Team 'Ohana--No One Left Behind: The Continuing Adventures

Ohana! Am I voted most-absent-from-the-DIS teammate this year? I feel like I've mostly been on Facebook because I can update it from my phone...and most of us are friends over there. So it's like I've been gone, and yet, not completely, right?

It's great to catch up a little over here.

My marathon weekend plans include staying at AKV, surviving Goofy (though I'm doing my best to work with some lingering tendonitis and under-training since the Twin Cities Marathon), both WISH meets, Ice Cream with Ohana - Saturday afternoon...what time? What time was it last year when we started every message with a reminder? Maybe 3:30? And Jellyrolls on Sunday night, if I can still walk.

I'd be glad to share a beverage with you Debra - I consider a post-race Welsh Dragon to be a tradition at this point, as much as pre-race soft serve. Weird though it is. Although I'd rather do the Scotch sampler at R&C. :D

I am also leaving Monday afternoon, after the breakfast meet.

Belated holiday wishes, WISHers!

Up a bit late, trying to take care of some paperwork and thought I'd drop you a line.

Love the idea of a R&C drink, Corinna! I do highly recommend the scotch sampler. Or the Welsh Dragon. I'm not choosy. A perfect capper to a perfect Goofy, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

And you're not the only one of us spending time on FB. For me, though, it's become a less focused spot for social events and more other kinds of networking. So my 2012 resolution is to spend more time here, where I'm here for fun. (And where my various relatives won't think to track me down. :cool1:)

In the updates - I ran this weekend on the Jail Trail, the first time in a year. A good run. We've had excellent weather here for training - just wish we'd had time to commit to the marathon. :headache:

On the up side, DOOD & I will scream team at the DHS entrance on the full. Anyone not doing the marathon and who will be at WDW (I wish all of you were going to be there) are welcome to join us. We'll be handing out pretzels, twizzlers and encouragement to anyone who's not blinded by the lime-green shirts!

So....what was everyone's favorite part of their holidays? Get any cool gifts? popcorn::

So....what was everyone's favorite part of their holidays? Get any cool gifts? popcorn::

No gifts, cool or otherwise, over here. Tough to have much of a Christmas when you just moved to another country. We went to a friend's Tex-Mex Xmas party on the 24th and to dinner with some other friends to an Iraqi restaurant on the 25th. Not exactly holiday-ish, but very good food.

I'm getting more than a little sad and jealous of all you guys preparing for the half, full, and Goofy next weekend. Sure will miss being there with you. :sad1:

On the subject of races, though, here's one to consider when putting together your 2012 plans: Dublin Marathon (late October). A few of us over here are going to make the trip. How can you go wrong with a race in Ireland followed by lots of castles, pubs, and distilleries? :cool1:

Debra - On the subject of cool gifts, I got seasons 2 and 3 of The Muppet Show. That means I now have the full collection of the show and have to start watching some more muppets. I'll keep an eye out for you at the DHS area when I come by during the marathon (which, btw, better not be the first time I see you all weekend). Is there anyway I could convince you to have a burger ready to hand out for me? Probably, better not to have a burger anyway as I will almost be done at that point.

Corinna - it's hard for me to feel like you've really been absent here since I've been keeping tabs with you on Facebook, as you mentioned. 3:30 at B&C can work for me, so maybe we just need to set it at that! I'm also hoping to squeeze in the WISH meets in addition to my family time.

John - I wish I could do that trip! Though my next overseas trip will be the other way the visit some family (and maybe a tri or running race) in the land down under in 2013.

AFM - My Disney plans are fairly set. Arrive Wednesday, leave Monday and enjoy everything I can in between. If you see me across the parks or Boardwalk, come say hi. I am so looking forward to some great Dismey fun real soon.

John - I've been trying to talk friends into Dublin for some time now. I'll keep pushing! Any race that ends with a pub seems like a no-brainer for me.

Debra - By the time we finished opening gifts Christmas morning, there was no question that this was a running family. I got a cool new pair of running shoes, a headlamp, and gloves, and Bill got the Garmin 610, socks, and sunglasses. Both our stockings were full of gels. There may have been some non-running gifts, but I don't remember them!

I will be there in spirit in January, scream-teaming for all of you! And absolutely having ice creams and whatever drinks you all choose to share. Just keep me posted on FB so I know what I need to eat and drink at what time. We'll actually be having the first of several of Annie's 21st birthday celebrations that weekend (she actually turns 21 on Monday the 9th, so there will be official celebrations after she returns to school, but the party will begin the weekend before!) so I'll have many opportunities to celebrate.

Jackie

I went back and looked - seems like it was 3pm at B&C last year, for what that is worth. Is it just going to be me and Richard and a No Way Jose? I can think of worse things. Richard maybe can't, though! :laughing:

John - Dublin has been on my list all along. I don't know that I can get away myself to Europe in October next year, but I will darned well look at it! What's the point of having a passport if one can't at least consider international races, eh? We will definitely miss you in January.

Debra - the best part of my holiday was that CASH and I decided not to shop for gifts for each other. I did take it upon myself to do the shopping for a joint gift to and from each of us. It's a bottle of The Macallan, 12 year, Sherry Oak. VERY happy stuff.

Jackie - we'll miss you too - I'm glad to know you'll be there in spirit, though! And we'll make sure everyone knows when the ice cream meet is taking place.

Just jumping in real quick to say that 3:30 at B & C works for me!

We arrive Friday afternoon, and even though we're not running, we're still going to the expo to pick up our shirts (our $120 running shirts, as Rob calls them).

Not sure what our itinerary is going to be - we're sort of winging it for the first time ever! But I'm hoping to be able to cheer on some runners wherever we are.

We leave Mon afternoon.

I"m looking forward to meeting/seeing my cousins who will be there. :thumbsup2

I hope that everyone had a nice holiday. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year 2012, which feels very odd given what I'm posting next.

First, the sad news for those who have not heard. Robert (ultramickeymouse) and Linda, his wife, were killed over this weekend. cewait has started a thread called "Sad News" that covers the news and is where people are offering condolences.

The news has left me shaken, even knowing Robert casually. I considered him part of my extended WISH family, someone I could count on seeing every January - even if only on the course or at the finish line briefly. And their loss in the Disney running community reminds me of how much you all mean to me - even though I've been largely MIA this year.

So, keeping that feeling in mind, I'd like Ohana to keep moving forward as a group. You're my friends, my cousins, my family, even if I see you far less often than I'd like. :hug:

So I'm looking forward to Beaches & Cream on Saturday. Let's say 3:30, since that seems to work for people (I might show up a bit earlier....) I know not everyone will be there, and I will miss all who won't be able to attend. But we'll think of you and toast to the time when hopefully we can get together.

And to move my post on from the sad news (no disrespect intended)....

Christmas gifts....I'm in total envy of Richard's, Jackie's and Corinna's gifts. Like John, we didn't do much - the Jan. trip this year is our gift to ourselves and our sanity. Although DOOD did get me the Timbuk2 backpack I wanted for a carry-on; I needed a smarter backpack for my stupid back...

John: Dublin is on my dream races list - the October travel is increasingly the problem. We at an Indian restaurant on Christmas Day.

Richard: I'd love to get you a burger for that last bit of the course, but I wouldn't want to weigh you down too much. You've gotten to be such a speedy jack-rabbit! Would you accept a Twizzler instead? Apparently I'll be buy 18 pounds or so. :rotfl:

Jackie: Annie's 21 already? Wow! That's great that you're able to celebrate as a family. Shortly after I turned 21, I took my parents out to dinner and ordered wine (my oh-so-adult moment). My mother was worried that I was becoming an alcoholic and my father thought I was turning into an over-educated snob. :confused3:rotfl2:

Corinna: I think that the no-gift route can be incredibly peaceful. We truly enjoyed not traveling to family this year (we're doing it in January). And you know that I highly approve of such joint gifts. In very good taste...and tasty.

Julie: I love that you're picking up your limited edition, collectible running shirts. That's what I'd refer to them as. :banana: We're doing our most expensive half ever, after signing up for the full and transferring races. We're winging it, too, although we increasingly do that. Pure laziness, but rejuvenating.

AFM: I'm putting off making NY's goals until after WDW Weekend. But I will tell you my #1 fitness priority is cross-training. I feel off the XT bandwagon in a big way mid-way through 2011 and suffered for it. My #2 fitness priority is WISH...as it helps with all my health & fitness goals. (No pressure intended for my own personal scream team, the cousins!)

Do you have any NY's resolutions, health-related or otherwise, that you wish to share?

Debra - I completely agree with you on being totally shaken by the news about Robert and Linda. I was scanning FB while watching a movie and had to interrupt Bill's viewing to give him the news. He didn't quite get it, although he's certainly heard plenty of stories about Robert and knew who he was. It's amazing how close we feel to each other, even though we may only see each other in passing every few years!

And yes, some may feel that we're bad parents, but Annie already has a list of drinks she intends to order once the day arrives.

My New Year's goals, so far, include participating in the 100 Days Challenge this year. I couldn't last year since I was recuperating from surgery during the first few weeks, and I was very jealous of everyone posting their activity while I sat on the couch and hopped around on crutches! As part of that, I intend to work on the cross-training as well, particularly the upper body and core. The pups are excited, since they're hoping that walks for them will be part of the activity each day!

Day 1: Bill and I took the dogs to the park for an hour hike. Should have only been 30-45 minutes, but we ran into friends on the trail and chatted for a while! Then we encountered a washed-out bridge, and had to climb down and back up a small gorge not once, but twice, to get back on the trail.

Jackie

3:30 (or earlier) Saturday - Beaches and Cream!

When I read about the accident earlier today, I didn't understand at first...because I realized I did not even know Robert and Linda's last names until today. If they'd posted his DIS screen name, I'd have clued right in. It is a strange but wonderful sort of family we've formed here, but I will always remember Robert as an original Ohana and a fun guy to find on the course and wave to (more than one race, we passed each other several times).

I agree, Debra, it makes a person really stop and realize how quickly and unpredictably life can change and also how much those we travel with on this journey mean to us. Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind. Or forotten. I'm so glad for our Ohana and am looking forward to being together in person and in spirit soon.

Transitioning not as deftly as Debra...

Jackie - My 8 year old is planning the drinks he wants when he is 21, I think. I don't think anyone in this group is judging you harshly! Good luck with your 100 Day challenge! Keep us posted!

Debra - we also enjoyed the peace of not traveling over the holiday, although we did have that quick trip before. I love me some cross training. I want to do more of it in 2012, as well, and make this more of a triathlon year. Because...my stupid tendon. If I can get through this race, I need to do more biking, swimming and lifting...more about that below.

Julie - I'm in Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House. I like that the value rooms are close to the front of the building and that there is a food court. I don't like that I'm so far away from the action and the cousins, but...it will still be good.

AFM - I am still nursing this quad-tendon/glute issue. I think I will survive the half marathon if I put on enough KT Tape. I do not know how I am going to fare in the full...but it hardly matters now. I'll be out there having fun and beyond that, I am just going to get as much goodness out of the day as I can, hopefully without breaking myself.

I do still love Disney and racing and running, but it is no secret that other parts of my life have been taking over a lot lately. I do think that there is still a place in my life for training and our favorite races, but...I didn't realize this at the time, but CASH actually got me a theater company for our 15th Anniversary last spring.

Did I mention he is now the president of the theater company we have done a lot of work with? And I am the "First Lady"? At first, I was nervous about it because the previous First Lady (As we sometimes jokingly called her) was much more about...serving wine at donor receptions and schmoozing local business owners. That sort of thing. Which is wonderful and very, very NOT me. It is OK. I am finding my own way. And so far I think my role is much more about filling in the gaps in production and making connections with other artists in the larger Twin Cities community. At least...that's what I've BEEN doing.

This fall, I designed and built scenery, stage managed and...built more scenery on an emergency basis. I also went up to another theater in Minneapolis and painted for them and another and hung and focused lights. It's been busy but WONDERFUL and I've made some amazingly talented new friends in the process.

Next up, I am doing props for Almost, Maine. And...not very many people know this yet, but I will be actually performing a role on stage (and playing in a garage band!) in the April production of Chuck Mee's "True Love," An edgy, modern retelling of the Greek tragedy, Phaedra. The character in question is being re-written for me right now and I'm going to need to do some bodybuilding (not TOO much, but more than current) and get a drastic new haircut. Stay tuned...

One other thing. I know that most everyone knows from facebook that my grandfather passed away in December. Which was sad, but...I did go and say goodbye, he was comfortable and had had a long and interesting life, so that was all happy as well.

I was frustrated to learn that my father did not check with me and had gone and scheduled the funeral for...you guessed it...the one immovable, impossible weekend...next weekend. And I thought about it a lot and ultimately decided that given all the planning and...well...everything, my grandfather, who clawed his way back to health to live another 30 years after a massive heart attack when I was a child, who lost lots of weight and kept it off, who basically showed me it was possible to turn things around in the long therm - I think he would not have wanted me to miss the race weekend with the community that has kept me happily, healthfully and consistently working out since early 2007. That is 5 years of Disney Running happiness, and I need to be able to celebrate that with my Ohana.

I will go to the scattering of his ashes in the Black Hills this summer. I will visit his memorial in Iowa, I'm sure. I will not give up the one weekend a year that represents everything that helped me put myself back together when that is what I really needed to do and had no idea how to accomplish it.

For those who will be there this weekend, let's revel in the time we have together and celebrate this great life we're lucky to share. For those who aren't with us in person, we will think of you and be warmed by the thought that you are thinking of us as well.

3:30, Saturday. Beaches and Cream or Wherever you happen to be.

For those who will be there this weekend, let's revel in the time we have together and celebrate this great life we're lucky to share. For those who aren't with us in person, we will think of you and be warmed by the thought that you are thinking of us as well.

That's got to be the most thoughtful thing I've read on the WISH boards in a very long time, and also very appropriate given your story about your grandfather's funeral and the sudden loss of Robert & Linda. I'll be sure to stay up late to have ice cream and social hour with you on Saturday night. :hug:

That's got to be the most thoughtful thing I've read on the WISH boards in a very long time, and also very appropriate given your story about your grandfather's funeral and the sudden loss of Robert & Linda. I'll be sure to stay up late to have ice cream and social hour with you on Saturday night. :hug:

Ditto. Nothing else to say. (And besides that, I'm crying and can't say anything else!)

Jackie

:tiptoe: I had told myself I wasn't allowed to post here until I lost a certain amount of weight...but I read the news about Robert and Linda last night and I realized how awful I would feel if I didn't get the chance to wish all the O'hanas racing next weekend the Best of Luck, and a wonderful trip!

I hope everyone going has a fantastic time! I will also be with you in spirit. I'm doing the Princess this year, so with our "one Disney race per year" rule, I will live vicariously through all of the runners!

We will be there in 2013 -- my dh wants to run the Full, so I'm already thinking about the logistics. I've got three Halfs planned for 2012, and I'm hoping to add maybe one more. Let me be clear (I bet you didn't hear that phrase enough in 2011 ;), he's running the Full, I'm doing either Donald or Chip n Dale).

I hope everyone is started on a Healthy and Happy New Year!

Maria :upsidedow

Ditto. Nothing else to say. (And besides that, I'm crying and can't say anything else!)

Jackie

oh dear, me too! :sad1:

Like Maria, I sorta feel I have no right to be here - I have turned my back on exercise. I'm just saying that 2010 Half did me in, I did NOT like being the last one across that line, and then to meet up with dh who was so close to hypothermia - not good.

but, the deaths around me (I had another friend who was battling guillain barre syndrome after a lap band type surgery) lost her 2 year battle 2 days ago.

If you dont mind a slacker, we're staying at BWV and I think I may like to get connected again.

Thank you, John and Jackie - I'm glad my thoughts resonated with you.

Maria - I have missed you - our paths diverged for a while there, but I am glad you came by to say hello. I have been so absent from the DIS in recent months, and I'm sorry we've lost touch. Thanks for the good wishes!

Sandy: I'm glad to hear from you and I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. 2010 - that was a rough year to be on the course no matter how you slice it. I was so impressed with you - many people were not able to finish that day. Many people did who planned to race did not even bother to get out of their warm beds that morning. Anyway, we are happy to have you back, whatever your current activity level. It would be great to see you this weekend.

The thing about Ohana is: family are the people who are always glad to see you no matter how long you've been away or what you've done in the meantime. You don't have to do anything to be part of the group other than show up. Nobody here minds if you're fast or slow or sitting on the sidelines for a while. We say "nobody gets left behind"..which doesn't necessarily mean we go find you if you disappear, but it does mean that when you come back, there's always a place for you.:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter