The DIS Dad's Club IX - The Fastest Moving Thread Around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it looks like its gonna be a late night here. Already 11:45 and were headed to overtime game 7. Go Hawks!!!

They are not good for my heart though, it took Vancouver 2 minutes 43 seconds to score the first goal and it took the Hawks 55 minutes 21 seconds to answer. Great goaltending by Crawford thus far.

I just hope my 8:00 am call is kind to me. ;)

Well it looks like its gonna be a late night here. Already 11:45 and were headed to overtime game 7. Go Hawks!!!

They are not good for my heart though, it took Vancouver 2 minutes 43 seconds to score the first goal and it took the Hawks 55 minutes 21 seconds to answer. Great goaltending by Crawford thus far.

I just hope my 8:00 am call is kind to me. ;)

Trying to contain my excitement with a sleeping baby on my lap. Good night so far - Sox and Bulls win. Come on Hawks!!:banana::banana::banana:

Trying to contain my excitement with a sleeping baby on my lap. Good night so far - Sox and Bulls win. Come on Hawks!!:banana::banana::banana:

So, when the Hawks win, the only question I have is will we be able to hear Goalie Bob's sob's here in Chicago?

Just in under the wire.

Okay, guys, put away the 55 gallon drum of Beverly and the funnel.

beverly1.jpg

So, when the Hawks win, the only question I have is will we be able to hear Goalie Bob's sob's here in Chicago?

Crawford deserved better than to be hung out to dry by his defenseman like that.

Gonna be another long day at the office tomorrow. All-day mandatory settlement conference, and both sides are pretty well dug in. Ugh.

We had a Lake View, but with the late fireworks this time of year (10pm vs. 9pm), our kids were never awake anyway. It had great views of the lake and the atrium area in the center of the building, and I spent 2 or 3 mornings on the balcony watching the son rise over Bay Lake with my son. Priceless. I'm sure that we'll save up for MK view again, but Lake View was fine.
:thumbsup2 i will be walking out the long boat dock in 50 days to watch that same sight.:thumbsup2
Well...I may have jumped the gun and got too excited earlier....

After giving my SIL the estimated costs for a week in the world next spring...she's having sticker shock and looks to be dropping the idea like a hot rock! :headache:

Wish me luck in trying to sell her on the value!
good luck.:thumbsup2
I've mentioned it before but if you could keep my FIL in your thoughts and prayers we'd really appreciate it. He had early stage prostate cancer and they performed an out patient procedure to freeze it and that went very we'll. While recovering he tore something internally and so they put him on bedrest. During the bedrest he wound up with chest pain caused by a blood clot in his lung. He was rushed to the ER and has been hospitalized since Saturday. It looks like things have improved some but he'd really like to come home and so far he's counts haven't improved enough for them to release him.
hopefully he will be out soon trike. glad to hear improvement.:thumbsup2
Most definitely. Lifting him up as I type, as well as for you and your wife.

My own FIL has been going down hill, with a visit to the doctor yesterday showing him that the tumor on his liver has once again doubled in size. My DW has now scheduled another trip out there at the end of May, beginning of June. The docs have also said that they believe he'll be gone before the summer is over. Time will tell of course, but she needs to spend more time with him - so she'll go, and we'll manage here on the homefront once again.
keeping him in the prayers stopher.

:lmao: this pic should be on the first page. :lmao:

Bummer

Definitely! Well worth it - and of course, a must-do for any true Disney fan, at least once in their lifetime. It is, afterall, the place that started it all. There would be no WDW without Disneyland.

DL is a very different animal than WDW in many, many ways. Of course the first thing everyone thinks about is the size difference - but - and this truly is a HUGE but - DL is located in the heart of an extremely populated area, whereas WDW is not. Let me explain a little first, as you will see why in a moment.

Southern California is really unlike so many other parts of the country. Cities and towns in other parts of the country end, and are often surrounded by green space before you arrive at the next city or town. Southern Cal is truly a congolomeration of many, many cities and towns that all run together - one ends and immediately you are in the next one. Sure this happens in lots of metro areas -but they stop sooner rather than later. In So Cal - you can honestly drive for 200+ miles and not have left the metropolitan area yet. There are five major counties that make up the L.A. Basin - populated by about 23 million people in that general area alone, out of the nearly 37 or so million in the state. Disneyland has an Annual Passholder base of well over 1.2 million people alone - and it's growing all the time.

Just as I have described my own experience of living out there, (and being an AP holder for more than 19 years) - many of those AP holders will "pop in" for dinner, or an attraction after work. Many others will just go and hang out for some shopping, etc. Not only is Disneyland an entertainment venue - but it is a shopping venue, a dining venue - and often times - serves as a "safe place" for kids to go to after school.

Thanks to the extreme decorating that takes place for the fall and winter holidays (Halloween begins right around Labor Day - and switches to Christmas within about 2 days after Halloween ends) December is a very popular time of year for the locals. Both the "Haunted Mansion Holiday" and the "It's a Small World Holiday" overlays are EXTREMELY popular, bringning tons of people in to the parks year after year after year. Both have been done for the past 13 or more years (IASWH for 15 or 16). Let alone the snow on Main Street, and the Christmas Fantasy parade, Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks... and on, and on.

Southern Cal also does not have a single school calendar - but rather many different ones. A number of districts adopted "year round" schedules many years back, whereby kids will go to school for like 8 -10 weeks, then have 2 or 3 off, and then go for another 8 -10, etc. Others operate on a traditional schedule... but it's not a true benchmark for when to expect lower crowds.

Just as WDW is a huge draw for folks from the midwest & everything east of the Mississippi river... DL is a huge draw for folks from the central plains west. It's a driving trip for many of them - and they go!

Naturally the worst crowds will happen in the later half of the month (we experienced the biggest day in their history on Dec. 28th, 2010 when they stopped selling tickets at 10 am having already reached capacity)... but early on it can be very busy as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way - just arm you with information as you plan and investigate such an incredibly AWESOME potential trip.

As far as time to spend there - I would say 4 days is great. That would give you the opportunity to explore and enjoy both of the parks - and get repeat visits in to favorite attractions. Physically the parks are separated by about 200 paces (average man's stride) - and the entrances face each other. Hopping between the parks is extremely easy. (The entire resort is only about 600 +/- acres, and could fit inside Animal Kingdom and it's parking lot). Downtown Disney is located just to the west of the entrance esplanade, as are the three resort hotels. That number of days would allow you to enjoy DTD and the resort amenities as well. Of course more would be great - but it really is a good amount.

Surrounding DL - Southern California has ample other activities, places of interest and things to do as well. Beaches (they are warm in the winter months) are just about 20 minutes away. Of course Hollywood is not far away - and then there are the other theme parks such as Universal Studios Hollywood (it is an actual working studio - you never know who or what you'll see there - and the Backlot Tour is amazing - I worked there in high school too). Knott's Berry Farm is just about 10 minutes from DL, and truly is the original theme park in America. Legoland is not too far south, and then there is Sea World and the world famous San Diego Zoo. If you like skiing - there's some nice skiing not too far away in the local mountains - and of course the various sporting events as well.

Things to think about too:

• Disneyland does NOT have a dining plan like WDW. What they do have is voucher based and stinks... it's better to just pay cash.
  • ADR's (called Priority Seating out there) are made 60 days or less (Not 180) - and often are available to walk-up guests (though I wouldn't count on it in December).
  • There is no DME-type service from the local airports (there are several), though there are buses that you can PAY for to get to DL. John Wayne (SNA) is the closest airport, but also one of the costliest to fly in and out of. LAX of course has the most availability being the largest. Long Beach and Ontario are great alternatives. You will need a car if you plan on going anywhere else in So Cal.
  • Like WDW - anything within the "price distortion zone" around the resort will cost more. The same meal you might buy at McDonald's at home will be 20-35% higher at the location on Harbor Blvd, directly across the street from the park.
  • If you have any unused park tickets from WDW - you can turn them in at the ticket booth and redeem them for DL tickets - at least that was still true as of January - you might want to research that on the DL board to be 100% certain.
  • Of course, DL has a variety of unique attractions not available at WDW - which are "selling points" too. WORLD OF COLOR at DCA being a huge one. The Matterhorn, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Pincchio's Daring Journey, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Storybookland Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes, Indiana Jones & The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Sailing Ship Columbia, Alice in Wonderland... just to name a few. Plus of course New Orleans Square & Critter Country - and the longer versions of It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain and the actual STRETCHING Stretching Room in the Haunted Mansion taking you underground and outside the berm....
I'm always happy to answer other questions as they come up.

This is great information! Thanks. I'm thinking about a surprise trip to DL for my family!

Not sure what your plans were, but have you considered doing an offsite vacation home that would cut some of the accommodation costs. If you got a large enough home where you all could split costs, it might work out better.

Just offering suggestions.

Thanks MiddlePat....we've thought about staying off-site. But I believe everyone in my immediate family wants to experience what it's like to stay on property for our first ever week at the World.

I sent my SIL an email last night stating exactly this...that we feel it's the right time for our family to spend the $$ and stay on property.

I'm trying not to rock the proverbial family boat by suggesting that we stay in separate locataions! :gasp: We've always stayed together when we've gone on vacation in the past.

If only we knew some travel agents... ;)

Been there...done that....atleast I'm getting started :cool1:

I apologize; I think that I was channeling my comment with what I was assuming was your frustration over the sudden halt in plans. Key word in bold. I should learn to stop assuming so much.

Wish me luck that I can find a compromise that works for everyone!

I've mentioned it before but if you could keep my FIL in your thoughts and prayers we'd really appreciate it. He had early stage prostate cancer and they performed an out patient procedure to freeze it and that went very we'll. While recovering he tore something internally and so they put him on bedrest. During the bedrest he wound up with chest pain caused by a blood clot in his lung. He was rushed to the ER and has been hospitalized since Saturday. It looks like things have improved some but he'd really like to come home and so far he's counts haven't improved enough for them to release him.

We will keep him in our prayers :thumbsup2

Most definitely. Lifting him up as I type, as well as for you and your wife.

My own FIL has been going down hill, with a visit to the doctor yesterday showing him that the tumor on his liver has once again doubled in size. My DW has now scheduled another trip out there at the end of May, beginning of June. The docs have also said that they believe he'll be gone before the summer is over. Time will tell of course, but she needs to spend more time with him - so she'll go, and we'll manage here on the homefront once again.

Stopher you guys are in our prayers as well :grouphug:

Hey guys figured I would stop by quick and say hi. Haven't been able to keep up with the thread because of computer problems. My work computer crashed two weeks ago and I am still waiting to get a new one. To make it worse, our home computer got a virus and I need to send that to get fixed. This has limited my ability to keep up. Hopefully one of the computers gets fixed soon.

Kevin

Keeping both of you and your families in mind, thought and prayers.

DL is a very different animal than WDW in many, many ways. Of course the first thing everyone thinks about is the size difference - but - and this truly is a HUGE but - DL is located in the heart of an extremely populated area, whereas WDW is not…

Great post. I’ll have to save this one. thanks :thumbsup2

Wow, nice information about schedule. I am surely come in anyone date of that. I want to go to Disney. :D

:welcome:
Howdy! Are you joining up or just passing through. I’d recommend staying a while. This is a great place to hang out.

Podcast Episode 5 is in the can and uploading so that Josh can edit it. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

:cool1:

Gonna be another long day at the office tomorrow. All-day mandatory settlement conference, and both sides are pretty well dug in. Ugh.

May the day go quickly. I hate long days, but nearly all of my days seem interminable anymore. I use to love my job, but now I just survive it. I’d chuck it all if it weren’t for that whole responsibilities and commitments thing. Dang sad :sad2:

Hey guys figured I would stop by quick and say hi. Haven't been able to keep up with the thread because of computer problems. My work computer crashed two weeks ago and I am still waiting to get a new one. To make it worse, our home computer got a virus and I need to send that to get fixed. This has limited my ability to keep up. Hopefully one of the computers gets fixed soon.
Kevin

We’ll be here when you get back. Just jump on back into the fray once you get everything straightened out.

When I first tried to explain it to my wife she acted like I told her I was going to dye my hair purple and dance in the street nightly. Now she just complains I spend too much time on them.

Its really hard to explain to co-workers that aren't Disney people.

You spend your free time reading about what?

Bad News I had to cancel our January trip for marathon weekend. for some reason DW thinks spending 2k on a couples weekend so we can run is a little exorbitant.

Good NewsI think I have almost convinced her spending the money on a Dec trip to DL is a good use of our money.

How many days should we budget for DL and California adventure? Is midweek during the 2nd week in Dec a crowded time? All my trip planning stuff is WDW focussed I need to get some DL stuff.

We did 4 days and I think it wasn't enough. Of course we when during the areas Spring Break and I sure the 2nd week of Dec will be slower, but if it was me, i would do 5 or 6 days. I priced it out the 1st part of this week and found it could be cheaper that the same time in WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter