TEA/AECOM 2018 Theme Park Attendance Numbers

Just curious. I had a quick trip to Universal Florida. Bought two day pass with two free days (3-park hopper). First day at U. 2nd at VB with IofA at night. 3rd day VB with U at night. 4th day IofA/U. So how are my park visits counted?
I've heard that for both Disney and Universal that it's first park of the day. I'm curious to see if that's right.

Compiled some things...

Would you mind attaching the data as a text file or excel (or something)? Would save me some trouble typing it. If not, that’s fine. I’ll just hate your face and put voodoo hexes on you. :)

Hong Kong looks rather bleak but the rest is amazing. I'm amazed that so many people have so much money.

Shanghai definitely had an impact to Hong Kong and they are going through major construction/expansion now ... it will be interesting to see how it does once all that is complete

That is the only international park I have been to and I really liked it so I hope it succeeds

The upward chart mirrors the economy in the U.S. as well.

There has not been a major economic downturn in the past decade.

Also, Florida is one of the fastest-growing states, further increasing potential visitors.

I wonder, has anyone ever knocked Disney off their throne? I'm shocked that DHS has a rise in attendance during all of this construction. I personally haven't gone there in years just because it's a mess with hardly anything to do. I think the Florida Disney parks rank so high whether they deserve to or not because of the park hopper tickets. I mean you pay a fortune for a week, you might as well go see all of the parks. I remember when my cousin was little, my Aunt and Uncle would spend a week at WDW and do all 5 days at MK! They had never even been to any of the other parks because "Gennifer likes the Magic Kingdom and doesn't want to go anywhere else". Seriously.>:(

Where are all the doom and gloomers about Disney's Themeparks. It was only a couple of years ago everyone was saying that Universal would continue to out grow Disney and have at least on park or maybe both of their Orlando parks ahead on some of Disney's. Well, that is not going to happen. Instead of Disney's parks going down, they are kicking Universal's parks on both coasts. USH only increased 1% in 2018, pathetic considering all the additions they have made over the past few years.

Then, think about what is opening in a few days in California and a couple of months in Florida. Disney's attendance increased just under 7.3 million in 2018. What will it increase in 2019 with Galaxy Edge opening in 2 parks? Disneyland should gain 2 million or so. DHS will not gain as much since it will only be open 4 months this year but it will increase 1.5 million or so. DCA will also get a boost and do will the other gates in Orlando. WDW should increase from a total of 58.3 million to about 61 million in their 4 gates. With increases in 2020 and 2021 WDW will be attracting well over 65 million a year and 70 million is very possible in 2021.

Just to double check, these are total number of park entries? So if I hop, do I get counted 2+ times?

I think the Florida Disney parks rank so high whether they deserve to or not because of the park hopper tickets. I mean you pay a fortune for a week, you might as well go see all of the parks.

Just a side note: Universal is every bit as expensive as Disney for almost everything. I know that wasn't your point but I just always see people criticize Disney for how expensive it is but rarely see it said about Universal.

Just a side note: Universal is every bit as expensive as Disney for almost everything. I know that wasn't your point but I just always see people criticize Disney for how expensive it is but rarely see it said about Universal.

Well, I would say their deluxe resorts are cheaper than WDW and come with unlimited express pass so that can be a big value. Also they seem to do a lot of like "buy 2 days get 2 days of tickets" which can reduce costs as well

But on the flip side if you want to do a one or two day ticket at Universal and then add in the cost of express pass that makes I much more expensive than a day at Disney - so sort of depends what you do

Both resorts are extremely expensive. That is one of the problems Universal will face once they open their real 3rd gate. As a 2 gate resorts they can get millions of guests visiting Orlando for a Disney vacation. However once they build their next gate it becomes a separate vacation. For many it will be Disney with 4 gates and 2 water parks vs Universal with 3 gates and Volcano Bay. It would be a fair battle if it weren't for all the new attractions WDW is building. By the time Universal opens it's new gate, WDW will have Galaxy Edge open, most if not all of Epcot's improvements completed and improvements to Magic Kingdom. I also expect something new in AK.

Disney is kicking it on all cylinders. Just thing about this, Disney's themepark was up 7.3 million while Universal's total themepark attendance was 50,068,000. In otherwords Disney's increase was 1/7 of Universal's total, that is 14.58%. With Disney's increases this year the two year increase will represent between 25% and 30% of Universal's total 2019 attendance. It is only a matter of time before Wall Street starts questioning Comcast's investment strategy because of all the money they need to invest in broadband to compete with 5G.

Oh it's expensive but it never feels AS expensive to me. I'm a big fan of Universal and while the ticket prices have gone up, I find you don't ever need the express pass because lines are nothing in comparison to Disney, and the cost of their restaurants is FAR lower. I'm thinking here of Finnegan's where we typically eat. I flat out get excited when I see the prices that look more like what you would find off property and it's good food too. Not to mention I've only EVER walked in and gotten a table right then and there. So Universal has it's perks for the pricetag where Disney isn't so much of a win win for me these days.

Both resorts are extremely expensive. That is one of the problems Universal will face once they open their real 3rd gate. As a 2 gate resorts they can get millions of guests visiting Orlando for a Disney vacation. However once they build their next gate it becomes a separate vacation. For many it will be Disney with 4 gates and 2 water parks vs Universal with 3 gates and Volcano Bay. It would be a fair battle if it weren't for all the new attractions WDW is building. By the time Universal opens it's new gate, WDW will have Galaxy Edge open, most if not all of Epcot's improvements completed and improvements to Magic Kingdom. I also expect something new in AK.

Disney is kicking it on all cylinders. Just thing about this, Disney's themepark was up 7.3 million while Universal's total themepark attendance was 50,068,000. In otherwords Disney's increase was 1/7 of Universal's total, that is 14.58%. With Disney's increases this year the two year increase will represent between 25% and 30% of Universal's total 2019 attendance. It is only a matter of time before Wall Street starts questioning Comcast's investment strategy because of all the money they need to invest in broadband to compete with 5G.

The one big area where I see Universal having a competitive advantage is in their on property resort prices - their Deluxes vs Disney (when Universal's include Express pass) and then their values once Summer Bay is fully open as that will include a lot of family suites that are priced cheaper than a value room at Disney - and as a family of 5, those suites are really attractive at those prices. So I could see us doing a trip where we stay on property at Universal and then maybe just do a hard ticket after hour event or two at Disney (especially as my kids get older).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter