"TGMR"--- Evacuated Today--- Scary !!

I'm less concerned about foreign terrorists than our own homegrown variety. Foreign attacks seem to target political, financial, and military institutions. Our domestic terrorists like to shoot up schools, churches, and movie theaters.
Oh really, so which miltary, political, or financial targets were the foreign terrorists going after in the Boston Marathon bombing ? Or how about the train bombings in Europe? I'm not going to live my life in fear. But, I am also not going to pretend like there aren't people who hate the American way of life and want to harm us. Because of my law enforcement training, I always try to be aware of what is going on around me, especially at WDW.

Oh really, so which miltary, political, or financial targets were the foreign terrorists going after in the Boston Marathon bombing ? Or how about the train bombings in Europe? I'm not going to live my life in fear. But, I am also not going to pretend like there aren't people who hate the American way of life and want to harm us. Because of my law enforcement training, I always try to be aware of what is going on around me, especially at WDW.
I said I was LESS concerned about foreign attacks than domestic. You're right, the Boston Marathon attack was carried out by foreigners. But I still think there's a greater risk of some mentally unstable US citizen going on a shooting spree than a foreign attack on WDW.
Regardless, I hope we never see the day for either scenario.

People were getting frustrated at MK bag check today because the security person was taking everything out of every bag he searched. I thought I just picked the wrong line (as I usually do). Now I'm wondering if something was up.

Agreed. You can always tell the folks that are either military or police trained. Eyes on everything as far as surroundings go noticing everything.

I wasn't disputing that WDW could be vulnerable to a violent attack or outburst. My remark was about it being vulnerable because it is "about as American as it gets" as if that's the reason it would be targeted. My point is that it's as likely (maybe even MORE likely, IMO) for a disgruntled mentally unstable US citizen to target WDW as it is a foreign terrorist group.
Ugh. But even thinking about it makes me sick.

We are getting close to the 911 anniversary so I am sure that airports, trains, etc. are going to see an increase in security visability.

As others have said, you have to live your life but with an added new awareness.

Last edited:

We just finished spending 9 nights at Disney and I was thinking about the whole security process of getting into the parks, I know they go thru your bags but anyone(s) can carry a firearm(s) on them, it's not like they make people go thru a metal detector. After I realized that, I didn't feel as safe. Security is always looking and squeezing your bags, probably feeling for a firearm but meanwhile anyone can carry one in on their person.

We just finished spending 9 nights at Disney and I was thinking about the whole security process of getting into the parks, I know they go thru your bags but anyone(s) can carry a firearm(s) on them, it's not like they make people go thru a metal detector. After I realized that, I didn't feel as safe. Security is always looking and squeezing your bags, probably feeling for a firearm but meanwhile anyone can carry one in on their person.
Yes, but the same is true for most places we go in the course of a day. Supermarkets, restaurants, college campuses, shopping malls, parks, movie theaters, churches, concerts, or just walking around our cities and towns.

Yes, but the same is true for most places we go in the course of a day. Supermarkets, restaurants, college campuses, shopping malls, parks, movie theaters, churches, concerts, or just walking around our cities and towns.

Yes, I agree but those places they don't check your bags before you enter like they do at Disney. My point is they check your bags at Disney but someone can really bring something in anyway.

Could you hear the announcement ? Did they really say to evacuate the cars immediately? Wow.

There is no reason to flame the OP. Keep it civil, folks.

Last edited:
I wonder if it could possibly be a drill? Maybe it was a performance measure to see how fast an attraction like that can be evacuated?

The one thing I noticed about bag check is that some were way "better" at it than others. We don't have kids so I get a chance to observe a lot. There was one security officer at bag check at EPCOT when we were there last year that was the guy you wanted at every station to keep things out of the park that didn't belong. He was an expert at distraction techniques and watching those who went through his line, I don't think people even realized how thoroughly he was going through their stuff. I think this guy surely had a previous law enforcement or military career. He was really sharp.

Agreed. You can always tell the folks that are either military or police trained. Eyes on everything as far as surroundings go noticing everything.

:rotfl: I'm having a little chuckle at this statement because its so true. My partner falls into that category and believe it or not when we were at Typhoon Lagoon he actually spotted some bag dippers and helped apprehend them (with Disney security of course). I am pretty oblivious to those sort of things.

but meanwhile anyone can carry one in on their person.

And sadly this is why that guy was able to hide a handgun into Universal Studios Hollywood a couple of months back. It was pretty horrific that he commuted suicide but thank goodness he didn't injure anyone else.

The evacuation sounded pretty scary! But i'm glad nothing came of it. Best be safe than sorry :)

My partner falls into that category and believe it or not when we were at Typhoon Lagoon he actually spotted some bag dippers and helped apprehend them (with Disney security of course). I am pretty oblivious to those sort of things.

Ok, I'm not up on some of the lingo I guess, so I gotta ask:
What's a "bag dipper"? And why must they be apprehended?

Thanks,
Now back to lurker mode....
April

Ok, I'm not up on some of the lingo I guess, so I gotta ask:
What's a "bag dipper"? And why must they be apprehended?

Thanks,
Now back to lurker mode....
April

I'd think bag dipper is a more accurate term for pickpocket.

Haha, I guess I've been around him long enough I've picked up some of his lingo. He says the people he saw at typhoon lagoon were stealing stuff from people's bags, sneaky like, hence why he used the term bag dippers. But he says they're essentially they are the same as pick pockets.

He's very observant like that.

Ok... Duh... That make's sense. And I suppose if I'd thought about it I'd probably figured it out.

Thanks.

If you don't think there are metal detectors, cameras everywhere, and trained security within seconds of activity, you are living in a dream world. WDW is a natural target and always has been. Sad. And true.

Mid 80's Disneyland did major bag checks. Of course they also didn't allow any outside foods at that time but what was really frightening on July 4 they walked the tracks on the indoor rides, assumed they were searching for bombs as there had been quite a number of terrorist attacks around that time. About that same time is when large sporting events started doing bag checks too.
This is the sad world we've been living in for quite a long time now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter