Tell me about your 1st WDW vacation, please.

StaciaRae

Mouseketeer
Hi! We're 80 days away from our very first Disney vacation and sooooo excited! DH42, myself (40), dd5 and ds3 will be staying at AKL with rented points for 7 nights! I've spent the better part of this past year researching and reading DIS. I'm not planning too many ADRs or special activities (other than BBB and Pirate and Pals) so we can keep a flexible schedule to just take it all in.

I would just love to hear some of your experiences from your first Disney trip.

Thanks for playing along :)

Well, my first trip was in 1975. There was only the MK. You paid an admission fee and bought a book of tickets to use on rides. And they were tiered. FP didn't exist. Characters roamed freely throughout the park. The Main Street trolleys and street cars ran all day long. You could paddle canoes down the Rivers of America. There were only 3 resorts and the campground on property, so most folks stayed off property. If you wanted to eat at a TS restaurant you went there and made a same day reservation. Things have changed a bit since then.

I was 7, we were visiting FL looking for a place to move to. We were staying in a nice motel in Hobe Sound FL so had to wake up early as it was a long drive. My first ride was the Carrousel, then went on Small World, then Dreamflight (where Buzz is now, was a Delta attraction about flying). Think we did everything in Fantasyland at the time, and I ran up to characters even though I knew they were just people in costumes (couldn't resist). Fireworks were good as always. We also did Seaworld on that trip

Our first trip was in the early 90s with a four year old, and it was a fantastic experience. While I am not a fan of FP+, it is because we spent years going to WDW using FP-. That is why we love going to DLR now. Having said that, I will almost promise that you and your family will have a fantastic first visit. You are doing all the right things, including the allowance for the unexpected. Watch your children's expressions, excitement, etc. :yay::love: That alone will make your vacation and make you want to return. One piece of advice: Let your children's energy level determine what and when you do it. Some times leaving the park and spending time at the pool, or playing mini golf will give the whole family time to unwind and avoid a bout of sensory overload. You can not do it all, even in 7 nights. That adds to the excitement of planning for the next visit. Have fun!

I was 4, brother was 5 so mid 1970s. Dad thought it would be fun to drive us all down in a VW van with a camping toilet in it. We stayed at the campgrounds. I don't remember much about the trip other than a few photos and having to "go" in the camper toilet (I'm not the outdoorsy type). Mom said on the drive back she was thinking of all the lawyers she knew who could handle the divorce. So although I don't remember much about our "vacation", I'm guessing it was not full of pixie dust.

Taking Mom and Dad back in a few weeks (23 days to be exact - yay!) along with my DH and DD who will turn 3 while we are there. We booked them a theme park view room at Contemporary and have character dining and signature restaurants planned daily for dinner. Hopefully they will enjoy this trip a little better than the last time they were there :)

Trip report should be interesting! Can't wait to celebrate DD's birthday there and make some happy Disney memories with the family. I've been 2 or 3 times since I was a kid. Once with a high school group, once for a work convention and the last trip was 1996 for the Disney marathon (actually did the Goofy challenge). Couldn't walk very well after that one so did not do much in terms of rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. Pretty much just soaked in a tub of ice. LOL. So I guess another not so great memory. November should be loads of fun. Can't wait.

I was 6 and I don't remember a whole lot. I know there was a hurricane off the coast of Florida, and WDW was getting drenched. My father, who will never let a penny go to waste, ponchoed us up and headed to the park anyway. We rode Space Mountain about 10 times in a row with no line. Apart from Space Mountain, the only other memories I have are the cabin we stayed in at Wilderness Resort, watching the Country Bears Jamboree, and buying Mickey Ears. I'm not sure if we ever went to Epcot or not.

It was the summer of 1976 and we drove down from Montreal with our tent trailer and camped.
I was 8 and the one thing I remember was waiting in a long, long line for Space Mountain with my uncle and getting of the ride totally terrified and never wanting to go on it again.:rotfl2:

Now I can't enough of it, especially the DL version!

I had no plans to go but our Township Recreation Dept planned a group trip so I signed up and went with my 2 kids who were 5 and 8. We stayed offsite, a rental car was included, and were on our own at the parks (not that they all existed in 1987). We made no dinner plans and ate QS only. Hotel had an indoor pool and hot tub which we adored. This was what I would call a moderate hotel and wish it still existed but it was replaced with a Red Roof Inn years ago.

We had a wonderful trip and my eyes probably were as big as theirs when we stepped on the ferry and first saw Cinderella's Castle. We did as much as we could at MK on first day and watched parade and fireworks.

The next day we spent at Epcot and really did see it all. Feel in love with both halves of the park and for many many trips this was our first day park and our favorite.

Rode the monorail and was thrilled with that experience too. Every mode of transportation that we could use, we did!

How could I have ever thought that I had no interest in Walt Disney World or Disneyland? Been hooked ever since!!

Well, my first trip was in 1975. There was only the MK. You paid an admission fee and bought a book of tickets to use on rides. And they were tiered. FP didn't exist. Characters roamed freely throughout the park. The Main Street trolleys and street cars ran all day long. You could paddle canoes down the Rivers of America. There were only 3 resorts and the campground on property, so most folks stayed off property. If you wanted to eat at a TS restaurant you went there and made a same day reservation. Things have changed a bit since then.

There were no mountains for my first visit the year it opened, but the rest of this sounds about right. Funny thing is though that I think we spent as much time sitting around discussing which rides to use those precious tickets on as we do now waiting for our FP+ times! I remember the hot dogs in the foil lined packets that tasted soooo good, and the tiny train station all by itself in Frontierland (no Splash or Thunder) and how hot it was because the trees were so small. We would ride If You Had Wings over and over just to cool off! I also remember crying all the way from MK to the TTC when we left because I didn't want to leave. Some things never change, lol! :rolleyes1

I was 12 and we went in 1983 on our way back to MA from Key West. Epcot had just opened the year prior. Having gone to DL for the first time four years prior, I was over most of my scaredy-cat phase and was able to enjoy the familiarity of some of the rides at MK (though I for sure noticed differences).

Epcot blew me away, though. Captain EO was amazing, hydroponic farming in the Land, Figment, Kitchen Cabaret, Spaceship Earth! We rode the double-decker bus they used to have all around the World Showcase before we decided where to explore more. I ALWAYS wanted to go to France but was overridden on that trip and the next at age 15, so when I went back at age 42, I made sure we had dinner there the first night.

It is completely different now than it was then, but since I don't go as often as many on this board, the magic hasn't worn off for me. Our next trip is May 2016. I hope your trip is wonderful, OP.

I do not remember my first trip as I was under 1 and more then likely under 6 months I think the fact that you are not doing too much is a great idea

I was 4 (in the 80s) and I don't remember a lot but I know I fell in love with Disney! Dumbo was my favorite ride (still is) and I remember meeting mickey mouse for the first time and my cousin (who was also 4) started screaming "Mickey Mouse please don't eat me" while crying hysterically.

I think your plan sounds great- take your time- take it all in- experience the magic! Our Disney trips are pretty relaxed compared to most- we make a few ADRs and FP ressies but other than that we just walk around and take it all in. You'll have a lovely trip!!

I don't remember the year. Sometime during the 80s. Really most of what I remember is that we went in the winter so my mom thought it would be cold (back before you could check weather on the Internet) and it was SO HOT so we had to buy new clothes there and them wash them every night.

Second trip was the opposite problem. My mom only took warm weather clothes and it was freezing!

Sounds like you have things well in hand though I might suggest one or two ADRs. There are just so many fun restaurants on property. I even have one scheduled for an upcoming 3 day trip.

My first trip was in 1996 with then GF, now DW. We stayed a few nights off site and went to US and SW for one day each, then stayed at Clearwater Beach for a couple nights, then stayed at CBR for three more nights and spent a day each at Epcot and MK. I had never even been to Florida, let alone Disney World. Dad was never interested in taking us. He liked nature/history trips and avoided large cities and crowded areas like they were leper colonies. DW had been before, so she remembered some things, but not much. We really were winging it.

We were there during Labor Day week, so the crowds were low. We spent some time at the Boardwalk. I remember being able to see the Eiffel Tower replica in France at night -- that stuck with me. I also remember seeing the YC/BC across Crescent Lake and thinking, "that must be where the rich people stay." I really don't remember where we ate other than the ESPN Club. The only thing I remember being annoyed by was the nearly complete "cake castle" transformation -- still shake my head when I think about it.

Five years later we took our three nephews, then went the year after with another couple (no kids on that trip), and are now planning our third trip with our own kids for next May.

OP -- I want to thank you for starting this thread, because it helps to bring back some of the magic and keep things in perspective while planning another trip. Our last trip felt a little bit forced, and I want to loosen up more on the next one, which I'm sure will be fine with the rest of my family. So... Thanks!

First trip as an adult, Sept 2003 (kids were in year round school and had intersession the end of Sept-early Oct). Kids were 4, 4 and 6. It was DH's idea and I was not excited about it. Didn't think it would be fun for us (DH and I). We both had only been once as kids and didn't remember too much about it (plus it was early 1980s and all that was there was MK). So, 2003, we stayed in crappy townhouse style condo in Kissimmee. We didn't eat at any places on property at all. We did long days in the parks and then left at dinner time to eat in the Orlando area. We packed food to eat for lunch. We got most everything done and even had a day at universal and a day at Seaworld. It was a lot of fun and magical. We couldn't wait to go back. Next trip, in 2005, was on-site at POR with dining plan and that blew us away even more. We bought DVC in 2006. About to go on my 15th trip.

In June 1979 I was 13 and my parents took me to WDW. We stayed at the Dutch Inn (now the Wyndham LBV). Things I remember:
- Walking to Disney Village (DTD/Disney Springs) and driving a small speedboat on the lake.
- Ticket books, riding Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Speedway, lots of rides, this was before BTMRR and Splash
- Dinner in Cinderella's Castle - I had to look up what it was called then: King Stefan's Banquet Hall
- River Country - this blew me away, the concept of a water slide was the most amazing thing.

My parents are no longer with us, but a week today DW and I will be back at WDW with DD, who is 16.

My first trip as an adult was in 2012, with my then 5 and 15 month old kids. We stayed off property and only had an ADR at tusker house and CRT. The CRy was just my daughter and I for lunch because we didn't have the money for all of us! The kids saved money form their birthdays and we just bought them some ears and one pressed penny book. I used the dis and the unofficial guide book...the book was well worn! I thiught it would be one of two lifetime trips but we are about to do our third since then, for 10 days. I completely fell in love! I am doing lots of ADrs now, since we have free dining, and so it's a more structured trip we will see what we like more. Have an amazing trip! I think as long as you are informed about where thigns are and how they work then you'll have a great time.

Our first trip (me and 11 da) was this year-- 4 days just before Labor Day. Stayed at AKL. Loved the resort, pool and Boma. Took Magical Expresses and DW buses-- both were great. But, the parks were empty so that helped. Spent 1 day at AK --fab! One day at Epcot-- loved it. And, one day at MK-- meh, not as good as Disneyland. Have fun... We did!

I went in 1975 for the first time as well. I wouldn't call it a Disney "vacation," just one day as part of a longer Florida vacation. We stayed two nights at a mom & pop motel offsite.

Space Mountain had just opened a month or so before, so we made a beeline to it at rope drop, and there was already at least a 1/2 hour wait. Dad and I re-rode it again later in the evening, while Mom waited on a bench for close to 2 hours. I remember the book of tickets, and I think I still have some leftover A tickets somewhere. Dad made reservations for dinner at King Stefan's Banquet Hall inside Cinderella's Castle, and the best time we could get was about 8:45pm. We were sitting right at the end of a row at Country Bears Jamboree, and after about 5 minutes, Dad whispered "this is horrible." Mom and I agreed, so we walked out and I haven't been back since.

The first Disney "vacation" was three days, hopping between MK and Epcot in 1987 with then-fiancé. (Now ex-H). We stayed at the Contemporary. I was really impressed with the now dated Exxon Universe of Energy ride, (Ellen's), Horizons, World of Motion, etc. Communicore East and West (now Innoventions). The Canada pavilion's restaurant was cafeteria service. I don't think Maelstrom/Norway was open yet. Illuminations show at the time was "wow!!", but would be considered very ho-hum these days.

Our first trip was in 2009. It was me, my sister and my niece. I had always wanted to go to Disney when I was younger but circumstances prevented it until my early 30s.

We stayed at POP and enjoyed the resort for the most part. We enjoyed the entire experience it was just a short 3 day trip with one day at AK and two at MK. We managed to do all we wanted except meet Snow White. The one thing I remember most is the look of pure joy and happiness on my niece's face when she was meeting the Princesses, Mickey, Minnie..etc.

The the look in her eyes the first time she saw the Castle. It was just magic.

We did a lot of Character meals that trip. Tusker House..1900..CRT and I think we did one more.

Then there was the over 2 hour wait to meet the Fairies...but it was worth it because the trip was all about my niece.

I overspent on souvenirs...big time. Half the stuff I got I don't even know where it is.

We didn't know when or if we would be back and luckily we have been one time since with another trip booked starting the 25th of this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter