than ran along the river bank.

No way!
Still, I guess it moved fast.

I'll forgive you - I too used to work at a location that blocked youtube videos so I understand the struggle.

Still haven't seen it.
Saw it in the morning at work. Worked 16 hours. Got home around midnight. Crashed. Got up at 7 to take Kay to early Band practice. Went shopping, helped my Mom with her computer (again), cooked supper, went to work until 11pm. Came home around midnight. Crashed. Up at 5am. Back at work now.
Maybe... Maybe! I'll see it tonight... but I know I'm really busy tonight. Maybe while supper's cooking in the oven.

Maybe.

That's what everyone says!

Well count me amongst everyone as I've well and truly drunk the Floridian Kool-Aid

Stop reading this TR.
Check.

Oops - maybe I shouldn't have given you an out because then I'll have no readers :sad1:

No shots of talons?

Princesses don't have talons....

Still haven't seen it.
Saw it in the morning at work. Worked 16 hours. Got home around midnight. Crashed. Got up at 7 to take Kay to early Band practice. Went shopping, helped my Mom with her computer (again), cooked supper, went to work until 11pm. Came home around midnight. Crashed. Up at 5am. Back at work now.
Maybe... Maybe! I'll see it tonight... but I know I'm really busy tonight. Maybe while supper's cooking in the oven.

Maybe.

Man you sound even busier than I feel so I'll let it slide just this once. My only caveat is that it has to be watched before or on Halloween - you know, to ensure you get the whole creepy experience.

Princesses don't have talons....

Whoops! My bad.
I'm sure even without a pedi, your tootsies are perfect.

Better?

Man you sound even busier than I feel so I'll let it slide just this once. My only caveat is that it has to be watched before or on Halloween - you know, to ensure you get the whole creepy experience.

Maybe... Maybe! tonight in between my day shift and my night shift.

:sad2:

I saw it!!!

And you did that all for li'l ol' me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter