The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Well, all good things must come to an end, so they say, but not in this case. It was just the beginning of a glorious nearly month-long vacation beginning with a wonderful, fun-filled, extended weekend at Disney, California!
Well, unfortunately, since you're home, it did eventually have to come to an end, but almost a month is pretty cool...I think the longest vacation I ever took was Italy for 12 days.

We spent a few short hours trying to catch some sleep at my apartment (always an act of futility before flying for me)
I would expect it to be an act of futility before Disney.

at 3:00AM on the dot we pulled out of the lot and were on our way.
Yep, that's early. As we said in the military, oh dark hundred.

Somewhere along the way, Kari informed me she had upgraded to first class, or whatever Alaska calls it, and I gave her the appropriate stink eye as I boarded. She was adequately remorseful (you can tell by the well-disguised smirk).
Yep, I can totally tell she's remorseful. @Malia78 , next time can you look a little more happy??? You're in first class.

into my entire row for a 2-hour nap LAYING DOWN while we flew to Santa Ana.
Score! Best flight I ever had was a red eye from Korea to the states on a 747. Ended up getting the entire middle row (I'm a bit taller than you). Put pillows in each seat and then blankets over them and it was quite comfy.

But we are extra
Extra what?

Because I suck, I forgot my sunglasses
At least it wasn't undies again

Ironically, it was Kari who ended up using them for most of the trip because A) I need prescription sunnies (I forgot mine in my glovebox) and B) she had “lost” hers at Alison’s. (They ended up being found on Alison’s driveway the next day.)
Yeah, sunglasses for me are either clip on, flip style or the spring loaded that clip to the sides. Haven't been able to wear just regular sunglasses for a LONG time. :sad:

We chicks!
Two lovely chicks.

I put in my carpetbag-style bag
sorry, I'm going to have to look this up. never head of carpet bag style.

Kari and I travel well together (at least I think so)
Yeah, her in first class and you sleeping...that's together? :lmao:

Map be damned.
We don't need not stinking map!

Disney did a whiz-bang job on theming and Imagineering of details, but after spending 3 or 4 visits there now (including the Florida portions of my trip) I’m in no hurry to go back.
I'm not a fanatic Star Wars fan, but I am definitely a BIGGER fan of the original movies. The newer stuff, not as much. Being able to stand next to the Falcon was pretty cool. Seeing all the details was pretty cool. I enjoyed the ride, but doubt I'm in a hurry to go back right away either. DW is not a big SW fan, so who knows when she'll want to go.

The ride is fun, but nowhere near worth more than a 45ish-minute wait.
My brother and I went during the AP preview and the longest wait we had was 30 min and I liked it just to see the SB queue and all the details. I rode it 6 times, but most of that was single rider and 5 minute wait at most.

it is simply a gigantic money-grabbing blackhole.
::yes:: Agree 110%

it really feels like a giant, over-priced gift shop with cool theming.
Only because it is. They had a stainless mixing bowl decorated like R2-D2's head, but it was outrageously priced (even with a DVC or AP discount). Again, agree 110%.

I am not a Star Wars hyper-fan, so perhaps it would be more enjoyable for those folks.
I'm not a SW hyper fan either. More so than you, I think...I was a Jedi for MNSSHP after all, but although it looks a lot like the SW world, the prices MORE than remind you you're at Disney.

The venue itself is super cute and VERY well-themed. 8D-J8, the droid, is turning a spit of roasting “Nuna” beast complete with claws all trussed up cute-like. The podracer engine used to provide the fire is super cool. I love the open-air design and the little touches of street-food flair they’ve added to it.
Looking at these pictures and the ones from the queue for SR, it would seem they were very consistent in the design of these areas in both locations. Looking at the pictures, if you hadn't told me, I would have thought I was looking at SWGE Florida.

It’s great to be back with you, Friends, but wish I was still in Florida soaking up all the warm sunshine.
Ummm...it was great to have you back HERE soaking up the sunshine. Wish we'd had more time together, but I also wanted to respect your time with your kids. Enjoyed the time we had.

Wow what a nice long trip you took! Happy to see you back on the boards!

I am a huge SW fan and I have to agree with your report so far! I found it a commercialized money grabbing area in some way and totally immersive and detailed in other ways, if that makes sense? I thought SR-MF was just okay, I didn’t like pressing buttons as an engineer. I find FOP much more enjoyable!

I hate unpacking, yuck! I’m impressed with all you got done this week! The unpacking can wait, haha! I would be exhausted jumping back into a 40+ work week :crazy2:

Well, unfortunately, since you're home, it did eventually have to come to an end, but almost a month is pretty cool...I think the longest vacation I ever took was Italy for 12 days.

I am lucky enough to have accrued a TON of PTO before my Disney blitz started. I still have a fair bit, but will be rather careful with it henceforth.

I would expect it to be an act of futility before Disney.

I just can't sleep before travel. THere's a fair amount of stewing to be done.

Yep, that's early. As we said in the military, oh dark hundred.

Too early!

Yep, I can totally tell she's remorseful. @Malia78 , next time can you look a little more happy??? You're in first class.

Never done first class. Might be nice if I did it with points or something.

Score! Best flight I ever had was a red eye from Korea to the states on a 747. Ended up getting the entire middle row (I'm a bit taller than you). Put pillows in each seat and then blankets over them and it was quite comfy.

Done a few of those myself with trans-Atlantic flights to and from Thailand or home through Frankfurt from Crapistan.

Extra what?

Just... extra.

At least it wasn't undies again

ARe you sure....?

Yeah, sunglasses for me are either clip on, flip style or the spring loaded that clip to the sides. Haven't been able to wear just regular sunglasses for a LONG time. :sad:

I looked all week x2 for some. They simply are not sold at Disney.

sorry, I'm going to have to look this up. never head of carpet bag style.

This shape:

Yeah, her in first class and you sleeping...that's together? :lmao:

Maybe that's why we travel so well together. LOL!

I'm not a fanatic Star Wars fan, but I am definitely a BIGGER fan of the original movies. The newer stuff, not as much. Being able to stand next to the Falcon was pretty cool. Seeing all the details was pretty cool. I enjoyed the ride, but doubt I'm in a hurry to go back right away either. DW is not a big SW fan, so who knows when she'll want to go.

Yep, about sums it up.

My brother and I went during the AP preview and the longest wait we had was 30 min and I liked it just to see the SB queue and all the details. I rode it 6 times, but most of that was single rider and 5 minute wait at most.

I/we probably could have ridden more, but it just wasn't amazing enough to do so.

Only because it is. They had a stainless mixing bowl decorated like R2-D2's head, but it was outrageously priced (even with a DVC or AP discount). Again, agree 110%.

Just no. I can do without over-priced stuff like that.

Looking at these pictures and the ones from the queue for SR, it would seem they were very consistent in the design of these areas in both locations. Looking at the pictures, if you hadn't told me, I would have thought I was looking at SWGE Florida.

From the blogs I've read, they are almost identical. I'd imagine some of the landscaping is different, but probably not my much.
Ummm...it was great to have you back HERE soaking up the sunshine. Wish we'd had more time together, but I also wanted to respect your time with your kids. Enjoyed the time we had.
I was walking a VERY fine line with them as it was. Although I did notice a few times they chose to sleep in while I struck out on my own in the early mornings. It was bliss!

Wow what a nice long trip you took! Happy to see you back on the boards!

Thanks! It's so great to be here!

I am a huge SW fan and I have to agree with your report so far! I found it a commercialized money grabbing area in some way and totally immersive and detailed in other ways, if that makes sense? I thought SR-MF was just okay, I didn’t like pressing buttons as an engineer. I find FOP much more enjoyable!

It absolutely makes sense. 100%. It left a sour taste in my mouth and yet, I can appreciate the details and effort they made. Having said that, it's not enough to keep me coming back over and over. FOP is so visually beautiful and transports you to another world WITHOUT the distractions and work that MF:SR makes you do.

I hate unpacking, yuck! I’m impressed with all you got done this week! The unpacking can wait, haha! I would be exhausted jumping back into a 40+ work week :crazy2:
All, my bags unpacked
I'm ready to cry
I'm sitting here on my couch
I hate to get off of my duff to work....

I have a feeling that I will come out of SW:GE with much the same feeling, but I'm excited to give it a try in December when we visit. Everything I've been reading and seeing from other people seems to mirror what you said, as well.

You sure jumped right back into reality! It's no wonder you weren't able to get unpacked, having to work so many hours right away. Hopefully you're all set in that area now and Disney depression hasn't set it on you yet!!

Totally agree with your reviews of SWGE. I loved the detail and all the cool "stuff" you could buy...but don't really need it....it's a fun place to visit, but I think Disney spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on something that could be just...more of an experience than just a giant way to suck more money from everyone....sigh...seems like everything is going that way!! I will probably visit SWGE on any Disney trips, but it's not going to be THE reason to go!

I have a feeling that I will come out of SW:GE with much the same feeling, but I'm excited to give it a try in December when we visit. Everything I've been reading and seeing from other people seems to mirror what you said, as well.

Oh, I DEFINITELY think everyone should visit it, no doubt about it. There is a LOT of wonderful, fine detailing that is not to be missed, but aside from looking... there is only spending to be done. The ride is worth a 30 minute wait tops. After that, an occasional dip in to admire the novelty is enough. At least for me.

You sure jumped right back into reality! It's no wonder you weren't able to get unpacked, having to work so many hours right away. Hopefully you're all set in that area now and Disney depression hasn't set it on you yet!!
I did, and in an hour, I start it all over again. With my extra job, I'm more than plenty busy!

Totally agree with your reviews of SWGE. I loved the detail and all the cool "stuff" you could buy...but don't really need it....it's a fun place to visit, but I think Disney spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on something that could be just...more of an experience than just a giant way to suck more money from everyone....sigh...seems like everything is going that way!! I will probably visit SWGE on any Disney trips, but it's not going to be THE reason to go!
Exactly this! I am still far more drawn to WS, AK by a long shot, and even other lands like Adventureland and Frontierland. I have other merchandise that gets my attention, and even over that, I'd rather spend my money on nicer sit-down meals.

Welcome back! Sounds like a good trip! And yes, I do want to see SWGE sometime, but I'm not in any big hurry, for all the reasons you said. I'm definitely more a fan of the original SW movies than the current stuff, so I won't recognize a lot of the more recent references, I suspect. Dh and ds would appreciate those details way more than me (and dd barely knows the basic characters). Of course, I still haven't seen Pandora yet, either!

Welcome back!

It was just the beginning of a glorious nearly month-long vacation beginning with a wonderful, fun-filled, extended weekend at Disney, California!

Perfect way to start a WDW vacation.

Because I suck, I forgot my sunglasses, but our Lyft driver had me covered and handed me some, telling me they were now mine.

I hate when I forget my sunglasses.

Ironically, it was Kari who ended up using them for most of the trip because A) I need prescription sunnies (I forgot mine in my glovebox) and B) she had “lost” hers at Alison’s.

This would be my problem too. I have prescription glasses too.

The park is so beautiful all dressed up for Fall. I LOVE the Autumn decorations at Disney parks more than any other time of year!

Love your fall pictures. Fall colors are my favorite.

My take on SW:GE? I am going to have to be brutally honest here…

I enjoyed your review. I enjoy Star Wars but I'm not a mega fan. I'm looking forward to seeing all the details but I don't think it will be somewhere I will spend a great deal of time every trip.

We ended up at Ronto’s Roasters after our ride, both of us trying to keep costs down to a bare minimum for food.

The food actually sounds pretty good.

The venue itself is super cute and VERY well-themed.

Love all the details found here.

Good start to your trip reporting.

I'm actually happy ROTR wont be open for me in Disneyland when DH and I go in November. Like you I have enjoyed my time in Batuu but there's not much drawing me back like I HAVE TO BE THERE RIGHT NOW! lol For our first Disneyland experience I really don't want to waste a lot of time roaming around there when we've done that many times over in WDW! I do enjoy the ride though but I agree with the assessment that there is either A. too much going on or B. heckin stressful! lol

Sounds like a successful morning for hopping right off the plane!

I'm actually happy ROTR wont be open for me in Disneyland when DH and I go in November. Like you I have enjoyed my time in Batuu but there's not much drawing me back like I HAVE TO BE THERE RIGHT NOW! lol For our first Disneyland experience I really don't want to waste a lot of time roaming around there when we've done that many times over in WDW! I do enjoy the ride though but I agree with the assessment that there is either A. too much going on or B. heckin stressful! lol

Sounds like a successful morning for hopping right off the plane!
Agree Cloe. As I mentioned being the pilot is kinda cool, because you somewhat control the outcome, but if you're not a video game nut (like me), it could be VERY stressful. The gunner, does nothing if using auto targeting and the engineer can't do anything, but look at buttons, so doesn't see action on the screen. I think it would have been much better for gunner and engineer, if they had buttons on backs of seats or headrests and then could still see buttons whn they light up, but be able to watch the action too.

The one thing I very much didn't like about being pilot is you only control Left/Right or Up/Down. Again, as a video game person, I think it would have been much better to control both and have the inputs from both pilots work together (or potentially cancel out)...I think this would've been much better design. Just my $.02.

I am a BIG fan of the original movies. Not rabid, but enjoyed a lot. Not a fan of the new stuff (although Rogue One was good). Really, really didn't like the first one because it was basically the same story line with different characters.

Now that I've seen SWGE, I can say, it's very well done, but not going to be clamoring to get back, even as a fan.

Also, since they've made almost everything at HS a tier 1 now, even RnRC and ToT and SDD will be less likely on my radar.

Agree Cloe. As I mentioned being the pilot is kinda cool, because you somewhat control the outcome, but if you're not a video game nut (like me), it could be VERY stressful. The gunner, does nothing if using auto targeting and the engineer can't do anything, but look at buttons, so doesn't see action on the screen. I think it would have been much better for gunner and engineer, if they had buttons on backs of seats or headrests and then could still see buttons whn they light up, but be able to watch the action too.

The one thing I very much didn't like about being pilot is you only control Left/Right or Up/Down. Again, as a video game person, I think it would have been much better to control both and have the inputs from both pilots work together (or potentially cancel out)...I think this would've been much better design. Just my $.02.

I am a BIG fan of the original movies. Not rabid, but enjoyed a lot. Not a fan of the new stuff (although Rogue One was good). Really, really didn't like the first one because it was basically the same story line with different characters.

Now that I've seen SWGE, I can say, it's very well done, but not going to be clamoring to get back, even as a fan.

Also, since they've made almost everything at HS a tier 1 now, even RnRC and ToT and SDD will be less likely on my radar.

I actually had a super stressful first experience as pilot. A woman who had been friendly enough in line ended up getting one of the pilot positions and I got the other. She had already ridden some crazy amount of times and it was my first time through and she spent most of the time yelling at me or critiquing my flying. It really took away from the experience! Especially when I rode it more times and realized a lot of the things she made seem like my fault happen every time through!

I actually had a super stressful first experience as pilot. A woman who had been friendly enough in line ended up getting one of the pilot positions and I got the other. She had already ridden some crazy amount of times and it was my first time through and she spent most of the time yelling at me or critiquing my flying. It really took away from the experience! Especially when I rode it more times and realized a lot of the things she made seem like my fault happen every time through!
Oh, that's horrible. About my 5th or 6th time through, I was fellow pilot with a young girl (17-20 maybe). She seemed quite nervous going in. I told her what I'd learned thus far and what worked and what didn't. She wasn't very good, but then again, I wasn't MY first time either.

When we got done, she made a statement about how good she did. I just bit my tongue and gave her a thumbs up. At that point, what good would it to do to disagree or say anything? I've always told my kids I won't lie to you, but in this case, I didn't lie, I just chose not to say anything. ;)

Also too, if she walked away feeling good about herself rather than feeling she'd let some stranger down, all the better.

Obviously you got paired up with someone who forgot it's a ride and supposed to be fun vs. life or death. :sad:

Interesting concept. So when was this? Medieval? Renaissance? I know that by the Victorian era or American Civil War times pants and underwear were one piece, or at least for reenactors they were. Ladies underwear had a special feature designed to make certain tasks easier when laden down with layers and layers of petticoats. :laughing:
No idea. that was the extent of my knowledge.
After a long delay in Dallas, and more travel still tonight, I’m home-ish. Work oughtta be reeeeeeeally interesting tomorrow.
Welcome home (slightly... okay, a lot delayed.)
I wish I could say I’m happy to be home, but y’all know it stinks coming back from Disney.
Oh, I feel that!

but little did she know the plane would be half empty so I had a little karma party as I settled into my entire row for a 2-hour nap LAYING DOWN while we flew to Santa Ana.

Now that's a win!

Ronto Wrap- roasted pork and grilled pork sausage with peppercorn sauce and tangy slaw wrapped in pita $12.99

I closed my eyes through most of the Star Wars, but opened for this. Looks so yummy, will definitely be trying!

Can't wait to read more of your Disneyland experiences!

It was just the beginning of a glorious nearly month-long vacation beginning with a wonderful, fun-filled, extended weekend at Disney, California!
A month!?!? Whoa! Niiiiice!
(pronounced Car-ee Lynn
Or just Car-ee. :)
at 3:00AM on the dot we pulled out of the lot and were on our way.
3:00am? How nice to be able to sleep in a bit.

:rolleyes1
She was adequately remorseful (you can tell by the well-disguised smirk).
:lmao:
I love that little smirk!
I had a little karma party as I settled into my entire row for a 2-hour nap LAYING DOWN while we flew to Santa Ana.
:rotfl: Full row for the win!!
With no checked luggage, we breezed out of the tiny airport and into a Lyft in 10 minutes.
I've done that once or twice and... I love it! So nice to breeze in and out instead of checking a bag and then hoping it shows up (and waiting for it.)
Because I suck, I forgot my sunglasses,
Whoops. I need mine. And... same as you, prescription.
but our Lyft driver had me covered and handed me some, telling me they were now mine. SCORE!
Nice of him!
she had “lost” hers at Alison’s. (They ended up being found on Alison’s driveway the next day.)
How did that happen?
We chicks!
Pretty ladies!
We landed about 8:30 and were IN SW:GE and OFF MF:SR by 10:00!!!
Wow! fast!
I put in my carpetbag-style bag, my camera bag, and my small purse and there was still about 12 inches of room above that to spare and it was only around $10- far less than checking with Alaska
Huh! That's a ton of room.
and saves a ton of time at the carousel.
At first I was thinking you'd just leave your bag spinning on the carousel while you went to Disney. :laughing:
We spent a few minutes taking photos as we made our way towards the back of the park.
And you got some nice ones, too!
Kari and I travel well together (at least I think so)
You've done that at least twice, I think? You went to California with her when I was there, didn't you?
Oddly, neither of us had the foggiest idea how to get there, so we asked. LOL! Map be damned.
:laughing:
The transition between lands I found to be particulary well done and much smoother than it's Florida sister.
Oh, really! Huh. I just assumed that would be about the same.
My take on SW:GE? I am going to have to be brutally honest here…. Disney did a whiz-bang job on theming and Imagineering of details, but after spending 3 or 4 visits there now (including the Florida portions of my trip) I’m in no hurry to go back.
Hmmm... I've only been once, so don't have the same feeling.
But I think I understand that.
More later...
it is simply a gigantic money-grabbing blackhole.
ouch.
It really feels like a giant, over-priced gift shop with cool theming.
Again... I haven't been often enough, but... yeah... lots of stuff to throw your money at.
I am not a Star Wars hyper-fan, so perhaps it would be more enjoyable for those folks.
This is me as well. I've seen the movies, but... usually just once for the newer ones. And only a handful for the originals.
Anyway, back to our relaxing sort of day. I LOVE that kind of day. After our ride on MF:SM, we simply walked around looking at details, taking photos, and finding some food.
That sounds like a pretty chill day. :)
We ended up at Ronto’s Roasters
I never did eat there.
Ronto Wrap- roasted pork and grilled pork sausage with peppercorn sauce and tangy slaw wrapped in pita $12.99
Dang! That looks good!
The podracer engine used to provide the fire is super cool.
::yes::
my one complaint is that I spent 90% of my time pushing buttons off to the side instead of actually watching the screen/ride in front of me.
Yes! I was an engineer. So not only was I at the back, but I spent most of the ride looking at a bunch of buttons.
So... what's the ride like? I have no idea!
wish I was still in Florida soaking up all the warm sunshine.
Yeah... me too. Snow in the forecast.

Snow!!!

I worked 43.5 hours this week between my 2 jobs and I’m still jet-lagged a little.
:hug:

How great you were able to sneak a weekend in DL before your big trip to Florida. Although, I am always amazed at people who can travel with just a weekender bag. All the discount airlines in Europe run off the precedent that you only bring a carry on, but it still baffles me. Four years in Europe and I still WAY overpack...

The fall decorations at Disneyland look stunning! I think if I ever make it out to the CA parks I'd want to go during the fall season; the parks just seem extra pretty during that time.

Interesting observation about SW:GE. Based on all the reviews I have read, I can completely see it being a big money pit. And I mean, 14 dollars for a glorified hot dog? That right there is kind of baffling.

Oh, that's horrible. About my 5th or 6th time through, I was fellow pilot with a young girl (17-20 maybe). She seemed quite nervous going in. I told her what I'd learned thus far and what worked and what didn't. She wasn't very good, but then again, I wasn't MY first time either.

When we got done, she made a statement about how good she did. I just bit my tongue and gave her a thumbs up. At that point, what good would it to do to disagree or say anything? I've always told my kids I won't lie to you, but in this case, I didn't lie, I just chose not to say anything. ;)

Also too, if she walked away feeling good about herself rather than feeling she'd let some stranger down, all the better.

Obviously you got paired up with someone who forgot it's a ride and supposed to be fun vs. life or death. :sad:

Thankfully I have had better rides since! lol but yeah she definitely forgot we were in Disney and it doesn't matter how it ends up lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter