Tell me about your 1st WDW vacation, please.

Our first trip was in 2000, after both me and my hubby's childhoods were never fulfilled with a trip to the most magical place on earth, we decided early on to start saving for what we thought would be a once in a lifetime trip (ha!) with our kids, ages 7 and 5. (We've returned every other year at Christmas since then, with one exception when we tried Disneyland at Halloween. )

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge with a courtyard view (for $114 a night . . . ) December 15 - 19. We arrived and ate at Chef Mickey's for the first and last time ever on our first evening. We hit Epcot during the first full day and entered the Magic Kingdom for the first time ever when we went to the Christmas party that night.

This was back when it was nearly impossible to get a reservation for breakfast in Cinderella's castle and, as I'd just joined the DIS boards that summer, was delighted when another DISer gave us his second reservation. We checked in as the Cognovich family, with my 5 year old decked out in her spangliest gown to meet the princesses.

We did Studios the second full day, before there was a giant hat in front of Graumann's. It will be weird to see it like that again when we return on our 8th family trip in December! This time, though, my oldest will have graduated from college and my youngest will be driving over from Sarasota where she's attending college to join us. And they were just 5 and 7 like . . . yesterday.

I was 5 so I don't remember anything. But I've seen pictures and know I was having a good time. I always believed a big part of the reason I grew to love Disney World so much was because all my trips there as a child were very well planned and therefore stress free. It sounds like you planned well so I'm sure your kids will have a blast :)

I had been to Disney as a kid, but DH and I stayed one night at POR after a cruise in 2010 just to get a taste. At the time, DH had been to Disneyland Paris and Disneyland in California, but never WDW. We were there just for the night and didn't do any parks. We returned the following year in September and stayed 7 days. We also got engaged on that trip! So it was definitely a memorable one for us. Have a great trip!!

My first trip was in July 1997 with my parents when I was 16. The castle was decorated like a cake and I think I liked it. I remember riding Big Thunder Mountain with my dad (fun!) and I also enjoyed Alien Encounter and Tower of Terror. Oddly, I don't remember too many other attractions aside from the Indiana Jones show and The Great Movie Ride. We stayed at the Dixie Landings resort but I don't remember too much about it. I didn't like the food in the parks and I don't think I was that impressed with WDW overall because it rained constantly. Maybe that's why I didn't return until 2012 but now I'm hooked! :)

I was 11, and it was the first big family vacation we had taken. It was August of 2000, so there were a lot of people for the Millennium Celebration. My brother and sister were 7 and 8, and very disinterested in going on most rides, except things like the Carousel and Tea Cups. I know we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and we spent most afternoons at the pool while my dad napped. I remember LOVING meeting the characters, and my brother being super excited to meet the Green Army Men from Toy Story, but I don't remember most of the rides. My most vivid memory is of getting about half way to the Tower of Terror and hearing people scream, and immediately leaving the line and going back to my family, who were waiting at the end of the queue.

I returned in August 2014 and absolutely loved it!

My parents took my sister and I in April of 1989 - I was in 10 years old. We stayed offsite at an Ecolodge and went to Sea World, Gatorland, Cypress Gardens, and Disney World. It was a month before MGM/DHS opened and I remember catching a glimpse of the Earffel Tower. Other things I remember - riding the Peoplemover and going through the Space Mountain part (and thinking that was "just like" riding the rollercoaster! :) ) In Epcot we were picked to be part of a show, which had my dad, sister, and I doing funny things in front of a green screen. I remember riding the Skyway and Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

It was after attending a conference in Anaheim in 2005 and visiting Disneyland with some work friends that I was truly bit by the Disney bug. I came home, telling my husband we HAD to take our son to Disney World (my hsuband had never gone to a Disney park before - his family didn't travel). The next year we took our 4 year old son and went with my parents and sister and that was the start of MANY trips! I remember that first trip we had a meltdown our first day - we got to MK at rope drop and we just couldn't tear ourselves away. After going on rides all day, watching Spectromagic parade, and then trying to do Wishes... yeah, it wasn't pretty! But we learned to pace ourselves better.

We went back a year later, just the 3 of us, for a bit of a do-over trip and I think that was probably the best trip we ever had - free dining, celebrating our anniversary and my DH birthday, and our son took a Disney class at MK. We ended up with so many magical moments from that trip - riding in the front of the monorail (which they no longer do), having a diver at the Coral Reef swim up to our table with a birthday/anniversary message from me to my husband (they no longer do this either), going into the MK before the park opened with our son's class and him and another boy running up a practically empty Main Street, DS getting to ride Barnstormer with Pluto, DS being picked to fight Darth Vader (this was before you did sign ups so it was luck being picked), and so much more!

Enjoy your trip and have a magical time with your family!

I was just a baby on my first trip, so I don't remember.

I was 2 on my next trip and we stayed at Poly.

The first trip I remember was when I was 4. We stayed at the Poly and I distinctly remember begging my dad to take me on Space Mountain. I was tall enough. My dad was terrified to bring me on :).

You will have a blast. Don't forget to take moments and enjoy your surroundings. It's magical. I've been there many times and it's still so magical. Really, every time is still as exciting as when I was little.

My first trip was in the summer of 1972. I was seven at the time, but remember it like it was yesterday. I remember having the ticket books and depending on which book you bought- that determined how many rides you could do. Except for "If you had Wings", the Eastern Airlines ride (now Buzz Lightyear). It seems like that was a free ride and didn't require a ticket. I remember that because it was so hot that we stayed on this for the air conditioning. I remember standing in long line for Country Bear Jamboree, and amazed by the animals. Buying an imitation Davy Crockett Rifle and coonskin cap. Watching the greatest fireworks I had ever seen. At the end of the day- just as we exited the monorail, there was a black out and the only lights you saw was the Castle. Everything was pitch black, except for that massive structure right there in the middle. I was terrified. As for hotel- we stayed off site and when we arrived at our original hotel, we found out it was still under construction so they sent us to Clermont. The most I remember was that "Magical" feeling and that has stuck with me for all these years. We now camp at Fort Wilderness at least once a year. I wish I could of seen it during these early years.

My first trip was at age 13 & I don't recall a lot from that three day trip.

Our first family trip: DD was five years old, just past her birthday. We stayed atrium club level at Contemporary Resort. DH said this would be our only trip, so do it up right! We had a 6 night/7 day trip. We did every character meal available except Beach club, did DlxDP & had so many snack credits left over at the end of our trip! I bought lots of snacks just outside of Soarin' on the last morning of our trip. We would do TS for breakfast and dinner & CS for lunch. We had park hoppers. We took a break in the room every day after lunch. We thought DD would nap, but instead she laid on the bed & watched Disney cartoon shorts all afternoon! Then she napped a couple of nights while we waited for dinner reservations. We woke up & went to bed pretty much on our regular schedule. We did 1/2 day at DTD & 1/2 day at Typhoon Lagoon, but on different days. We just did things as we came to them and we had a great trip. We watched MK fireworks from our room balcony a couple of nights. DH was hooked & said we would be back again, before we even finished the trip! I planned that trip for two years. By the time we got there, we just made sure we were at our ADR's early and the rest we just were winging it. Best family vacation we'd ever had. We decided we would go back for DD's every five year birthday. We didn't make it five years!

We've been twice since then: One trip we pulled our camper down to FW with another couple who has two girls, on fall break. Second trip we took our mothers with us for DD's 10th birthday & stayed at ASMusic, family suite. Next trip we've planned is with DH's sister & her family. There will be nine of us, all Disney adults, and we plan to get a two bedroom suite at OKW so we can all be together. It will be a first trip for three of the five kids.

We have a few things we try to do every trip, but we do new things too. We've done at least one character meal on each trip & we've always done F! dinner package. We've had more resort time the more trips we take. We always buy a Christmas ornament. DH & DD have started pin trading. So much to do, so little time, but we try not to rush anything. You can't enjoy it if you are running around with a rigid schedule.

My first trip was back in the early 80's and I was 8yo. We stayed offsite in Kissimmee, drove in everyday and parked way out in the MK lot. We took the tram up to the TTC and then waited in huge lines to ride the ferry or monorail up to the park entrance. It was peak summer so it was super hot, and lines were LONG. We waited over 2 hours for Space Mountain! Got off and got right back in line to do it again lol!! All that sounds miserable to me now but it was an awesome trip!!

OP, it sounds like you have done some great planning. I hope you have a wonderful trip! My first trip taking my kids is still my favorite WDW vacation. Like someone else mentioned, seeing their little faces just experiencing pure delight is precious and you will never forget it :love:

I went twice as a child for the day and a few times as a teen/young adult to Night of Joy, but my first vacation was in 2003.

We had 3 kids at the time, ages 5 months, 2, and 3. We brought a full size single stroller and a double stroller. We stayed at All Star Music(for like $59 a night) and had play 4 days passes, which back then was $109 with hopping for 4 days.

We went to magic kingdom and animal kingdom, I can't remember if we went to the other parks. I think maybe HS, but I don't have any pictures to prove it. We ate at crystal palace and counter service. I had plannedusing all ears and only knew enough to help and not all that I know now that makes things less magical. It was the most fun we have ever had, nothing beats the first trip for me.

First onsite visit I paid $69 a night at CBR (1989) when a moderate was a moderate

In April 2005 we took our DDs 3 and 6 to WDW for the first time. We stayed at Homewood Suites because of the free breakfast, light supper, and shuttle. There was an early shuttle to MK, a mid-morning one to Epcot, a 6:30 pm shuttle from MK, and a 10:00 pm shuttle from Epcot. That was it. So our first day was MK rope drop to 6:30. Second day we took the Epcot morning shuttle and then monorailed to MK to catch the 6:30 shuttle since the other one was too late for us. Third day we did MK again and that was it! We did a towncar for the airport runs (no ME then anyway!).

We had a fabulous time. The girls loved the princesses and the rides. We had breakfast in Cinderella Castle as the very first thing we did, and ate at Akershus on our Epcot day. They were picked to be Chip and Mrs. Potts in Belle's storytime. DD6 met Goofy for the first time, in a hug that lifted her off the ground and he's been her favorite character ever since. The shuttles were something we just dealt with, and it was alright to get back at a decent time to a free supper and some pool time. But, after doing more reading here I decided we could do it better the next time so we went again in December 2006, staying onsite and have stayed onsite ever since.

My first visit to WDW was back in 2002 (I was 10 at the time) with my grandparents and my brothers and sisters, we stayed for a week at POR. I remember meeting Rafiki in the lobby of our resort.

I can remember parts of my first time so clearly...
I was 12. June of 1988 my family of 4 (mom, dad and brother), my grandmother, my 2-year-old cousin, my aunt and 2 cousins visiting from San Francisco. We piled into my dad's van and drove from Toronto and rented a villa likely in the Kissimee area. Obviously prior to car seat and seat belt rule enforcement. It took 3 days to get there and I have no idea why my aunt and cousins wanted to join us for the long ride. What kills me is that my aunt didn't even want to take my cousins to the park because it was too expensive! I feel bad for them to this day.
My family did MK and Epcot over 3 days. We brought packed lunches and walked dawn until well into the night. My top memories include Space Mountain, and EPCOT! It was my favourite and still is. Loved Captain EO, the jumping fountains, Mexico pavillion, Spaceship Earth. Basically everything at Epcot. I remember the Electrical Light Parade! Wow!
Since I have been as a Disney Store cast member about 7 times.
I am bringing my family for the first time in December (hubbie is a virgin, 2 boys 6 and 8) and I am so excited for them.

my first trip was 2 weeks ago! we stayed at the polynesian, did a ton of ADRs and bascially planned to the hilt. it was awesome!!! i hope you have a great time. we did all 4 parks, great restaurants, lots of fun rides. it was a blast!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter