• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell Me About Tony's Town Square... Is it actually bad food, or just not really Italian food?

Picky? No, we're not. We just don't like pasta that tasted like it came fresh out of a can. Yes it was that bad. The folks in the dis unplugged review nailed it right on the head. Its very acidic and not at all edible. My son (and myself too) couldn't eat the meatballs that he was served. I had the chicken parm, terrible. Definitely nothing like olive garden. But I do agree that if you want an edible dish, go for something WITHOUT the nasty acidic tomato sauce.[

People in general are picky with Italian food. Doesn’t mean you have to be picky to dislike Tony’s. I don’t even think it’s very good. But in general most people are more critical of Italian food that isn’t authentic more than other types of food.

If you say it doesn’t taste like Olive Garden, then you haven’t had their marinara sauce. Olive Garden doesn’t put marinara on much of anything they serve other than their “linguine marinara”. Most of their dishes have tomato sauce, meat sauce etc. but if you have had their marinara (I cater with it 3-4x per week) it tastes EXACTLY like Tony’s. Tony’s doesn’t taste like chef boyardee. Tony’s sauce is chunky, acidic and sweet whereas chefboyardee is a bland and like a paste. Just sayin... I’ve heard it compared to chef boyardee and it isn’t even remotely the same thing. Equally bad? Maybe. Depending on your tastes. But not similar in taste or texture.

Last edited:
I was a little hesitant to try Tony's because I had read so many negative reviews, but I honestly didn't think it was bad at all. My daughter is a super picky eater who will ONLY eat Delgrosso spaghetti sauce on her pasta (and it has to be the "meat flavored" kind...I once got "pepperoni" by accident and she refused to eat it altho I couldn't even tell a difference. I swear she could win a taste test contest) and she ate all of her meal there. I feel like I am probably less of a reliable opinion since I am guilty of living off of Chef Boyardee mini ravioli for my entire senior year of college. I think that stuff is delicious lol.

We also ate at Hollywood and Vine for their Halloween buffet last year and we thought that was pretty good too.

Dishes that are not tomato sauce based are also better reviewed.

You hit the nail exactly on the head here. The theme of the negative reviews seems to generally circle around the tomato sauce (or red sauce or marinara or "canned sauce") and not as much the other meals. Which I know is sacrilege to some for an Italian restaurant. But if it's me (and I've been there and done this), I'd just avoid anything with tomato sauce. The grilled pork chop and the steak were both good (and good value if on DDP) and from what I remember the pizza wasn't too bad either. Maybe that's a different tomato sauce?

A number of years ago we ordered a pork chop. Basically raw. Sent it back. Still not cooked. Waiter said "chief" was new. Thought it was pre cooked and only had to be browned. Some people like canned spagett, think Olive Garden is the best italian restaurant (maybe in their town) and favor atmosphere over food.

Most of the MK restaurants are sketcy and or way overpriced. If I don't dine at bog I'd rather go with qs or dine in a nearby resort.

...My daughter is a super picky eater who will ONLY eat Delgrosso spaghetti sauce on her pasta...

I have to ask where you're from :) I grew up in the town where Delgrosso sauce comes from (well, where it was first served in the family restaurant, not where it's packaged - that's about 10 miles away) and it was pretty much the standard for anyone who didn't make their own sauce. It's always funny when I hear about people who love that stuff but aren't from the area! I guess it still seems like a local product, rather than the big corporate sauces. Delgrosso also operates a small amusement park in the town where the sauce is packaged. Maybe they could take over sponsorship of Tony's! Seems like a good fit :)

My DD and I ate there last year for lunch. We sat on the porch for the first reservation slot and it was shaded and so very nice. We loved it! I got the Scampi and they substituted chicken for the shrimp. DELICIOUS. Service was top notch. We will be back

I have to ask where you're from :) I grew up in the town where Delgrosso sauce comes from (well, where it was first served in the family restaurant, not where it's packaged - that's about 10 miles away) and it was pretty much the standard for anyone who didn't make their own sauce. It's always funny when I hear about people who love that stuff but aren't from the area! I guess it still seems like a local product, rather than the big corporate sauces. Delgrosso also operates a small amusement park in the town where the sauce is packaged. Maybe they could take over sponsorship of Tony's! Seems like a good fit :)

Haha I refuse to ever call it Delgrosso Park...it was always be Blands Park to me! Are you from the Tipton/Tyrone/Bellwood area? I know some of the family from Martinsburg. I am from Hollidaysburg :)

Just finished my Tony's lunch. I had the Festival of Fantasy package and was on the Dining Plan. (1 TS credit)

Arrival
They make a big deal out of calling you to your seat here, or at least they did today. As a solo I could have done without that but DD would have loved it when she was six.

I found the restaurant very pretty and appreciated my seat in a quiet corner.
IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

My server was prompt, polite and efficient-no complaints there.

Appetizer-Caesar Salad
IMG_2847.JPG

This was a very basic Caesar but the romaine was fresh and, for once, the salad wasn't overdressed. 6/10

Entree-Shrimp Scampi
IMG_2849.JPG

This was pretty good (after I added a lot of black pepper!) with eight nice sized shrimp and al dente linguini, a very large portion-I couldn't finish mine. 7/10

Dessert-Tiramisu/Cappuccino
IMG_2853.JPG
This was pretty darn yummy IMHO. The tiramisu was creamy and the coffee hot and foamy. 8/10

All in all, I was happy with my meal and felt the FoF package provided good value on the DP.

Just finished my Tony's lunch. I had the Festival of Fantasy package and was on the Dining Plan. (1 TS credit)

Arrival
They make a big deal out of calling you to your seat here, or at least they did today. As a solo I could have done without that but DD would have loved it when she was six.

View attachment 272929

View attachment 272930

Appetizer-Caesar Salad
View attachment 272923

This was a very basic Caesar but the romaine was fresh and, for once, the salad wasn't overdressed. 6/10

Entree-Shrimp Scampi
View attachment 272925

This was pretty good (after I added a lot of black pepper!) with eight nice sized shrimp and al dente linguini, a very large portion-I couldn't finish mine. 7/10

View attachment 272928
This was pretty darn yummy IMHO. The tiramisu was creamy and the coffee hot and foamy. 8/10

All in all, I was happy with my meal and felt the FoF package provided good value on the DP.

Awesome pictures! That looks very tasty, actually. We may get the shrimp.

Arrival

View attachment 272929

View attachment 272930

Appetizer-Caesar Salad
View attachment 272923

Entree-Shrimp Scampi
View attachment 272925

View attachment 272928

this confirms what the thread mostly points to: avoiding the red sauce is a safe bet! what you ordered is pretty much what I've mentally chosen every time I look over the menu online.

Also glad to see your tiramisu review, as I've thought of going to Tony's just for dessert/tiramisu -- I mostly want to see the restaurant and take photos of the statue :)

Arrival

View attachment 272929

View attachment 272930

Appetizer-Caesar Salad
View attachment 272923

Entree-Shrimp Scampi
View attachment 272925

View attachment 272928

Very detailed and timely review. Nice job! Glad you enjoyed it.

To continue my review:

I loved, loved, loved my Festival of Fantasy reserved viewing! I arrived around 1:40 and had a seat on a shady bench. It did fill up closer to parade time but everyone in my area sat for the parade. Very, very relaxed when compared to trying to view standby.
IMG_2861.JPG

We went during our last trip. Had good timing and sat outside and watched the parade. I remember...nothing...about the food. Absolutely nothing. (And this was only 4 years ago. I remember every other meal.)

So take that for what's it's worth. :)

Haha I refuse to ever call it Delgrosso Park...it was always be Blands Park to me! Are you from the Tipton/Tyrone/Bellwood area? I know some of the family from Martinsburg. I am from Hollidaysburg :)

I'm from Altoona! I agree...it will always be Blands Park :) Maybe we could start a campaign to have Delgrosso take over the sponsorship of Tony's. It's still weird when I see hometown favorites (Delgrosso, Sheetz, Boyer, etc.) outside of the area so a Delgrosso/Disney deal might completely blow my mind! :rotfl2:

I'm from Altoona! I agree...it will always be Blands Park :) Maybe we could start a campaign to have Delgrosso take over the sponsorship of Tony's. It's still weird when I see hometown favorites (Delgrosso, Sheetz, Boyer, etc.) outside of the area so a Delgrosso/Disney deal might completely blow my mind! :rotfl2:

I work in Altoona :) Small world! I think Sheetz food would actually be a hit at Disney...it is good stuff! And I am always a fan of Mallocups so that would be a welcome addition as well haha.

Not bad, just like opening a jar of Ragu and pouring it over!
:crazy2:
But, to be fair, most Italian places taste that way to us - we don't go to any of them (chains) anymore.

Entree-Shrimp Scampi
View attachment 272925

Aha! See you are from LA - all you really needed was some Tony's or cayenne, eh?? We actually take a small container with us, makes a world of difference on bland food!! :D

I love shrimp scampi also, but make my own, and haven't gotten it out. That does look good though with some seasonings added!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter