The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Yummm.... squished bread. The perfect accompaniment to go with squashed fish.

Mmmm!

:laughing:

You know, this is interesting. I went shopping yesterday and went down the condiment aisle and...

There are all the mayo jars all lined up on the non-refrigerated shelves...

So.... just because they're not open... is being refrigerated that important? Unless the may was home made with real eggs...? And even then?...

I really don't know? :confused3 My momma always told me to never eat the potato salad at a picnic on a summer day.

And yet.... sometimes they astound me in very good ways. :)

This is a truism!

No, I meant the original cord that you originally replaced with the one you bought for $40.
Where was that one?

Oh, right there in one of the pockets of my carry-on. One of them anyway.

Of course! Three and a half blocks!

Right!

Yes. I know. Stupid.

Too many gullible people out there.

"I'm not getting my child vaccinated!"
"Why not?"
"My cousin's friend's brother's boss's mother in law's neighbor had their child vaccinated and he died!"
"Oh my gosh! I'm sorry to hear that! Polio?"
"No. Car accident. But he'd just had his shot three years earlier."

Yeah... but... see above comment.
You can lead a horse to water...

My patient told me tonight that her sister has 30% hearing loss in both ears from the chicken pox.

Me too! My eldest DD just had a job interview and she was asked about special needs kids and I mentioned that quote to her. :)

Awww, that's awesome!

Hmmm... spinach doesn't like me, but I don't mind it with other things (not by itself. Boring.)

I like a good spinach salad now and again. With loads of hot bacon dressing.

And yet....

How would you react if you saw someone walking down the street with a very sharp machete in your own home town? ;)

uhh, no. Very much, no.

Not a bad policy when shooting an individual. :)
And I have no idea what rights you would have in SL... but I suspect photography is not high on their list of enforced issues.

Not unless it'd be easy to extract a bribe from the perp.

Oh, geez. That's a huge, unnecessary risk. Then again, he is from there? Maybe he felt that since he didn't take any before that it wasn't necessary? :confused3

Possibly? I didn't ask so don't really know.

... based on that, I'm glad you didn't venture out.

No... dogs are not pets in all parts of the world. At least once every few years we get a report of a child being killed by a wild pack up north.... and not far up north.

Yes, still animals for guarding or other work. Not to snuggle with.

You and I follow many of the same threads so I clicked on your trip report link and am now all caught up. There's simply too much to comment on so I'll just say that I'm all caught up and looking forward to more.

Well, a VERY big welcome to you!

:welcome::welcome::welcome: (<very large welcome, yes?)

I have noticed that too! :) I"m so glad you're here and that you are reading along! Please comment as you can; it makes it way more fun when people do!

:hyper2:

Wouldn't that be something?

It certainly would. :rolleyes:

That poor woman. She must have been inspiring.

I admire anyone who can be an overcomer of such horrific circumstances.

I think as you said, the answer is always somewhere in the middle. Sometimes, government can be a very effective answer to a problem. Sometimes, government is the problem. Sometimes, it's not clear. Much of the divide between conservatives and liberals comes down to where the line exists between the responsibility for a solution falling on the individual or falling on the collective.

I couldn't agree more!

Uh oh. This sounds awful.

It truly was. :(

Hello, hello, hello!

Most of you probably know me. The most famousest of Steppe's lurkers. And her partner in Africa! I'll see you around.

Mom, you forgot that most of the soldiers during the Civil War were on drugs and usually high when assaulting children.
You are 100% right. I did forget and oy, now need to do a bit of research. Hope you'll post more as the story unfolds. :)

I liked only because Bekka responded :wave: Bekka.
I wish I could dis-like as well, because being on drugs makes you do different things, but I can't imagine drugs making you want to hurt people...I think that's already there and the drugs remove the morality of knowing it's wrong. I could be wrong, but nasty drunks are usually nasty people to begin with.
Just my opinion.

100% agreed!

Yep, have to agree to a point. But a desire to hurt people has to be there first. I'd say that kind of stimulus would very well pish a person who wouldn't have otherwise acted on the desire. I have lots more thoughts on the issue but if you don't mind I'd like to keep from spamming moms thread. Feel free to message me though!

I love a good dialogue. :)

No spamming. Spam is horrible in all its variants. ;)

We're saying the same thing...the drugs or alcohol remove the inhibitions of a mean person and the mean manifests itself.

We have mixed reviews on the Spam factor. I'm pretty sure you either love it or hate it with no in between.

Aaaaaaand we have consensus!

You should all ask mom what a spam boat is.

Mmm, I've shared that before here. Totes making those this week.

Ummm...she may be mom to you, but she's Queen Steppe to the rest of us. :lmao:

Or, I could be like the movie "Home" and start calling her "My mom". ;)

And don't you forget it! This tiara is yuuuuge!!! :lmao:

Okay, fine. Confession time. I'm sloooooowly learning to like a bit of beer things. I've kinda learned to like the grapefruit beer like this:
sh-bottle.png

And am trying out some porters that are okay. I don't love them, but can drink one if someone asks to share. Bitter, hoppy? Just no.

Sounds like we're on the same side of this food debate, for once!

Went to see comedian Jim Gaffigan in concert last year. His wife actually had a cancer scare and amazingly he worked that into his comedy routine.

"They always compare tumors to fruit. I think it's because they took one look at me and thought, 'Well, this guy ain't gonna understand centimeters. He's probably seen a pear before, though.'

Interesting fact: the grapefruit--worst tumor. Worst fruit."

Ummm...she may be mom to you, but she's Queen Steppe to the rest of us. :lmao:

Or, I could be like the movie "Home" and start calling her "My mom". ;)

Haha, I'll have to remember that to avoid confusion. Or wait... . Does that make me a Disney Princess?!! Boom baby!

I have eaten lots of elk (I think Canadians call that wapiti?)
I don't think I've ever had elk. We don't have elk in the east. Maybe they call it wapiti in the west? I have heard that name though.

we are in short supply of moose here. ;) Is it like a gamy beef?
Yes, I guess the best way to describe moose is gamy beef. It's actually very lean and supposedly healthy. I don't eat it often. Since it's so lean I don't like the steaks that much, I find them a bit lacking in flavour.

Haha, I'll have to remember that to avoid confusion. Or wait... . Does that make me a Disney Princess?!! Boom baby!
I already considered you a princess (as the daughter of the queen), so adding Disney in front of that isn't difficult. ;)

I already considered you a princess (as the daughter of the queen), so adding Disney in front of that isn't difficult. ;)
Perfect, then I'll pull out my tiaras (I have 5) out and dust them off. Not only am I a Disney Princess, but I'm an oldest Daughter, and therefore The Most Important.

Just like the bread momma used to step on.

I really don't know? :confused3 My momma always told me to never eat the potato salad at a picnic on a summer day.

Probably because back then it really was dangerous... home made mayo as opposed to store bought?

Oh, right there in one of the pockets of my carry-on. One of them anyway.

:lmao:

My patient told me tonight that her sister has 30% hearing loss in both ears from the chicken pox.

Huh.
Both my girls had it so moot point. The vaccine for that was just coming out then. We weren't sure about it and.... then it didn't matter.

I like a good spinach salad now and again. With loads of hot bacon dressing.

I like a good spinach salad too! I like to be far away from my mouth.

(Do not tell me that I can shove it up my *** instead!)

Not unless it'd be easy to extract a bribe from the perp.

Funny. I did think about that. You might be more likely to be stopped.
"You can't take photos of people. It's against the law (That I just made up so I can extort money from you.)"

Now back to my (un)regularly scheduled tsunami warning monitoring....

Saw that. Glad it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Interesting fact: the grapefruit--worst tumor. Worst fruit."

Disagree. I just bought two for a couple of breakfasts. Yum!

What he said.
The daughter of a queen is a princess by definition.
And... Ya wanna be a Disney Princess? Apparently all you absolutely must do... is never say "I don't know."

I don't think I've ever had elk. We don't have elk in the east. Maybe they call it wapiti in the west? I have heard that name though.

Had elk. Tasty. But not as good as caribou.

You know who calls elk, wapiti?

No one.

It does come from a First Nation word. And "elk" is actually from Europe... for moose. Because they saw those animals here and because of their size (they ain't small) they thought they were related to moose and not deer.

Just wanted to check in.

I am still reading, but the commenting has become pretty much non-existant. Between school and health, my butt is duley kicked!

School this semester is the make it or break it semester, so not much time for anything other than school work.

I love the ability that you have to see beauty when you are surrounded by poverty and dispair. The flower picture at the end of your last update, well, it really made me stop and think about how every where you look, if you look hard enough, there is something beautiful to be found.

G is for: Go Big or Go Home!

I admit it. I can be an overachiever, overcommited, and over-zealous. It’s just who I am. So, it comes as no surprise that I get behind here on the DIS as I pursue other things life has to offer. I am happy to say, I’ve started studying again for my Private Pilot’s Written Exam, and hope to begin to fly this Spring.

Meanwhile, our family is planning a trip this summer to the Zion and Bryce National Parks. While I am excited to do some photography there, I’m also itching to get back to Disney. It is a possibility that I might be able to take my folks there next Fall, but that is a definitely not set in stone- just an idea at this point. Plus waiting for some other things to fall into place. They’ve hinted to me a couple of times recently about wanting to go back, so we’ll see. Meantime, I’m headed back to DLR in April for a fun little DISMeet with good friends and fun times planned.

Other irons in the fire: I’m starting to be trained in a new area for me at work- Pre-Op. That’s the first stage of the surgical process where you sign consents, the RN confirms allergies, medical history, does a brief physical exam, and generally confirms you are still a candidate for the procedure, starts the IV, etc… I’m scared to death, but also at the same time ready for a new challenge at work. We are also moving to a brand new facility in February. Everyone is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper excited to have a new and much bigger place to call home.

I’m also having to work a ton more nights that I don’t love but, well…. it’s the position I accepted when I officially went part time last Summer. It’s working out to be about once a week, which isn’t too bad, but definitely takes a toll on my sleep patterns. But, I like the differential and the quiet of the place at night.

Hmm, let’s see, what else is on my proverbial plate? I have one kid who needs to take their written Driver’s Permit test, and another who needs to take the driving portion of their License Exam. May I just say here and now that, of all the things I have to do with the State Govt., the DMV is the crappiest. The processes are always hard to understand and the lines are interminable. Can you feel the whine?

Alright, enough drivel…. Time to get yer guesses in for Letter ‘F’. Chapter ‘H’ is coming within a week or so. Or less depending on my mood. Now, let's hear from you: What's the best thing that happened to you this week?

I am happy to say, I’ve started studying again for my Private Pilot’s Written Exam, and hope to begin to fly this Spring.

Yay Liesa!! That's awesome! I'll be sending some positive vibes your way for lots of brainpower and time to accomplish everything you need to.

I’m starting to be trained in a new area for me at work- Pre-Op. That’s the first stage of the surgical process where you sign consents, the RN confirms allergies, medical history, does a brief physical exam, and generally confirms you are still a candidate for the procedure, starts the IV, etc… I’m scared to death, but also at the same time ready for a new challenge at work.

I'm sure it's nerve-wracking to be thrust into a new role, but also very exciting! The day you stop learning is the day you stop living, right? (I know someone said that once...) Always helpful to have a few new skills in your back pocket.

As someone who's been through a relatively impactful surgical procedure, the nurses at every step of the process really made a huge difference in my experience!

May I just say here and now that, of all the things I have to do with the State Govt., the DMV is the crappiest.

Umm...yep. Uggh. This transcends borders—same deal up here for your northern neighbours!

What's the best thing that happened to you this week?

I'm so glad you asked! This simple question got me to reflect on how the week has been going so far, and I was feeling kinda bummed about it because I've been under the weather, but I realize now that it was actually a pretty fabulous week! 1) Nathan came home! He'd been away for 3 weeks or so for work, and now he's home for almost a week. And 2) We officially booked a return-to-WDW trip for our 1st anniversary in August!!

So, it comes as no surprise that I get behind here on the DIS as I pursue other things life has to offer.

That's perfectly okay.
Life has to come first. :)

I am happy to say, I’ve started studying again for my Private Pilot’s Written Exam, and hope to begin to fly this Spring.

Good for you! Fly, Liesa! Fly!

Meanwhile, our family is planning a trip this summer to the Zion and Bryce National Parks.

Ooh! That'll be nice! Because...

While I am excited to do some photography there,

...of that.

I’m also itching to get back to Disney.

Heh. Aren't we all? ;)

It is a possibility that I might be able to take my folks there next Fall, but that is a definitely not set in stone- just an idea at this point.

That'll be really nice! They've been before, I presume? Or?

Meantime, I’m headed back to DLR in April for a fun little DISMeet with good friends and fun times planned.

:wave:

Other irons in the fire: I’m starting to be trained in a new area for me at work- Pre-Op. That’s the first stage of the surgical process where you sign consents, the RN confirms allergies, medical history, does a brief physical exam, and generally confirms you are still a candidate for the procedure, starts the IV, etc

Holy crap... that sounds... intimidating.

I’m scared to death, but also at the same time ready for a new challenge at work.

To quote... well... you.
You can do it!

We are also moving to a brand new facility in February. Everyone is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper excited to have a new and much bigger place to call home.

Cool! That'll be both a nice change of pace and scenery and (I assume) good for the patients.

I’m also having to work a ton more nights that I don’t love

Ugh. I feel your pain. Those don't get easier with time, I'm sorry to say.

definitely takes a toll on my sleep patterns.

:sad2:
That they do.

But, I like the differential and the quiet of the place at night.

Sigh. Yes. But.... I don't think it's worth it in the long run.

I have one kid who needs to take their written Driver’s Permit test, and another who needs to take the driving portion of their License Exam.

Note to self. Stay far away from Oregon.

May I just say here and now that, of all the things I have to do with the State Govt., the DMV is the crappiest. The processes are always hard to understand and the lines are interminable.

I've heard this.
Let's see.... what did I do yesterday. Went to get my licence renewed, then went back with Ruby and got hers done. Plus did the insurance on three cars (ours and Elle's... except it's still in our name.)
Took about.... 5 minutes?

:rolleyes1

What's the best thing that happened to you this week?

Are you kidding? I don't remember that! :laughing:

Hmmm.... I would have to say chatting with my best friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter