Team 'Ohana--No One Left Behind: The Continuing Adventures

Richard: Great Rocky report! I love the amount of detail you put into these things. And my favorite line in the whole thing:

I don't really think the break between loops is known as a transition break, but I'm a triathlete so that's what I'm going with for now.

A few years ago, did you think you'd ever refer to yourself as a triathlete?

Mel: I'm sorry to hear your new running areas aren't quite a scenic as Jackie's - do I hear a road trip in your future? I know you'll enjoy and get used to the hiking/trail running; I think of you as much more adventuresome than I am and even I've grown to like our park areas for running. And you've taken to conquering the hills like...Napoleon? (Couldn't think of something apt.) I hope your knee adapts almost as quickly as your mind took to the challenge! How's your new job coming along?

Maria: I love that you've got your mental game on with your 10-mile run - the distance you need to make it up the overpass! That's motivational! And a big whoo hoo on your Corral C placement! :yay: In less happy news, I'm sorry about the Patriots.

Jackie: I'm glad you've got your head in the (marathon) game; I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. But I don't understand why you'd be embarrassed about how fast you ran?? And PD for all your upcoming racing goals!

John: Desert running sounds beautiful. And challenging. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the hard-core bragging rights for your Dublin training.

JenB: Oooh, a new experience with a rental place. I'll love to hear details about the digs - always on the lookout for new places. When and if my family ever does the "bring the babies" to WDW, it will have to be off-property. I'm not prepared to hear snide commentary about how expensive staying on-World is. Are you running the Princess with your friend, or are you two doing your own events?

Rose: Of COURSE you can express your disappointment. I know what you feel like. :hug: And the last thing I want to do is dismiss the feeling; esp. as I've been down about not running myself and losing ground.... But I've noticed how happy you sound now that you've been having good (if slower) runs. That's the runner in you - enjoying the experience, and working back to a safe, pain-free return! I hope you can take that with you to the Princess - that, and the fact it's just the next race of many! :woohoo: Have fun with DS this weekend! Bring back some of those "stays in Vegas" campus stories!

AFM: The toe is healing; it still gets swollen easily and is tender after a day of hill walking (which is what I do in my neighborhood, even without intentional exercise). But improving. I'm easing my way back to where I need to be...impatiently. But at least my other WOs have increased in intensity to the point DOOD doesn't worry about losing his head. :lmao:

In related news, two things:
1) Tower of Terror 10 miler information is up. I need to decide if it's do-able for me and DOOD, for me alone, or if we're not even headed to WDW at that point. DOOD's administrative responsibilities are increasing, and September/October & March/April are his busiest months. Who else is considering ToT?

2) The elliptical & stationary bike are driving me bonkers! I'm mixing in other things, but what I need from the cousins is a suggestion for some fluffy TV shows for my iPod. I just finished season 3 of "Being Human," the BBC version. I want to wait for a while before I try the American one. Books work, too!: yay:

Hey there Ohana!
I keep popping in and keep failing to finish a post. I am DETERMINED this time!

Congratulations to John on Dubai, Richard on Rocky and JenB on running with 2 celebrities AND getting a PR??? I SO should have tagged along with you for Tinkerbell! I guess if you can't have me as a corral buddy, Samwise is a fair substitute. :thumbsup2

D.K. -somehow I missed that you had BROKEN that toe. Holy fright!!

Good luck to the Princess runners and to Jackie on the upcoming (is it still upcoming) Marathon! I agree with the consensus - if you want to make your time, do not go out too fast. It always backfires and ends in misery, probably even if you are with the father of all Gallowalking.

Mel - 20 half marathons = awesome!!

Maria - I'm sorry about the game. I was rooting for the Patriots, too.

AFM - I guess you could call it resting or recovering or just plain slacking off. I ran on the TM after Goofy and ended up with a painful foot for my efforts. So...I decided to really just focus on strength, flexibility and not hurting myself worse for a while. I am also getting ready for my first time back on stage in...er...17 years? Yeah, seriously, I'm not quite sure how it happened either. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll be wanting to look as buff as possible so I'm upping my weights a little and working on losing those last 5 pounds again on Myfitnesspal. And some walking, mostly for fun.

This week I've also been helping out with scenery for a show that Andrew is in - he's playing a lecherous French military man who gives Joan of Arc her start. I can't wait to see it!! And designing props for another show, "Almost, Maine" that opens in a couple of weeks. Good times!

I am not registered for any races at the moment, but am looking at ODDyssey with JenB, and am planning for a triathlon with Carrie (wtplc) in the summer, too.

Hi cousins... I have been insanely busy. I can't wait for basketball season to be over. I keep saying to myself... one more week. Actually, tomorrow is the last game, but then next weekend is another tournament. Then just awards night. But I realized once b-ball is over, other things are kicking in!

Maria - My girls are great. Emma is 11 and super busy. Our biggest stress with her right now is whether to keep her in the parochial school she is in now until 8th grade, or transition her out to Middle school next year. Tough stuff! Kate is almost 9 and almost a challenge. She is "trouble" with a capital T. Though sometimes I refer to it as rambunctious! Laurel turned 2 in January. Can you believe it!!

D.K. - My nickname used to be "Grace"! Go figure. I was always into something as a kid. My back injury is actually from getting bucked off my horse when I was 20 (I think). I was riding bareback and a flash of light from a reflection spooked her. I had nothing to hold onto when she flew up. Not totally from being reckless, though I guess bareback is somewhat dangerous!

I am slowly increasing my running speed, though the last two weeks have been sketchy. Having a baby late in life really did a number on my body. I have managed to make it to the YMCA 4 times a week, even after killing my ankle (which is better now). I focused on elliptical and bike. My back is still bothering, more than normal. I am thinking it is from all the lifting and carrying of Laurel.

I missed marathon weekend and it nearly killed me. Tomorrow I plan to make my DVC ressies for next year. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out better than this year!

Debra -
Richard:
A few years ago, did you think you'd ever refer to yourself as a triathlete?
In 2009 I started in triathlon, in 2008 I considered starting before a car wreck took out my summer training due to a back injury, but back in 2007 as a fledgling runner (and certainly well before that) there's just no way I'd have believed the future that was waiting for me if only I would take the chance to reach out and embrace it. Thank you for pointing that out! :hug: I've spent some of my down time this week looking back, but not until recently did I do it to the degree I did after reading your comment.

Corinna - Congratulations on finishing that post! I came across someone with nearly the same name as yours during Rocky, though she is "Corina" and not "Corinna".

Jen L- Wow, Laurel's 2 already! I guess that makes sense since I first did Goofy 2 years ago and, as I recall, that was the year you missed being pregnant with her.

Jen B - I can't remember if I congratulated you on the Tinker Bell half, so congratulations! Actually, the strange thing on that second break between loops was that I came in from the second loop worn and mentally frazzled but I went our feeling relatively refreshed and reading to run. The third loop took a few minutes longer than the second but felt so much better that I was sure it was much faster, but it wasn't (I was just more tired and it felt faster!)

John - I loved your desert observations! I did make a point to note during Rocky when I crossed the 50K mark. I did the SunMart 50K back in 2007 and was woefully unprepared for the distance. I suffered through the last 8 miles or so and finished in about 10:21. During Rocky I crossed that 50K point about 3 hours fast and kept on going! That felt good.

Mel - Those breaks were a concern for me going into the race, but worked out well for me as a mental way to divide the race into smaller parts. I am planning to go back next year and run the race for time. I'm hoping to get under 10 hours, and maybe better than that, too.

AFM - My thanks to all of you for your supportive comments on my race and blog, I appreciate every single one!! I am still recovering from running (no big surprise there, huh?) and yesterday I allowed myself 20 minutes on the spin bike at minimal resistance to stretch out the legs a bit. I am still quite tired and worn down, though my legs seem to have minimal soreness left at this point. I felt worse after Ironman Texas than I did after Rocky Raccoon 50. Then again, I am also better trained now than I was then. I guess I will see how I feel after the next Ironman Texas (100 days from today!!! :scared1: :cool1: :yay: :woohoo: :scared1:) and see how I feel then. ;)

Well, I promised Deb I would check in and you know I am a woman of my word so.....

Jackie: Good luck on the upcoming marathon this weekend. It's the last one, right? :rotfl2:

John: Congrats on the race....loved the report!

Richard: congrats on your 50-miler. What an amazing accomplishment!

Deb: so sorry your little piggy is crying wee, wee, wee all the way home! :hug:
And now I have a question for the teacher. At my suggestion ( because I apparently missed this one in HS/college) our book club is reading "Ismael" this month. I am only about 2/3 finished but am having a real love/hate relationship with the story. Furthermore I am not even sure I understand the darn thing. I am hoping everything will tie together at the end. It certainly is provocative reading......any insights?

Jen: sorry about your tumble and what it did to your back. Take care of yourself, please!

Maria: sorry I will miss you at the Princess Half.....I'll be catering to higher priority around that time!

Jen: my WWF buddy.....I would get so much more accomplished each day if I wasn't so addicted! I am seriously thinking of signing up for the ODDessy HM and will make a decision this weekend. When I told my son about the dedicated Porta-potty, he wanted to know if it runs with us!

Corinna: my newest WWF buddy....come to Philly for the race in May!

Kira: welcome again!

Mel: hope you're liking NC more each day. Maybe we can get together with Jackie and Wendy sometime for a mini WISH meet.

Everyone else: hugs to all.

AFM: another one of my tests came back with a not-so-good result so I have another doctor's appointment next week. I am being weaned off the steroids so I feel crappy again, but I also realize that I don't want to be on them anymore. I have gained a ton of weight and my BP was getting sky high. I love the way they made me feel, but it's no longer a viable solution.
On a more positive note, I just got back from MI where the Greeks hosted a wonderful baby shower for my daughter. I can't believe that in just 7 weeks (give or take, of course!) I will be a grandma! Very exciting!

That's it for now......bedtime is calling.

All this talk of people coming to Philia is so exciting :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:; I don't want to misrepresent the race, it is kind of small but gives you a medal and beer glass so it can't be bad, right? I think the port a potty thing is just funny but we have a real shot at 30 people, so we may just get it.

So nice to see cousins coming back.

Deb: I keep looking for shows to watch while I exercise. Burn Notice and Psych have been my entertaining running companions for the past few months.

Jeanne: I love our WWF games, although you are kicking my booty in most of them. I'll try to be faster with playing but life keeps getting in the way and I can't get away with just playing a simple word with you. ;)

Jackie: Have a fabulous race!!!

We are still planning our races for this year. I will be doing Princess in a few weeks, then ODDyssey in Philia in May, not sure if we will sneak one in before that. After being in CA for Tink, I desperately want to do the DL 1/2. If we can firm up babysitting I think we will be there (jet lagged kid on the first day of school isn't too bad right?) We do plan on doing ToT and Wine and Dine as well. I really enjoyed doing a full that was not part of Goofy, so will likely do either Marine Corps or Philia this fall. Goofy again in Jan.

Whoops - I don't know how so much time passed since I last posted! Deb had to come fetch me on Facebook! Thanks for giving me a poke and reminding me to stop by. This is just going to be a quickie today, but I promise a longer post in the near future.

I have enjoyed reading all the great race reports. Congrats to Jenn B., Richard & John!

And I hope everyone with aches and pains is feeling better - I'm particularly thinking of Deb & Jeanne.

Hugs to everyone else! I am strongly considering doing the May ODDyssey half - I wasn't planning a half that soon this year, but it is so convenient for me (less than a 10-minute drive from my house!), and the prospect of seeing so many of you may tempt me into it! Plus it looks like a lot of fun. I haven't made my final decision, but I should know within a week or two.

And I did miss a run last weekend (I was in an all-day training both Sat. & Sun.), but I'm still doing well with workouts. I may be challenged in a week when we are in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, but I do hope to get a few runs in even there!

Take care everyone!

Kira

Hi all! I'm not certain what the proper protocol would be to join a team... is it kind of open enrollment or is there some other way..? I recently completed the Tinkerbell half and now that the thread is going dormant until next year, I'm hoping to find motivation (and maybe mild repercussions ;) ) if I don't keep at it! My husband runs as well, but he skips a lot of runs during the week, and is pretty ok with running whatever on the weekend as well, so he's no good in that respect. :lmao:

Our next race is going to be a 15K here in Portland for St Patty's day and we hope to run the Wine and Dine to get our C2C! We'll know shortly when they actually release the dates... sorry, I know I'm babbling a bit before I even know if it is OK!

Cheers!
Shanna

Hi all! I'm not certain what the proper protocol would be to join a team... is it kind of open enrollment or is there some other way..?

Oh no, there's no open enrollment here. To be an 'Ohana member, you have to pass the entrance exam, learn the secret handshake, and survive the initiation hazing, er, rituals. :lmao:

Well, ok, maybe not all that, but you do need to let us know the following so we can get to know you too. If you go back to the first few pages of this group, you'll find our answers there. Welcome! :)

Name:
Day Job:
Family:
Best recovery food or beverage:
TV Shows you watch or have loved:
Races Planned this year:
Meaning of DIS screen name:

Oh no, there's no open enrollment here. To be an 'Ohana member, you have to pass the entrance exam, learn the secret handshake, and survive the initiation hazing, er, rituals. :lmao:

Well, ok, maybe not all that, but you do need to let us know the following so we can get to know you too. If you go back to the first few pages of this group, you'll find our answers there. Welcome! :)

Name:
Day Job:
Family:
Races Planned this year:

Thanks John! This is probably one of the easier "tests" of my life! :goodvibes
Name: Shanna
Day Job: Mac Technician for a large ad agency in the NW
Family: We are still pretty small... its just my husband and I and our various pets. He works as an engineer for Boeing and every December we both show reindeer (no really, my mother in law raises them!) We also have two cats, both Tabbys, one is named Turbo and is huuuuge (my husbands) and mine is a smaller girl named Drive By Funnies. I couldn't decide on a name when I got her, so my friends threatened they would call her that if I didn't hurry up, so... it stuck! ^^ We also have a cute little roborovski hamster called Macgrover, a zebra danio with only one eye, the smallest clown loach you'd ever see and a dwarf frog.
Favorite race you ever ran: Disneyland 5K in 2010 - that's an easy one given that my husband proposed on the finish line! :cloud9:
Best recovery food or beverage: Huevos Rancheros! I would keep running past the finish line for them! ^^
TV Shows you watch or have loved: We don't have cable and went a couple years without really watching anything but recently have been hooked by a bunch to make up for it: Dr Who, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Archer, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock and the Office mostly! My favourites from days gone by are Duck Tales, Tail Spin, Firefly, Futurama, Rome and various anime shows. whew!
Races Planned this year: The next few are all here in Portland, the 15K Shamrock Run, Pints to Pasta 10K, and an Oktoberfest 8K. We are planning on doing the Wine and Dine 1/2 in WDW to finish our C2C so we won't be able to do the Disneyland or the Portland halves financially - maybe next year!
Meaning of DIS screen name: I'm a girl and I'm an Aquarius, AquaDame! :thumbsup2

Life is beyond insane for me lately. Still making it to the Y a minimum of 4 times a week (I want that new tote bag for the new year challenge!!). But woke up yesterday with a head cold!!! Ughh. This weekend is the end of basketball for Emma. She has a 2 day tournament and I hope the girls do well. So far, they have only lost 2 games all year and won the tournament last month.

Congrats to all the races everyone has done the last couple of weeks. We have nothing here until next month (and then the weather is still iffy!!). So I am planning my WDW vacation instead.

Shanna/Aquadame... WELCOME. I will wait to hear if you passed the exam!!! :rotfl: :banana:

:welcome: Shanna!

Kira/JenB - I actually looked at the dates for the ODDyssey - so many WISHers are doing it, it looked tempting. Then sanity took over! But I don't have a May half on the calendar...

Jeanne - Last one, yep. Just don't read my race report on the Leanies thread!

All of your advice was well taken. It almost fell apart when I got to the start, and couldn't find the 5:30 pace group. I had to start with the 5:15 to keep from having a complete breakdown - what do you do when your entire race strategy falls apart at the start line? I'd chosen this race specifically so I could run with a Galloway pace group, and they were nowhere to be found. So I went to plan B, and found the next closest group. Ran 2 miles with them, and out of nowhere the 5:30 group passed us. Quickly switched groups, and ran the remaining 24.2 miles with them! We went a little rogue, and ran faster than we were supposed to, so when I left them near the end I already had a comfortable cushion. Crossed the finish line well ahead of 5:30, and got my goal and a huge PR! I highly recommend the 26.2 with Donna/National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer - mostly flat course, except for a very long bridge at the end, beautiful scenery, and the best community support I've ever experienced, especially for a relatively small race (10,000 total between the 5K, half, and full.) Btw, Jeff Galloway finished around 5:14 - don't know where he started, but I suspect he was up front with the celebs!

Next up - Crystal Coast Half Marathon in Morehead City next weekend!

Jackie

Name:
Day Job:
Family:
Races Planned this year:

Hi everyone! Mind if I join in?

Name: Beth
Day Job: special ed teacher (and part time cast member at Disney Store Times Square)
Family: just me and my bird in my apartment; parents live in Nashville, sister lives in Orlando (WDW CM)
Favorite race you ever ran: NYRR Mini 10K - I normally hate 10Ks, but this one is really cool
Best recovery food or beverage: chocolate milk!!! or a black velvet from R&C :cool1:
TV Shows you watch or have loved: Currently on the DVR list: Dance Moms, Project Runway All-Stars, Castle, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, L&O:SVU, Once Upon a Time, and Grimm. Have loved in the past: Crossing Jordan (before the whole Woody thing), L&O, L&O: CI, Seinfeld...and a bunch more I can't think of right now.
Races Planned this year: Done: 2012 WDW Marathon. Registered for: see signature. Planed but not yet registered: NYRR Mini 10K, Philadelphia Half, 2013 WDW Marathon.
Meaning of DIS screen name: Dug is my favorite! I love him! And 720 is my birthday. :goodvibes

Hi Beth! How fabulous is working at the Time Square store? ^__^ What is special about the NYRR? I am always looking for interesting runs since I get bored so easily!

Hi Beth! How fabulous is working at the Time Square store? ^__^ What is special about the NYRR? I am always looking for interesting runs since I get bored so easily!

Hi! It's a lot of fun - definitely never a dull moment!

The Mini 10K has always been women-only, which I thought I would hate. I ran it this past year though to get my 9 races in for guaranteed entry into the NYC Marathon (that I'm not using because I refuse to pay their ridiculously high registration fee) and fell in love with it. In 2011 it was run in memory of Grete Waitz, so that in and of itself was special, but just the overall support that was there. NYRR asked the running clubs to have their guys (and women who weren't running for whatever reason) do cheer stations around Central Park, and my Front Runner boys were in the best possibly place - the middle of Harlem Hills, which I usually hate. We could hear them on the West Side long before we could see them. And then seeing them gave me the boost to get up a hill I'd never managed to do an entire run interval on (I run/walk). Additionally, the support everyone had for everyone else was amazing - women would finish, get their medal and flower, and then go line the finish chute to cheer on everyone else. It's also my 10K PR because of all the support. I just found it to be really fun and uplifting. It almost made me forget how much I typically don't like 10Ks. :lmao:

A great big welcome to Shanna and Beth for wanting to join the Ohana family! :cheer2: :grouphug: You'll find we are a mostly harmless group who love to talk about running and fitness and enjoy gathering for post-half marathon ice bream meets following a Disney race. I suppose you'll pick up the rest as we go forward.

I was really just passing through without the time for a proper post today, but had to say hello to our newest cousins. I keeping hoping to find one that lives remotely close to me, though the last time that happened they apparently had to flee the country suddenly or something like that........ ;)

I'll chime in with :welcome: to our newest cousins :goodvibes

Jackie: Congrats on your awesome PR :cool1::cool1: We'd love to see you in May, but understand that sanity must win sometimes.

Jen: Good job getting to the Y even though life has been crazy.

Kira: Nice to see you will be at Broad Street. I can't believe how crazy the sign up was and how fast it sold out. We got in thanks to my husband and his patience with all things computer. :surfweb:

I'm gearing up for Princess and expecting an interesting trip. I'm staying off property with a friend at a condo and will be the "extra grown-up" in the park with her to help kid wrangle while we are together. I'm helping to pace a different friend through his first half, so the whole thing should be fun. I am in a debate with myself about waiting until the Princess expo to sign up for Disneyland. Southwest made my decision today by selling flights to CA from PHL for only $141 each way :banana::banana::banana: so we are definitely going. I foolishly want to get the cool Coast to Coast backpack they give out when you sign up at the expo but am worried the race will sell out before next week, then I lose the race and the backpack :confused3. I'm going to watch the website but will probably sign up in the next day or two and beg the guy at the expo for a backpack.

The other cool news I have is related to my DD. We have come such a long way in a year. Just about a year ago I was venting here about her school troubles and her diagnosis of dyslexia. She is now in 3rd grade and with the help of an awesome tutor is doing fabulously!!! She wrote an essay on why Disney is the best place to vacation and she included in it that one of the reasons is "You can run a 5K through Epcot." Her description of the 5K was amazingly detailed. I am in awe that a kid who would not write a sentence last year without significant battling and tears finished a huge essay on Disney and was happy to do it. The grammar is not perfect and neither was the spelling but it was such a remarkable change from last year.

Feel free to skip this but I'm a proud mama and think it is a cool way to view a race (through the eyes on an 8 year old). Here is one part of her essay: Disney is the greatest place to be because you can run a 5K through Epcot. For example, I got to run a 5K through Epcot. It was early in the morning and foggy. So foggy if you took a picture it looked like it was snowing. When our corral got to go, we started to jog. When we got to the start line we saw Jose, Panchito, and Donald. We were in Epcot parking lot, there was a row of port a potties and running next to the port a potties was a man in an American suit holding an American flag. Later we go in to the park but we were where employees go. We saw the mini parking lot inside Test Track, and saw a wall that looked Mexican. I was confused because as I remember, Mexico is nowhere near Test Track. Soon, we got into the actual park I knew so well. I zoomed through it. When we were at Italy my dad said that the song that was playing was hard to run to. When I saw the finish line I tried to sprint but I tripped. When I got up a whole group cheered for me. I ran to the finish line got my medal. I was happy. I hope I get to run again.

Kira: Nice to see you will be at Broad Street. I can't believe how crazy the sign up was and how fast it sold out. We got in thanks to my husband and his patience with all things computer. :surfweb:

The other cool news I have is related to my DD. We have come such a long way in a year. Just about a year ago I was venting here about her school troubles and her diagnosis of dyslexia. She is now in 3rd grade and with the help of an awesome tutor is doing fabulously!!! She wrote an essay on why Disney is the best place to vacation and she included in it that one of the reasons is "You can run a 5K through Epcot." Her description of the 5K was amazingly detailed. I am in awe that a kid who would not write a sentence last year without significant battling and tears finished a huge essay on Disney and was happy to do it. The grammar is not perfect and neither was the spelling but it was such a remarkable change from last year.

Feel free to skip this but I'm a proud mama and think it is a cool way to view a race (through the eyes on an 8 year old). Here is one part of her essay: Disney is the greatest place to be because you can run a 5K through Epcot. For example, I got to run a 5K through Epcot. It was early in the morning and foggy. So foggy if you took a picture it looked like it was snowing. When our corral got to go, we started to jog. When we got to the start line we saw Jose, Panchito, and Donald. We were in Epcot parking lot, there was a row of port a potties and running next to the port a potties was a man in an American suit holding an American flag. Later we go in to the park but we were where employees go. We saw the mini parking lot inside Test Track, and saw a wall that looked Mexican. I was confused because as I remember, Mexico is nowhere near Test Track. Soon, we got into the actual park I knew so well. I zoomed through it. When we were at Italy my dad said that the song that was playing was hard to run to. When I saw the finish line I tried to sprint but I tripped. When I got up a whole group cheered for me. I ran to the finish line got my medal. I was happy. I hope I get to run again.

Hope to see you at Broad Street! I managed to get in too! Very excited!

That is awesome about your daughter!!! You should definitely be proud of her!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter