Teacher handcuffed leaving school board meeting

I had read that the teacher was asked to leave because the board viewed her comment/question as being off topic.
-Topic: to approve the superintendents $38,000 raise
-Teacher: Commenting/questioning the lack of pay increase for teachers and staff
Seemed on topic to me.

Locally our school board is approving a $6 million bond to build a new high school in behind door sessions away from public comment. A large portion of the community doesn't want it as we don't have a need yet and share a high school with the next town over, one that's ranked top in the state. Lots of drama there!

I agree with PPs that we don't have enough info to know whether the cuffs were warranted. But, from the video, I do find that the teacher was quite mouthy with the officer. I can't imagine ever speaking to an officer like that, no matter the scenario. It clearly didn't work out well for her. But unless the woman came at him, which I guess she could have in the heat of the moment, I doubt the officer truly felt threatened by her.

Yea she was thrown out for that but it looks like she was just going to be able to walk out. But she must have said something or done something as she left the room which caused the officer to cuff her.
I’m not sure that anything happened outside b/c when she asked the office why she being arrested he said b/c I gave you multiple opportunities to leave the room & you refused. He didn’t say anything about anything else.

That's what I heard. If this is true, good for the teacher for standing up.

What is the reason that the board would do this and not give raises to other employees?
The video were saw here (b/c it’s somewhat local) was like 20 min. It starts from the board voting. Many ppl are grumbling & shouting out things. She raised her hand to speak & was allowed to stand & address the board. She wasn’t really disruptive. It seems random when the officer starts going up to her to ask her to leave. There was nothing before it to indicate that was warranted. Yesterday the whole video was also on you Tube. Also, if it were a legit arrest they wouldn’t have dropped the charges so quickly. This is small town Louisiana where this happened...so A LOT of corruption!

I’m not sure that anything happened outside b/c when she asked the office why she being arrested he said b/c I gave you multiple opportunities to leave the room & you refused. He didn’t say anything about anything else.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions. Before I throw the cop to the wolves, I need to see the footage (if it exists) as she's leaving the room and until the time the cop cuffed her.

I think the bigger issue is why was the officer asked to remove her? To me, that’s more of the outrage. In the video, it seems like he was asked to remove her b/c of the way he suddenly starts walking up to her & his demeanor.

This completely.
There was no reason to ask her to leave.
In some ways I think it was good she was handcuffed-I don’t think a teacher being kicked out of a meeting g for as legitimate and relevant questions that the board is unwilling to answer would have made the news otherwise.

This completely.
There was no reason to ask her to leave.
In some ways I think it was good she was handcuffed-I don’t think a teacher being kicked out of a meeting g for as legitimate and relevant questions that the board is unwilling to answer would have made the news otherwise.

As I suggested earlier, she is allowed to ask questions and make her point, but she's not allowed to hijack the meeting. So we need to know how long she spoke for and if there is a normal, allotted time for people to speak. This isn't the Senate where people can filibuster.

As I suggested earlier, she is allowed to ask questions and make her point, but she's not allowed to hijack the meeting. So we need to know how long she spoke for and if there is a normal, allotted time for people to speak. This isn't the Senate where people can filibuster.

But did the board answer her question? No.
Seems to me she would t have had to talk for “more than her allocated time” had the board addressed her concerns.

Maybe not to her satisfaction. Not liking their response doesn't mean she gets to speak until she gets what she wants. That's not how things work.

I don’t see them answering her questions in either of the videos.

He didn't seem to be using excessive violence

Hard to know, we don’t see what happened in the hallway before she is on the ground handcuffed which means we don’t know either what the teacher did or what the officer did that ended up with the teacher on the ground.

It wasn't a question and answer part of the meeting (at least from what I read), which is why she was being asked to leave (and, also, why they weren't going to answer her questions).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter