The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

I can not tell you how much I'm enjoying your travels. Some many interesting places with so much history. Your photos are always outstanding. I'm also learning so much. I really love the B & B you stayed in. Virginia City looks like quite the gem.
I'm SO glad you are!! I feel like this (and my other) thread(s) are moving at a turtle's pace, but I will get them done eventually! Just... life! LOL!!

I think we hit some major historical highlights on this trip. Some folks like big cities, others scenic drives, I really love historical places and out of the way sites.

So many interesting facts to dig up in Virginia City! Thanks for the tour! I'm glad you were not bothered by the hauntings. :)

Too bad I didn't know you had a hankerin' for some pilfered shampoo - I could have obliged you. Although it might not have been as fun if just offered. :rolleyes1
I wish we'd had time to take a mine tour as well, but we had a long, LONG way to go.

Just a Caspers around. ;)

LOL!! If I'd known I"d need it, I'd have had NO problem asking. :lmao: I also wish I'd remembered that we'd be camping a bit of the time. Silly me!!

Wow! Bodie has so much rich history just cut off, Great find! I never heard of it. So strange to see everything just sitting there like something big happened to chase everyone out in a hurry. Maybe they had their first earthquake, LOL

Absolutely loving your report. Sorry not to have commented much but I am thoroughly enjoying reading along. Brodie looks fascinating. Loved your tour of VC and your photos are outstanding. You really capture the essence of a place with them. Hope you and Zack are settling into your new lives/jobs and that you get caught up on some sleep sooner rather than later. Happy Halloween. Hope you have a quiet night at work

The town was abandoned so abruptly, that thousands and thousands of artifacts were simply left behind because they were too heavy, or too much to haul from one place to another.

Bodie is really an amazing place. I guess the dry air has helped to preserve so much of it. I am always amazed at how people can just abandon a place without packing up their belongings. But the objects that were left behind so tell a story.

We explored a house that had been abandoned back when we were teenagers. It was in the woods of Wisconsin and had recently been broken into, so there was still a lot of stuff in there. The local kids had clued us into it. There were dishes, etc, but the things I remembered the most, besides how spooky it was to go into an abandoned house, were the toys and school papers left behind in one of the bedrooms. Why did they leave it behind?

I detect very little complaining (😉)
Well of course not. As much as we enjoy your writing, we also understand that you're going through a very busy, stressful time right now and writing might have to be put on the backburner for a bit.
Bodie saw its heyday in 1880 with a Main Street that was over a mile long
Impressive for that era.
whose population was more than 10,000. By 1940, however, it was declared a ghost town. It was abandoned so quickly that many, many artifacts were left behind intact.
I lived in a town like that for almost 4 years.
Now, the California State Park system keeps it in a state of suspended decay
Ah. Was wondering when I saw the photos how come there wasn't more graffiti or vandalism.
I did! For example...
IMG_4891-L.jpg
I found this quite interesting. Is that one of the gondolas?
And this... with the firing order right on it. :thumbsup2
And this one in particular. Almost... ghostlike.
And this one... the wire explained a lot of why things were still left intact.
(My kids potty-trained on one of those!)
:laughing:
(An impressive intact bottle collection)
Very! Considering the age.
(The most ornate potbelly I've ever seen!)
That really is pretty cool. ::yes::
(LOVE old gas pumps!)
Me too!
The seamstresses shop
That mannequin is spooky.
At the Sundry Store
I do wonder if all of that is original... or placed there by parks.
The firehouse- I thought this was particularly cool!
For sure!
all tried to hook up their hoses to the hydrant. Who had the authority!? Who was going to be the one to put the fire out!?
"Meanwhile, as they argued, Mr and Mrs Johnson could only look on as their beloved home burned to the ground."

:rolleyes1
On the night of August 10, 1941, the bronze bell from the firehouse belfry was stolen. Soon after, on September 28, 1941, it was returned to Bodie and is still on display today."-
Huh. Must be more to that story.
Most of the inner workings are still in tact.
Really!
There is a limit on the number of people per tour, and they only do a few tours a day, so make sure the Museum is your first stop when you get in town to get your tickets, as they do sell out. You can also book private group tours if you contact the Park.
So did you two do the tour?
an ingenious gondola system that was used to carry ore from the mine directly to the mill.
That's pretty interesting. Never heard of a gondola used to transport ore.
The first school house was burned down by a small boy who had gotten in trouble, and was sent home. He went to the backside of the school and began setting fire to the dry brush for fun. It spread to the building and burnt it to the ground. I guess the teacher learned a lesson that time…
:lmao:

How many kids have dreamed of this... and this kid did it!
A view from inside the schoolhouse, gives you the feeling that the children are just out at play during a break.
::yes::
Love that globe. I'd really like to take a look at it.
At the time, engineers were afraid the power running through the lines would not be able to turn sharp corners and that it would ‘jump out of the line and into the ground’.
That's fascinating. Really goes to show you just how little it was understood, back then.
Well, that's certainly not something that happens everyday!
Nope!

The burger menu is fairly extensive with some not-so-common options and Zach chose the peanut butter burger. I was a skeptic. I am not anymore.

Hmmmm.....I am still a skeptic....

I sat across from Jim having just ruined my dinner by putting the jalepeno ranch on my salad that I’d ordered. I think the person who did the cooking/saucing made a horrible mistake and got carried away with the chili oil/powder/whatever and I literally choked on the first bite. It was totally inedible. Sometimes I wish I had more guts to send stuff back, and I just asked for some plain ranch to dilute the rest of my drowning salad. Such a bummer.

I would have sent it back as soon as they said "jalapeno ranch".

I found the signs on the bathrooms… amusing.

OMG! Totally....amusing.....

No day starts off quite as well as when coffee and cinnamon rolls are involved. Nibbley’s Café is not to be outdone with their rendition of a giant, fresh baked, dinner plate-sized “roll” that Zach and I grazed on for the next 4 or 5 days.

And a hidden Mickey too!

I know there are some who would like to see all traces, or ones that only fit the current PC narratives, of the past taken away or erased; I disagree.

No, I totally agree with you. That's why people still visit Auschwitz. Never forget. If people don't learn about these things we will only repeat them. If we have learned nothing in the last five years....

Warning: Excessive photos of deer to follow

Cute photos of deer!

Navigating through Reno sucks. I can’t remember a time I got more turned around, missed more turns, or swore with more punctuation.

I'm not sure that I've ever actually traveled through Reno...

The (newer) road itself from Reno to V.C. is extremely twisty and the locals use it as their daily spin on the go-cart track. To say driving it was at times terrifying would be a gross understatement.

Those are the roads where I make Fran drive.

I can give the two-sentence synopsis: Silver and gold were found in these mountains in 1850, but not as much as of either was found as most of the prospectors/claim-stakers had hoped. As with all mining ventures, a few with good business sense and more luck than others managed to do quite well hitting the literal jackpot. They became senators, and thus began the long and continuing saga of fat cats in government.

Your two sentence synopsis is fine. I don't have time to read more! :laughing:

It's hard to find much open after 10:00 in V.C, and we were warned by our lodging’s matron that it would also be hard to even find dinner past 8:00, so we got a move on.

Life in a small town....

Hmmmm.....I am still a skeptic....

Do I hear a burger challenge coming up? ;)

I would have sent it back as soon as they said "jalapeno ranch".

To be fair, I did order it and have had jalapeno ranch before and have loved it. This was just I'm sure a HUGE mistake in making it.

OMG! Totally....amusing.....

RIGHT?!
And a hidden Mickey too!

::yes::

No, I totally agree with you. That's why people still visit Auschwitz. Never forget. If people don't learn about these things we will only repeat them. If we have learned nothing in the last five years....

Exactly!!!

Cute photos of deer!
They were so patient and accommodating for me.
I'm not sure that I've ever actually traveled through Reno...
I'd advise against it.

Those are the roads where I make Fran drive.

I'd have been far more terrified with Z driving!

Your two sentence synopsis is fine. I don't have time to read more! :laughing:

You and me both, these days!
Life in a small town....

I had Lara Bars if it became an emergency.

Wow! Bodie has so much rich history just cut off, Great find! I never heard of it. So strange to see everything just sitting there like something big happened to chase everyone out in a hurry. Maybe they had their first earthquake, LOL
It's a giant town-sized museum and so much to see. One website said the stuff was just too heavy and cumbersome to carry off of the mountain. There were several fires in Bodie, so I think that was more of an issue than quakes, but I would NOT want to be in a mine during one!

Absolutely loving your report. Sorry not to have commented much but I am thoroughly enjoying reading along. Brodie looks fascinating. Loved your tour of VC and your photos are outstanding. You really capture the essence of a place with them. Hope you and Zack are settling into your new lives/jobs and that you get caught up on some sleep sooner rather than later. Happy Halloween. Hope you have a quiet night at work
Awww, thanks! :goodvibes:

I'm super glad you're still here letting me plod along. :)

Super enjoyed taking photos along the way trying to get out-of-the-box shots and tell stories through them.

Zach and I are settling in well, him more than me I think. He used to come over for dinner pretty often, but now works and sort of does his own thing. (ie sleeps til noon) They bumped him up to full time though so that's about to stop. LOL!

Quiet? I was on-call and worked from 6:30-10:30PM so missed anything too crazy. Just one patient and she recovered well. :)

Bodie is really an amazing place. I guess the dry air has helped to preserve so much of it. I am always amazed at how people can just abandon a place without packing up their belongings. But the objects that were left behind so tell a story.

I think you're right!! Although I think it snows quite a bit too. I was surprised many of the roofs were left intact. Some of course had been restored too, but what a place of history suspended in time!

We explored a house that had been abandoned back when we were teenagers. It was in the woods of Wisconsin and had recently been broken into, so there was still a lot of stuff in there. The local kids had clued us into it. There were dishes, etc, but the things I remembered the most, besides how spooky it was to go into an abandoned house, were the toys and school papers left behind in one of the bedrooms. Why did they leave it behind?

Ohhhh spooky!! I wonder too but.... hmmm, that is so odd!
We love this ride but hate the standby line. It has too many turns. The worst one, though, is the Nemo ride in Epcot. Those are permanent walls that force you to needlessly weave through a ride that is often a walk on.

YES!!!!! That one is awful, but I did it in that scooter. What a nightmare!

Hi I’m here reading along and enjoying all your pictures and interesting road stops!
I hope all is well with your new job!

So glad we could catch up on the phone the other night! It was so wonderful to get your insights and encouragement. :goodvibes:

Well of course not. As much as we enjoy your writing, we also understand that you're going through a very busy, stressful time right now and writing might have to be put on the backburner for a bit.

Yeah, sadly that's the case.

I lived in a town like that for almost 4 years.

OH? Do tell!

Ah. Was wondering when I saw the photos how come there wasn't more graffiti or vandalism.

Now ya know!

I found this quite interesting. Is that one of the gondolas?
No, I think that was one of the ore hoists that brought it up out of the shafts.

And this... with the firing order right on it. :thumbsup2

I LOVE that!! As soon as I saw it I HAD to take a photo!
And this one in particular. Almost... ghostlike.

I LOVE that photo- it turned out JUST like I'd hoped!

And this one... the wire explained a lot of why things were still left intact.

I tried most of the time to erase any hint of barrier/glass/wire/etc... but this one I left to tell more of the Bodie-as-it-is story.

That mannequin is spooky.

I thought so too. The whole place reminded me of a Twilight Zone movie.
I do wonder if all of that is original... or placed there by parks.

I think it was all original, just curated/arranged by the Parks System.

"Meanwhile, as they argued, Mr and Mrs Johnson could only look on as their beloved home burned to the ground."

:rolleyes1

:lmao:
So did you two do the tour?

No, it was an extra cost, and we didn't even know about it until we got in there. Then we found out we'd missed the last tour anyways.
That's pretty interesting. Never heard of a gondola used to transport ore.

Nor had I!
Love that globe. I'd really like to take a look at it.
I wonder how much that's changed too!
That's fascinating. Really goes to show you just how little it was understood, back then.
And to think about how far technology has come since then!

OH? Do tell!
Well, if I ever get a few minutes, it will be my next chapter in my TR.
No, I think that was one of the ore hoists that brought it up out of the shafts.
Ah!
I LOVE that!! As soon as I saw it I HAD to take a photo!
How could you not?!?!? ::yes::
I tried most of the time to erase any hint of barrier/glass/wire/etc... but this one I left to tell more of the Bodie-as-it-is story.
I like that you took this one, though. It tells a story unto itself.
I thought so too. The whole place reminded me of a Twilight Zone movie.
Yes!
I think it was all original, just curated/arranged by the Parks System.
That's what I meant, sorry. Original placement not original objects.
No, it was an extra cost, and we didn't even know about it until we got in there. Then we found out we'd missed the last tour anyways.
Bummer
I wonder how much that's changed too!
Pre both world wars. I would imagine... a lot.

Our lovely matron let us know that breakfast was served around 8:30, so by 7:15 we grabbed our picks, pans, and prospects and headed out the door to see what else V.C could show us from the past.

Ha! I'd be rolling out of bed at 8:15 if that were the case!

It was about 8:15 when we got back to the B&B for breakfast.

So what did they serve? I couldn't tell from the photo.

Because life has suddenly taken a turn for the overly stressful with starting a new job, this update, and very possibly those for the foreseeable future, will be photo-heavy and prose-light.

That's OK. Cool photos and now I'm caught up. Here.

Do I hear a burger challenge coming up? ;)

Not unless someone else orders it and gives me a taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter