• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

taping over earrings for sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

justintime

Mouseketeer
My daughter had her ears pierced about 8 weeks ago. Her soccer games start this week. My original plan was to just take out the earrings for the hour of her game, and then put them back in. But a few people have told me that they can close up from only being out for an hour at 8 weeks. I have been told that our league does allow you to just tape over the earrings. I know this is probably a stupid question, but what kind of tape do you use for this. I don't have the slightest clue. And where do you buy this tape - at the grocery/drugstore, a sports store??

Sounds like it is a safety issue in case a ball grazes the ear. Ask the pediatrician's office. I'm sure they know. Maybe it is a cloth flexible band aide of some kind.

My mom always put band-aids or sports tape over our earrings, and they worked great. I would suggest having spare of whatever you use with you, just in case it falls off. We never had any problems with band-aids falling off, though.

Our kids had to remove all jewelry. Automatic disqualification ( swim team, football, track, wrestling) if jewelry was worn. We used dental floss to keep earring holes open. Of course we also used tampones for bloody noses.

My daughter had her ears pierced about 8 weeks ago. Her soccer games start this week. My original plan was to just take out the earrings for the hour of her game, and then put them back in. But a few people have told me that they can close up from only being out for an hour at 8 weeks. I have been told that our league does allow you to just tape over the earrings. I know this is probably a stupid question, but what kind of tape do you use for this. I don't have the slightest clue. And where do you buy this tape - at the grocery/drugstore, a sports store??

Honestly, I would never tape over an earring. The tape can still be punctured by the earring and the risk of something happening is too high. The earring can also be ripped out and that would be quite painful for the child. Just not worth it.

The ears don't close within an hour and you can use ice to numb the area and slide the earring back in.

I know you said your league allows this but I would certainly check with the league's insurance provider as some will not pay out for medical costs if the child has earrings in.

She should be fine. Just bring everything you need to clean her ears.

Dummy me had my daughter's ears pierced before soccer was out. Totally wasn't thinking. Noone said anything at practice--but at the game, the jerk of an assistant coach had a parent (not me--we were getting another child from another field as we had done every single weak) remove her studs. One was stuck, so they taped over that one, but removed the other one. Dirty hands, no sanitize and 3 day old pierced ears! I was LIVID! I was livid that they couldn't wait 5 minutes and I was livid that they did not give her a choice to be benched or take them out and I was livid that they took no measures to be sanitary when my child gets ear infections easily. (sidebar--she is allergic to metals except 14K gold and higher and sterling silver--so the notion of someone not washing her hands or using antiseptic upset her greatly as we were trying this road again!)

Anyway--I showed up to a crying child and panicked because we simply could not get her earring back in. We went home, cleaned up everything and were successful with a little pinching to get it back in.

She decided she would never play soccer again because they did not ask her permission--they just took the earrings out. Yes, I got their side of the story.

All that said--at 8 weeks, she should be fine for one hour. Just be sure to put the studs back in immediately after cleansing her ears. Supposedly our league doesn't let kids play with tape--but funny when one earring got stuck, it was suddenly okay.:confused3 My daughter's ear did not close up.

I would not count on the league allowing the tape.

Our league and many others do not allow tape. It is a safety consideration for your daughter -- if the stud should come out of the tape and get caught in something during play, it could injure her ear. I have also heard the dental floss suggestion - just be sure there are no dangling ends.

They say your league allows this, but honestly, it's generally the refs call. There could be a ref for your league that allows it, but be prepared for another ref to ask that the earrings be taken out.

My daughter wants her ears double pierced, but we have to wait until next summer to do it, because we simply do not have time during they year. No ref in my daughter's league will allow taped ears.

She should be fine. Just bring everything you need to clean her ears.

Dummy me had my daughter's ears pierced before soccer was out. Totally wasn't thinking. Noone said anything at practice--but at the game, the jerk of an assistant coach had a parent (not me--we were getting another child from another field as we had done every single weak) remove her studs. One was stuck, so they taped over that one, but removed the other one. Dirty hands, no sanitize and 3 day old pierced ears! I was LIVID! I was livid that they couldn't wait 5 minutes and I was livid that they did not give her a choice to be benched or take them out and I was livid that they took no measures to be sanitary when my child gets ear infections easily. (sidebar--she is allergic to metals except 14K gold and higher and sterling silver--so the notion of someone not washing her hands or using antiseptic upset her greatly as we were trying this road again!)

Anyway--I showed up to a crying child and panicked because we simply could not get her earring back in. We went home, cleaned up everything and were successful with a little pinching to get it back in.

She decided she would never play soccer again because they did not ask her permission--they just took the earrings out. Yes, I got their side of the story.

All that said--at 8 weeks, she should be fine for one hour. Just be sure to put the studs back in immediately after cleansing her ears. Supposedly our league doesn't let kids play with tape--but funny when one earring got stuck, it was suddenly okay.:confused3 My daughter's ear did not close up.

I would not count on the league allowing the tape.

wow, that is just wrong and to have to put an earring back in when it is still fresh- * shudder * poor baby. I feel for your DD. They should not have took it out. I can see them doing it because they were mad about having to do it instead of asking you first.

At my DD dance recital they are not allowed to wear earrings during the show. There are always kids that can't take them out because of new piercings, so they just put flexible fabric bandaids over the earlobes. I think you could do the same thing for her soccer game.

My oldest daughter just taped over her earrings with band aids when she got her ears pierced when she played rec. They were not very strict.

When she pierced her ears for the second time she was playing competitively and had to remove them before each game. She would remove her earrings before each game and when the game was over we would use a cotton swab of alcohol followed by putting an antibiotic cream on the stud part of the earring and put the earrings back into her ears.

Good luck finding out what works for your daughter. :goodvibes

At my DD dance recital they are not allowed to wear earrings during the show. There are always kids that can't take them out because of new piercings, so they just put flexible fabric bandaids over the earlobes. I think you could do the same thing for her soccer game.

I doubt if a dance recital has the same chance of getting hit in the head with a ball. A direct hit with a ball the tape is probably not going to help the puncture wound to the neck. It is a safety issue they should be removed. Our league will not allow taping.

Denise in MI

My daughter had to take hers out at 6 weeks and had no problem putting them back in after the game.

Not sure I would risk the tape.

Why bother with taping? My DD was a 4-sport athlete in high school and she just removed her earrings during practices and games. Really, nothing to it;)

My dd9 plays club soccer and the ref checks them all over for jewelry before every game. Earrings have to come out or the player is DQ'd.

In fact, we had her hair wrapped at Disney last year and there were TWO small metal beads at the end of the wrap (which was pulled back into her ponytail). She came across the field crying during ref-check because the ref told her to take the beads out. Luckily, I was able to untie the knot at the bottom pretty quickly and slide them out. I didn't even think about those beads since it was back in the ponytail.

That being said...we were able to tape her ears during rec league level soft ball. We just covered them with band-aids just before the game.

DD was a club and HS swimmer. Wears a medi alert bracelet. Rule is to tape it to wrist to the point where it doesn't move and isn't exposed.

Now how a EMT would know there was a medi alert under athletic tape unless they are clairvoyant.

DD was a club and HS swimmer. Wears a medi alert bracelet. Rule is to tape it to wrist to the point where it doesn't move and isn't exposed.

Now how a EMT would know there was a medi alert under athletic tape unless they are clairvoyant.

Write "Medi alert bracelet under tape" in permanent marker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter