Tastings. What Did You Like/Dislike?

When is the Premium Whiskey offered? After several cruises I still have yet to see it.
Also, I don't see any mention of the bourbon tasting. Has anyone ever attended?

When is the Premium Whiskey offered? After several cruises I still have yet to see it.

I have and its good. I seldom drink bourbon so I'm a n00b. as such, when I went to it at 10.00 PM I was completely wasted after it was done. I remember it took me several hours to sober up enough to be able to sleep. Still, I enjoyed it bc it was new for me.
If you do it, try for an earlier time of the day (if they have it) bc they give you 5-6 glasses and if you don't go easy on them you'll end up in bad shape.

My husband, myself and a couple we were traveling with did the Bourbon Tasting on board the Dream this past March. Since my husband is the real bourbon guy I asked him to write up a response to your inquire. Here are his thoughts:

The bourbon tasting on the Disney dream was just alright. I was hoping to taste several bourbons that I haven’t had before, but I found that the selection was just a wide range of middle of the road brands that are extremely common everywhere in America. Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleitt Rye….not what you would call exotic bourbons. We were also able to get a taste of Larceny as a 5th, but I can get that anywhere as well. So, if you have never really had bourbon, these are nice, but not really what I was looking for. They had a nice setup in the Meridian bar, where they set out all the really good stuff they stock at the bar (here’s looking at you, Pappy), and while I really wasn’t expecting to get rare tastings for just 25 bucks, having those rare bottles set out really made me realize how middle of the road the tasting options were. The bartender gave some good history, but I feel he thought he knew a lot more about the subject than he actually did. For instance, I asked him about differences in fermentation between brands, and he answered that there was no fermentation, just distillation, that this was whiskey and not beer or wine. Alright then…

So anyway, the bourbon tasting was alright. I did the whiskey tasting on the same cruise, and it was the same bartender, telling the same stories, and I even had some of the same tastings between the two. If you are new to bourbon, by all means you will get to experience something new. If you have been interested in bourbon to any degree, you will probably just have some of the very same bottles that are in your home bar.

My husband, myself and a couple we were traveling with did the Bourbon Tasting on board the Dream this past March. Since my husband is the real bourbon guy I asked him to write up a response to your inquire. Here are his thoughts:

The bourbon tasting on the Disney dream was just alright. I was hoping to taste several bourbons that I haven’t had before, but I found that the selection was just a wide range of middle of the road brands that are extremely common everywhere in America. Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleitt Rye….not what you would call exotic bourbons. We were also able to get a taste of Larceny as a 5th, but I can get that anywhere as well. So, if you have never really had bourbon, these are nice, but not really what I was looking for. They had a nice setup in the Meridian bar, where they set out all the really good stuff they stock at the bar (here’s looking at you, Pappy), and while I really wasn’t expecting to get rare tastings for just 25 bucks, having those rare bottles set out really made me realize how middle of the road the tasting options were. The bartender gave some good history, but I feel he thought he knew a lot more about the subject than he actually did. For instance, I asked him about differences in fermentation between brands, and he answered that there was no fermentation, just distillation, that this was whiskey and not beer or wine. Alright then…

So anyway, the bourbon tasting was alright. I did the whiskey tasting on the same cruise, and it was the same bartender, telling the same stories, and I even had some of the same tastings between the two. If you are new to bourbon, by all means you will get to experience something new. If you have been interested in bourbon to any degree, you will probably just have some of the very same bottles that are in your home bar.

View attachment 419015View attachment 419016

Please tell your husband thanks. Looks like I'll pass on this one if it's offered. I have some of the bottles he tasted in my collection here at home

Prices are way more expensive though now. I honestly don’t think some of them are worth it anymore because I usually don’t like one or two of the drinks we taste and at that price I could get 4 full size cocktails that I know I would like and make my own tasting fun.

Prices are way more expensive though now. I honestly don’t think some of them are worth it anymore because I usually don’t like one or two of the drinks we taste and at that price I could get 4 full size cocktails that I know I would like and make my own tasting fun.
I completely agree. I felt $25 was a value. $45-65 is not worth it to me as I’m not a big drinker and as you said generally don’t like them all. I used it as an opportunity to find my drink for the sailing.

I think DCL was hoping that by increasing the cost there would be less demand and reduce to guest services requests on board for those who couldn’t book in advance. Not sure if they’re still selling out with the increase but I’m sure it has deterred some.

We were on the Fantasy in March and attended 2 tastings (mixology and martini) while they were still at the lower cost. The classes were full and rushed. I felt like our previous experiences were longer and we were able to linger in the area longer with the other guests and bartenders. The classes were back to back so we had to leave immediately to set up for the next class.

I completely agree. I felt $25 was a value. $45-65 is not worth it to me as I’m not a big drinker and as you said generally don’t like them all. I used it as an opportunity to find my drink for the sailing.

I think DCL was hoping that by increasing the cost there would be less demand and reduce to guest services requests on board for those who couldn’t book in advance. Not sure if they’re still selling out with the increase but I’m sure it has deterred some.

We were on the Fantasy in March and attended 2 tastings (mixology and martini) while they were still at the lower cost. The classes were full and rushed. I felt like our previous experiences were longer and we were able to linger in the area longer with the other guests and bartenders. The classes were back to back so we had to leave immediately to set up for the next class.
They are still selling out at least on the Wish. I think a lot of tastings sell out simply because there are not a lot of activities you can book in advance and people like to feel they have some plans in place ahead of time, even when you could go sit at the bar and ask the the bartender to make you a few drinks off menu based on his favorites. It’s just like how the royal gathering sells out but then a lot of times you can meet the same princesses other times with little or no wait. In other words, I think a lot of people book tastings just because they can.

I enjoyed reading through this thread!

Please, if people don’t mind, keep adding their experiences with recent tasting! Especially on the Magic, since were booked on it for February 🙂

Or would it be better to start a new thread

This has basically summed up my thoughts: at $25 then likely worth it. At $40+ not worth it anymore for me. I could buy 3 drinks for $40 that I know I’ll enjoy.

We go to experience the different bars, the relatively less expensive drinks, and to learn from the presenter. How well the presenters engage the participants has a lot to do with our enjoyment. All of these have been on our last two sailings on the Dream. Loved the wine tasting and champagne tasting in Pink. Each presenter shared just enough to be interesting and informative, and each had a let’s have fun attitude. The presenter for the mixology in Skyline was difficult to understand, but friendly and patient. Plus this bar is beautiful. We went to the cognac and whiskey tasting on the same cruise, with the same presenter. Both were held in the small reception room on the top deck with the radio room, usually reserved for weddings. The gorgeous view was the only thing we enjoyed. The presenter went on and on and on giving so much information I felt like I was back in a college lecture. I’m sure a different presenter could have been more engaging and interesting.Now that the price isn’t a drawing factor we will just go to happy hour in each bar. No more classes, I graduated!

I’ve done tastings since the early days. Really enjoyed the gin tasting on Wish. No other ships offer it.
I heard about that and tried to book it for my 3 night Wish on 12/30 but was told it was not being offered. :sad:

I think this is a key part of it! When I go into my plans, I don't like seeing a "no plan" day.
I agree. I already have enough stress trying to plan a WDW vacation with all the crazy planning of daily activities. It''s kind of nice to just book a few activities or dining and then just relax and enjoy the cruise without all the chaos that comes with a WDW vacation.

Between our last 2 cruises we've done tequila/margarita, rum, and mojito/caipirinha. They were all good but we aren't planning on doing any more. Rum was the best of the three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter