The Annual Pass Made Me Do It!

Victoriasmom98

DIS Veteran
Let’s preface this to say my family (hubby & daughter) and I are heading to Disney on May 5th for 10 days. We will be staying at Saratoga Springs and will be celebrating my 52nd birthday while we are there. This is our once per year family vacation using our DVC points.

But that is not what this is about……

What this is about is crazy and I’m not exactly sure how it happened, but it’s happening. Here’s the back story:

First of all, I'm Ann -- a very Disney addicted woman!

enhance

The first night we are down there, on May 5th, Don Felder (an original member of the Eagles) is playing during the Garden Rocks series during the Flower and Garden Festival. I was so excited to find out he was playing during the time that we were there. Being the planner that I am, last week I decided to check the schedule again just to make sure he didn’t cancel and was replaced with someone else. Oh good, he’s still playing on May 5th. Cool. But wait?! What is this? What do I see? Dennis DeYoung is playing on April 8 & 9th? Really? OMG!!! No way! Now, for those of you who don’t know who he is…..he is one of the founding members of Styx --- my all-time favorite band! I mean Styx is on my Spotify playlist and that’s the only thing I listen to. Now, I’ve seen Styx in concert but I’ve never seen Dennis DeYoung.
Dennis-DeYoung-Slide.jpg

I’ve always wanted to, but it seems the closest he ever comes to Main is in Pennsylvania. That’s 471 miles away. Now, again, the planner that I am, I priced out a trip to PA to see how much it would cost. I first looked at hotels in the area. There was NOTHING I could find under $179 per night. We would only need one night, so ok. Then there’s the actual concert tickets. 2 concert tickets at $55 each -- $110. Then we have to think about gas & wear and tear on my car which is a 2010 Dodge Caliber with just under 100,000 miles on it. Hmmmmm. I roughly estimated the trip to cost $350 at the very least. Ok, so it’s doable, but that concert isn’t until June and there’s an opportunity sitting right there in front of my face. I had some serious thinking to do.

I looked at flights and thought I could head down on Frontier Air at a somewhat reasonable price. Ok, about $169 round trip. Not great (how come I never get those $20 flights?) but reasonable. Then I thought, wait a minute…..I have Southwest points and I have enough for me to take this trip as well as our annual trip next May (we are flying on Delta this May). So, here we have a free round trip flight for the dates needed. Ok, so that’s flights – check! Didn’t book them quite yet, though. I mean do I really need to go to Disney twice in a 6 week period?

I had read online about scoring a hot deal on Hotwire that turns out to be a Disney hotel. The article I’m referring to is on The Budget Mouse. Hopefully I can post the link here:

https://thebudgetmouse.com/how-to-f...cv254y1wLMlI-H_wiJj3KzPxcdHHeb31e4g5wpbZwznSI

I’m going to try this. Hey, what’s the worst that can happen? I’d end up with a different hotel. Who really cares when all I want to do is go see Dennis DeYoung, right? I followed the instructions very carefully and had my debit card waiting.

It worked! I was sooo nervous but I ended up getting a room at Disney’s All Star Sports! Cool! For $78 per night! Doubly cool! Once I linked the hotel reservation to MyDisneyExperience I could see that not only did I get a room but it stated in the hotel details that I scored a PREFFERED ROOM! That means close to the Main Hall kiddos! I am beyond thrilled.

main-all-star-sports-resort.png

Ok, room is booked, so I HAVE to go now, right? I mean the concert itself doesn’t cost anything (except for admission to the park and guess what ---- I HAVE AN ANNUAL PASS!!!) My next step was to go back and book those flights! DONE!

So, this trip will cost me $193 (stupid hotel taxes etc.) to see this concert! And I’ll be in my favorite place in the whole wide world. Why shouldn’t I go? I see no reason! Do any of you? No? Good cause now it’s a done deal.

I'm working on posting photos, so bare with me.......

Last edited:
Woooo!!!!

There's my buddy!!! Thanks for stopping by....it's pretty lonely here, but that's ok. I'm just so excited I can't stand it!

So, my magic band came in yesterday. Of course I had to put on my Annual Pass and DVC sliders on. No decals this time around, though. Maybe I'll put those on the bands for the May trip. Here she is.....

upload_2019-3-30_20-13-10.png

I really need to learn resizing of pictures. I used to use Photobucket, then Flckr, but I apparently take way too many pictures! I'll need to work on that! Now I'm just copying and pasting, so maybe it will work. I've also made Mickey ears for the Flower and Garden Festival and a t-shirt for the concert. Here those are:

upload_2019-3-30_20-15-15.png

upload_2019-3-30_20-16-7.png

So, that's all for today. As for my regular life, I'm still working on the Disney scrapbook for last September. I'm way behind. For those of you who don't know me, I work full time as an Enforcement Agent for the State of Maine. I've been doing that now for over 15 years! I actually enjoy that job --- I collect child support for families. I also work part time at Party City. I absolutely love that job! I get to dress up and make people happy. It's a lot of fun! I'm married to a wonderful man and this September will make 9 years! You'll see more of him if you read my other reports. Take care for now!

Omg, how long have we known each other?!?! It seems like just yesterday you guys got married??

So who do you use for pics now?(they dont look too big on my phone, just right). I still use Photobucket but it is almost full again and I'm not sure what/who to use?

Love the pass holder sliders! The tshirt is awesome!

I can't seem to find any site that is free and that I can post from. I think I'm going to just copy and paste from my files on the computer. That process worked in the last post, so I'm hoping it will continue to work. Yes, Karen, we've known each other now for a long time and it's been wonderful to see your family grow, and of course the new addition, Mr. Teddy! He's so freaking cute!

I cannot believe that in one week from today I will have to go to bed early so I can get up at 3am to leave for the airport by 4am. My flight is leaving at 5:55am and I should be arriving at the airport by 5am. Portland is not a huge airport, so that should give me enough time. Now that I think about it, I may want to leave a tad earlier as boarding is usually a 1/2 hour earlier than the flight. We'll see. I still can't believe I'm going ALONE! Only for a few days, but I just think it's going to be so much fun! I did some packing tonight and it's just a pair of shorts and a top that I have to decide on. I've already packed my bathing suit and sandals!

Going alone sounds like a blast! So you just uploaded those pics above straight to the DIS? I didnt even know that was possible!

Dennis DeYoung is as good a reason as any to go to Disney!!! I'd love to see him but it never works out that we're there when he is, however I've seen Styx in concert locally so all is not lost lol. I will be there on May 5th (actually May 2-6) with about 30 of my closest DIS friends I've made over the years and am hoping to catch Don Felder. We've seen some great concerts during the festivals over the years!

Dennis DeYoung is as good a reason as any to go to Disney!!! I'd love to see him but it never works out that we're there when he is, however I've seen Styx in concert locally so all is not lost lol. I will be there on May 5th (actually May 2-6) with about 30 of my closest DIS friends I've made over the years and am hoping to catch Don Felder. We've seen some great concerts during the festivals over the years!

Oh yes, I’ve read about the Great Girls Getaway. In fact, I wanted to meet up with your group but I read in Chunky Monkey’s posts that there is no more room in the group and that it was too late to join. It would have been fun to meet up with you all, but I understand. More time with my family, I guess. LOL! Yes, we are planning to see Don Felder on the 5th when we arrive. We are eating at the Rose and Crown on that day as part of the Garden Rocks dinner package. Peter (my hubby) and I have seen Don Felder about 2 years ago when he was touring with Styx and REO Speedwagon. He’s very good and I’m very familiar with the Eagles’ music, so it’s going to be awesome! Victoria will probably continue to walk around EPCOT. Here am I mentioning my hubby and daughter and I haven’t introduced them. Well, they are my family, along with our 1 dog, 3 cats, 3 rabbits, 1 sun conure bird, 1 hamster and Lord knows how many chickens, but I think there’s about 30ish now.

Here’s my hubby Peter:
upload_2019-4-4_17-17-37.png

He is a Service Manager at a local retailer. We’ve been married almost 9 years. He’s not Victoria’s biological Dad, but you’d never know it. The two of them are as thick as thieves. I think he tolerates Disney for me. He pretty much goes for the food! He’s not one to sit around so being as busy as we are at Disney fits him just right.

And Victoria.
upload_2019-4-4_17-23-40.png

Boy this kid (oh, pardon me) young adult has put me through the wringer! She’s had medical problems since she was a baby and as she’s grown up, she’s developed psychological issues. I used to think it was just a “teenager” thing, but I know better now. Depression is her big issue. Sometimes it’s been really debilitating for her and she’s been known to sleep all day. Ugh! She does have a part time job for a retailer, so that’s been her saving grace. She loves Disney, but not as much as I do. She loves the rides (and the food, too!)

Then there’s me --- a Disney fanatic.

upload_2019-4-4_17-26-1.png
My belief is that Disney is a lifestyle and not just a place! I try to go to Disney World twice a year, but sometimes that is not financially doable. Oh, and we are also DVC members so that helps. I’m still paying on that loan until January 2021. Almost there! We certainly do not regret being members and we’ve been able to stay at GF, AKL – both Jambo and Kidani, and last year we stayed at the Polynesian. Oh, it’s such a toss up between Jambo House and the Poly. I love them both!

So that’s who we all are for the trip coming up in May. But for now this is my trip all because of Dennis DeYoung (thank you, Dennis!) I’m really excited to be going alone. I won’t have to worry about pleasing anyone else! Freedom! The plane is due to arrive in Orlando at 1pm and I’m figuring I will be at the resort by 3pm. I’m only bringing a carryon, so I should be able to leave right away and head for Epcot, even if the room isn’t ready. I would just store my bags will bell services. I did make a fast pass for Soarin at 4:10pm (love that ride!) and then I will be eating dinner at Coral Reef at 5:05.

CoralReef.png

I didn’t really like it the last time we ate there. I wasn’t too impressed with the food. The only thing that would make it better would be to sit near the tank. Now that I would like. Coral Reef was the only thing available when I booked it. (This is what I get for booking 2 weeks out!) I have tried for something else, but the lovely website kept telling me that “someone ate this page” so I think I am stuck. I’ll probably try again tonight. I just tried on the app and “they are having problems loading this page” Grrrrr. What would I want for a replacement, though. I love the Garden Grill but it’s so expensive! But I would see Mickey, Pluto and the Chipmunk brothers and I do love them! I’m a pretty picky eater, so there’s not a whole lot of choice for me. American food is what I do.

I’m a little worried about my flight going to Orlando. I’m flying Southwest and with the grounding of the 737s I’m hoping my flights don’t get cancelled. If they do, there’s my whole plan down the tubes. I can check the day before (I have to get the boarding pass anyways) and that will make me feel a whole lot better! Let me just board that plane! Now that I think of it, I have not received my Magical Express paperwork. But I’m not checking any bags, and they will scan the Magic Band, so I should be all set, right? I did get an email when I booked it that I was all set, so I’m going with that!

bce44ef65c8e36f8_33491246922_c4dfc34668_o.jpg

Last edited:
Will you be posting while you are there, live?!?! :hyper:

Some day I have to pick your brain about DVC. Last time Rey and I went o a trip alone we talked about it, but it was a pipe dream at that point...probably still is, no clue on the cost.

Will you be posting while you are there, live?!?! :hyper:

Some day I have to pick your brain about DVC. Last time Rey and I went o a trip alone we talked about it, but it was a pipe dream at that point...probably still is, no clue on the cost.

It sure does sound like someone wants me to post live....popcorn:: I would think so, as I'm going to be alone, so I'll have the time, right?

I'm wondering if Dennis will sign autographs after the show? I really do hope so. I'd like him to sign my t-shirt and then I would shadow box it!

I would love to talk about DVC with you! I thought it was a pipe dream, too, until we worked out our finances to do it. I can tell you that we took out a personal loan for it (less apr than Disney financing!) I pay $220 per month on 100 points. To me, it's worth it as once it's paid off that will be free vacations (not including the APs & food).

Oh, big update ----- I was able to get a 4:35pm dinner at Via Napoli! Yay! Much better than Coral Reef. I know it's really early, but I can just snack later, right? Garden Grill was going to be almost $50 and I just couldn't justify it.

It sure does sound like someone wants me to post live....popcorn:: I would think so, as I'm going to be alone, so I'll have the time, right?

I'm wondering if Dennis will sign autographs after the show? I really do hope so. I'd like him to sign my t-shirt and then I would shadow box it!

I would love to talk about DVC with you! I thought it was a pipe dream, too, until we worked out our finances to do it. I can tell you that we took out a personal loan for it (less apr than Disney financing!) I pay $220 per month on 100 points. To me, it's worth it as once it's paid off that will be free vacations (not including the APs & food).

Oh, big update ----- I was able to get a 4:35pm dinner at Via Napoli! Yay! Much better than Coral Reef. I know it's really early, but I can just snack later, right? Garden Grill was going to be almost $50 and I just couldn't justify it.
Uh Ues, definitely someone who wants live updates!!! I'll be stalking you!

Love Via Napoli! Yum!

That sounds really reasonable, now there's some monthly fee still, even after you pay it off though, right? That's where it sounds like it would get more expensive in the long run?

Oh yes, I’ve read about the Great Girls Getaway. In fact, I wanted to meet up with your group but I read in Chunky Monkey’s posts that there is no more room in the group and that it was too late to join. It would have been fun to meet up with you all, but I understand. More time with my family, I guess. LOL
Aw :( You know, got to the point when it was time to think about making dining reservations and there were between 30 and 40 of us already, the thinking was that this might be a little bit crazy to do LOL! After our group brunch at Cali Grill on the 5th everyone is kind of splitting up for the day: Steve and I and a couple of the girls are going to Hollywood studios, our friends Jenny and Joe are going to Magic Kingdom, I honestly don't know what the rest of the girls are doing. We leave on the 6th along with everyone I just mentioned but I know some people are staying longer so I haven't kept up on group plans after that!

Yes, we are planning to see Don Felder on the 5th when we arrive. We are eating at the Rose and Crown on that day as part of the Garden Rocks dinner packag
Love Rose & Crown! I think Steve and I are going to try to squeeze in a little bit more Epcot time after our HS fast passes and before flying fish dinner at 7:30. So hopefully we will catch the first concert that night :)

Hi! Just found your PTR and am joining in!

I've also made Mickey ears for the Flower and Garden Festival and a t-shirt for the concert. Here those are:
These are cute!!

I still can't believe I'm going ALONE! Only for a few days, but I just think it's going to be so much fun!
You will love it! A solo trip is a completely different experience but is amazing!

Here am I mentioning my hubby and daughter and I haven’t introduced them. Well, they are my family, along with our 1 dog, 3 cats, 3 rabbits, 1 sun conure bird, 1 hamster and Lord knows how many chickens, but I think there’s about 30ish now.
I love lots of pets. :)

He is a Service Manager at a local retailer. We’ve been married almost 9 years. He’s not Victoria’s biological Dad, but you’d never know it. The two of them are as thick as thieves. I think he tolerates Disney for me. He pretty much goes for the food! He’s not one to sit around so being as busy as we are at Disney fits him just right.
That is my DH too.....he is not a fan of sitting around on the beach so Disney works well for him too.

Boy this kid (oh, pardon me) young adult has put me through the wringer! She’s had medical problems since she was a baby and as she’s grown up, she’s developed psychological issues. I used to think it was just a “teenager” thing, but I know better now. Depression is her big issue. Sometimes it’s been really debilitating for her and she’s been known to sleep all day. Ugh! She does have a part time job for a retailer, so that’s been her saving grace. She loves Disney, but not as much as I do. She loves the rides (and the food, too!)
There are a lot of young people these days struggling with mental health issues. I think people are way more open these days and are talking about their problems more openly.

My belief is that Disney is a lifestyle and not just a place!
Disney is the ultimate bubble!

I didn’t really like it the last time we ate there. I wasn’t too impressed with the food. The only thing that would make it better would be to sit near the tank. Now that I would like. Coral Reef was the only thing available when I booked it.
We have only eaten there once back in 2009 and did not care for it all. Check for dining this weekend on, many tables open up a day or two before, especially for a small dining party.

And I just came across this....
upload_2019-4-6_8-39-11.png

I'm going to die! I woke up this morning to snow on the ground (just a dusting, but still). It hasn't gotten higher than 50 degrees here, so when I see 90 degrees, I'm freaking out a bit. This will change my packing plans just a bit. I was only going to pack one pair of shorts, but I think I'll need 2. I thought about just wearing my jeans all day Monday, but I will probably want to change into shorts prior to going to the park. Yep. I'm glad this popped up on my Facebook this morning!

I now have a new follower! Welcome Suse66!!!
Hi! Just found your PTR and am joining in!
Happy to have you! and thank you for your comments.

Oh, I've made another change as well...… Monday night I will be eating at Garden Grill! I know, I know.....the 3rd change! I just love the food there and this will probably be the only character interaction of the mini-trip. Yeah, I promise not to change this again...….maybe? No, I'm pretty sure this one will stick!

Aw :( You know, got to the point when it was time to think about making dining reservations and there were between 30 and 40 of us already, the thinking was that this might be a little bit crazy to do LOL! After our group brunch at Cali Grill on the 5th everyone is kind of splitting up for the day: Steve and I and a couple of the girls are going to Hollywood studios, our friends Jenny and Joe are going to Magic Kingdom, I honestly don't know what the rest of the girls are doing. We leave on the 6th along with everyone I just mentioned but I know some people are staying longer so I haven't kept up on group plans after that!

Oh I understand the group was getting way too big to make plans for. And who knows, I may see some of you all while in Epcot!

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-6_8-45-52.png
    upload_2019-4-6_8-45-52.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 3
So who do you use for pics now?(they dont look too big on my phone, just right). I still use Photobucket but it is almost full again and I'm not sure what/who to use?

I can't seem to find any site that is free and that I can post from. I think I'm going to just copy and paste from my files on the computer. That process worked in the last post, so I'm hoping it will continue to work.

Try imgur - its really good (and free). Gives u a URL u can use to post in forums.

I am getting an AP in December and it was fascinating to read your financial calculations to add in another trip. Can totally see myself doing that. Very impressed the hotel deal! Especially since I think April is an expensive time.

Monday, April 8th

Day 1, Part 1

Wow! What a day! I first must say that I was so concerned about driving to Portland (one hour away) as they were predicting a winter storm with freezing rain. It didn’t start raining until I hit Richmond (about 20 minutes into the trip) and then I was checking the temperature in the car all the way down…..39 degrees,38,37,36 and it hovered at 36 for the rest of the drive. Phew! I parked in the parking garage and made my way through security and onto the gate. I didn’t have to wait too long prior to boarding. I was at the back end of the A group. On the way to Baltimore I had a window seat with no one in the middle one so I had lots of room! Woo hoo!
upload_2019-4-16_19-16-14.png

I arrived in Baltimore about 2 ½ hours prior to leaving for Orlando so I had time to stop at McDonald’s and have breakfast as is tradition with the family when we land in Baltimore. This was the first time I really started missing them. This was going to be an interesting trip if I’m already feeling that way.

upload_2019-4-16_19-17-33.png

I had the second row window seat on the ride down to Orlando. This is sure a magical start! As I looked out the window, I could see GREEN!!! Green grass, green leaves on trees. OMG!!! I was amazed as there was a fresh 4 inches of snow in my yard!
upload_2019-4-16_19-21-12.png upload_2019-4-16_19-22-12.png upload_2019-4-16_19-23-0.png upload_2019-4-16_19-24-1.png
I landed in Orlando and went to the Magical Express area, let them scan my band and was told which line to get into. A lot of families were going to All Stars, but my stop would be the first! Wouldn’t you know it? A faux Magical Express bus (Mears), but as one of my Facebook friends said “any bus to DisneyWorld is magical”. Ok, she’s got me there.

Prior to arriving at my resort, I had received a text that I was assinged the football section. Not at all what I wanted and I was kind of disappointed even though that is still the preferred section. I did stop by the registration desk when I got to the resort to ask if there was anything in the Surf’s Up section. I was told it wasn’t a problem and I ended up in Room 115, 1st floor, back side of the building opposite of the pool. It’s perfect! I thanked the cast member and was on my way.
upload_2019-4-16_19-25-26.png upload_2019-4-16_19-26-17.png

I barely took the time to change into my shorts and off to catch the bus to Epcot. I had a concert to see!! This bus also stopped at Music & Movies to pick up more guests. I must say the heat was AMAZING! It was hard to believe that back home they were in the middle of a winter storm. The State Government offices actually closed down at 4pm due to the weather. Unbelievable, but I didn’t care….I was in 88 degree heat, baby! I was missing Victoria and Peter while on the bus. We have so many memories of being together at Disney. Well, I will enjoy this trip. It’s a bit weird to be alone, though, and it’s really weird to try to take selfies with my short little T-Rex arms! You’ll see that in some of my pictures.

upload_2019-4-16_19-27-41.png

And then there it was……Spaceship Earth in the distance. OMG I was really here. I cannot believe it! I was able to snag an SE fast pass while on the bus, to that’s what I went on first. I also did Test Track single rider and walked right onto the car! I’m serious. No lines, no waiting, no stopping at any point. I didn’t even take the time to create my car. Nope. It was very cool! After TT I was walking to my dinner ressie at Garden Grill when I saw that Character Spot was only 10 minutes. Cool! I’m going! After all there was no one to say no.

Really Dis? I can only post 10 photos? Well, I guess this will be continued in another post.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-16_19-22-4.png
    upload_2019-4-16_19-22-4.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 4
Yay for an awesome first day!! Enjoy every minute!

Just found your trip report. I have a solo trip coming up in 128 days, so looking forward to your solo adventures. I agree with Imgur as a free, easy to use photo sharing service. Oh, and guess who just made an ADR for dinner at Garden Grill? Lol! I hope your solo dining experience there was good. As you can see, I’m easily swayed. :teeth:

Try imgur - its really good (and free). Gives u a URL u can use to post in forums.

I am getting an AP in December and it was fascinating to read your financial calculations to add in another trip. Can totally see myself doing that. Very impressed the hotel deal! Especially since I think April is an expensive time.

Thanks Elaine....I've tried Imgur but I can't seem to figure out where to save my albums. I think when I get some extra time (lol) I'll play with it more.

Yay for an awesome first day!! Enjoy every minute!

And Suse, it's not even the full first day yet. Dis is only letting me do 10 pics at a time!

Just found your trip report. I have a solo trip coming up in 128 days, so looking forward to your solo adventures. I agree with Imgur as a free, easy to use photo sharing service. Oh, and guess who just made an ADR for dinner at Garden Grill? Lol! I hope your solo dining experience there was good. As you can see, I’m easily swayed. :teeth:

Hi Determined! Welcome to my short, yet wonderful trip! Overall, I did enjoy my solo trip very much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter