~The Daily Grind~ 6/8/10

Pam the best piece of advice our advocate ever gave us and I can't remember if I've told you before was to have an agenda. they usually have one for them to hand out. Well as they were handing/passing out theirs I went oh by the way here is ours. And this is what we will be going by FIRST. then I nailed them with copies of everytest highlighted the points that proved why we needed XY and Z. and I hit them with so much information that by the time they needed to be done we never made it to their agenda. That was pretty much the last meeting I needed to go to. All the little ones have been for the 3 year testing reports and other than the one dingbat no issues. I have found a few things over the course of the year that just need tweaking. But I have to say it's been the easiest year. So there will be light at theend of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Yep - that is extremely good advice. It shows you've prepared and have come with your "A game." We always come with a printed agenda - and in fact, are the ones who have called this meeting - so it opens with...."So Mr and Mrs.... you've called this meeting for the purpose of..." And we take it from there in the next breath.

The challenge always is - to keep the meeting moving. Funny how side and incidental discussions *always* seem to waste time and then newbie SPED parents hear... "Wow, we're out of time and all have to go. We'll have to reschedule another meeting to continue this discussion..." That happened to us in the early days. We've wised up considerably since then! Part of the typical school tactics are to run out the clock, delay, stall, etc. as much as possible for as long as possible. Sad, but true.

It's just not right that they are playing games with kids. Time matters, and delays cause bigger issues. Good thing you know their game and know how to play to your advantage.

The funny thing is, when I was reading what you were saying, I was thinking... It's not when she is upset that they need to worry, it's when she has become quiet and brutally focused. Sending P&PD that you are able to get satisfaction :wizard:

DH and I just got back from the PO. Took in our passport apps...

Dreamin of the Disney Dream!!

But my pic is TERRIBLE!! DH and I laughed! It looks like a mug shot...and I look really guilty :confused3

Off to start the Faux-tato salad for the beach this weekend

The stuffy lady in front of us might not have appreciated, but what did I care at that point? :confused3

Phoey on her, you are entitled to be as proud as you are!!!

Rita and DIT, safe travels, have great trips.

Linda, :hug::hug: you and Mr. B must be exhausted. Yup, you've earned some girl time.

Deb, just think of how you will look traveling then clearing customs. Bet the picture will be right on. DD's first passport picture was of her screaming, DH's looked like :rolleyes1 and mine was basically :scared1:. Yup, that is exactly how we look when we travel. :lmao:

Pam, hang tough and give 'em heck. Happy to hear DH didn't have to go back to the hospital.

My to do list:

Day 2 of getting back on schedule. Going a little better than yesterday. Last week was brutal, especially on DD.
Feed cats
Write in DD's communication log.
Get DD up and ready for school :eek:
caffeinate
work
fold laundry
dinner - fish and salad
oversee tubby time
ride two miles on the bike.
put some laundry away
Get some long overdue DIS time :yay:

Christy, the school stuff is still a major mess, but the "come to Jesus" meeting is this Friday. Either they'll get on board with the private school idea, or they won't. (Wait, wait... I think I know...! :rolleyes1) But, then we'll proceed to the state hearing/court level and it will just have to play out there and he won't have a school to attend come September. And, I'll just reach into my back pocket and pull out the $30K in lawyer's fees we'll have to shell out...:headache: - sigh.

But, NO HOSPITAL! So, life is good! :thumbsup2

Hang tough! I know personally two single women with special needs daughters who have beaten their school distracts. It CAN be done.

Pam the best piece of advice our advocate ever gave us and I can't remember if I've told you before was to have an agenda. they usually have one for them to hand out. Well as they were handing/passing out theirs I went oh by the way here is ours. And this is what we will be going by FIRST. then I nailed them with copies of everytest highlighted the points that proved why we needed XY and Z. and I hit them with so much information that by the time they needed to be done we never made it to their agenda. That was pretty much the last meeting I needed to go to. All the little ones have been for the 3 year testing reports and other than the one dingbat no issues. I have found a few things over the course of the year that just need tweaking. But I have to say it's been the easiest year. So there will be light at theend of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Christy's so right.

It's just not right that they are playing games with kids. Time matters, and delays cause bigger issues. Good thing you know their game and know how to play to your advantage.

The funny thing is, when I was reading what you were saying, I was thinking... It's not when she is upset that they need to worry, it's when she has become quiet and brutally focused. Sending P&PD that you are able to get satisfaction :wizard:
Yup - that's a mom of a special kid. You have something on your side they don't have - MOTHER LOVE is your motivation!

Linda, :hug::hug: you and Mr. B must be exhausted. Yup, you've earned some girl time.

Lisa, you have said a mouthful. We were so stressed :dance3: this afternoon we adjourned directly from the nursing home to the donut bank where I had TWO count 'em T W O donuts with my coffee and diabetes be damned!

Dusting baby Blythe!

Sleep sweetly, everyone.

Linda you earned those 2! I hope you enjoyed every bite!!!!! Hang in there. It's such a hard road. I watch a couple of the people that come into the center and wonder everyday how much longer will they be able. 1 is really going down hill quickly, the other just has his days.
Hang tough still thinking about the 2 of you.

I just read this whole thread and can't believe what a great group we have here. Everyone is so supportive. We really do care about each other.

Hang in there everyone. I'm thinking about all of you that are dealing with something. Life is so hard some days. Hugs to all my friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter