The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Saw Spamalot gain on saturday afternoon and they were HILARIOUS every improv has us in stitches.

Going to see my beyond brilliant friend and their castmates in HTDIO on friday before it closes way too early

What are some of your favorite restaurants in the theatre district. Looking for a casual lunch place. Anything but Italian,, Thanks
I took my great-niece to see The Lion King last week (her first Broadway experience) and we had a delicious late lunch with excellent service at Friedman's on W. 47th Street (it's attached to the Edison Hotel.)

We're going to NYC to visit our son in February. The day after I bought tickets for How to Dance in Ohio, they announced that it was closing! Bummer. We really wanted to see it. We have tickets for 4 shows: Moulin Rouge, The Notebook, Wicked and White Rose (off-Broadway). We've seen Wicked several times in San Francisco, but never on Broadway. We know one of the cast members so we decided to go see him perform. We also know some people attached to White Rose so we're going to check it out. Looking forward to a great trip!

I took my great-niece to see The Lion King last week (her first Broadway experience)

What was her reaction? How old is she? Had she seen one of the versions of the movies? First times for Broadway is usually such a magical time. What did she think of all the costumes?

What was her reaction? How old is she? Had she seen one of the versions of the movies? First times for Broadway is usually such a magical time. What did she think of all the costumes?
I've been lucky enough to see the show several times since it opened so I knew when to watch for her reaction and it was just as magical for me. She's 7 and had not seen the movies yet but knew the main characters. We had orchestra seats close to the aisle and I heard her gasp whenever some of the cast walked down the aisle, especially when the baby elephant came past and when the birds fly over the audience She loved the costumes and all the colors, was chair dancing to several songs, and I heard there was a breakfast table reenactment before school the next morning.

Last edited:
I've been lucky enough to see the show several times since it opened so I knew when to just watch for her reaction and it was just as magical for me. She's 7 and had not seen the movies yet but knew the main characters. We had orchestra seats close to the aisle and I heard her gasp whenever some of the cast walked down the aisle, especially when the baby elephant came past and when the birds fly over the audience She loved the costumes and all the colors, was chair dancing to several songs, and I heard there was a breakfast table reenactment before school the next morning.
my sister and I are taking her granddaughter in Charlotte this summer she will be 6. She doesn't know yet, but we are both looking forward to it.

my sister and I are taking her granddaughter in Charlotte this summer she will be 6. She doesn't know yet, but we are both looking forward to it.
I debated including the almost 6 year old but decided against it based on her personality in combination with it being a 7pm performance on a Tuesday following a full day at school. The younger sister probably would have been fine with a weekend matinee or a date when school is out of session but now I can look forward to taking her next year!

I'm hoping that the recently announced touring revival of Beauty and the Beast hints at that show returning to Broadway, Belle is the 7 year old's favorite.

I'm seeing Wicked tonight in Detroit. I've seen it a few times before, but it's one of my favorites.

I just got back from New York last night and I’m still reeling from the weekend. We saw MJ (lotto win), Merrily, Wicked (to see a friend), How to Dance in Ohio, and Hadestown. We just narrowly got to catch Jordan Fisher after he was out sick and we’d never seen the show so that was amazing to see before flying out. Everything was just so special!
How was Merrily? I really want to see that. Masterful score.

What are some of your unforgettable Broadway and Broadway-adjacent experiences? Some of mine:

• I saw Martin McDonagh's The Beauty Queen of Leenane the day after it won Tonys for Best Play, Lead Actress, Featured Actor, Featured Actress, and Direction.
  • Seeing the Original Cast productions of Hamilton, Wicked, The Light in the Piazza, The Book of Mormon, and Hairspray, among many others, but those stick out.
    • Seeing some legends (Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Joel Grey, Patti LuPone) in shows over the years.
  • Meeting, and talking to for a good while, Stephen Sondheim in the Denver Airport between flights when we were both traveling to the Telluride Film Festival.

What are some of your unforgettable Broadway and Broadway-adjacent experiences? Some of mine:

• I saw Martin McDonagh's The Beauty Queen of Leenane the day after it won Tonys for Best Play, Lead Actress, Featured Actor, Featured Actress, and Direction.
  • Seeing the Original Cast productions of Hamilton, Wicked, The Light in the Piazza, The Book of Mormon, and Hairspray, among many others, but those stick out.
    • Seeing some legends (Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Joel Grey, Patti LuPone) in shows over the years.
  • Meeting, and talking to for a good while, Stephen Sondheim in the Denver Airport between flights when we were both traveling to the Telluride Film Festival.
Last year I won the Hamilton ticket lottery, so a friend and I got to see the show for $20 each. That alone would have been memorable, until we picked up the tickets from will call and they were front row! The actors didn't even need microphones, it was that close.

Seeing James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie in Aladdin. Seeing Billy Porter in Kinky Boots. And any of the tours from Broadway Up Close,,,they are all great! https://www.broadwayupclose.com/. Tim and his team have so much to share about the history of Broadway. My last tour, the guide is the dance captain for Merrily.

Wife and I are going to see Aladdin this weekend on Broadway! Any recommendations in general while we are in NYC for the weekend?

I have only seen two shows on Broadway, but it was NPH in Hedwig, and Daniel Radcliffe in Cripple of Inishman, which was incredible!
Everything else I see touring. I able to see Anthony and Aadam in Rent when they toured, and see them together in concert from the front row, and meet them back stage a few years back.

Update from an earlier post: this year's Wicked touring cast is the best I've seen (out of four). I would definitely recommend seeing it if the tour comes by soon. Olivia Valli as Elphaba, Celia Hottenstein as Glinda, and Christian Thompson as Fiero.

How was Merrily? I really want to see that. Masterful score.
I have seen it twice (October and January), and I found it just delightful. The first time Lindsay Mendez was out, but the understudy was wonderful. The chemistry really is a bit better with her in, though. The orchestra is great, and the performances were excellent.

I have seen it twice (October and January), and I found it just delightful. The first time Lindsay Mendez was out, but the understudy was wonderful. The chemistry really is a bit better with her in, though. The orchestra is great, and the performances were excellent.
When it's done right, it's hard to understand why this show has such a problematic history. The score is just a shade under top tier Sondheim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter