• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

So last year I stayed at Disneyland hotel for the first time and ended up with an upgrade to a deluxe view. I'm coming back in September but booked a standard. What is the difference between the two? Just the floor?

I have just gone over and over trying to figure out what the DLH offers that justifies the cost, and I’m coming up pretty empty.

There is the 1 hour early access to the park in the mornings. But considering I already get 1 hour with my ticket, then I would really only get 3 early morning days, so $333 for 1 extra hour in the park.

Other than some special theming, I’m just not seeing the benefit of the cost, personally.

What are your thoughts on what makes it worth it to you? I have never stayed there so I’m sure I’m missing something (and I would love to stay there...as I said, I have tried and tried to justify it but haven’t been able to!)
I'm a big fan of the DLH, and while GCH is the "best" on property hotel, I actually think I like staying at DLH more.

I've stayed at all the on-property hotels and several of the hotels on Harbor many times over the past 10-15 years. There are a lot of objective factors that make one hotel better than another - room size, amenities, location, how "up to date" the decor and furnishings are. The DLH is nice, but it's not obviously "better" than other hotels in the area on these objective factors. There are hotels that have bigger rooms, locations that are just as close (or closer), pools that are comparable (or better), etc. If you are judging the value of the DLH over another on objective factors, then it may never make sense to stay at the DLH. And there are lots of people who would agree that the price of the DLH doesn't make sense compared to what you can get at other nearby hotels.

Having said all that, I still like staying at the DLH. Here are some of the things I enjoy that make it worth it to me:

I do think there is a bubble staying on property as opposed to staying off property. This is totally subjective, but it's easier to forget the real world when I don't have to walk out into it, even for a few minutes. Even if the walk to the DLH is a little longer than walking to a hotel on harbor, I much prefer that walk thru DTD than going thru the Transportation Center and Harbor. And compared to GCH (which is great, don't get me wrong) I actually like that the DLH is just a little more removed from the hustle and bustle of DTD and the always crowded GCH lobby.

I like the valet parking and bell service at DLH. I like getting EMH at DL and DCA. I like sitting in the chairs outside the Fantasy Tower in the evening on the walk back form the park. I like taking a stroll on the DLH grounds... over the pool to Trader Sam's, by the fireplace, around Cascade Falls & Ol' Unfaithful, and thru the Rose Garden. I'm also a fan of the restaurants at DLH, so it's likely that on any given trip I'll end up at at least one of them.

I totally get why some people don't think it's worth staying there. Objectively, there's plenty of arguments against it, but It's just a nice, relaxing place, that has a lot of subjective value to me.

Thinking about a DLR trip in 2021 (yeah, I know. Armchair traveling at this point.) I think the DLH looks really cool. But the difference in cost to the hotels just on the other side of the park is significant. My question is this: what things can we do at the DLH as visitors? Trader Sam's, I'm guessing. Goofy's? What else? At WDW you can pretty much walk around and experience everything except the rooms and pool. With one or two "meal" type visits, I think I might see enough to give it a pass. I can use the savings on blow-out meals at the DLH, for example. Thoughts?
In DLH there are teacup chairs in the lobby. You’re welcome to walk around and see the historic photos on the walls.

I'm a big fan of the DLH, and while GCH is the "best" on property hotel, I actually think I like staying at DLH more.

I've stayed at all the on-property hotels and several of the hotels on Harbor many times over the past 10-15 years. There are a lot of objective factors that make one hotel better than another - room size, amenities, location, how "up to date" the decor and furnishings are. The DLH is nice, but it's not obviously "better" than other hotels in the area on these objective factors. There are hotels that have bigger rooms, locations that are just as close (or closer), pools that are comparable (or better), etc. If you are judging the value of the DLH over another on objective factors, then it may never make sense to stay at the DLH. And there are lots of people who would agree that the price of the DLH doesn't make sense compared to what you can get at other nearby hotels.

Having said all that, I still like staying at the DLH. Here are some of the things I enjoy that make it worth it to me:

I do think there is a bubble staying on property as opposed to staying off property. This is totally subjective, but it's easier to forget the real world when I don't have to walk out into it, even for a few minutes. Even if the walk to the DLH is a little longer than walking to a hotel on harbor, I much prefer that walk thru DTD than going thru the Transportation Center and Harbor. And compared to GCH (which is great, don't get me wrong) I actually like that the DLH is just a little more removed from the hustle and bustle of DTD and the always crowded GCH lobby.

I like the valet parking and bell service at DLH. I like getting EMH at DL and DCA. I like sitting in the chairs outside the Fantasy Tower in the evening on the walk back form the park. I like taking a stroll on the DLH grounds... over the pool to Trader Sam's, by the fireplace, around Cascade Falls & Ol' Unfaithful, and thru the Rose Garden. I'm also a fan of the restaurants at DLH, so it's likely that on any given trip I'll end up at at least one of them.

I totally get why some people don't think it's worth staying there. Objectively, there's plenty of arguments against it, but It's just a nice, relaxing place, that has a lot of subjective value to me.

Thank you for this!

So last year I stayed at Disneyland hotel for the first time and ended up with an upgrade to a deluxe view. I'm coming back in September but booked a standard. What is the difference between the two? Just the floor?
I'm interested in this, too. I'm thinking it's probably a higher floor and a nicer view.

We are also booked standard, but we'll be checking in relatively early (like 10:30-11:00 am) so I will ask if there are any free upgrades available. Sometimes you get lucky. We were upgraded to a nicer, courtyard view at GCH when we stayed there.

I priced out a reservation for an upgraded concierge level room at Anaheim Marriott (with a private balcony and city view), and it was still $1000 less than a standard room at DLH!

Last week, we spent 3 days at the Paradise Pier in a club room, followed two days later by a one night stay at the Marriott (somewhere in this forum is a thread where I did a detailed review of our stay at the PP). Although we love the PP, the Marriott concierge rooms are undoubtedly a better deal. The evening food and morning breakfast at the Marriott were exceptional. The only change in food quality I saw at the Marriott, when compared to our past stays, is that there were only two desserts served during the 8pm - 10pm dessert time (chocolate chip cookies and a type of coffee cake). During our other stays, numerous desserts were served, and they tended to be quite fancy.

When there is no convention in town, the rates at the Marriott are down right reasonable.

Yesterday, for my future reference, I made a list of prices at the various hotels that have some sort of evening meal, for Wednesday August 28, 2019. The prices for the PP, Marriott, and Sheraton Park are for club level, the other two hotels offer an evening meal to all guests. We've stayed at all five hotels in the past, I like them all. All hotels except the Marriott offer free alcohol (somehow, free beer always tastes better to me than beer that I pay for).

All prices are pre-tax, 2 adults and 1 child, basic room with 2 beds:

$487 - Paradise Pier, club level
$175 - Marriott, club level
$148 - Sheraton Park, club level
$138 - Homewood (evening reception Mon to Thurs)
$93 - Staybridge (evening reception Mon to Weds)

Interestingly, the above rank based on cost is identical to how I'd rank the hotels if cost was not a factor.

At the above prices, and considering hotel locations, I'd definitely pick the Homewood (it is ranked #1 on TripAdvisor). The Marriott definitely has the best quality food of the five hotels.

As much as I like the PP, they have priced themselves out of my price range. And don't get me started on the rates at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian...

Last week, we spent 3 days at the Paradise Pier in a club room, followed two days later by a one night stay at the Marriott (somewhere in this forum is a thread where I did a detailed review of our stay at the PP). Although we love the PP, the Marriott concierge rooms are undoubtedly a better deal. The evening food and morning breakfast at the Marriott were exceptional. The only change in food quality I saw at the Marriott, when compared to our past stays, is that there were only two desserts served during the 8pm - 10pm dessert time (chocolate chip cookies and a type of coffee cake). During our other stays, numerous desserts were served, and they tended to be quite fancy.

When there is no convention in town, the rates at the Marriott are down right reasonable.

Yesterday, for my future reference, I made a list of prices at the various hotels that have some sort of evening meal, for Wednesday August 28, 2019. The prices for the PP, Marriott, and Sheraton Park are for club level, the other two hotels offer an evening meal to all guests. We've stayed at all five hotels in the past, I like them all. All hotels except the Marriott offer free alcohol (somehow, free beer always tastes better to me than beer that I pay for).

All prices are pre-tax, 2 adults and 1 child, basic room with 2 beds:

$487 - Paradise Pier, club level
$175 - Marriott, club level
$148 - Sheraton Park, club level
$138 - Homewood (evening reception Mon to Thurs)
$93 - Staybridge (evening reception Mon to Weds)

Interestingly, the above rank based on cost is identical to how I'd rank the hotels if cost was not a factor.

At the above prices, and considering hotel locations, I'd definitely pick the Homewood (it is ranked #1 on TripAdvisor). The Marriott definitely has the best quality food of the five hotels.

As much as I like the PP, they have priced themselves out of my price range. And don't get me started on the rates at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian...

I am actually booked at Homewood Suites. It was by far the cheapest option, and I have heard good things about it.

I looked into a standard room at PP, but even the standard room is expensive (I believe it was $335 per night, no discounts available). And it just seems too far from the parks to me for that price.

My question is this: what things can we do at the DLH as visitors? Trader Sam's, I'm guessing. Goofy's? What else? At WDW you can pretty much walk around and experience everything except the rooms and pool. With one or two "meal" type visits, I think I might see enough to give it a pass. I can use the savings on blow-out meals at the DLH, for example. Thoughts?
You'll be able to walk around the grounds and access everything that isn't part of the pools. You don't need to stay there to eat at the restaurants. There are nice pictures in the lobby area and the gift shop there is pretty good, too. Steakhouse 55 is great. Trader Sam's has great atmosphere, but often poor service. Goofy's Kitchen is fun if you have children with you. I think the food is pretty bad there, but the character interaction is good. Just make sure you make reservations if you plan to go to Steakhouse 55 or Goofy's.

I'm interested in this, too. I'm thinking it's probably a higher floor and a nicer view.

We are also booked standard, but we'll be checking in relatively early (like 10:30-11:00 am) so I will ask if there are any free upgrades available. Sometimes you get lucky. We were upgraded to a nicer, courtyard view at GCH when we stayed there.

It sounds like its just the view. I'm going to see at check in if theres any free upgrades. Never hurts to ask.

Thinking about a DLR trip in 2021 (yeah, I know. Armchair traveling at this point.) I think the DLH looks really cool. But the difference in cost to the hotels just on the other side of the park is significant. My question is this: what things can we do at the DLH as visitors? Trader Sam's, I'm guessing. Goofy's? What else? At WDW you can pretty much walk around and experience everything except the rooms and pool. With one or two "meal" type visits, I think I might see enough to give it a pass. I can use the savings on blow-out meals at the DLH, for example. Thoughts?

We really like Steakhouse 55 at the DLH. We've done both dinner and breakfast (underrated and delicious, imo).

I just got an email from Disney saying the 15% off on select rooms at Disneyland hotel has been extended to September 26th, Sun-Thurs nights. We have three rooms booked Wed-Sunday, so it only applies to us for two nights. But I called and got right on with a CM, and had it adjusted; saved a goodly chunk of change. I feel better about booking there, now. Although, when I booked, the prices weren't so bad as they are now anyway.

I have just gone over and over trying to figure out what the DLH offers that justifies the cost, and I’m coming up pretty empty.

There is the 1 hour early access to the park in the mornings. But considering I already get 1 hour with my ticket, then I would really only get 3 early morning days, so $333 for 1 extra hour in the park.

Other than some special theming, I’m just not seeing the benefit of the cost, personally.

What are your thoughts on what makes it worth it to you? I have never stayed there so I’m sure I’m missing something (and I would love to stay there...as I said, I have tried and tried to justify it but haven’t been able to!)

Well for our family, 2010 was our first visit to DLH and I had not been to WDW yet, so the Disney themed hotel was new and a treat for us, being immersed in Disney. Maybe back then it felt more affordable and worth the perks. Now that my boys are older, its more making these memories with them while they are still "kids". Having that memory there with them when they were little and then now that they are older. The hotel feels special with the Disney theming. I do wish they offered a little more, like a breakfast or something. I definitely prefer the Orlando Disney hotels and pricing compared to Anaheim. The next time we do Disneyland we probably will not chose a Disney hotel unless there was some wild discount.

I just got an email from Disney saying the 15% off on select rooms at Disneyland hotel has been extended to September 26th, Sun-Thurs nights. We have three rooms booked Wed-Sunday, so it only applies to us for two nights. But I called and got right on with a CM, and had it adjusted; saved a goodly chunk of change. I feel better about booking there, now. Although, when I booked, the prices weren't so bad as they are now anyway.
I'm booked through Costco, I wonder if they will give me the better rate for our first few nights? Perhaps not if their rates are locked in.

ETA: I just went to look at the current price to see if it was lower, and the only rooms available for our dates now is a premium view or a a suite. So it must be pretty well booked up?

Quick question I can't seem to find the answer to online, can we bring our own food to the pool? I was hoping to grab some sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich for a mid day pool break but didn't want to break any rules.

Quick question I can't seem to find the answer to online, can we bring our own food to the pool? I was hoping to grab some sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich for a mid day pool break but didn't want to break any rules.
I'd like to know too! We are planning a pool day and wondered what our options where in terms of bringing in food from Downtown Disney.

Don’t know about food, but when the cast member who was taking orders came by to ask if I wanted anything, she did NOT have an issue with the giant Starbucks drink I had sitting there (which I had obviously brought in from the outside).

We did that very thing our last trip. If I recall correctly the only rules were no glassware and no alcohol from outside.

I think I have lost my mind, but I am seriously considering switching to DLH from PPH for our trip in 2 weeks. I just can’t get away from it and can’t manage to talk myself out of it. 😬 I grew up a few miles from Disneyland and the warm happy feelings I get watching videos of the hotel just brings me right back to my childhood.

Good thing my other kids love the values at WDW, because this may be the only time I ever spend $450 a night on a hotel room! (I am taking my 22 year old son for his first ever Disney trip!!! He never wanted to go before, but SWGE changed his mind!)

Well, I did it!!! And I am super excited! :banana:

So for this trip I ended up going from Candy Cane Inn (and a few other Good Neighbor Hotels) to PPH to DLH. This trip had better get here quick before I end up at GCH in a club level suite! :rotfl:

In all seriousness, the difference between DLH and PPH was only around $550, which is worth it, I think. Especially for my son’s first visit!

Last edited:
Well, I did it!!! And I am super excited! :banana:

So for this trip I ended up going from Candy Cane Inn (and a few other Good Neighbor Hotels) to PPH to DLH. This trip had better get here quick before I end up at GCH in a club level suite! :rotfl:

In all seriousness, the difference is between DLH and PPH was only around $550, which is worth it, I think. Especially for my son’s first visit!
I did something similar this trip, we’d been book at PPH, but then I just had to look up the DLH prices and it wasn’t that much more for our stay. I’m pretty sure there is something in the water there. We stayed at DLH last November and it was so amazing now I don’t think I can do anywhere else. At least when traveling with DD. To watch her face when the headboard lights up is so fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter