The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

I have one kid who needs to take their written Driver’s Permit test, and another who needs to take the driving portion of their License Exam. May I just say here and now that, of all the things I have to do with the State Govt., the DMV is the crappiest. The processes are always hard to understand and the lines are interminable. Can you feel the whine?

Ugh, I think no matter where you live anything to do with drivers' permits is hellacious. I also am utterly terrified to even contemplate the idea of my kids learning to drive, just sayin'. I don't feel like they will ever be ready for that kind of responsibility lol.

Cool about your new learnin' at work. I know it's tough, but you seem so good at learning new things so I'm sure you will be more than great!!! And also learning to FLY...is so incredible..I am loving being on that journey with you too...can't wait for the eventual flying pics lol

Sounds like we're on the same side of this food debate, for once!

That took WAY too long.

Went to see comedian Jim Gaffigan in concert last year. His wife actually had a cancer scare and amazingly he worked that into his comedy routine.

"They always compare tumors to fruit. I think it's because they took one look at me and thought, 'Well, this guy ain't gonna understand centimeters. He's probably seen a pear before, though.'

Interesting fact: the grapefruit--worst tumor. Worst fruit."

Only a high caliber comedian could pull that off.

but.. grapefruit... mmmm! Did you know that's the one fruit you can't mix with many medications? True fact! They drilled this into us in school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit–drug_interactions

I don't think I've ever had elk. We don't have elk in the east. Maybe they call it wapiti in the west? I have heard that name though.

Really?! I'd have never ever guessed that. :confused3 I thought they were pretty much everywhere. HUH!

Yes, I guess the best way to describe moose is gamy beef. It's actually very lean and supposedly healthy. I don't eat it often. Since it's so lean I don't like the steaks that much, I find them a bit lacking in flavour.

Then it sounds like elk- dry and gamy. A lot of people add fat to their elk sausage when processing here.

I would.... but I’m afraid to find out what the answer is.

Delicious! I need one.

This is NOT two pieces of lumber...I don't get it.
:rotfl2:
:rotfl:

Just like the bread momma used to step on.

:laughing:

Probably because back then it really was dangerous... home made mayo as opposed to store bought?

maybe? Still, nope.

'sides, I wouldn't eat mayo on anything for breakfast. Ever.

Huh.
Both my girls had it so moot point. The vaccine for that was just coming out then. We weren't sure about it and.... then it didn't matter.

Same with my kids.

Point being thought, that I think childhood diseases and the potentially long-lasting and devastating effects are largely underestimated these days by people who have not seen the heartbreak they can cause. Lack of travel, firsthand experience, etc... have made a complacent generation.

I like a good spinach salad too! I like to be far away from my mouth.

(Do not tell me that I can shove it up my *** instead!)

More for me!!!

Funny. I did think about that. You might be more likely to be stopped.
"You can't take photos of people. It's against the law (That I just made up so I can extort money from you.)"

Remind me to tell you about the time that happened to us in Crapistan over some sunflower seeds.

Saw that. Glad it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Me too! I guess this week marks the 300th anniversary of the Great Cascadia Quake. We're overdue for another....

What he said.
The daughter of a queen is a princess by definition.
And... Ya wanna be a Disney Princess? Apparently all you absolutely must do... is never say "I don't know."

And wave correctly.

Had elk. Tasty. But not as good as caribou.

Which is what we call reindeer, no?

You know who calls elk, wapiti?

No one.

Good to know!!

It does come from a First Nation word. And "elk" is actually from Europe... for moose. Because they saw those animals here and because of their size (they ain't small) they thought they were related to moose and not deer.

I learn so much here!!!!

Just wanted to check in.

You're always welcome here and missed when you aren't!

:hug:

I am still reading, but the commenting has become pretty much non-existant. Between school and health, my butt is duley kicked!

Hang in there! It will get better- PROMISE!!

School this semester is the make it or break it semester, so not much time for anything other than school work.

You are doing so well now! Keep at it, and it'll all pay off!

I love the ability that you have to see beauty when you are surrounded by poverty and dispair. The flower picture at the end of your last update, well, it really made me stop and think about how every where you look, if you look hard enough, there is something beautiful to be found.

Then I fulfilled my goal. :goodvibes

Life can be brutal, but in the midst there is always something there to remind us that not all is bleak.

Okay, Friends, off to another long day of meetings and work. More replies later....

Ready, Set, Game on!!!

maybe? Still, nope.

'sides, I wouldn't eat mayo on anything for breakfast. Ever.

Hmmm.... were we talking about breakfast? I thought we were talking about Mayo in general.
But.... yeah. I don't think I've ever touched mayo for breakfast. Not that I can recall.

Point being thought, that I think childhood diseases and the potentially long-lasting and devastating effects are largely underestimated these days by people who have not seen the heartbreak they can cause. Lack of travel, firsthand experience, etc... have made a complacent generation.

Interesting thought.
You'd think that education would be enough. Apparently... not so much.

More for me!!!

<shoves bowl of weeds over to Liesa.>

Me too! I guess this week marks the 300th anniversary of the Great Cascadia Quake. We're overdue for another....

Interesting. Never heard of it so... Google to the rescue.

And wave correctly.

::yes:: One must always exercise proper decorum.

Which is what we call reindeer, no?

Same critter.

I learn so much here!!!!

None of it useful!

Hi Liesa! Just stopping by to say I'm trying to catch up before commenting. Haven't forgotten about you. Have had some destractions lately, studying for my coding exam and busy with clients. I am loving your TR as usual! Be back soon!

Meanwhile, our family is planning a trip this summer to the Zion and Bryce National Parks.

:woohoo::cool1::banana: A couple of our favorites. Make sure you hit both early, though. Zion is especially crazy crowded in the summer. We actually planned to avoid it this time around. Not because we don't love the scenery, but didn't want to mess with the crowds with limited time. We didn't make it to Capitol Reef last time so we're trying to pick that one up instead.

I’m also itching to get back to Disney.

Well, sure. Is it a day that ends in y?

They’ve hinted to me a couple of times recently about wanting to go back, so we’ll see.

My kids subtly hint at that, too. "I wanna go back to Disney! When can we go back?"

Meantime, I’m headed back to DLR in April for a fun little DISMeet with good friends and fun times planned.

party: Sounds like you're getting Disney fixes in regular intervals these days.

I’m starting to be trained in a new area for me at work- Pre-Op. That’s the first stage of the surgical process where you sign consents, the RN confirms allergies, medical history, does a brief physical exam, and generally confirms you are still a candidate for the procedure, starts the IV, etc… I’m scared to death, but also at the same time ready for a new challenge at work.

I can certainly understand being worried about that! But you'll rock it. I know you'll put in the time.

I’m also having to work a ton more nights that I don’t love but, well…. it’s the position I accepted when I officially went part time last Summer.

Well, there's a reason they call it "work" and have to pay you to do it.

Hmm, let’s see, what else is on my proverbial plate? I have one kid who needs to take their written Driver’s Permit test, and another who needs to take the driving portion of their License Exam

I'm in that boat! My daughter turns 16 in about a week and a half. :scared:

May I just say here and now that, of all the things I have to do with the State Govt., the DMV is the crappiest. The processes are always hard to understand and the lines are interminable. Can you feel the whine?

Sorry to hear that. Our DMV's got an overhaul a few years back and really pushed customer service hard. They've done an amazing job. You'll never hear much praise, because it's a government office and nobody notices anything we do well, but I'm always amazed at how quickly I can get in and out.

What's the best thing that happened to you this week?

Well, we're in that crappy time of year between Christmas and Easter when it's cold and dark and nothing is going on, but...

My normally cursed football team won the right to be the team that loses to the Patriots in the Super Bowl this year!

All caught up again.

I'll just say, your pictures and Africa stories make you stop and realize how blessed we are.

Jill in CO

I'm finally caught back up but I'm reading on my phone so no quoting.

I have enjoyed both sides of your report but the Africa sides really tears at my heart. Kudos to you for giving your time and talents.

I really enjoyed your dapper dan day. Danielle and I would love to do that one day. She is so into dressing up and doing cosplay.

I'm gearing up for our trip down to WDW. I'm so excited to share it with my grands. I'm really excited to see the The Festival of the Arts at Epcot. In 14 days I'll be in my happy place (not that I'm really counting)

That’s the first stage of the surgical process where you sign consents, the RN confirms allergies, medical history, does a brief physical exam, and generally confirms you are still a candidate for the procedure, starts the IV,
Oh, so you'll be the mean lady sticking us all with needles...:P

Now, let's hear from you: What's the best thing that happened to you this week?
You may have already seen on FB, but I had some excitement in the house this week:

Last Friday I went to the city humane services to adopt a kitten. I wasn't entirely thrilled with the idea but the mother was a stray so I guess I feel good about the fact that I've given the creature a better life than it would have had otherwise. DD is over the moon with happiness and surprisingly DW has been the most cuddly with it so far.
A few pictures below. She's a 2 month old calico with a little orange tabby in her. Wiki says that's technically a tortoiseshell cat, so named her Shelby. Maybe not the most original name but it works.

img_0399-jpg.297481

img_0413-jpg.297482

img_0412-jpg.297483

Yay Liesa!! That's awesome! I'll be sending some positive vibes your way for lots of brainpower and time to accomplish everything you need to.

I'm sure it's nerve-wracking to be thrust into a new role, but also very exciting! The day you stop learning is the day you stop living, right? (I know someone said that once...) Always helpful to have a few new skills in your back pocket.

As someone who's been through a relatively impactful surgical procedure, the nurses at every step of the process really made a huge difference in my experience!

Umm...yep. Uggh. This transcends borders—same deal up here for your northern neighbours!

I'm so glad you asked! This simple question got me to reflect on how the week has been going so far, and I was feeling kinda bummed about it because I've been under the weather, but I realize now that it was actually a pretty fabulous week! 1) Nathan came home! He'd been away for 3 weeks or so for work, and now he's home for almost a week. And 2) We officially booked a return-to-WDW trip for our 1st anniversary in August!!

Yay Liesa!! That's awesome! I'll be sending some positive vibes your way for lots of brainpower and time to accomplish everything you need to.

Thanks!! I need to get a better routine and tackle it a bit more systematically. ;)

I'm sure it's nerve-wracking to be thrust into a new role, but also very exciting! The day you stop learning is the day you stop living, right? (I know someone said that once...) Always helpful to have a few new skills in your back pocket.

Exactly!! Keeps me active anyway.

As someone who's been through a relatively impactful surgical procedure, the nurses at every step of the process really made a huge difference in my experience!

They really can. Calming nerves is big part of that job.

Umm...yep. Uggh. This transcends borders—same deal up here for your northern neighbours!

Hmmm, between you and @pkondz I"m hearing mixed reviews.
I'm so glad you asked! This simple question got me to reflect on how the week has been going so far, and I was feeling kinda bummed about it because I've been under the weather, but I realize now that it was actually a pretty fabulous week! 1) Nathan came home! He'd been away for 3 weeks or so for work, and now he's home for almost a week. And 2) We officially booked a return-to-WDW trip for our 1st anniversary in August!!

Oh no for being under the weather. :( That's never fun! The flu came to our household DS, 19, to start with. But YAY for N coming home!! That's gotta be so nice!

And what's not to love about a new trip to plan?!

You know, this is interesting. I went shopping yesterday and went down the condiment aisle and...

There are all the mayo jars all lined up on the non-refrigerated shelves...
As with many condiments...they don't need to be refrigerated until they're opened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter