The Annual Pass Made Me Do It!

So, we left off with me venturing into Character Spot. After all there was no one to say no. Here’s where I got a little sad. It seemed like all the cast members were looking at me funny when I said I was alone. It’s like they felt sorry for me. What? I’m sure there are others that take solo trips who take pictures with the characters. Maybe I was just being over sensitive, but I also felt like I wasn’t doing anything correctly --- like where I placed my bag. Sorry, I placed it on the wrong side. You didn’t have to correct me 3 times! I’m old --- I don’t move so fast anymore.

upload_2019-4-18_12-35-1.png
upload_2019-4-18_12-35-51.png

Dinner at Garden Grill was wonderfult as always. It was a bit uncomfortable as my table was in the same seating area as another family. It was weird, but I was happy to be there. The characters were all wonderful with me! And my Dale….how I just love that chipmunk! Instead of the pot roast they usually serve they have this new steak dish. I loved it! I’m not sure Peter will, but I thought it was yummy!

upload_2019-4-18_12-37-13.png upload_2019-4-18_12-38-2.png upload_2019-4-18_12-38-45.png upload_2019-4-18_12-39-35.png upload_2019-4-18_12-40-14.png upload_2019-4-18_12-41-2.png
See what I mean about my short little T-Rex arms? Way too close up!!!

After dinner I was able to walk right onto Living with the Land and then onto Soaring which was only a 15 minute wait.

upload_2019-4-18_12-42-41.png upload_2019-4-18_12-44-3.png

I thought this was Spring Break still. I didn’t find it busy at all. In fact I thought it was really slow and I pretty much did everything I wanted to without being bumped or bothered by other people in my way. By this time I decided it was time to line up for the concert as I definitely wanted to be in line by 7pm for his 8pm show.

When we left off, I had decided to go line up for the concert. Since it was getting close to 7pm, I decided to take the Friendship Boat from the Future World side to Morocco. Very, very nice ride. Just as we docked, it started to rain. I was able to find shelter in Morocco and boy did it rain. Poured for about 20 minutes. All I kept thinking about was they were going to cancel the concert and I was soooo upset. They did cancel the 6:45pm show, so there was a possibility. Of course I did not bring a poncho or umbrella! The rain started to slow down a bit and I was able to make it to the American Gardens theater line. There was a huge umbrella and a group of maybe 7 people and of course, it started sprinkling. We all gathered under the umbrella and became fast friends. Come to find out we are all DVC owners! I did find out I was not the only one who came down for the concert. Of course no one travelled as far as I did, but at least I didn’t feel alone. We took a group picture for the DVC Files magazine. I wonder if it will ever get published? Are you ready to be bombarded with photos, right?

upload_2019-4-18_19-52-41.png upload_2019-4-18_19-54-16.png upload_2019-4-18_19-55-13.png upload_2019-4-18_19-56-1.png

Anyways, the cm let us in and we all walked down to the first row. Yes! I was front row, center. OMG!! This is not happening. The lady beside me kept thinking how cute I was being so excited as I was. Heck people, I made a freaking t-shirt! I wanted to be noticed. I cannot begin to describe to concert to you all. It was unbelievable! Dennis DeYoung was so close! His band is amazing as well. The “faux” Tommy Shaw as I call him (His name is actually August Zadra) sounded so much like Tommy Shaw and he even looked a bit like him. He sang Renegade so perfectly.

upload_2019-4-18_19-57-24.png upload_2019-4-18_19-58-28.png upload_2019-4-18_19-59-45.png upload_2019-4-18_20-1-15.png

Dennis sounded just as good as he did 30 years ago. I was really hoping that I wasn’t going to be disappointed as sometimes when these singers age, their voices don’t age as well. Dennis was amazing. I can honestly say I would rather go see Dennis and his band than I would Styx. For me, that is saying quite a bit! I was singing every single song and having such a good time. It was worth it all to come down by myself to see him. Again, I just can’t say enough about it. I’m going to do the same damn thing next year if I find out he’s playing! After the concert I was just beat! He played about 45 minutes. It was dark and I had been up since 2:30am I believe, so I caught the bus back to the resort. It was a long but fantastic day!

Last edited:
Yoir arrival day sounds fantastic!! I'm so happy you enjoyed the concert :goodvibes While I have yet to do a solo trip I've gone for work and so just been with a friend and then gone to MK alone while my lazy family slept in. However I know SO many DISers that do solo trips so no way the CM's aren't used to it! I think maybe you imagined them treating you different? I'll bet if you go solo for Dennis next year you won't feel that way lol!

Sounds like you had an amazing day!! I have done the parks solo for a few hours and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Kinda nice not to have to shepherd folks around sometimes. Dunno if a solo trip would ever be in my future, but I bet I would like it. I got used to solo travel on business and liked a lot of parts about it.

Day 2, Part 1

upload_2019-4-21_17-56-48.png

WESH2 weather was predicting heavy showers this day so I wanted to get up bright and early to get my day in at Hollywood Studios. I can tell you that I slept like the dead ---- I usually get up once or twice at home, so for me to not get up during the night was wonderful! I was so comfy with all those pillows to myself. I think I was up by 7:30am, showered, dressed and at the bus stop for 8:20am. I was actually at the park prior to opening! Cool! The entrance is all changed around due to the skyliner pods. It’s not a bad walk – just different. I believe these are the permanent ones now. As is tradition with Victoria and I, I headed over to Rock n Rollercoaster to ride single rider as many times as I can before it gets too busy.

upload_2019-4-21_17-58-20.png upload_2019-4-21_17-59-4.png

It was so funny, for the first ride I walked straight on through to the loading area and skipped the preshow with Aerosmith altogether! I had never had that happen before. I was able to get in three rides before I had to go to my Fast Pass for Frozen Sing a long! I was not going to miss that! I was able to worm my way into the second row, dead center.

upload_2019-4-21_18-0-25.png upload_2019-4-21_18-1-23.png upload_2019-4-21_18-2-19.png upload_2019-4-21_18-3-13.png

I’m telling you, I was sure pixie dusted this trip! It was the perfect spot to watch Sir Eric and all of his shananigans! And, of course, I had to yell out “PUDDLE” instead of “Happy Little Snowman” during Olaf’s song. Like always, Sir Eric points me out and pretends to be all kinds of upset at me. I love it! I really wanted to cry during this show because it makes me so very happy. Especially when the snowflake suds come down. To me, this is truly magical and so Disney. Words cannot describe. By now I wasn’t missing Peter and Victoria so much, as I was having the time of my life.

upload_2019-4-21_18-4-22.png upload_2019-4-21_18-5-4.png upload_2019-4-21_18-5-49.png

Afterwards, I really couldn’t wait any longer to go see my Master, my Kylo Ren! (swoon!). I had brought my Disney Visa so I could do the special Meet and Greet the visa holders have. Boy, am I ever glad I did. I had the best, I mean the absolute best interaction with him. He got right in my face and asked if I would submit to the Dark Side…..Yes, my Lord. Then he states he is a patient teacher. OH.MY.FREAKING.WORD! I near about died. This was the best! I love that man (character…..whatever!)

I’m here!

Great report so far! And to think your going back in what 2 weeks?!?!? Amazing!!! Enjoy

OMG it’s Ann!!! I don’t come on here much anymore, but when I do I hardly see anyone of my disbuddies! So excited!!!! I had to post first- but now I’m going to read your ptr lol!!!

OMG it’s Ann!!! I don’t come on here much anymore, but when I do I hardly see anyone of my disbuddies! So excited!!!! I had to post first- but now I’m going to read your ptr lol!!!

Yoir arrival day sounds fantastic!! I'm so happy you enjoyed the concert :goodvibes While I have yet to do a solo trip I've gone for work and so just been with a friend and then gone to MK alone while my lazy family slept in. However I know SO many DISers that do solo trips so no way the CM's aren't used to it! I think maybe you imagined them treating you different? I'll bet if you go solo for Dennis next year you won't feel that way lol!

Hi Ariane! Yes, my arrival day was one in a million. It just seems like a dream now. I packed so much in those few days. I probably did imagine it and was just feeling off without the family. Yep, I'm hoping Dennis will play next year because guess who is going again??!!

Sounds like you had an amazing day!! I have done the parks solo for a few hours and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Kinda nice not to have to shepherd folks around sometimes. Dunno if a solo trip would ever be in my future, but I bet I would like it. I got used to solo travel on business and liked a lot of parts about it.

Hi Elaine! It was nice not to have to answer to anyone and to decide on the spur of the moment what to do without anyone saying they didn't want to!

Sounds like a fun solo trip!

Yep, it was awesome and I would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure how long it would have taken to really start missing my family, but 3 days was perfect!

OMG!!!! Look who it is....Janine!!! Where the heck have you been??!! I start reading your ptr's and then poof, you are gone. Please stick around! After all I have another trip in just 9 more days! This time the family trip. We should friend each other in Facebook so we don't lose each other!!!

I hung out in Launch Bay for a while and was able to meet BB-8 as well. I had a very nice interaction with the cast member that. I told him that I was alone and he just fawned over me. He stated “come here beautiful princess” and other nice things and I said “I just have to hug you” and did. I wish I could remember his name. He really made my day.

By that time it was time for lunch so I opted to eat at the Sunshine Ranch Market and got a pizza. It was pretty good but I did not eat the salad because, well I don’t eat salad.

upload_2019-4-25_18-6-47.png upload_2019-4-25_18-8-3.png

This is right across from the stage where Beauty and the Beast show plays and I had a 12:30pm fast pass. Yep, I still am crushing on Gaston I must admit. What is it about those bad boys that I love? I certainly didn’t marry a bad boy! Like always, this show made me cry and I sent Victoria a picture to prove my point.

upload_2019-4-25_19-1-43.png upload_2019-4-25_19-3-23.png

After that I went to Tower of Terror. It stated it was a 20 minute standby and I had plenty of time, so I waited. It didn’t really take the whole 20 minutes either. This series of drops were the best I’ve ever had on this ride. I tell you all, this is really quite the trip! It was awesome. I had some time to go see Mike and Sully in One Man’s Dream. They were a lot of fun! I love that big ole Sully. As I was leaving he kept watching me and waving. It was so heartwarming. I wonder what he was thinking. Was he sad I was alone? I just don’t know.

upload_2019-4-25_19-5-6.png upload_2019-4-25_19-6-21.png

I had a fast pass for the Alien Spin in Toy Story Land so off I went. I think this will be a one and done for me as it just reminded me of a ride at the fair. It didn’t wow me at all. Don’t get me wrong, it’s cute, but nothing special. It was then time to see the Galactic Spectacular show on center stage. Of course, being only one person, I was able to worm through crowd to get second row behind a little kid. Perfect! Did I mention I also like Darth Maul? Again, bad boys……

upload_2019-4-25_19-7-19.png upload_2019-4-25_19-8-13.png

Time for my dinner ressie at Cape May buffet. I took the Friendship boat over the the Beach Club. I was about an hour early for my ressie, but I wanted to make sure I got there on time. I sat in the lobby prior to checking in……You will never guess who was staying there ---- DENNIS DEYOUNG AND HIS BAND!!! Now some of you may be thinking I was stalking them. I seriously wasn’t. I just happened to be there for dinner. I didn’t go up to them or anything as they were leaving for Epcot to perform for their second night. I wish I would have gotten an autograph, though! Oh, I forgot to mention, on the first night I did get a guitar pick from one of the members --- Jimmy, so that was cool. I love Cape May. Hello….I am a Mainer, so I do like seafood! My server was Leslie and she was so sweet. She actually spent some time talking with me, which was very nice.

upload_2019-4-25_19-10-3.png upload_2019-4-25_19-10-32.png

Here's more pics I wanted to share...…..

upload_2019-4-25_19-14-26.png upload_2019-4-25_19-15-8.png

upload_2019-4-25_19-15-39.png upload_2019-4-25_19-16-20.png

So, now that dinner was complete what do you all think I did? Did I go back to Hollywood Studios for more fun and the Star Wars fireworks or did I go to see Dennis DeYoung for his second night...….
upload_2019-4-25_19-19-36.png upload_2019-4-25_19-20-33.png

DENNIS DEYOUNG ONCE AGAIN...….I know, I know.....it was a very tough decision!

upload_2019-4-25_19-21-45.png upload_2019-4-25_19-26-42.png

Now this night I wasn't first row, but at least I had a seat, right?! I must say this show was better than the first night as he played a lot more variety of songs. One, especially, was AMAZING!! It was Castle Walls and that is actually the alarm on my phone. Yep, I will never regret this experience and I am soooo glad I did it! I thought about staying for the 8pm show but the sky was not looking very friendly and I wanted to at least get Frozen Ever After in before leaving. Well, let's just say I got soaked!!! It poured! No poncho or umbrella for me. Ick! I hate to get wet, but again, it wasn't snow!!

upload_2019-4-25_19-27-19.png upload_2019-4-25_19-27-52.png
and one more trip on Spaceship Earth! I know it was Extra Magic Hours, but I was so tired! I had to head back to the hotel to pack up for tomorrow morning to be ready for the Tragical Express! Boo!!!

Wednesday Morning...….

I again slept like the dead and not once did I wake up. Oh, I could get used to that. I had purchased a bag of mini chocolate covered donuts and had a couple that morning for breakfast along with some Diet Coke (don’t judge!) I walked around my area of the hotel for a little bit prior to going to the bus stop. Sad, sad to be leaving.

upload_2019-4-30_18-53-57.png upload_2019-4-30_18-54-41.png upload_2019-4-30_18-55-31.png upload_2019-4-30_18-56-15.png

During this trip I barely had to wait for any busses and never had to stand up once in the bus. I didn’t eat in the food court, so I’m not sure how busy it was. Other than a couple of short lasting storms, the weather was perfect. I never got the chance to go swimming, though. There just wasn’t any time to fit that in. I really hope that the weather in May is just as nice……What? Remember reading about how I was planning a trip with my family in May? Yep! Wanna hear about that one, too? Ok. I’m up for that!

Coming Up Next......….The Family Vacation……Let’s change the whole thing up, shall we?

This was first going to be my solo trip for my birthday as last year Peter was told he could not have any time off in May for a vacation. I started planning my solo trip this year based on this assumption. Yeah, wrong! I had my dates picked out and my plane tickets purchased. Then Peter comes home and asks me if I would rather do the family vacation in May rather than September as he can have the time off. What??!! Um, yeah, but my flights are already purchased. Ugh. Ok, I can make this work…..I think. So, being that it was JANUARY when he tells me this, the only DVC resort with any availability is Saratoga Springs for the entire time. Not my favorite resort, but hey, I’m not picky and I’ve never stayed there before so it may end up being a favorite, who knows. The plane tickets were another story. Mr. Peter doesn’t understand that you are supposed to purchase your plane tickets as soon as they are released! I had used my skymiles points to buy mine, but now I am looking to buy Peter’s and Victoria’s. AND Delta will charge me a change fee of $150, so my good deal on flights suddenly became not so good. All in all the total cost for the flights for the 3 of us is $939! Ick! I don’t usually spend that much for flights, but this is sort of last minute and it is from Maine to Florida round trip. It’s bought and paid for (meaning not charged to a credit card – which is my normal m.o.) so no use fretting about it!

upload_2019-4-30_18-59-0.png upload_2019-4-30_18-59-51.png upload_2019-4-30_19-0-44.png

Now the details are May 5th through the 14th (returning on the 14th) at Saratoga Springs, preferred room with the Disney Dining Plan. We wanted to do the Dining Plan this time around as it’s just more convenient for us to have the meals prepaid. It works about to be about the same costs depending on what we order. I like the refillable mugs, too. This way, if Victoria has taken off somewhere without us, she will be able to use her meals just by using her Magic Band. I’m not sure if I will do tip envelopes or not. I usually do, but I don’t know if I’ll have the time to do them. I am working right up until the day before I leave at Party City. I like to have the tip money separate from the regular spending money and envelopes help to make that happen.

I had made my dining ressies and fast passes when I was able to and I think I have a pretty good plan set up. Like I always do, I make up little index cards, laminated, of course, with all the day’s plans on them. I don’t have to always be on my phone looking at mydisneyexperience to get my info. My phone is my camera and while I do have a battery charging case, I still need to watch the phone usage. I also bring a separate charger as well. OMG!!!! I just found a Darth Vader battery stick. It's sooo cute! Can’t be too careful!

Do you all want to hear all the gritty details? Sure you do! If not, you can skip ahead!

We have a 6am flight out of Maine and will be arriving in Orlando at 11:14am. We do have a short layover in NYC. I wouldn’t really call it a layover as we arrive in NYC at 7:23am and have to depart for FL at 8:09am. We basically have time to get to the next gate. I hate rushing like that. I haven’t even thought about what we are going to do for breakfast. Being a diabetic, I have to have breakfast so that I can take medication. Maybe I can buy a snack bar or something in the airport in Portland, so that I have something. I will have to.

We are all set to take Disney’s Magical Express to the resort. Anybody want to make bets on whether it will be a real Magical Express bus?? Hmmmmm I wonder! That’s when it usually starts to get real for me. I’ve requested the Springs area of Saratoga which is preferred, so I hope I get that. I like to be close to the main building with the restaurants, etc. It’s just easier for me. I’m anxious to see where we will be placed. I’m estimating being at the resort by 12:30 or 1pm. Maybe a bit longer. I did make a fast pass for 3:50pm for Soarin since I’m sure we can be in Epcot by then. After all, we have our dining reservation at 5:05pm for the Rose and Crown. I may try to get a Frozen Ever After fp in between dinner and the 8pm show. Seeing Don Felder is not as important to me as seeing Dennis DeYoung! After that……the evening is open (or we will be dead tired and want to go sleep!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter