Test post

Luke Lin

Earning My Ears
Had a great time at Aulani this past week, only complicated by a case of hot tub folliculitis. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Last edited:
Well that's not what I wanted to hear with our checkin around the corner. Did you contact Aulani and tell them that they have an issue?

We did. Only one person in our party of 10 was affected -- our 6 year old, who complained of pain and itching for the last 3 days of our stay. It is 90% cleared up now, but it was not fun to deal with. After a fair amount of Google university research, it doesn't seem like an Aulani specific problem, more of a "hot tubs are disgusting cesspools that should be avoided by everyone in general" problem.

Anyway, this was the official Aulani response:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns regarding the experience of your family, particularly your son (redacted). I am truly sorry that he was unable to fully enjoy the last few days of your Aulani vacation due to the skin condition that you described. As you likely know, the Safety of everyone at our resort is our number one focus, so I will definitely be taking a deeper look into our water chemistry for all features during your stay to see if there was anything out of the ordinary, including for the Ka Maka Spa as you mentioned (redacted) spent the most time in this area. I hope it is a bit reassuring to know that we do have very strict guidelines for all pools and hot tubs water chemistry and we drain and fully refill all water in each hot tub regularly. I hope your son is feeling better, and I have provided my contact information below in case you would like to discuss further any questions or concerns that you might have. Again, we appreciate your feedback to ensure the Safety of our guests and hope to host you at Aulani again soon.

Never heard of this. What are the symptoms?

Never heard of this. What are the symptoms?

It’s an infection of the hair follicle(s) it can happen from any warm body of water. Shaving makes someone more susceptible, also being a child. Pseudo bacteria is typically responsible and as that bacteria enjoys warm wet environments many people get it from hot tubs or even regular tubs that are not cleaned properly.

The infection is self limiting 95% of the time however if it appears severe with many red itchy/pus filled lesions it may require check up with your primary care. It can become systemic but that is extremely rare again your primary care would know.

Patients often get concerned thinking it’s bug bites and make an appointment but often it just requires symptomatic management. Really this is not an Aulani problem it can happen anywhere with warm water that many people share however cleaning hot tubs thoroughly does reduce the chance.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter